Author Topic: Polls & Survivors Tracker Thread  (Read 8403 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Polls & Survivors Tracker Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2018, 05:29:00 AM »
I would like to announce that Iced Earth Survivor is being prepared at the moment :) It will have pre survivor part of course which determines the amount of songs that qualify from each album into the finals. It will have artwork survivor part as well, because IMO Iced Earth album covers deserves it. It will start probably somewhere in the beginning of August, maybe faster so You have a lot of time for relistening Iced Earth discography. ;)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2018, 03:40:27 AM »
So... how would y'all feel about a Mars Volta survivor? ;)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2018, 03:48:38 AM »
Hell yeah, I'd be in. Would you include Tremulant and bonus stuff though or just the LP's? Cause I'm not very familiar with that EP and for example the Frances the Mute title track
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2018, 04:11:31 AM »
Hell yeah, I'd be in. Would you include Tremulant and bonus stuff though or just the LP's? Cause I'm not very familiar with that EP and for example the Frances the Mute title track

I'd probably include the EP & all the B-Sides in a separate "non-album tracks" division.

So that'd be:
-Cut That City [EP]
-Concertina [EP]
-Eunuch Provocateur [EP]
-A Plague Upon Your Hissing [DLITC]
-Ambuletz [DLITC]
-The Bible And The Breathalyzer [FTM]
-Frances The Mute [FTM]
-Abrasions Across The Timpani [SD]
-Caviglia [SD]
-Haruspex [SD]
-Back Up Against The Wall [TBIG]
-Birthday [TBIG]
-Candy And A Currant Bun [TBIG]
-Pulled To Bits [TBIG]
-Memories [TBIG]
-Things Behind The Sun [TBIG]
-Mr. Muggs [TBIG]

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2018, 04:21:00 AM »
Sad to write that, but I've never listened to Mars Volta... It'll be good oportunity to do that ;) I'm in !

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 05:56:51 AM »
Oh wow, as someone who considers The Mars Volta (one of) their favourite artist(s), I should really look more into their bonus tracks, have not heard of most of those! This survivor would be a great opportunity to do that, though I quickly youtubed some of the stuff and it seems for example Caviglia is just a 2 minute passage with nothing really to it
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 07:19:39 AM »

It would be rather pointless; Cassandra Gemini wins and the order of the rest of the songs doesn't matter that much :neveruesthis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
:neveruesthis:
:neverusethis:

i'd vote for some of a TMV survivor but i only know/care about the first three albums and refuse to listen to anything bedlam-related anyways

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
how about this hilarious 2/10 review for Frances the Mute, from someone who clearly doesn't understand anything about what he listened to:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5118-frances-the-mute/
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
lol pitchfork

to be fair, i would not give bedlam much higher of a score than that, except i refuse to listen to it and thus refuse to score it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Why would you refuse to listen to it?
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 05:57:34 PM »
because the last two times i tried to listen to it were genuinely painful and unpleasant in a way that no album has ever made me feel

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »

It would be rather pointless; Cassandra Gemini wins

But that's 8 songs though

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:20 AM »
how about this hilarious 2/10 review for Frances the Mute, from someone who clearly doesn't understand anything about what he listened to:
Lol the highest rating they gave for a TMV album was Octahedron, their worst album, with a convincing 6/10!

:neverusethis:

My favourite song isn't Cassandra Gemini though

because the last two times i tried to listen to it were genuinely painful and unpleasant in a way that no album has ever made me feel
Bedlam is the Bladecatcher of Blood Mountain. Groovy, but with very weird high-pitched vocal effects

i love it

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2018, 03:59:02 AM »
imo TMV (with the exception of Frances The Mute) got worse with each album they made.

De-Loused In The Comatorium - 9/10
Frances The Mute - 10/10
Amputechture - 8/10
The Bedlam In Goliath - 6/10
Octahedron - 5/10
Noctourniquet - i can't get through the first track/10

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »

that's weird

Oh, don't get me started about how ridiculously the track has been cut on the CD version. It's not even in line with the song movements! That's like the sloppiest CD editing ever.

Lol the highest rating they gave for a TMV album was Octahedron, their worst album, with a convincing 6/10!

I know!

Bedlam is the Bladecatcher of Blood Mountain. Groovy, but with very weird high-pitched vocal effects

i love it

Blood Mountain is Mastodon's best album
Squ

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »

Oh, don't get me started about how ridiculously the track has been cut on the CD version. It's not even in line with the song movements! That's like the sloppiest CD editing ever.

What's weirder is the reason why they had to split it up at all. Apparently they had to split it because they'd only be paid an EP's wages if they released a 5-track album. Like, I don't care what label you are, 76 minutes is not an EP. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2018, 05:59:52 AM »

that's weird
yes

i love it

Blood Mountain is Mastodon's best album
yes

imo TMV (with the exception of Frances The Mute) got worse with each album they made.

De-Loused In The Comatorium - 9/10
Frances The Mute - 10/10
Amputechture - 8/10
The Bedlam In Goliath - 6/10
Octahedron - 5/10
Noctourniquet - i can't get through the first track/10

Hmm, I'm not sure if I can do this. Noctourniquet is super inconsistent for me as I love 3 or 4 tracks on it but don't really care for the others. Octahedron is the same but I only love about 2 and the others aren't as bad but the highs not as high either. Amputechture, Deloused and Frances are all god-tier for me (Frances being the 10/10) and Bedlam just a tad below it

Offline LordCost

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Bedlam is my favourite TMV album and I'm curious about all the bonus tracks of that album that I've never heard before. It's like they had a second cd of b-sides. I was aware of all the other bonus tracks though.

They are not one of my favourite bands but I have listened to all their albums.
I never got Frances The Mute, I simply didn't understand the wasting of time in that album. I didn't have an explanation about 7 minutes out of 12 of Miranda or about almost 10 minutes at the end of Cassandra Gemini. It passed 8 or 10 years since I listened to that album and I've never did it in full probably. Plus, I downloaded a very bad recording of the album when I was 15 or something because of ignorance about what kbps would mean. I could try again to listen to it, but I have doubts about the reevaluation of certain moments of the album. Amputechture suffers from the same problem (always skipped the first and last track) but contains my two favourite TMV songs which are Tetragrammaton and Day Of The Baphomets.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
Well, now that this thread is active again, I'm just gonna say that I listened to Bedlam again yesterday, & now I kinda agree with Parama. It's awful.

Also I've been having second thoughts about doing the survivor, since I only really enjoy the first 3 TMV albums, & even then I have heavily edited versions of all of them. :/

Offline kiszol

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm an old reader of the forum, but recently I decided to become a more active member.  :D
The new Dream Theater album Distance Over Time will be released in 3 weeks time and I thought some time after that we can do a DT album championship if there is enough interest in it.

My plan is to run the 14 DT records in a round robin championship, so there would be 13 rounds altogether. In each round every album would play against another and you could vote for the best of the two in each of the seven matchups. The winner would get 2 points, the loser 0. In case of a tie both records would get 1 point. This way we could get a pretty accurate DT album pecking order.  :metal

What are your thoughts? Shall we do this? If yes, when shall we start?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm an old reader of the forum, but recently I decided to become a more active member.  :D
The new Dream Theater album Distance Over Time will be released in 3 weeks time and I thought some time after that we can do a DT album championship if there is enough interest in it.

My plan is to run the 14 DT records in a round robin championship, so there would be 13 rounds altogether. In each round every album would play against another and you could vote for the best of the two in each of the seven matchups. The winner would get 2 points, the loser 0. In case of a tie both records would get 1 point. This way we could get a pretty accurate DT album pecking order.  :metal

Sounds fun. I would suggest waiting a couple of months after Distance Over Time is released so we have some time to dig into it and develop our opinions.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2019, 03:16:28 PM »
Hello everyone,

Sounds fun. I would suggest waiting a couple of months after Distance Over Time is released so we have some time to dig into it and develop our opinions.

Concur.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 03:43:39 AM »
Yeah, that sounds like an awesome idea. I'm all for anything that refreshes the tournament idea, and makes us vote positively rather than negatively.

(And no, "I'm positive I hate this song" doesn't count as positive voting.)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
Yeah, that sounds like an awesome idea. I'm all for anything that refreshes the tournament idea, and makes us vote positively rather than negatively.

(And no, "I'm positive I hate this song" doesn't count as positive voting.)

But if you hate a song in a survivor, why wouldn't you vote against it? The world isn't all sunshine and happiness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
It's been a couple years since my last Survivor, and three years since the last Spock's  Beard one, but I've done SB every 3 years since 2010, so I think it's time for me to do the 4th Spock's Beard Survivor here.

I'll probably take it slow to start, and do 2-day rounds and run two albums at a time to start with. I'll probably get the home thread up and running soon, but not sure when I'll get around to starting the first rounds. So, please keep an eye out for that!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2019, 07:11:19 AM »
Can I make a proposal for this thread: that we add the name of the champion song from each survivor listed here, as a sort of Hall of Fame/Roll of Honour thing? It might involve a little bit of work, but it's only a case of clicking through each survivor listed and seeing which song won, then adding it to its listing on this thread.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2019, 03:27:30 AM »
Can I make a proposal for this thread: that we add the name of the champion song from each survivor listed here, as a sort of Hall of Fame/Roll of Honour thing? It might involve a little bit of work, but it's only a case of clicking through each survivor listed and seeing which song won, then adding it to its listing on this thread.

Cool idea!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
Did a bit of an update to this. Will keep working on the archive if I have more time.

If you ran a game and want it included in the archives, please leave a comment.

If something I posted is wrong, just let me know and I'll correct.

If you want to run a new game (Survivor/League/Heal-Hurt/Power/Etc) Feel free!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »
Just saw the message in the OP. Here's a link to the Home thread of the IQ Cup: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54689.0

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »
Just saw the message in the OP. Here's a link to the Home thread of the IQ Cup: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54689.0

Thank you! Update made.