Author Topic: Polls & Survivors Tracker Thread  (Read 8399 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Polls & Survivors Tracker Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
OK, I might be wrong but I don't see a Metallica Survivor in 2017. I asked latest author about it but his inbox is full and I even can't send a message with question about it. If it's OK with everyone, I would love to run that.  :metal It would not affect Queensryche Survivor an any way ;)

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 06:41:15 AM »
Sorry for double posting but I wanted this post to be well visible for interested ones ;) While TheCountOfNYC has been found and answered about Metallica Survivor, I just want to let You Guys know that I have been preparing HELLOWEEN SURVIVOR 2017  :metal We will go through all Helloween studio albums including 5 track EP from 1985. But that's not the end. I also have prepared 42 non-albums and b-sides tracks for this survivor and the album tournament  :metal So we can easily speak that we have in front of us Mega Helloween Survivor 2017  ;D First we will start with casual type of survivor - album by album and voting out the least favourite songs. Next, somewhere in the middle of Helloween's discography, I will launch Helloween non-albums and b-sides song survivor, and after we deal with all the albums, album tournament will start. Hope I will find some participants in here, I ran once Helloween Survivor here long ago and it was fun :) It will start between nearest Monday and Wednesday :)  :metal Be prepared :)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 03:55:05 AM »
I've recently been thinking of starting a Symphony X survivor once I'm finished listening through their discography (currently up to The Odyssey). Would anyone be interested? I know the last one wasn't held that long ago, but seeing as that one was never finished (& may or may not have been run by a robot :lol) I was thinking I could start it up again? Thoughts?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
I've recently been thinking of starting a Symphony X survivor once I'm finished listening through their discography (currently up to The Odyssey). Would anyone be interested? I know the last one wasn't held that long ago, but seeing as that one was never finished (& may or may not have been run by a robot :lol) I was thinking I could start it up again? Thoughts?
Symphony X? I'm into it  :metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
It's a shame that so many great bands don't have enough fans here to warrant running a meaningful survivor.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
I could vote for most of the SX albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
I'd be interested in a Symphony X survivor

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
As I remember well, there usually was a Symphony X survivor here and it has a lot of participants. I'm sure that more than 5 of us would be interested in it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
Cool, I'll start it up once I finish their discography (should be a week or two). Maybe this will be the first time I start a survivor that doesn't die from inactivity. :biggrin:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 05:52:14 AM »
I'm gonna be starting up the Metallica survivor again in a couple of days.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »

:tup

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
:metal Great news! I'm very curious about Hardwired, and very hungry for showing St. Anger some love ;)

Offline LordCost

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
DoC you can add Pain Of Salvation Survivor in the completed Survivor list and also the Leprous Survivor which is missing in the list:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46618.msg2132267#msg2132267

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
So, it's been a few months since I last stepped foot into the Polls/Survivors subforum, but I think I have an idea of what I want to do next, and it's kind of a doozy...

The Neal Morse Mega-Survivor, including sub-survivors for:
Neal Morse Solo/Neal Morse Band (prog solo albums only, no Songs From November or worship albums)
Spock's Beard (the first six albums, then the rest because, why not?)
Flying Colors (the two that are out, three if it comes out by the time we get to it)
Transatlantic (the four that are out, five if it ever happens)
Misc. Songs Neal has Played and/or Sung on (subject to change, perhaps upon suggestions)

Each survivor would run as its own, but then I would take a selection of those and run a MEGA FINALS Survivor to find the BEST Neal Morse song!

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Ideas and suggestions? Am I crazy? Maybe...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »
Any interest in a Tool survivor?

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
Any interest in a Tool survivor?
Always my Friend, always  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:57 PM »
So, not many Tool fans around here huh? ;) But, I will leave my question here also - as Queensryche Survivor is coming to an end because we have only one album left, consolation and the finals I want to ask You Guys if somebody would be interested in Deep Purple Survivor? I always wanted to do this here, Deep Purple is a classic band that deserves any, even the smallest attention in every minute ;) It's a good moment to do this, Their last album Infinite is out there for quite a while and unfortunetely it seems that it will be last DP album. So it's a good moment to sum up DP classic discopgraphy ;) What do You think?  :yarr

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »
So, not many Tool fans around here huh? ;) But, I will leave my question here also - as Queensryche Survivor is coming to an end because we have only one album left, consolation and the finals I want to ask You Guys if somebody would be interested in Deep Purple Survivor? I always wanted to do this here, Deep Purple is a classic band that deserves any, even the smallest attention in every minute ;) It's a good moment to do this, Their last album Infinite is out there for quite a while and unfortunetely it seems that it will be last DP album. So it's a good moment to sum up DP classic discopgraphy ;) What do You think?  :yarr

Well, I've already listened through two discographies thanks to your survivors (Queensryche, & starting with Helloween now), I guess I could do one more.  :biggrin:

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 06:45:04 AM »
So, after Queensryche survivor finals will be over, I will start Deep Purple survivor :) I'm very looking forward to it!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
I suddenly realized an Iced Earth survivor would be fun.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »
Just want to remember that Deep Purple Survivor is coming very soon :) When Queensryche Survivor Finals will be over, it will start probably on next day after so be prepared for some Purple ;)

I suddenly realized an Iced Earth survivor would be fun.
And yes I agree. But, I know Iced Earth very well only from the first album to The Horrow Show, so it would be a good way to get known with these albums with Owens. Maybe, if no one will want to start it, I'll try to run it after Helloween Survivor, that would be cool, I think :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2018, 05:16:47 AM »
Idea: we've had survivors and we've had leagues, how about a "Dream Theater world cup"? we could use the same rules of the world cup:

- 32 teams / songs qualifying (13 albums x 2 winners make 26 finalists - do an album survivor first to award more slots to albums that fare better)
- 8 groups of 4 songs each with the mini-league format
- From then on, direct matches with elimination one against one until we reach the finals!

Maybe since the qualifying would take forever with the usual survivor format, it could be done quicker by having a single poll to pick up the winners, like:

- Vote your favorite DT albums (top albums get more songs)
- Vote your favorite songs off this and that album (top 2 songs, and more songs from the albums that fared better in the albums poll get more songs)
- Have 32 songs qualified
- Maybe do a single poll on those 32 songs, in order to estabilish top seeds (we don't want A Change of Seasons, Octavarium and Metropolis in the same group mh?)
- Sort all the 8 groups and use the World Cup template to lay out the road to the finals (Winner of group A against runner up of group B, and so on)
- Have the mini-league for the 8 groups, and then the knockout stage until the finals

Sounds fun?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2018, 06:12:06 AM »
Idea: we've had survivors and we've had leagues, how about a "Dream Theater world cup"? we could use the same rules of the world cup:

- 32 teams / songs qualifying (13 albums x 2 winners make 26 finalists - do an album survivor first to award more slots to albums that fare better)
- 8 groups of 4 songs each with the mini-league format
- From then on, direct matches with elimination one against one until we reach the finals!

Maybe since the qualifying would take forever with the usual survivor format, it could be done quicker by having a single poll to pick up the winners, like:

- Vote your favorite DT albums (top albums get more songs)
- Vote your favorite songs off this and that album (top 2 songs, and more songs from the albums that fared better in the albums poll get more songs)
- Have 32 songs qualified
- Maybe do a single poll on those 32 songs, in order to estabilish top seeds (we don't want A Change of Seasons, Octavarium and Metropolis in the same group mh?)
- Sort all the 8 groups and use the World Cup template to lay out the road to the finals (Winner of group A against runner up of group B, and so on)
- Have the mini-league for the 8 groups, and then the knockout stage until the finals

Sounds fun?
Yeah,sounds good IMO. I've done something similar with Helloween albums, with more partiicpants it would be a cool fun :)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
I toyed with the idea of having a world cup format.  Could be fun. Only problem is that I think if you have the songs fairly distributed, it would be very predictable.  But give it a whirl if it sounds fun to you.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
Seems like a good idea. Maybe the qualification bit needs some tweaking, but I don't really know how else we could do it. Surely if we're going to do a poll of the 32 songs to determine seeding, then that will give us a pretty good indication of who will win the whole thing.

But the idea in itself is very interesting, and could revitalize the Dream Theater tournament.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
(we don't want A Change of Seasons, Octavarium and Metropolis in the same group mh?)

regardless of the format you're going to use, the songs that win will always be very predictable. hell, add Learning to Live and Breaking All Illusions (maybe SDOIT) and I can hand you the top 5 right there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »
Just redo the top 16 from the last league or survivor there's no point dicking about for half year just to end up with nearly identical results

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:03 AM »
Just like there is no point in dicking around with world qualifications for all the continents when either Spain, Brazil, Argentina or Germany will play the World Cup final  :D

But in my suggestion we'd go quickly through the qualification - since the point should be to mimic the world cup and have 8 groups of 4 songs and then a knockout stage, the qualifications should not be done as a survivor, voting each song out at a time, but with a direct single poll.... 1 poll to determine the favorite albums and which albums get more songs, and then each album gets a single poll to vote the favorites, rather than the least favorite one song at a time. You'd have 1 + 13 rounds that can be done in 2 weeks, or a single month with the 48h voting time format.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »
Just like there is no point in dicking around with world qualifications for all the continents when either Spain, Brazil, Argentina or Germany will play the World Cup final  :D

No, this has beenproven untrue countless times. It has to do with the results actually changing over time, because the composition of the teams change. Dream Theater's song will however always stay the same.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:49 AM »
Uh well, you're right on that.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2018, 10:37:28 PM »
In a few hours Helloween Survivor 2017/2018 will become history and I remember that we've been talking about Iced Earth survivor. How many of You Guys would be interested in that one? ;)

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2018, 11:48:03 PM »
Cody, an Iced Earth survivor would be fantastic, just as long as Dracula wins ;) I think there are plenty of fans on these boards.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2018, 12:46:06 AM »
I'm sure an Iced Earth survivor would be fairly popular

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2018, 04:54:32 AM »
I'm all in for an Iced Earth survivor  :metal I would take part in every single album contest.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »
And this is a kind of answers which I like!  :metal Iced Earth survivor will become reality very soon then :)  :metal :metal