Author Topic: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)  (Read 18212 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (And in the end...)
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »

I don't think a band is only allowed one frontman persona.  It is easy to argue that three of the four members of the Who were frontmen, while Entwistle was the calm one on stage, playing and staying still as the other three caused mayhem.
I absolutely agree with the premise. The thing is that the four or five times I've seen The Who, my recollection of Roger is always him staring through the back wall into the parking lot while Pete entertains the crowd. He seldom calls much attention to himself singing, and between songs he's a statue.

Well, he is pretty old now :lol. but if you watch footage of the Who back in their prime (aka, when Keith Moon was still alive), he was all over the place on stage. I mean, he is known for that swinging microphone thing, FFS. ;)

I tend to grab for Paul McCartney solo more than the other 3 members of the Beatles solo material.

Same here, although Harrison's All Things Must Pass is pretty excellent. 

Offline bundy

Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (And in the end...)
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2017, 04:30:06 AM »
Agree with your comments re Daltrey aas a front man Kev. In my post I thought it was apparent from the contemporaries I listed that I was referring to the Keith Moon era of the band. As you said, if you watch film of the band during that era, Daltrey really had significant stage presence. Many bands have had more than one obvious front man. Bon Scott era ACDC (Bon and Angus) immediately come to mind.

That brings us to Sir Paul. The Beatles with both Lennon and McCartney are another example. Like MJ, PM is another true legend. Very good vocalist, brilliant lyricist and a terrific stage presence. Always much preferred his solo stuff to Lennon's. Without wanting to turn this into a merits of the Beatles debate, I really can't see how people dismiss them as pretty ordinary. While much of their stuff seems fairly pedestrian today, listen to what popular music was like prior to (I'm going to say Revolver rather than Sgt Pepper's)  and then listen to how it evolved after the release of those two albums. Their impact on music and popular culture can never be overstated. A metaphor I would use is they were the musical equivalent of black and white TV becoming colour TV or silent movies becoming talkies. For this alone all music fans are indebted to McCartney, Lennon and Harrison. (Ringo was probably lucky to be there for the ride, but that's another thread  :smiley:)

Loving this thread Kev!  :tup Is Phil Collins next? I'm pretty sure you would be aware of the unique record he, PM and MJ share.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (he don't trust anybody)
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »
What record is that?

Phil Collins

Collins was probably a better singer than many detractors gave him credit for being, but I am not sure he really stood out in any real way. While he could so the soft, pretty vocals fairly well, almost to the point where it made his cheesy solo songs even cheesier, I usually preferred when he sang with a bit of attitude in his voice, like in Genesis' Mama or I Don't Care Anymore. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2017, 06:18:23 AM »
I thought no jacket was required, yet here he is wearing one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
Yeah, Mama is the only song I that I can say I enjoy, and that's probably because it sounds so twisted. I never got the appeal of his voice or his solo career...well, I remember thinking "In the Air Tonight" was cool about the first million times I heard it, once the second trillion kicked in I actively started running from it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:29 AM »
It's weird, but when I hear Against All Odds, it stops me in my tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »
It's weird, but when I hear Against All Odds, it stops me in my tracks.

Well, it is very difficult to vomit while walking. So, I can understand that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »
There are some PC solo songs I love and others I don't even care to listen to.  I like his voice a lot but some of his solo work is fair at best.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
My listening stops with '...But Seriously'.  My roommate in college, being a huge PC fan, got 'Both Sides' the day it came out.  We sat in the room and listened to it and just stared blankly at each other during each song.  What a piece of crap that was!  I think that was the last time he listened to the album.

That said, I love his first 4 albums. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
Love his 80s output - solo, or with Genesis.  After that, not so much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
I didn't take enough notice to be able to tell you what is Phil Collins solo and what is poppy Genesis but as a young whipper snapper I did love Don't Lose My Number.   I prefer his more rocking tracks , although as per Tim  (digging up an old post)

I had almost forgotten how much I like Phil Collins' voice in the right song until I heard Against All Odds the other day

At some point I totally switched off - I think it might have been the first time I heard Groovy Kind Of Love  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
I know the record!   I know the record!   (And I didn't have to look it up, I swear!)

Only three artists to have sold 100 million records as a solo act, AND as a member of another act. 

I can take or leave the more treacly, preachy stuff but I make no apologies for loving Phil's solo stuff.   The first three records, especially, are stellar (my fave is probably the second one, though if you strip out the two obnoxious - because they were overplayed - hits Sussudio and One More Night, NJR is stronger).  I even like the Disney stuff (the Tarzan material).    In any other context that would be a killer song.  I also prefer Phil-era Genesis, to be honest (W&W is one of my top ten favorite records ever, and Abacab is in there too). 

I think it's a crime against humanity that he isn't in the RnRHoF as a solo artist, and Peter is.  I get it, Peter has the indie cred and he's more overtly liberal (which is a thing for the Wenner-led RnRHoF) but the guy is a musical genius.   I'm just now getting into the Brand X stuff from the late 70's.  Yeah, it sounds a little dated, but there's some stellar playing on those records.

But back to the vocals:  please, please, please check out the "Classic Albums" doc for Face Value.  There's a snippet of Phil singing "Please Don't Ask", just him and a piano, that I guarantee will make you cry (PDA and Misunderstanding were written along with much of the rest of Face Value, including In the Air Tonight, and Banks and Rutherford chose PDA and Misunderstanding for Genesis; Banks has gone on record saying he wished he chose ITAT).

Kev, you're firing on all cylinders, man.  Ann Wilson, Macca, Phil... you're halfway to my list of favorite singers of all time, ever.   (You just need Mercury, John (Elton), Bono, and Rogers (Paul))

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
Love most of his 80s output - solo, or with Genesis.  After that, not so much.

FTFM

Great singer, performer, drummer and song-writer, sometimes too sappy.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
Great singer, terrible discography.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
I know the record!   I know the record!   (And I didn't have to look it up, I swear!)

Only three artists to have sold 100 million records as a solo act, AND as a member of another act. 

Ah, okay.

Kev, you're firing on all cylinders, man.  Ann Wilson, Macca, Phil... you're halfway to my list of favorite singers of all time, ever.   (You just need Mercury, John (Elton), Bono, and Rogers (Paul))

All in due time.  I cannot feature all of the best ones right away.  :coolio

Offline bundy

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2017, 02:14:29 AM »

That's it. :tup

Really enjoy Collin's vocal work with Genesis (TotT) is my favourite Genesis album, although that's probably more down to Banks work than Collin's vocals. It's amazing that an already established and very successful band, having lost their vocalist and arguably (apologies to Bank's fans) creative driving force, were able to find a replacement vocalist from within the existing membership  and go on to even greater success than they had already achieved. I can't think of another more obvious example.

As for his solo stuff. It does absolutely nothing for me. I think a lot of that is down to the production. In the Air Tonight is an example of the production than I really dislike.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Living for the city)
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
Stevie Wonder

A very unique and pleasant sounding voice.  I don't visit his material a lot, but whenever I do, I am reminded of why he was so popular.  Not just a good songwriter, but a really good singer.  He's a legend for a reason.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Living for the City)
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
And just for the record, I know this is a "singer's" thread, but his drumming... there are three drummers in the world that I listen to JUST for their drumming.   Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, and... Phil Collins.   I bought the first, what, four Brand X albums just to hear Phil's drums.   I like the first two Plant albums largely because of Phil's drumming.  His drums on In The Mood... just stellar.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
Man in the 70's Stevie ruled the world.  Can't say enough good things about his singing and writing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
What's my favorite Stevie song? "Lately" was the first to come to.mind. But that's not it. Then I remembered "Overjoyed." But that's not it either. Then I remembered.

It's "Knocks Me Off My Feet"  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
He's not my favorite singer of all time, but I have to say, whenever he plays, it's always just FUN.   I forget what show, but he was on an awards show not long ago and he played "Sir Duke", and the place was just rockin'.   I was watching it and I realized about halfway in that I had a huge smile on my face.   

Plus "Ebony and Ivory" has to be the greatest song McCartney ever wrote*.

* No, no it's not.  It's also fun, but a sorely unrepresentative example of both men's talent.  :(

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
I thought it was Ian Gillan when I saw the title. I first heard Living For The City done by him.  :biggrin:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2017, 11:59:11 AM »
He's certainly a good one but his Happy Birthday song is a crime against humanity  :xbones
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »
I thought it was Ian Gillan when I saw the title. I first heard Living For The City done by him.  :biggrin:

Pretty sure we won't see Scarabus in the thread title!

I loved Eddie Murphy's Stevie on SNL.

But much respect to Stevie Wonder.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
And just for the record, I know this is a "singer's" thread, but his drumming... there are three drummers in the world that I listen to JUST for their drumming.   Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, and... Phil Collins.   I bought the first, what, four Brand X albums just to hear Phil's drums.   I like the first two Plant albums largely because of Phil's drumming.  His drums on In The Mood... just stellar.

I've lost track of how many puzzled looks I've gotten from people over the years after I've said what a great drummer Collins was.  So many think of him as just a singer.

He's not my favorite singer of all time, but I have to say, whenever he plays, it's always just FUN.   I forget what show, but he was on an awards show not long ago and he played "Sir Duke", and the place was just rockin'.   I was watching it and I realized about halfway in that I had a huge smile on my face.   

I can see that. 

I had never heard the song Living for the City until one day it was on VH1 or something like 15 years ago, and not that I really watched that station a lot, but I just happened to turn the station on when it was playing and I was pretty floored by what a great song it was.  It was one of those "wow, this song is awesome" moments.  I am also a huge fan of He's Misstra Know It All.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
   I bought the first, what, four Brand X albums just to hear Phil's drums.   I like the first two Plant albums largely because of Phil's drumming.  His drums on In The Mood... just stellar.

Collins is a great drummer. He has a unique style. He's someone that I can enjoy watching play. Too bad I cannot listen to Genesis.

That said, Cozy Powell absolutely owns Like I've Never Been Gone.

What is Brand X? I've never heard of that.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
I liked the "You'll Be in My Heart" song that Phil Collins wrote for the Tarzan movie (didn't he actually collaborated in writing most of the soundtrack for Tarzan?).  His voice had a good amount of warmth and comfort that fits the song theme.

Offline bundy

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »
Don't listen to much Stevie Wonder, but i do really enjoy his vocals. As has been mentioned he's a fine songwriter as well. Love the stuff he wrote with Jamaican reggae band Third World (Try Jah Love and You're Playing Us Too Close).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Thank You Consequence)
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »
Alanis Morissette

I was not a fan of her at all when she hit it big in the 90s.  I thought her singing style was too "yelpy" or shouty, if that makes sense.  I came around a little bit when she did the background vocals on a couple of Dave Matthews Band songs in the late 90s, and I eventually came around to liking a few of her songs, most notably, Thank You, Hand in My Pocket and You Learn.  I am still not a big fan, but I can appreciate her style a little more now, and she definitely made her mark.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
I love Alanis. Not for the singing style but for the attitude of her songs. It fits in the early 1990s angsty music of my teenage years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
Interesting choice at this point.

In the 90's I went through an Ice Age in my life, and during this period I wore out Jagged Little Pill. Even saw her in concert.

Not generally a fan of that style, but with all that was going on in my life at the time, that album spoke to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
Interesting choice at this point.

It would be boring to just list rock male singer after rock male singer.  I intend to bounce around quite a bit as much as I can, although male rock singers will definitely be the most heavily featured, for obvious reasons.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
Of all the people, TAC not only knows this person, but was a fan?!

I remember that album being huge. I never got in to it, though I could probably quote whole song lyrics, as some of her songs her played everywhere.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
I quite like Jagged Little Pill. Not heard anything else by her.
She doesn't understand irony though...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »
Of all the people, TAC not only knows this person, but was a fan.

Isn't it ironic?  ;D

Dontcha think?

:neverusethis: