Author Topic: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)  (Read 18245 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Come and see the show!!)
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
KC: Epitaph

Nice call.   Excellent choice.

ELP: Pirates

I swear, I wrote my previous post before I read this.  I absolutely LOVE that song, and seeing it live was a real treat. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
None for me, thanks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
Thanks Stadler..........just checked out Lucky Man and no luck  :)  - never heard it on radio out here. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
Fanfare For The Common Man .    Sports shows down here were using that for highlights packages all through my childhood and I never knew it was ELP :lol
Neither did I. Mind = Blown.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2017, 08:46:14 AM »
I used to listen to Pirates so much that I still know all of the lyrics to it. And there are A LOT of them. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Ga ga la la laaaaaaaa!)
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
Lady Gaga

Even though I think she tries too hard at times to sound like Madonna, there is no denying that she's got some pipes.  I can't say I ever go out of my way to listen to her, outside of a couple songs, but she never would have gotten as big as she has if she couldn't sing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
bad romance is the best pop hit song of the modern era
not my favorite, but the best

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
Lady Gaga is awesome; definitely my favorite modern pop singer.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
I like her and I like her voice, but I haven't been able to get into her music outside of a couple of songs.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2017, 11:10:20 PM »
Even though I think she tries too hard at times to sound like Madonna, there is no denying that she's got some pipes.  I can't say I ever go out of my way to listen to her, outside of a couple songs, but she never would have gotten as big as she has if she couldn't sing.

I think what really made her big is not the voice per se, but her ability to write songs. This helped her create a distinct identity with songs that fit her voice. It's her big advantage over other pop stars.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2017, 05:05:31 AM »
bad romance is the best pop hit song of the modern era
not my favorite, but the best

Well, no, that's "Wildest Dreams" by Taylor Swift, but you're on the right track.  ;)  :) 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2017, 05:09:14 AM »
Oh, and anyone holding back the inevitable "She's crap, she's manufactured, she's this, she's that..." Google "Lady gaga Howard Stern Edge of Glory" and it should be the first video.    Not only does she look relatively hot, it's just her and a piano, and she sings the SHIT out of that song.   I heard it live, when she performed it (I was driving to Erie from Philly, a five hour drive, a five hour drive) and I remember after she finished, there was a good 20 or 30 seconds of dead silence, which if some of you know, is DEATH on the radio.   But the studio was just STUNNED at what they just saw/heard. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »
Google "Lady gaga Howard Stern Edge of Glory"
Solid suggestion. :metal

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2017, 05:47:22 AM »
She's great and quite talented. Her music isn't my thing, but I don't turn away from it. I think she is quite deserving of her fame, which I don't think is true for most.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »
Excellent performance, Stadler, thanks for linking.

This video was recommended on the conclusion of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNow_5yzwL0 - rather fantastic delivery of the first two lines of Black Dog.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2017, 11:21:22 AM »
Lady Gaga is awesome.  No objections here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
Big Gaga fan.

If any of you have a chance, youtube her performance of New York New York.

I'd post the link, but I'm too lazy to do the thing I'm currently telling you all to do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Steel idle trees to pity)
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
Brad Delp

I can still listen to a lot of Boston songs and get utterly floored by how amazing Brad Delp's voice was.  I suspect some of their songs are not covered more because good luck doing justice to his original vocal parts.  More Than a Feeling is one of the most popular songs ever, yet you rarely hear it covered, probably because what singers out there could actually sing it and not wreck the hell out of it?  Not many.  One of my favorite concert memories is still being 5th row center back in the mid 90s and seeing Delp nail the chorus to Hollyann. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
Yeah, great call, Kev. Those Boston albums are simply amazing. Their debut is simply timeless. A shame that he is gone.

Back when MP was still in the band, whenever a conversation here came up about what albums would you like to see covered, I always posted that the one album I'd love to see DT cover would be the Boston s/t.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2017, 04:59:01 AM »
Delp has a god level voice.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Otherworldly. His singing always had that, too good to be true, quality to it. Even live.

What Hef said.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2017, 06:58:13 AM »
Delp has a god level voice.

Agreed... he is on a level reserved for but a few.  Not only are those 3 Boston albums gold, I really loved RTZ.  These "vocal only" YT vids really highly just how brilliant his voice is/was.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I'm not where I should be)
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
Brian Wilson

Because he was such a great songwriter and an innovator in regards to sound and production, it is easy to overlook that Brian Wilson was a damn good singer, in a band full of them.  You Still Believe in Me is such a great tune largely because of the vocal performance by Wilson.  The Beach Boys were a tour de force from a vocals standpoint, and more often than not, during their prime, Brian Wilson led the charge.

Offline bundy

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »
Oh, and anyone holding back the inevitable "She's crap, she's manufactured, she's this, she's that..." Google "Lady gaga Howard Stern Edge of Glory" and it should be the first video.    Not only does she look relatively hot, it's just her and a piano, and she sings the SHIT out of that song.   I heard it live, when she performed it (I was driving to Erie from Philly, a five hour drive, a five hour drive) and I remember after she finished, there was a good 20 or 30 seconds of dead silence, which if some of you know, is DEATH on the radio.   But the studio was just STUNNED at what they just saw/heard.

My sentiment as well when it comes to Lady GaGa. She's the only female pop artist of the past 20 years that I really enjoy. In terms of quirkiness, originality and talent she is this generation's Kate Bush.

I only listen to my Boston albums once in a while, but every time I do, I'm floored by how good they are and ask myself why I don't listen to them much more regularly. Delp is a damn fine vocalist, Scholz a great guitarist and songwriter and their harmonies are terrific.

Don't listen to The Beachboys much at all, but I do enjoy both their music and Wilson's vocals. I'll have to get around to buying a copy of Pet Sounds some day. (So much music, so little money :(  )

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »
Can't comment on Lady Gaga .

Brad Delp is amazing but I've never been fully on board with Boston.  And AOR/melodic rock was my thing for much of my music life so they should be , but I remember buying their Greatest Hits in my teens and thinking "If that's their best.............".  I love More Than A Feeling but not much else has taken my fancy.

Brian Wilson is great too.  I don't own any Beach Boys but unlike many big artists from the US they DID get huge play in Australia. Whenever I hear them it takes me back and brings a smile to my face , even though I would never go out of my way to play them.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »
Otherworldly. His singing always had that, too good to be true, quality to it. Even live.

What Hef said.

That's the thing:  he did it LIVE too.    I saw them once, and was expecting the worst (Scholz, studio wizard, blah blah blah) but he delivered.

We did Peace of Mind in my band in high school.   I was the singer, and we'd play it, and the drummer would always go "it's missing something", and I would always go "Yeah, Brad fucking Delp.  Can we do Smoke on the Water again?".   Kind of a running joke, but not really.   You can sing the words, carry the melody, but so few people have that crystalline, clear ringing tone that he had.   So good.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Brian Wilson is great too.  I don't own any Beach Boys but unlike many big artists from the US they DID get huge play in Australia. Whenever I hear them it takes me back and brings a smile to my face , even though I would never go out of my way to play them.

Since Brent brought up airplay in Australia, Kev, do you have any Aussies in your list? I just realized that a lot of music I heard growing up were Australian. That's why I don't see them on MTV. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
Brian Wilson is obviously a genius when it came to songwriting and arrangement.

I can't really speak about his voice.  When I think about the Beach Boys, I think about ALL the voices, in harmony.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »

Since Brent brought up airplay in Australia, Kev, do you have any Aussies in your list? I just realized that a lot of music I heard growing up were Australian. That's why I don't see them on MTV. :lol

Tina Arena up next  :metal   (I have a vague memory of you mentioning her during an email in my roulette?)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »

Tina Arena up next  :metal   (I have a vague memory of you mentioning her during an email in my roulette?)

Yeah, but I was thinking more about Air Supply.  :lol

And we had a bunch of pop hits in the early 1990s from Australian artists. Rick Price, Indecent Obssession, and Souther Sons. ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »

I'm not saying he SHOULD be, but if Michael Hutchence was to appear on this list, I'd have no beef with that.    Listen to "The Stairs".  Epic. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
Can't comment on Lady Gaga .

Brad Delp is amazing but I've never been fully on board with Boston.  And AOR/melodic rock was my thing for much of my music life so they should be , but I remember buying their Greatest Hits in my teens and thinking "If that's their best.............".  I love More Than A Feeling but not much else has taken my fancy.

Don't look Back just sort of appeared in our house when I was a kid. My mum and dad both say they didn't buy it, but there it was in the record player unit. Something of a mystery. Genesis' And Then There Were Three was there too.

As a kid I loved the cover. I really like the album, much prefer it to the 1st album. It doesn't really rock though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (We all rotate)
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
Michael Hutchence

Back in 1987-1988, Kick was my favorite cassette to listen to, and while I didn't give much thought at the time, the voice of Hutchence was a big reason why.  He never struck me as being a great singer per se, but he had a great voice and had a style that was almost seductive, which I am sure drove the girls nuts. :lol