Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 309062 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2625 on: September 20, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
I try and keep coming back to the site (hopefully to get some DT news), but whenever the MP subject comes up, it's nothing but personal attacks against the guy.

For the most part, I think MP was certainly correct about this forum. Aside from a few people like bosk, there is no middle ground here at all. It's all anti-MP. Such a shame as without MP, DT would have been LONG SINCE forgotten about.

Oh well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2626 on: September 20, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
I try and keep coming back to the site (hopefully to get some DT news), but whenever the MP subject comes up, it's nothing but personal attacks against the guy.

For the most part, I think MP was certainly correct about this forum. Aside from a few people like bosk, there is no middle ground here at all. It's all anti-MP. Such a shame as without MP, DT would have been LONG SINCE forgotten about.

Oh well.

No?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2627 on: September 20, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »
Even the naysayers in this thread are still gonna buy this album when it comes out. You know they are,,  OH It's true!   :biggrin:

100% no way, Jose.

SMH :

Way to stay open minded.

Being "open minded" doesn't enter into it. Nobody is saying they won't listen to it, they are saying they won't buy it.

OK, fair point, but if these people who are saying NO WAY will I buy it, wind up loving what they here, then what?

I can answer only for myself: then I'll have a great album to listen to and Derek Sherinian will not have any of my money despite having put a lot of time and effort into making it. Which will in turn rebut MP's claim that it will be 'my loss' if I let DS's behaviour affect my decision to buy it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2628 on: September 20, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »

Oh well.

Well, Dave_Manchester already responded to the "open minded" part.  Nothing to add.  But as far as "personal attacks," being critical of something he has said or done or being critical of the music is not a personal attack.  Being "open minded" means you are open to discussing both sides of an issue, and being open to hear the side you disagree with.  Shutting out all criticism and wrongly labeling it as "personal attacks" is not open minded.  If you don't like open, two-sided discussion, then you don't really understand why this forum exists.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2629 on: September 20, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
As much as I've disapproved of Mike's behavior after the breakup. That doesn't deter me from buying his music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2630 on: September 20, 2017, 06:02:48 PM »
Nothing to do with the fact that he thought he was going to join A7X of course, absolutely not.  Strange that he didn't seem to need that break when A7X told him to take a hike and he went running back to DT "for the fans".  Not surprisingly, they told him where to go.

This is exactly how I have always felt, but never wanted to post it on Mike's site. He was very vocal about how he was having the time of his life touring with A7X and it was obviously a much different experience than DT, and I honestly think that played a HUGE factor in Mike wanting to take a break from DT. I think he felt that if he wasn't with DT, then he would get the full time A7X gig.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2631 on: September 20, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
Sorry you feel that way, As I Am. That's not sarcasm, just so you know. However, I'm still listening to the album. Hell, when the lineup and name were officially announced, I even posted over there, I said, "Day one purchase" - then Derek started saying some questionable things and Mike's ego and behavior turned me away.

But more importantly, and Dave talked about this, is Derek's burger flipping comment. That's my line in the sand. I don't own too much of his music -- I own Blood of the Snake and Falling Into Infinity, and the PSMS concert -- but I won't be giving any more of my money to him. Simple as that. I'll play the album on Spotify, and maybe after 10 spins he'll earn half a cent, and I won't see them live. But that's because of my principles. I do still hope the rest of the album is good, and I may even put a few on my 'starred' playlist on Spotify (I'm old school, still have the starred label!), but unfortunately it won't be on my shelves unless I find it secondhand -- I won't buy it directly from them or brand new.

But I'm not calling for a boycott of him or asking he never be allowed to play music. I'm voting with my wallet. Simple as.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2632 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:03 PM »
Even the naysayers in this thread are still gonna buy this album when it comes out. You know they are,,  OH It's true!   :biggrin:

I guess in a round about way I will....because the only way I'm listening to the entire album is if it's on Apple Music....which I suspect it will be being the two singles are on it. But my $$ is going to Apple....not SOA

It'll filter through; they'll get theirs.    It'll be $0.01 on the dollar but they'll get theirs.  :)  :)

Maybe even less than that. 

I'll never understand why some would rather give their money to a technology company for music rather than rewarding the professional musicians who created that music themselves. 

Doesn't leave a lot of incentive for those that make music to make much of an investment in creating it I suppose. But I guess most of the horses left that barn a long time ago and fighting over chicken feed is all that's left.

But this is not even remotely on topic. Just looking at the bigger picture (so to speak.)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2633 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
Sorry you feel that way, As I Am. That's not sarcasm, just so you know. However, I'm still listening to the album. Hell, when the lineup and name were officially announced, I even posted over there, I said, "Day one purchase" - then Derek started saying some questionable things and Mike's ego and behavior turned me away.

But more importantly, and Dave talked about this, is Derek's burger flipping comment. That's my line in the sand. I don't own too much of his music -- I own Blood of the Snake and Falling Into Infinity, and the PSMS concert -- but I won't be giving any more of my money to him. Simple as that. I'll play the album on Spotify, and maybe after 10 spins he'll earn half a cent, and I won't see them live. But that's because of my principles. I do still hope the rest of the album is good, and I may even put a few on my 'starred' playlist on Spotify (I'm old school, still have the starred label!), but unfortunately it won't be on my shelves unless I find it secondhand -- I won't buy it directly from them or brand new.

But I'm not calling for a boycott of him or asking he never be allowed to play music. I'm voting with my wallet. Simple as.

Excellent post, Kattelox, I agree with all of it. Derek's comments started just as a little inappropriate, but then he crossed the line, and I just can't support someone who talks to people like that. I'll still listen to the album on Spotify, and I actually like Sings of the Time, but I'm not buying this album either. I just can't stand how childish Mike and Derek have been acting. And I actually feel bad for the other SOA guys, because they seem to be very nice guys and now their new, promising, band has just been outshined by all the crazy drama involving Mike and Derek.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2634 on: September 20, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »

I guess in a round about way I will....because the only way I'm listening to the entire album is if it's on Apple Music....which I suspect it will be being the two singles are on it. But my $$ is going to Apple....not SOA

It'll filter through; they'll get theirs.    It'll be $0.01 on the dollar but they'll get theirs.  :)  :)

Maybe even less than that. 

I'll never understand why some would rather give their money to a technology company for music rather than rewarding the professional musicians who created that music themselves. 

I always make sure that as much of my money as possible goes to the artists themselves, if I've decided I like them and what they do. Sometimes (as in the recent case of a huge order I made with the band Swans) that will involve having their albums shipped over from the US rather than just using Amazon UK, which would have been a hell of a lot cheaper for me, but Michael Gira (the guy behind Swans) would have seen only a small percentage of the cash.

This is why, in this day and age of cheap streaming, artists like SoA can't avoid too many PR disasters if they want as many people as possible to buy their physical media, merchandise, concert tickets, etc. New bands in their position can't afford to take the attitude of "meh, your loss", because it literally isn't, it's theirs.  Just as I will buy the expensive deluxe versions of albums in order to get cash to groups like (this week alone) Cradle of Filth or Godspeed You Black Emperor, so I'll choose to withhold it from bands like SoA if I feel its keyboard player is behaving like an ass.

It's never been more vital to the financial success of a band to have excellent PR than now, because you have to convince people not just to listen to your music (which is easily done these days), but to shell out for it too. Back on topic, that's why I was surprised MP didn't tell DS to knock it off, but instead persisted with "It's just his humor, lighten up or I'll ban you".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:06:39 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #2635 on: September 20, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »

Oh well.

I am having a hard time grasping the concept of this being an anti-MP forum when the vast majority of its members continued to follow MP's musical output after he left DT. Heck, many of us have even bought several of the albums he has been featured on and have even seen him live after the split. If you care to pay attention to this very thread, people were really and genuinely looking forward to what MP proclaimed would be a prog metal project. It wasn't until some actual music was released and DS started his Tweeter campaign that some people started voicing their valid concerns and criticism.

I also think you are grossly underestimating the importance of all the other DT members in the band's success and overall survival. There is a reason the band managed to do just fine without MP and there is also a reason the band probably wouldn't be able to continue its path if JP decided to call it quits.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2636 on: September 20, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »

Oh well.

I am having a hard time grasping the concept of this being an anti-MP forum when the vast majority of its members continued to follow MP's musical output after he left DT. Heck, many of us have even bought several of the albums he has been featured on and have even seen him live after the split. If you care to pay attention to this very thread, people were really and genuinely looking forward to what MP proclaimed would be a prog metal project. It wasn't until some actual music was released and DS started his Tweeter campaign that some people started voicing their valid concerns and criticism.

I also think you are grossly underestimating the importance of all the other DT members in the band's success and overall survival. There is a reason the band managed to do just fine without MP and there is also a reason the band probably wouldn't be able to continue its path if JP decided to call it quits.

+1
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2637 on: September 20, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »
As much as I haven't liked Mike on social media since he left, I'd totally give him a reach-around for all his music. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #2638 on: September 20, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
Maybe MP should be like Nuno Bettencourt.    He should see how much Rhihanna pays her drummer.
I bet it is as much as sons of apollo will make him.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2639 on: September 20, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »
That's not a review. That's a press release.

It was written with all the objectivity of one of Derek's tweets.

Just read it. I think it was written by whoever writes Adrenaline Mob's lyrics. That "review" is hilarious.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2640 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:54 PM »
I actually thing it was the most "prog" review ever. Totally over the top and cheesy with an overly lengthy pointless introduction.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2641 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »

Well said. Saying this is an anti-Portnoy forum really has no basis in reality if you are paying attention at all and actually read what people say, as opposed to being a knee jerk fan who has adopted Portnoy's personality trait of flipping out over the tinniest bit of criticism, most of which is fair (I say "most of which" because there will always be a few who take it too far). 

Let's face it, there is no other forum on the internet where you will find this much legitimate discussion about Mike Portnoy in general, and the discussion is almost always fair.  He gets kudos more than some realize, even from someone like me who hasn't been a fan of his personality for over 15 years.  I give him props when he deserves it (I applauded that simulcast he did last year for TSOAD, for example), and, yes, I criticize him when he deserves it (which, unfortunately, is far too often).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: September 20, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »

Oh well.

DT are still going, no?  Yes, MP is a major part in the DT history, but that seems like you're undervaluing the other members.

This forum is hardly anti MP too, that's just ridiculous, plain and simple.  Sounds like he would close down this forum too then if he had the chance if he says stuff like that.

I like the two new SOA songs quite a bit.  Not sure if I'll purchase it though.  I've supported MP away from DT and have purchased every AM album except the new one (even the covers EP), plus the first Winery Dogs album, both FC albums plus live DVD, plus the band he did with TMac too.  I know that doesn't support them directly a lot of the time, but I'm not in the position to throw cash around for anything like I use to and as Kattlelox said, the behaviour from DS and MP lately has turned me off a little too, plain and simple. 

It's a shame you feel that way and I'm sorry that you do.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #2643 on: September 20, 2017, 11:17:33 PM »
I just think it's weird they're releasing the not prog heavy songs when they're hyping up prog. I mean signs of time was proggish, but yeah.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2644 on: September 20, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
I'm not sorry at all for As I Am, since the guy has clearly shown over his stay here that he just can't stand any criticism towards MP. He reminds me of Stadler in a sense that when anything negative is said towards MP, they feel compelled to take a stance to the point of transforming what has really been said to have their way.
I already said it, but I hope that with the shutting down of MP.com, there won't be more people like that making it a hard time for us non-MP fanboys.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: September 21, 2017, 12:33:19 AM »
It's everyone's right to express their opinion but it does feel like it's been page after page after page of exactly the same people saying exactly the same thing time after time after time.

One of the reasons Stadler may appear to be a lone voice is potential contributors feeling shut out due to the oppressive and claustrophobic feel that's been created.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2646 on: September 21, 2017, 12:42:30 AM »
SMH :\

Way to stay open minded.

What the hell, man?  I have enough of an open mind to choose who I want to support based on many factors, including how they act, and in this case the obnoxious attitude is why I choose to not support SoA and the sad part is that it hurts the other people who have nothing to do with it and are being dragged down with the ship.

What do you call people who just blindly follow and support an artist no matter what?  If you want to talk about the OPPOSITE of being open-minded then that's it right there.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2647 on: September 21, 2017, 12:57:30 AM »
SMH :\

Way to stay open minded.

What the hell, man?  I have enough of an open mind to choose who I want to support based on many factors, including how they act, and in this case the obnoxious attitude is why I choose to not support SoA and the sad part is that it hurts the other people who have nothing to do with it and are being dragged down with the ship.

What do you call people who just blindly follow and support an artist no matter what?  If you want to talk about the OPPOSITE of being open-minded then that's it right there.
I'll blindly follow an artist if I know how good they are, or they have a track record of putting out quality stuff. I also go by word of mouth. Thanks to DT forums I've gotten into Symphony X, Porcupine Tree, Nightwish, Haken etc.  There are so many more I need to check out, but time and money are a factor.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2648 on: September 21, 2017, 01:26:07 AM »
As much as I've disapproved of Mike's behavior after the breakup. That doesn't deter me from buying his music.

Same here. I don't think he's a terrible guy. I think it would be cool if Portnoy returned to Dream Theater. I don't think Sherenian's bad either. Before the Portnoy forum closed down, most of the recent negative posts in this thread were about Sherinian's dumb tweets. I'll buy an album they play on if I think it's good.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2649 on: September 21, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »
It's everyone's right to express their opinion but it does feel like it's been page after page after page of exactly the same people saying exactly the same thing time after time after time.

One of the reasons Stadler may appear to be a lone voice is potential contributors feeling shut out due to the oppressive and claustrophobic feel that's been created.

No way! On this forum? Stadler is not a lone wolf, he is the leader of a pack of wolves who systematically jump on every people being critical of MP.
Yet, you're right when you say sometimes discussion is impossible due to the vey nature of some of the posters who won't listen to anyone having an opinion contrary to their own. BUT, at the end of the day, such posters are just a few on DTF as most try to be reasonable when posting.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: September 21, 2017, 01:53:32 AM »
I can't remember who said it, but not too many posts back someone said Stadler is the only person continually expressing his particular view. (I think Stadler himself may have said something similar, but it's not him I'm thinking of.)

I'm not saying my view tallies completely with Stadler's - it doesn't, it lies somewhere between his and those who give the impression MP is the absolute living embodiment of a total twatbadger - but I do think there will be people with similar views who are, almost literally, scared off posting.

Not sure why I'm even bothering to post this, really, since I can't be bothered with the confrontation brought about by even just being a middle of the road voice in this thread :biggrin:

Anyway, hey, happy Thursday everyone. Nearly the weekend!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2651 on: September 21, 2017, 03:00:15 AM »
While I do think Mike acts rashly at times, I have to say this:

I've never known a guy that cares so much about... well, everyone. He's really passionate, and really emotional, to a fault at times. But he's also a very kind and giving person.

I had absolutely no reason to expect him to even remember who I was, but I was surprised that he actually remembered my name - after meeting me 3 times. In 2014 I did the VIP thing for Neal Morse band (btw, if you want to support a band monetarily - this is the absolute best way to do so). And I said "I don't know if you remember me", and he looked me over for a second and said "Of course I do. It's Kim, right?". Blew my mind. And asking him for anything in the recent years has always been met with kindness and accomodation.

Asking him for the interview in April was met with a joke - he had seen the James interview, and noticed that James consistenly called me "Tim". He pointed that out, jokingly saying that I could only interview him if "he could call me Tim". First of all - he saw the interview I did - second of all - he noticed that James called me the wrong name... And I'm not someone who's been in his face or been in this to get them to know -me-, I've always enjoyed being the guy that helped others meet their idols and standing back watching them enjoy it. Mike was the first who -really- showed that he knew me. Now, it's a different story, since I've been in DTs face since I took over the world wide fan club (except for Mangini - who apparently refuses to remember who I am).

So while I do know that Mike can be viewed as abrasive - I also know him from another side. I know he's the real deal. It's not fake when he's passionate. It's not fake when he's emotional and hurt by personal attacks. He's simply a human being who happens to be a well known music artist, but he also knows very well what it is to be a fan, and is very down to earth. That's why I love these guys, all of them. I can have conversations with any of them, and they treat me as thought they're actually interested. It may be fake, it may be a face they put on, but they try to see "the people", not just fans.

Of course, this personal attachment does make it harder for me to do some of my tasks like reviewing albums and such. But at the same time, I know that they all know that it's kinda my job to be honest about my opinions, and they value it..... except for that one time... ;)

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #2652 on: September 21, 2017, 04:04:18 AM »
Just watched the Coming Home video on Youtube again and I can't stop wondering about Bumblefoot playing riffs that we can't hear (at least I can't). Is it possible that this is not the final mix we're hearing, and that on album release it may sound different?

If I remember correctly that has been the case on the first AMob releases, right?

It wouldn't bug me if I only HEARD the song (I like it), but SEEING him play something I am unable to hear makes me think I'm missing something...

Offline majo

« Reply #2653 on: September 21, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
can't support Derek after his "burger BS" with my money neither.
it most likely won't cause him to be flipping those burgers in the future, but the principle is principle.
i'm only sorry for the rest of the guys in the band being affected by that.
 :tdwn
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2654 on: September 21, 2017, 05:02:06 AM »
I can't remember who said it, but not too many posts back someone said Stadler is the only person continually expressing his particular view. (I think Stadler himself may have said something similar, but it's not him I'm thinking of.)

I'm not saying my view tallies completely with Stadler's - it doesn't, it lies somewhere between his and those who give the impression MP is the absolute living embodiment of a total twatbadger - but I do think there will be people with similar views who are, almost literally, scared off posting.

Not sure why I'm even bothering to post this, really, since I can't be bothered with the confrontation brought about by even just being a middle of the road voice in this thread :biggrin:

Anyway, hey, happy Thursday everyone. Nearly the weekend!

Fair game, but scared by DTF? Come on, i's just an online forum, you're protected by your screen. Just kidding of course. Happy Thursday too.

B.Lee

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2655 on: September 21, 2017, 06:35:51 AM »
While I do think Mike acts rashly at times, I have to say this:

I've never known a guy that cares so much about... well, everyone. He's really passionate, and really emotional, to a fault at times. But he's also a very kind and giving person.

I had absolutely no reason to expect him to even remember who I was, but I was surprised that he actually remembered my name - after meeting me 3 times. In 2014 I did the VIP thing for Neal Morse band (btw, if you want to support a band monetarily - this is the absolute best way to do so). And I said "I don't know if you remember me", and he looked me over for a second and said "Of course I do. It's Kim, right?". Blew my mind. And asking him for anything in the recent years has always been met with kindness and accomodation.

Asking him for the interview in April was met with a joke - he had seen the James interview, and noticed that James consistenly called me "Tim". He pointed that out, jokingly saying that I could only interview him if "he could call me Tim". First of all - he saw the interview I did - second of all - he noticed that James called me the wrong name... And I'm not someone who's been in his face or been in this to get them to know -me-, I've always enjoyed being the guy that helped others meet their idols and standing back watching them enjoy it. Mike was the first who -really- showed that he knew me. Now, it's a different story, since I've been in DTs face since I took over the world wide fan club (except for Mangini - who apparently refuses to remember who I am).

So while I do know that Mike can be viewed as abrasive - I also know him from another side. I know he's the real deal. It's not fake when he's passionate. It's not fake when he's emotional and hurt by personal attacks. He's simply a human being who happens to be a well known music artist, but he also knows very well what it is to be a fan, and is very down to earth. That's why I love these guys, all of them. I can have conversations with any of them, and they treat me as thought they're actually interested. It may be fake, it may be a face they put on, but they try to see "the people", not just fans.

Of course, this personal attachment does make it harder for me to do some of my tasks like reviewing albums and such. But at the same time, I know that they all know that it's kinda my job to be honest about my opinions, and they value it..... except for that one time... ;)

As a somewhat frequent critic of the man, I will say that none of this really surprises me.  It reminds me of a lady I worked with a long time ago.  She was, let's say, difficult to get along with, but she had a handful or two of close friends who thought she was the greatest thing, and to them, she was. She would do anything for them, which I saw firsthand (her and I did not care for each other, but several of her close friends were also close friends of mine, so we often tolerated each other), but if you were someone she didn't care for, look out, because she would be aggressively be a raging bitch to you.  It was astonishing to see how someone could be so nice to someone one minute and then flip the switch and be so mean to someone else the next.

So, while there are differences, Mike Portnoy, in some ways, reminds me of her. To the people that are in his corner, Mike Portnoy is the greatest thing ever, and he treats them well, but to those who have that audacity to not back him up 100% on everything, you are crap, and he shows little to no regard for you.  If nothing else, it's fascination to watch.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2656 on: September 21, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »
They have made it so difficult in the past week or two to just discuss the music and not mention the whole weird social media drama-laden promo cycle.

Derek's statements and Mike's blowing up were incredibly silly, but I'm not personally offended nor withdrawing support - they're not hurting me by that behavior, they're hurting themselves. Yes, Mike Portnoy is Mike Portnoy and he'll always be doing these things, but he never claimed to be any other way. Frankly, I do appreciate musicians talking about the negatives of the industry and having a fanbase, but, having said all that... it almost gives me second hand embarrassment to see this grown man still taking criticism so poorly. If people see you take shots at a website, or a fan, or a fan forum, it's never going to make you look like the bigger man, no matter how right you are about them (Blabbermouth really is pretty terrible) and how funny your comment is. Furthermore, you can't be a friend with Jordan Rudess and let your keyboardist take shots at him through fucking Twitter.

Furtherfurthermore, Derek's comments are just so cheap. You can't assemble a band for maximum likeability and fandom crossover, write extremely inoffensive songs with almost no creative risks and call yourselves the new kings of prog. Even if you're joking. If you're inviting people to compare you to Dream Theater and other prog bands, prepare for the opportunity that they'll say your music isn't all that prog, and that Dream Theater is better.

I have liked one and a half out of the last five DT albums, but they are still doing their thing and taking different turns and insisting on things people hate about them, because they know those are the things their core fanbase loves about them. When Derek says there's no weird vocals or weird keyboards or weird shit on the SoA album... what is left? Because right now their songs sound even more like "look at my fingers gooooo" than Dream Theater. The only draw is the players and the singer, because the solos and the riffs are pasted onto beige metal songs about ~life and stuff~. I don't fucking care about John Petrucci's Disney musical but he went out there and just fucking did his cheesy thing, you know? SoA sounds pleasant. Nice. Good driving music. Not kings of prog music.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:18:13 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2657 on: September 21, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »
That prog report review is ridiculous, it must be someone who is friendly with the band surely.  Can't really argue with what they say about the songs themselves as I haven't heard them.  It's the other hyperbole they come out with "there's some very famous people in this band" really? Who?  Mike Portnoy is probably the most well known and even he is not exactly a household name.  There was a comment along the lines that they are causing an absolute frenzy of excitement in the rock music scene, absolute nonsense.  They also say something like "the word supergroup is overused but you could hardly imagine a more stellar line up" again, really?  Mike Portnoy is hands down a great hall of fame drummer so no argument that they have a stellar drummer but Ron Thal, Soto and Sherinian? I think I could very easily imagine much more impressive line up.  Whether you can get them is another matter of course but aside from MP and Sheehan, you would not put the others anywhere near the top of their respective fields in terms of playing or songwriting.

To add balance to the perceived bashing of MP, I will say this.  The guy is my favourite drummer of all time, he was a founder member and one of the main driving forces of probably my favourite band of all time.  I had the utmost respect for everything he did for us during his time in Dream Theater, the way he rotated set lists from tour to tour so you didn't hear the same songs tour after tour or even from show to show.  I loved how he interacted with fans online including on his forum, the free fanclub cds.  It all generated goodwill so that when they began to do bigger headline shows, you felt extra happy that DT absolutely deserved their success as they, and Mike in particular, did so much for us.  Above and beyond other bands.

Unfortunately, since he left Dream Theater, there have been numerous ill-advised episodes that have eroded some of the respect I had for him.  I'm sure he couldn't care less about whether some nobody on the internet respects him or not but it has eroded that part of me that had the goodwill where I would go out and buy his stuff just to support him.  Now I will only buy his stuff if I hear it and think it's great.

Basically then, yeah, if SOA is brilliant, I will buy it but I will no longer buy it just because it is a Mike Portnoy project.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2658 on: September 21, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
Just watched the Coming Home video on Youtube again and I can't stop wondering about Bumblefoot playing riffs that we can't hear (at least I can't). Is it possible that this is not the final mix we're hearing, and that on album release it may sound different?

If I remember correctly that has been the case on the first AMob releases, right?

It wouldn't bug me if I only HEARD the song (I like it), but SEEING him play something I am unable to hear makes me think I'm missing something...

I think it probably is the final mix. I mean this album drops in less than a month, right? It should definitely be mixed and mastered by now and going into production to stock retail with the physical  release.

I think the struggle to hear the guitar riffs comes from (1) the overly distorted kinda treble-like qualities of the bass guitar and (2) Derek's distorted key tones. When they riff on that main groove in the song, it sounds like all three guys are down in that similar register (with the bass down the octave) and the guitar gets washed out a bit. Add into that the drums being pretty darn loud in the mix and I think the guitar just got pushed back in the mix.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2659 on: September 21, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
The way this project has been handled has been a cluster fuck since day one. The debacle with the "leaked" band members was the first red flag and that was on MP. Once the band members were officially announce I was personally underwhelmed.  You form a prog metal band with 3/5 of the band who really have no prog back ground? Then the songs come out and I'm underwhelmed again. Soto is being restrained for some reason. Throw that in with Derek's asshole comments on Twatter, the shut down of the MP forum, the censoring of any criticism, etc. has really just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

This isn't all on MP. He's still my favorite drummer and I still love Flying Colors and his work with Neal but man this whole thing has been handled so poorly that it's turned into a complete dumpster fire.