Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308933 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2590 on: September 20, 2017, 01:12:08 PM »
Even the naysayers in this thread are still gonna buy this album when it comes out. You know they are,,  OH It's true!   :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2591 on: September 20, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Found a link to this review on Facebook: https://progreport.com/sons-of-apollo-psychotic-symphony-album-review/

Interesting review and well written. I do, however, always hold these at arms length when a reviewer does not point out anything that he or she doesn't like. NOTHING is perfect. Having done a ton of album and concert reviews for a variety of online and print publications myself, I love the enthusiasm in this. But there has to be something to balance out all the praise.

Yeah, I've read it (Mike himself posted it), it feels too good to be true. We'll see!

And about the instrumental:

the epic ends in a huge slow climax that terminates with a single keyboard note left drifting into the distance.

Uhm, where have I already heard an epic ending slowly and terminating with a single (nose) keyboard note?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: September 20, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
Even the naysayers in this thread are still gonna buy this album when it comes out. You know they are,,  OH It's true!   :biggrin:

Depends on the quality of the music... based on the two songs relesed I did not preorder.
Will listen on Spotify and if I like what I hear I will buy it, if not....

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2593 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks Rodrigo! Just what I needed. After hearing two less then "stellar" reviews from members I trust their opinion on, it was nice to read that review and has me very excited once again! It's still not what I had hoped for (FII 2 -  :facepalm:) but this WILL ROCK! :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2594 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
Are there any bonus tracks or deluxe versions or anything? Or just the basic CD?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2595 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
I haven't listened to any spoilers. I just want to buy the album and take it all in at once without any pre-conceived notions.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2596 on: September 20, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

No, I won't.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2597 on: September 20, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
Me neither.

Or better, this will have for me the same approach I had with Flying Colors: Mild interest, heard it out of curiosity, then realized it how good it was and just had to buy it. For sure I won't do a blind purchase.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2598 on: September 20, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

Nope.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2599 on: September 20, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
I've made a lot of blind purchases. The best one ever being Nightwish's "Vehicle of Spirit" two concert dvd's and cds.  I knew nothing about them before this, they are awesome!
 Other blind purchases recently are;
 Similitude of s Dream. NMB
 Silent Assassins. Mike Lepond of SX
 The Mission. Styx
 Fantastic albums worth every penny!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:48:46 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2600 on: September 20, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

Absolutely not.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2601 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »

I guess in a round about way I will....because the only way I'm listening to the entire album is if it's on Apple Music....which I suspect it will be being the two singles are on it. But my $$ is going to Apple....not SOA
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2602 on: September 20, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »

I guess in a round about way I will....because the only way I'm listening to the entire album is if it's on Apple Music....which I suspect it will be being the two singles are on it. But my $$ is going to Apple....not SOA

It'll filter through; they'll get theirs.    It'll be $0.01 on the dollar but they'll get theirs.  :)  :) 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2603 on: September 20, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »
That review truly peaks my interest. I am as interested in the 'Jon Lord' rock sections as I am in the tech/proggy sections.

I also hope MP was able to reach down and pull out a few new fills like he always used to do with each new DT album. Something
that just makes you go :hefdaddy

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2604 on: September 20, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
Are there any bonus tracks or deluxe versions or anything? Or just the basic CD?

There's a 2CD edition where the 2nd CD is the instrumental version of the album.. www.lasercd.com

And vinyl pressings of different colors if you are interested in that.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2605 on: September 20, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »
I personally can't really take anything of value from a review like that.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2606 on: September 20, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
I saw that review posted on MP's Facebook, although it was almost over the top positive it ultimately got deleted and the poster banned because of this line.

The lyrics are a little predictable at times (‘beggin’ you to stay…comin’ your way…’

https://progreport.com/sons-of-apollo-psychotic-symphony-album-review/

Yes I am kidding
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:10:34 PM by bill1971 »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline majo

« Reply #2608 on: September 20, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »
I saw that review posted on MP's Facebook, although it was almost over the top positive it ultimately got deleted and the poster banned because of this line.

The lyrics are a little predictable at times (‘beggin’ you to stay…comin’ your way…’

Yes I am kidding
sad thing is, that i initially didn't see the "kidding part" and still wasn't overly surprised or shocked by the 1st (top) part of your post actually...
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2610 on: September 20, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »

No, but I will listen to it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2611 on: September 20, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
Coming home is the 2nd track, signs of the time is the 3rd. The first is a longer prog metal track with strong middle eastern influence...

You got my attention...

Try as I might and as unexcited as I am thanks to external crap, I still would like to find something to like about this band and am keeping a relatively open mind. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2612 on: September 20, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »

IT'S DAMN TRUE!

Here's a question that has been nagging me.

If Sons of Apollo isn't received as well as perhaps MP and DS want it to, or, if for some reason the chemistry breaks down with JSS (the points people made pages ago regarding the recording of the vocals is what I am referring to), do you think they pull a Dream Theater and replace JSS with someone else?

I mean no disrespect to JSS, but I'm just saying that if it doesn't work out (either with JSS, or the band as a whole), would MP get another guy, or simply fold the band?

I think there will be some scheduling conflicts and MP "unfortunately" won't be able to commit.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2614 on: September 20, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »

100% no way, Jose.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2615 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:08 PM »
That review is so over the top good that I wonder if Portnoy wrote it.  Reviewers need to remember that nothing is really THAT good so writing it up that way makes me ignore the whole thing.

"It is a statement – a declaration that these five stellar musicians intend to take over the planet, and it will not be a fair fight . . . the Sons of Apollo have launched their missile, and it is headed right at you"

Seriously, Mike ?  :rollin

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2616 on: September 20, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
Yea. I can’t take that review seriously at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2617 on: September 20, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
That's not a review. That's a press release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2618 on: September 20, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
That review is so over the top good that I wonder if Portnoy wrote it.  Reviewers need to remember that nothing is really THAT good so writing it up that way makes me ignore the whole thing.

"It is a statement – a declaration that these five stellar musicians intend to take over the planet, and it will not be a fair fight . . . the Sons of Apollo have launched their missile, and it is headed right at you"

Seriously, Mike ?  :rollin

Yeah, that's not a review, it's a puff piece. In fact the style is almost identical to those early AMob press releases, where they wrote about kicking everyone's ass and taking no prisoners and so on. I doubt Mike himself wrote it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of his friends in the industry. No proper music journalist would write like that.

As for the chap above who said the nay-sayers will still buy it, another 'nope, no chance' from me. I would have, were it not for Sherinian's shenanigans (missed opportunity for a band name there). I'm very sensitive (perhaps too sensitive, but whatever, it's my issue) to "quirky humor" which is based on social class and how people make their living, so his "burger flipper" jab told me what I need to know about him. He's not getting any of my money.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2619 on: September 20, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »
That's not a review. That's a press release.

It was written with all the objectivity of one of Derek's tweets.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2620 on: September 20, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
Wow, this tread  :rollin

Just been catching up, you guys have been busy.

I don't think I've listened to a single album that MP has played on, since leaving DT (other than Nightmare by A7X actually, but soley because I'm an A7X fan). I can't say that I've ever fanboyed over any of the DT band members, past or present. I'm more of a Casey Crescenzo kinda guy  :heart

I think the way that MP handles things is laughable but none of it really matters to me. I feel more inclined to check this out than anything else he has done, post-DT. I'm not expecting it to really rock my world (I can't imagine anything MP releases ever really will, at this point) but it might be enjoyable.

It's all just a lol-fest for me I guess. I find it fascinating sometimes that people can act a certain way and not seem to be able (or to want) to take a step back and see how that they may be perceived. I'm not on one side or the other as far as any of this is concerned. It's all just music, let that do the talking.

I'll check back in a few days now. Sure I'll at least have 200+ posts to catch up on.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2621 on: September 20, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »

100% no way, Jose.

SMH :\

Way to stay open minded.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2622 on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »

100% no way, Jose.

SMH :

Way to stay open minded.

Being "open minded" doesn't enter into it. Nobody is saying they won't listen to it, they are saying they won't buy it.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2623 on: September 20, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
I try and keep coming back to the site (hopefully to get some DT news), but whenever the MP subject comes up, it's nothing but personal attacks against the guy.

For the most part, I think MP was certainly correct about this forum. Aside from a few people like bosk, there is no middle ground here at all. It's all anti-MP. Such a shame as without MP, DT would have been LONG SINCE forgotten about.

Oh well.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2624 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »

100% no way, Jose.

SMH :

Way to stay open minded.

Being "open minded" doesn't enter into it. Nobody is saying they won't listen to it, they are saying they won't buy it.

OK, fair point, but if these people who are saying NO WAY will I buy it, wind up loving what they here, then what?