Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 311096 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1470 on: August 30, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
Does Mike own any nice clothing? Also, Derek looks like Satan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1471 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFTP_rEMrzU

Part 2 of the band's introduction.

Have to admit I laughed out loud on several occasions ;D

Called out the "Making history!" line, before Mike did!   :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1472 on: August 30, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
Also interesting the origin of album name and Ron's comments about the relation with Portnoy and Derek names :D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: August 30, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
They all seem happy with this, that makes me more excited. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1474 on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
I'm having a really hard time getting into the new song and the primary reason in the vocals.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1475 on: August 30, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: August 30, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
The fact that Jeff Scott Soto said Thal belongs "here" is meaningful.  This is a guy that has played with some truly great players - Yngwie, Neal Schon, Al Pitrelli, Alex Skolnick, Brian May - so he should have some insight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1477 on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »
Yeah, Soto is every bit the music industry veteran that any of these guys are.  Ultimately, we're STILL only talking about opinion.  But the guy's opinion carries some weight.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
Have to say I love the way Ron Thal comes across in these videos.

I checked out 'Little Brother is Watching' a couple of months ago, since I'm unfamiliar with his work, and came away reasonably impressed.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1479 on: August 30, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Have to say I love the way Ron Thal comes across in these videos.

I checked out 'Little Brother is Watching' a couple of months ago, since I'm unfamiliar with his work, and came away reasonably impressed.
I like his playing.  His songwriting/composing, at least for his solo work, doesn't really do it for me.  It's just too "out there" for my tastes.  But with Mike and Derek steering the ship, I'm not really concerned about that being a factor here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: August 30, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »
Yeah, Soto is every bit the music industry veteran that any of these guys are.  Ultimately, we're STILL only talking about opinion.  But the guy's opinion carries some weight.

What's your take, though, on him not being able to get a stable gig?  Is it him or the people he got in with (Yngwie has his demons...)?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1481 on: August 30, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »

What's your take, though, on him not being able to get a stable gig?  Is it him or the people he got in with (Yngwie has his demons...)?

Hard to say.  I mean, yeah, he has worked with a lot of artists.  But that doesn't mean there is a pattern.  He has done a ton of guest spots and his solo thing, but has had a total of 4 of what I would consider "big" gigs, so we can look at those:

I don't know the circumstances of his parting ways with Yngwie, so it could have been anything.  I have no idea whether it was his idea, Yngwie's, mutual, whether he left on good terms or bad, or anything. 

From everything I know about the Journey situation, he was just done wrong by that band.  And given the pattern of Journey's dealings with people over the years, I DO see a pattern there, and it is on their part, not his.  But at the end of the day, I don't think he was the right fit for that band anyway.

As far as Talisman, that was long-term, and I just don't know their situation other than the fact that they were never that big and were an on-again/off-again band.  He left them to go do Journey during one of their down periods, and they haven't really done anything since. 

As far as I know, he is still counted a member of TSO, but that is a seasonal gig, not really a full-time thing.

So I don't really see a pattern.  He is spoken of in a positive light from everyone I have ever heard talk about him in the music biz, including Dave Meniketti and Michael Sweet.  And seems like a nice, easy-going kind of guy from my limited experience with him...even if I did sing him off the stage at that one gig.  :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:55:48 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1482 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »

Hard to say.  I mean, yeah, he has worked with a lot of artists.  But that doesn't mean there is a pattern.  He has done a ton of guest spots and his solo thing, but has had a total of what I would consider "big" gigs, so we can look at those:

I don't know the circumstances of his parting ways with Yngwie, so it could have been anything.  I have no idea whether it was his idea, Yngwie's, mutual, whether he left on good terms or bad, or anything. 

From everything I know about the Journey situation, he was just done wrong by that band.  And given the pattern of Journey's dealings with people over the years, I DO see a pattern there, and it is on their part, not his.  But at the end of the day, I don't think he was the right fit for that band anyway.

As far as Talisman, that was long-term, and I just don't know their situation other than the fact that they were never that big and were an on-again/off-again band.  He left them to go do Journey during one of their down periods, and they haven't really done anything since. 

As far as I know, he is still counted a member of TSO, but that is a seasonal gig, not really a full-time thing.

So I don't really see a pattern.  He is spoken of in a positive light from everyone I have ever heard talk about him in the music biz, including Dave Meniketti and Michael Sweet.  And seems like a nice, easy-going kind of guy from my limited experience with him...even if I did sing him off the stage at that one gig.  :P

Regarding JSS and a stable gig -- he has one. Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Although I understand in the context of this conversation, most wouldn't view that as full-time. On top of that, Talisman was pretty popular in Europe. As bosk1 said, he got a raw deal with Journey, and Yngwie's reputation speaks for itself.

I had the good fortunate of interviewing JSS on the TSO tour in 2010. You can read it here -- https://breakdownroom.net/jss-110.html I spent about a half-hour talking about his career. He seems like a genuinely good guy, who works hard, provides for his family, and is as stable as they come. Again, that's only 30 minutes of being with him, but he was one of the most gracious musicians I've ever interviewed.

So, I don't think stability with JSS is going to be an issue at all. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
And that, boys and girls, is why you don't "assume".  I haven't heard much about the Journey thing, other than they were going through guys like tissues at a masturbation contest, before they settled on Arnel.  I too, don't think that was a great fit, and that's no knock on Soto.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1484 on: August 30, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

I love Bumblefoot. :lol He's got a really great humour and humility.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1485 on: August 30, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »

I love Bumblefoot. :lol He's got a really great humour and humility.

Anyone know the story behind that name?  A play on Buckethead maybe?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »

His Wiki entry specifically mentions it:

He adopted his nickname from the bacterial infection of the same name, which he learned about while helping his wife study for her veterinary exams.[2] The name went from being just the name of an album, to the name of a record label, to a band name, to eventually his name as a solo artist.[3]

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1487 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »

His Wiki entry specifically mentions it:

He adopted his nickname from the bacterial infection of the same name, which he learned about while helping his wife study for her veterinary exams.[2] The name went from being just the name of an album, to the name of a record label, to a band name, to eventually his name as a solo artist.[3]

:tup
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1488 on: August 30, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »

See! This is why EVERYONE on DTF is a TROLL!! LOL ROFL!!! #FAKENEWS!!! EVERYONE there makes sweeping generalizations!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1489 on: August 30, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
Since then [Richie] has gone back to saying, "I wasn't planning on getting married with the Winery Dogs."  Not looking good.

Oh, that's a shame. Do you have a source at all? I'd like to read it in context.

I found the first TWD album to be light years ahead of the second but I'd look forward to any new material from them one day, regardless.

https://www.bigmusicgeek.com/interviews/richiekotzen.html

Also says he is the primary songwriter and second album was more collaborative as opposed to the first.  I mean, perhaps I shouldn't be reading between the lines but it sounds like he's saying he had a decent enough time but doesn't see himself ever going back as a full time situation. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1490 on: August 30, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »

Hard to say.  I mean, yeah, he has worked with a lot of artists.  But that doesn't mean there is a pattern.  He has done a ton of guest spots and his solo thing, but has had a total of 4 of what I would consider "big" gigs, so we can look at those:

Talisman pretty much ended when Marcel Jacob died. It was his baby, though I believe there are some live dates planned.
JSS has a solo album coming out imminently and has done various solo things over many years.

He always comes across as a great guy. I've spoken with him a few times, however briefly, but he's a good guy.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1491 on: August 30, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
Derek Sherinian on twitter:

@SonsOfApollo1 promises you that there will be no concept records based on fictitious characters-
The era of the Sons is coming Oct 20

I mean, is this really neccesary to promote his band?  :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1492 on: August 30, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »

@SonsOfApollo1 promises you that there will be no concept records based on fictitious characters-

The ironic thing is that Mike was probably the most gung-ho to kick Derek out for Jordan back in the day.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1493 on: August 30, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »

The ironic thing is that Mike was probably the most gung-ho to kick Derek out for Jordan back in the day.

https://youtu.be/59tLv13dWC4?t=34m55s

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1494 on: August 30, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »

Isn't Apollo a fictitious character?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1495 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »
Derek just turned 50... doesn't he look great for his age?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1496 on: August 30, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »
He looks like the Kardashian mom.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:48:23 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1497 on: August 30, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »

Isn't Apollo a fictitious character?

:rollin

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1498 on: August 30, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
He looks like the Kardashian mom.

At least he didn't marry a tranny, and plays keyboard a bit better than her.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1499 on: August 30, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
But she married an Olympic champion.

Wasn't Apollo from Olympus? See? It's all becoming clear.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1500 on: August 30, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »

I get he's probably having a dig at Dream Theater/The Astonishing, but what's his problem with concept albums based on fictitious characters? The Wall (Pink), The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Rael), Tommy (Tommy), Operation Mindcrime (Nikki) and 2112 (The Priests and co) are all based on fictitious characters, all are classic albums, and all made his new band-leader's (MP's) favourite albums of all time list on his forum.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1501 on: August 30, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »

I get he's probably having a dig at Dream Theater, but what's his problem with concept albums based on fictitious characters? The Wall (Pink), The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Rael), Tommy (Tommy), Operation Mindcrime (Nikki) and 2112 (The Priests and co) are all based on fictitious characters, all are classic albums, and all made his new band-leader's (MP's) favourite albums of all time list.

Even Scenes From a Memory, the DT album that was made after he was gone from DT was a concept record based on fictitious characters.

Unless, he's just saying that to not get people's hopes up that just because this is a prog-metal project with two former members of DT, that there will be no concept albums with characters and stuff like that, which could be the actual reason why he said that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1502 on: August 30, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

Pretty tasteless of Derek to rip on the Neal Morse Band.  I mean, Similitude of a Dream isn't my thing either by why bash it?  I wonder what Mike has to say about this. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: August 30, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »

See! This is why EVERYONE on DTF is a TROLL!! LOL ROFL!!! #FAKENEWS!!! EVERYONE there makes sweeping generalizations!!

You can joke, but the clothing comment is not a positive thing to say.  At least the "Satan" comment comes off as made in jest.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1504 on: August 30, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »
I wonder if he goes to fancy restaurants wearing a jersey.

I don't dress up when I go to fancy places but I don't wear tank tops and shorts either.