Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 311069 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1435 on: August 29, 2017, 06:27:37 AM »
I used almost everything on the new SOA record. There is a lot of ballsy B3, and I really dug into my array of analog synths, experimenting running through different amps. This gives the synthesizer some balls and blends great with the guitars never sounding like cheese.  All my sounds are very organic, and played in real time. I do not use MIDI, sequencing, apps, or any gadgetry.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1436 on: August 29, 2017, 06:39:48 AM »
The instrumental is « Opus Maximus ». This song is a 10 minute beast that covers a lot of ground, and bombastically closes the record.

It's interesting that they chose to close the album with an instrumental, that's not a very common thing to do.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1437 on: August 29, 2017, 07:09:08 AM »
Thanks for including my question!

Interesting interview. The only project I see of being at risk is Winery Dogs since this contains two of their members. Flying colors and neal morse have such short tour cycles and I don't see Mike walking away from Neal Morse Band.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1438 on: August 29, 2017, 07:33:51 AM »

This is funny.  "Possibly pro-cancer".  Hahaha.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: August 29, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
Sons Of Apollo is going to generate ten times the heat that any of the other projects/bands that we are in, all other projects will quietly go by the wayside and put on « hiatus ».

This is a bold statement by Derek. I can't imagine Sons Of Apollo to generate more "heat" in terms of money than Mr. Big. And I can't imagine Mike putting the Neal Morse Band and Flying Colours on hiatus, although Neal Morse would probably carry on without him one way or the other.

But you have to read that entire interview.  He's a bombastic guy.  ALL the answers are over the top in that way.   "I imprint my DNA on each and every song".   "I have every keyboard ever hanging on my wall".    He's a hoot, and I think you have to take the actual words in the spirit in which they are intended.  Interviewing Derek is not like interviewing, say, Joe Satriani, who is a rather introspective soul.   Interviewing Derek is more like interviewing Gene Simmons. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1440 on: August 29, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »

Interesting interview. The only project I see of being at risk is Winery Dogs since this contains two of their members. Flying colors and neal morse have such short tour cycles and I don't see Mike walking away from Neal Morse Band.

Well, I think TWD is pretty much contingent on Richie getting the urge to play in a group project as opposed to doing solo stuff. I think that's the main reason TWD is on something of a hiatus at the moment anyway.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: August 29, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »

After what I saw Friday night, ANYTHING that jeopardizes the Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy creative collaboration is by definition a bad thing for me.   

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1442 on: August 29, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
Here is our exclusive interview of Derek Sherinian. Enjoy!
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2017/08/29/interview-in-english-derek-sherinian/

Nice interview. Really am looking forward to this release.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1443 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »

After what I saw Friday night, ANYTHING that jeopardizes the Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy creative collaboration is by definition a bad thing for me.

I had the same thought, lol. Seeing that band front row center and being at most 3 feet from Neal was an awe inspiring experience and one that I'll probably never get the chance to see again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1444 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:06 AM »

Nice interview. Really am looking forward to this release.

I am guardedly optimistic about it.  I liked the first song, so that's a good sign.  But definitely in "wait and see" mode.  Can't judge it until I've heard it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: August 29, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »

I had the same thought, lol. Seeing that band front row center and being at most 3 feet from Neal was an awe inspiring experience and one that I'll probably never get the chance to see again.

It's funny; I've been lucky enough to be front and center for a number of shows.  Rush, U2, Keith Urban, ELP, The Winery Dogs... and there was something about that show, something about NEAL, that was magnetic.  I've been around charismatic people before, and I even met Neal before the show and didn't really get that vibe... but on stage it was something different. I can't really put it into words well. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1446 on: August 29, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Yeah, I felt that same way when I saw him with Transatlantic on the Whirlwind tour.  And, to a degree, I think that even comes across on the live DVD's as well.  There's just something about him when he is in performer mode that is transcendent. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1447 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »

Can I share this link with the MP forum since this is coming from the hive of scum and villainy website?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: August 29, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »
To be fair, he only said DTF is a hive of scum and villainy ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1449 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »
To be fair, he only said DTF is a hive of scum and villainy ;D

Oh yes, good point. The person who did this interview is from a French DT site, I was thinking he was from this site. It gets confusing sometimes. :) Am I a troll when I post here and ok when I post in MP.com.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1450 on: August 29, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »

Since he has worked closely with both guys... Who does he think would win in an Arm Wrestling match. Zakk Wylde or John Petrucci.

I am dead serious

He answered the question and later sent me this pic :

@bill1971 : Yes you can, Sons of Apollo shared it. To be fair, the interview was conducted by me so I'm both from the French fan club and from DTF and some questions were from the members of that forum (JayOctavarium and bosk1).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1451 on: August 29, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
Derek said: "I have no desire to play Anna Lee again."

:'(

Well, I think TWD is pretty much contingent on Richie getting the urge to play in a group project as opposed to doing solo stuff. I think that's the main reason TWD is on something of a hiatus at the moment anyway.

Yeah I get the feeling that Richie has no desire to.  I remember Mike tweeting something about only trusting your family right around the time the last tour wrapped up.  Far be it from Mike to be cryptic but my first thought was, "Well did the Winery Dogs breakup?"

Later Richie made statements indicating he was done and then did damage control by giving a cryptic statement about being sure they would play with each other again.  Since then he's gone back to saying, "I wasn't planning on getting married with the Winery Dogs."  Not looking good. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1452 on: August 29, 2017, 05:56:51 PM »
You used my question!

:heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: August 29, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
Since then [Richie] has gone back to saying, "I wasn't planning on getting married with the Winery Dogs."  Not looking good.

Oh, that's a shame. Do you have a source at all? I'd like to read it in context.

I found the first TWD album to be light years ahead of the second but I'd look forward to any new material from them one day, regardless.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1454 on: August 30, 2017, 01:54:28 AM »
My answers to all of your comments:
@KevShmev: when I wrote the article, I wanted to insert a comment in parentheses reading: In you face Jordan ;)
@kaos2900 and JayOctavarium: you're welcome, but don't thank me, I had a small amount of time to prepare the interview with just two hours to listen to BCCIV so I took every possible question that I could take.
@Stadler and @Kwyjibo: I totally agree with Stadler, I've learnt to know Derek and he is very emphatic. Remember, he is the one who said: "Making history". All of his tweets and statements are reallly over the top and should not be taken at face value.
@bill1971: thanks a lot, I'm really looking forward to interviewing him IRL with Mike in two weeks (if everything goes according to plan).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1455 on: August 30, 2017, 04:25:30 AM »
The final song and epic is an instrumental? bummer! ok, I'm sure it will be great, but I hoped for a more traditional "big epic" for the album, with vocals I mean.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1456 on: August 30, 2017, 04:28:59 AM »
Wasn't it already announced a while ago that there would be a 10 minute instrumental? Looking at the track times, I thought it was pretty obvious that OM would be it.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1457 on: August 30, 2017, 04:35:48 AM »
Yeah, I remember that, I simply didn't make 2+2.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1458 on: August 30, 2017, 04:41:26 AM »

Yeah I get the feeling that Richie has no desire to.  I remember Mike tweeting something about only trusting your family right around the time the last tour wrapped up.  Far be it from Mike to be cryptic but my first thought was, "Well did the Winery Dogs breakup?"

Later Richie made statements indicating he was done and then did damage control by giving a cryptic statement about being sure they would play with each other again.  Since then he's gone back to saying, "I wasn't planning on getting married with the Winery Dogs."  Not looking good.

Which sucks for me especially because the Dogs are my favorite post-DT Portnoy project/band and although I'm in the minority I prefer Hot Streak to the debut. Both albums are just solid f'ing rock with lots of variety. I want more. Flying Colors isn't heavy enough to keep me satisfied all the time but the Dogs are great for driving. :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1459 on: August 30, 2017, 04:44:35 AM »
Since then [Richie] has gone back to saying, "I wasn't planning on getting married with the Winery Dogs."  Not looking good.

Oh, that's a shame. Do you have a source at all? I'd like to read it in context.

I am always surprised when people are surprised by this. Kotzen has released a solo album almost every year since 1989; I think it's pretty obvious that TWD was always going to be a temporary thing, and he would return to doing the solo thing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: August 30, 2017, 06:58:54 AM »
Derek said: "I have no desire to play Anna Lee again."

:'(

It's somewhere on Mike's forum, but I called this back in the day.   It struck me as an odd choice; he was in Poison, he was out.  He was in Mr. Big, he was out.  Yeah, he was replacing guys (who all came back) but he's a solo artist first and foremost.  Not that you can't do both in this day and age, but it didn't feel set in stone to me then, and doesn't now.  Thankfully, while I like them and went and saw opening night of this last tour, it's low on my list of Mike endeavors, so it is what it is. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1461 on: August 30, 2017, 07:02:10 AM »
He was kicked out of Poison for having an affair with Brent Michaels' girlfriend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1462 on: August 30, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »
He was kicked out of Poison for having an affair with Brent Michaels' girlfriend.

I think it was Rickie Rocket's fiance.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: August 30, 2017, 07:08:07 AM »

I think it was Rickie Rocket's fiance.

I think you are correct.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1464 on: August 30, 2017, 07:17:01 AM »
Yeah but he's Canadian it's hard to hit yourself on with a hockey stick to to go to different pages. :lol

Ytse my brother! How are you?

Still hanging on....
lol

This place needs a face lift.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
That only happens with the new album!

Last day of vacation. Back to the grind tomorrow. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »

I am always surprised when people are surprised by this. Kotzen has released a solo album almost every year since 1989; I think it's pretty obvious that TWD was always going to be a temporary thing, and he would return to doing the solo thing.

I am surprised you were surprised that I was surprised when I wasn't surprised. Just a tad disappointed :lol
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:31:11 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: August 30, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFTP_rEMrzU

Part 2 of the band's introduction.

Have to admit I laughed out loud on several occasions ;D
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1468 on: August 30, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
The mood within the band seems truly excelent :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1469 on: August 30, 2017, 08:54:53 AM »
I really love the 2 band intro videos. Seems super fun. I'm excited to get this album and learn some of the music. I wasn't a massive fan of the released song, the vocals seem odd. Gave it 3 or so listens and was able to feel it and rock out though.