Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 307840 times)

Offline ronnibran

Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #595 on: June 13, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
I just went on youtube to look up this Jeff guy....  "If" he is the singer (and I realize it's a big "if"), it just isn't screaming "prog metal supergroup" so far.  If Bumblefoot is in also, it just seems more like a washed up hard rock band musicians thing. 

Who's going to be writing the  prog epics???!!!  That to me is the important piece of the equation.

edit: not that he's a bad singer, I just am not getting a prog metal supergroup vibe.  I'm not assuming yet at this point we know whos in the band, I am purely commenting on the latest rumors.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #596 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
If it's JSS I'm seriously underwhelmed but still hope something good comes out of it.

I'd agree with this. I think Jeff has a great hard rock/metal voice, but none of his tunes have ever really grabbed me unless Marky Mark was lip syncing them.

ok, I didn't realize he was one of the voices behind Marky Mark.  But I actually got a bit excited because I have a guilty pleasure for the song We All Die Young from the terrible film Rock Star.  Then I realized he wasn't the dude in Steelheart but rather the voice of the worst most annoying song from that soundtrack called Stand Up and Shout (not the Dio version unfortunately). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBNK6mXQKc

So even though the dude unquestionably has a great voice, I have an extreme bias against him for this song alone.  It also doesn't help that my town's minor league hockey team plays this about 32 times every game.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #597 on: June 13, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
Did MP specifically say that this project was a return to prog metal?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #598 on: June 13, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »

I believe so.  I mean, it shouldn't be discounted if it is Soto.  Afterall, LaBrie was in a glam band called Winter Rose before DT and Charlie Dominici was in Frankie & the Knockouts.

Offline Adami

« Reply #599 on: June 13, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »

I believe so.  I mean, it shouldn't be discounted if it is Soto.  Afterall, LaBrie was in a glam band called Winter Rose before DT and Charlie Dominici was in Frankie & the Knockouts.

If he did, then cool. If not, it would suck if everyone built this up as a huge return to intense prog metal when it just ends up being fun glam rock or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #600 on: June 13, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »

If he did, then cool. If not, it would suck if everyone built this up as a huge return to intense prog metal when it just ends up being fun glam rock or something.

Well, I don't think he has checked off glam rock from his master list so maybe John Arch turned him down and he went with plan B ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #601 on: June 13, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
For a 51 year old dude, I felt that Stand Up And Shout rendition was *very* respectable.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #602 on: June 13, 2017, 08:05:18 PM »
For a 51 year old dude, I felt that Stand Up And Shout rendition was *very* respectable.

Not disputing his skill at all.  I just hate the song.  Don't particularly care for *how* he sings that song but I think that has more to do with the song just being terrible rather than how he chose to emote.  Definitely willing to give him a chance. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #603 on: June 13, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »

It's in MP Facebook on 03/01/17:

Hmmmm....what have we here??
I'm in LA recording an album with something NEW...
Sorry, this is all you're gonna get outta me on this for a while...More will be revealed at a later date...stay tuned!
#ProgMetalSupergroup Coming soon... 😎
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Adami

« Reply #604 on: June 13, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »
Poor guy backed himself into a corner.

Sadly DS is way more technically complex than MP is. So either they do prog light, generic prog, or not super prog and fans get pissed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: June 13, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »
We don't need Sherlock Holmes to figure this out guys.

It's in MP Facebook on 03/01/17:

Hmmmm....what have we here??
I'm in LA recording an album with something NEW...
Sorry, this is all you're gonna get outta me on this for a while...More will be revealed at a later date...stay tuned!
#ProgMetalSupergroup Coming soon... 😎

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #606 on: June 13, 2017, 11:02:02 PM »
if John Arch happened to be the singer, the potential for this project goes up a lot for me.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: June 14, 2017, 12:39:13 AM »
Was soo exited when MP announced he was working on a new Prog Metal supergroup.
Now I think it was just trying to hype with what his fans wants to hear.
I would think that Prog Metal supergroup would be consisting of well known artists from within the Prog Metal scene....

If it is Bumblefoot and Jeff Scott Soto then to my eyes it would be only half of a prog metal supergroup.

Would much rather see Arch as the singer..  would give it more credibility in my eyes

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #608 on: June 14, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
I would think that Prog Metal supergroup would be consisting of well known artists from within the Prog Metal scene....

If it is Bumblefoot and Jeff Scott Soto then to my eyes it would be only half of a prog metal supergroup.

Would much rather see Arch as the singer..  would give it more credibility in my eyes

Depends on how you interpret the term. They are a supergroup that plays prog metal, so prog metal supergroup is an apt description in my view. For example, The Night Flight Orchestra is called a classic (prog)rock supergroup, but it's members are from relatively modern metal bands (notably Arch Enemy and Soilwork).

Anyways, if they are good musicians capable of playing the genre, I don't care what their genre was or how people label them.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #609 on: June 14, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »
I think this (rumored) lineup has the potential to make great prog metal music, it could be a good surprise for most of us. However, Portnoy's "hype the crap out of it" strategy doesn't always end up working well, so we'll have to wait and see. Also, we have absolutely no clues on who might be the bassist. I really hope it's not Billy Sheehan again.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #610 on: June 14, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
Keep in mind this "rumored" lineup that includes JSS is based on a loose theory right now. Not saying people didn't hit the nail on the head, but I don't think we can say with any degree of certainty that a few twitter follows is a solid indication. I just think JSS is now more likely than random guess X.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »
I'd like to clarify something. When I posted about JSS being my guess, that's all it was. Rumors start in wild ways, and that's part of what communities are like this are for -- speculation. But in case this rumor was "started" by me, honest to goodness, I was just trying to think of who lives in LA that makes sense.

If I'm one of a bunch of guys to suggest JSS, then cool, but if this is all stemming from my comment, I apologize. I was just doing normal message board speculation. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #612 on: June 14, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »

Depends on how you interpret the term. They are a supergroup that plays prog metal, so prog metal supergroup is an apt description in my view.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read Swedish Goose's post.

But please, please, please, no John Arch. That guy's vocals are like nails on a chalkboard and then some! However, due to JA's lack of interest in touring, I don't see him being the vocalist. My only other fear is that whoever MP has chosen also will include cookie-monster vocals which I absolutely abhor. Could completely ruin what would otherwise be the most exciting thing he's done since leaving DT.

I really hope it's not Billy Sheehan again.
Given that Billy's completely in deep with Mr. Big right now, I highly doubt he's involved with this project. I haven't a clue as to who the bassist could be, but one that comes to mind that (I believe) isn't doing much right now is Jason Newsted. IIRC, MP's expressed interest in working with him in the past, so he's a possibility, even if he doesn't have a "prog" background.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #613 on: June 14, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
  I haven't a clue as to who the bassist could be, but one that comes to mind that (I believe) isn't doing much right now is Jason Newsted. IIRC, MP's expressed interest in working with him in the past, so he's a possibility, even if he doesn't have a "prog" background.

That'd be cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2017, 12:12:45 AM »
MP just posted this blurb in a response to one of his posts on FB (taken from his latest Rhythm magazine cover story):
I have a new band I'll be announcing in the summer. It is premature to give away too much information about that now but I can say that it also involves Derek Sherinian who I worked with in Dream Theater. It is the two of us with an all-star line-up. It is myself and Derek getting back together and picking up where we left off. It's music that is probably closest to Dream Theater out of everything that I have done over the last six years. I have purposefully stayed away from the prog-metal genre because I wanted to spread my wings. But I would say that doing these Shattered Fortress shows has kind of reignited a little interest in revisiting that world from me. Derek and I have formed this new band that will satisfy myself and quench the fans' thirst for something in that vein.

Incidentally, it's interesting to note that the main post that this blurb was posted within was about how he had a busy week working on both this and the next Metal Allegiance album, and one of the people who posted a response was JSS. That could just be coincidence - at this point I wouldn't read too much into it. Oh and JSS' response was just simply "The man who never sleeps"
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2017, 12:22:01 AM »
2018: Mike Portnoy covers SFAM live, world tour  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2017, 07:33:33 AM »
2018: Mike Portnoy covers SFAM live, world tour  :corn

I highly doubt that.

Though he could always do that as a 'cash grab', but I don't think he needs do, nor does he want to.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »
If at all, it would be 2019, the 20th anniversary  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »
So are we all just assuming that Bumblefoot is the guitarist? I for one am hoping that isn't the case. I for one am hoping it's Eric Gillette.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
I love how he puts it, "me and Derek picking up where we left off".

Yeah, when you kicked him out of the band!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »

I assume MP meant the last time they did something together, which was PSMS...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »

:lol Yeah, pretty much that. If you watch the Score documentary, it's Mike himself who says something like "Derek is great, but he had to go in order for us to grow, he wasn't the best fit for DT." (I'm paraphrasing here, there were not his exact words).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
Derek and MP have played together in WDADR, formed PSMS and toured together...nothing wrong with reconciling with a former colleague.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »
So are we all just assuming that Bumblefoot is the guitarist? I for one am hoping that isn't the case. I for one am hoping it's Eric Gillette.
Well, judging by the video screen capture that someone made before it was removed, the evidence speaks for itself until otherwise proven wrong. So I think it's safe to assume :biggrin: that most are assuming Bumblefoot is the guitarist.

I assume MP meant the last time they did something together, which was PSMS...
Being that PSMS never created any original material, I'm gonna guess that is not what he meant. He probably meant where they left off post-FII. Derek was well aware of the plans to convert Metropolis part II into a full-blown album, and so was in that mindset when he was let go.

:lol Yeah, pretty much that. If you watch the Score documentary, it's Mike himself who says something like "Derek is great, but he had to go in order for us to grow, he wasn't the best fit for DT." (I'm paraphrasing here, there were not his exact words).
Ha! Well, MP has never shied away from say that Derek wasn't the best fit for DT - even after MP himself left DT, he has still said the same thing. But given the parameters that DT wanted to work within, that's their choice. I don't necessarily agree, as I really love what Derek brought to the table (aside from his overuse of the Hammond organ patch), but when you compare the 3 keyboardists of DT, there's more of a difference stylistically between him and the other two, than if you were to compare Kev and JR. Kev and JR were both influenced by other keyboardists; Derek, OTOH was probably as influenced by a variety of guitarists as he was keyboardists.

That said, I am really looking forward to see what they put together now that they can develop their own band/sound from the ground up without having to follow what came before.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
Maybe not too much people here remember this, but IIRC, Derek was the othrer guy behind PN at sea 2014, so him and MP have already worked on quite a few things the last couple of years.
Also, even though I can't stand MP anymore (as a person), I think this is his most promising/interesting post-DT album/band, and including Derek makes it better, so I'm reaaly looking forward to this thing being fully announced properly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily accurate to say that Mike Portnoy saying "Derek wasn't the best fit for DT at the time" is the same as saying "I, MP, wanted him gone and made it happen, whether the others wanted it or not".  Derek IS a second guitar player on stage, moreso than Kevin and Jordan, and perhaps John and Mike had a different vision.  Doesn't mean he's bad or not capable.   And now that he's forming a new band, maybe DEREK will be "John" and the focus will be a guitar player that can play with HIM and not the other way around. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »
Derek wasn't a good fit for where DT was headed at the time. That doesn't mean he's a bad keyboardist or not worth MP's time. Picking up where they left off with FII makes sense because they did have some cool ideas on FII and since MP is also out of DT now it's an interesting concept to see what else the two have to offer as collaborators.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
I think it's fair to say that Derek came out of DT a changed musician. Good for him. He handled the whole DT thing with grace.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
I think it's fair to say that Derek came out of DT a changed musician. Good for him. He handled the whole DT thing with grace.

Indeed!!!! His solo stuff is way more complex than anything he did in ACOS and FII.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »

Indeed. He had to learn most of IAW and Awake in 2 weeks, before the Awake tour started. That's no easy task  :hefdaddy