Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308919 times)

Offline majo

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2940 on: September 26, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
Question for the mods -- any chance we can get a new thread for Sons of Apollo that is intended to discuss the album news/reviews and music, as opposed to MP vs. DT, DS' tweets, and all the drama? I am looking forward to the record, but I swear, wading through all the bullshit in this thread is a chore and honestly, its not all that productive. Just a request. If not, no worries. Thanks for what all the mods do to keep things civil around here. :)

I kinda agree along these lines. I don't mind people discussing the MP forums/facebook/twitter fiascos, because let's face it, it is directly relevant and impactful to a lot of the people here, such as Minstro and others who have come from MP.com. But as someone who is still slightly interested in this band, it's funny to see several new pages every day and yet exactly no actual news.

That's not really the posters' fault though, is it?   There isn't any new music at this point, and so it isn't as if these posts are taking the spot of what would otherwise be deep music analysis.  Plus, I genuinely feel bad for MR as well, and would be interested to hear more about why the abrupt about-face.

+1
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2941 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Ministro you went from one of MP's biggest supporters and promoters to one of his seeming enemies in about 2 weeks flat. Not
sure how that happened but I feel bad for you. You traveled a long ways to see many shows and were a true super-fan.

I'll PM you later, I don't want to continue what others called drama around this thread.

MR - please check your PMs. Thanks. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2942 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »
I am done with MP and his forum and his balls lickers

Wait, I thought the forum wasn't a thing anymore?? Is it back up?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2943 on: September 26, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
Maybe that Joel guy made it more clear that it was a promo copy by talking about his upcoming review?

frankly, I don't care anymore, my comment asking why it was removed was removed too.

Not to play armchair moderator here but can we remove this comment just for the sheer hilarity of it?

j/k

I actually think that's pretty crappy to have that double standard for Ministro.  Also not very smart to treat a reviewer that way from a PR perspective.  Then again, PR is definitely not a strong suit of the Nu Godz of PRRRRRROOOOOOGGGGGG!!!1!!one!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: September 26, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »
Ministro you went from one of MP's biggest supporters and promoters to one of his seeming enemies in about 2 weeks flat. Not
sure how that happened but I feel bad for you. You traveled a long ways to see many shows and were a true super-fan.

I'll PM you later, I don't want to continue what others called drama around this thread.

MR - please check your PMs. Thanks. :)

:-*

lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2945 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »
For all the occasional internet shortcomings he might have, Mike made on FB a very tasteful post about the show and his past in DT, saying only nice things about the band and how grateful he was to relive those memories.

I think too that an eventual reunion, although very unlikely (and Mike himself acknowledges that), would pass through Mangini leaving of his own accord and desire, and JP sitting down with the other DT guys asking "So, guys, what do we do? do you think you can sit down in a room with him and see if it would work again?"

Let's hope that never happens.  It would be extremely disappointing if the band took him back after all of the cheap shots he has aimed at them over the last 7 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2946 on: September 26, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
What was the FB post?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2947 on: September 26, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
I don't want Mike back in DT. Mangini is perfect. JR and JP have enough vision for the band. Mike and his grudge can stay with the #newgodzofprog
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2948 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »

...over the last 7 years.

Damn, 7 years since the breakup.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2949 on: September 26, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
For all the occasional internet shortcomings he might have, Mike made on FB a very tasteful post about the show and his past in DT, saying only nice things about the band and how grateful he was to relive those memories.

I think too that an eventual reunion, although very unlikely (and Mike himself acknowledges that), would pass through Mangini leaving of his own accord and desire, and JP sitting down with the other DT guys asking "So, guys, what do we do? do you think you can sit down in a room with him and see if it would work again?"

Let's hope that never happens.  It would be extremely disappointing if the band took him back after all of the cheap shots he has aimed at them over the last 7 years.

It won't happen. JP and the gang have made it pretty clear that if another member leaves there is no replacing them....that would be it. Can't recall which interview it was but it's been mentioned a few times.

Maybe you cant say 'never' but highly unlikely given the comments from JP on multiple occasions and my own belief judging from the available social media and countless interviews etc from JLB/MP that those two are nowhere near reconciliation.....much less playing together again.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2950 on: September 26, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
What was the FB post?
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
What an amazing night in NYC last night!
I'm sure everybody in attendance would agree, the emotions in the air were very intense! I really felt the love and the appreciation for revisiting this music again.

It was great seeing so many smiling faces...fans, friends and family....there were even a lot of tears flowing!

During the show, I went down memory lane w the crowd with all the classic shows I did w DT in NYC through the years:

1988 US Blues - 1st NYC show
1989 The Ritz w Marillion
1993 The Ritz w Iron Maiden
1997 Irving Plaza (20 yrs later in the same venue)
2000 Roseland - LSFNY 
2002 Beacon Theater - Master Of Puppets
2006 Radio City Music Hall - Score
2010 Madison Square Garden w Iron Maiden

I loved my 25 years in DT...the band I co-created and steered the ship for for so many years...I have more great memories than I can possibly ever sum up in a post...and these Shattered Fortress shows gave me (and a lot of fans) some much needed closure.

I honestly have no idea if I'll ever play with the band ever again...I'm not opposed to it, but I also am not counting on it either...if I never do, I am glad I've been able to share these very special shows with you all again...it's been amazing!

We have one more run in South America next month and one more run in Australia in November and then it's onto the next chapter in my life and career with Sons Of Apollo...

But I'd like to take this moment to thank Eric, Charlie, Richard, Diego, Conner, Ross for learning and performing this music with so much PRECISION & PASSION....and any of YOU that made the trip to share one (or more) of these shows with me and share this music with me #OneLastTime

Carpe Diem!
MP

I was more intrigued by the next chapter in my life and career with Sons of Apollo. It sounds like he thinks it will be more of a permanent thing or at least a main band for him. Kotzen in an interview made it sound like he wants to slow Winery Dogs down and I think Mike should try to build up at least one of these bands to more than just a side gig.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2951 on: September 26, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
Thank you.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2952 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »
That was very well written.  Just the right tone to it, and plenty of ellipses in case anyone doubts that he really wrote it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2953 on: September 26, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
Good post by MP.

See Stads? Credit where credit is due. You owe me a juice or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2954 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
Despite ragging on Mike recently that was a great little reflection. He should be proud of what he's accomplished and what he's done with TSF finally giving this one last DT gift to the fans that have been wanting it for so long.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2955 on: September 26, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »
There's no denying the hard work and dedication that Mike puts towards things and the accomplishments he listed. In fact, a lot of the work he did in the band shows at those concerts he listed and the experience he helped shape with the setlist, stage show and direction and a lot of other behind the scenes things that he orchestrated-- the Score DVD, Master of Puppets CD and DVD, etc. MP has a lot to show for his work with DT and he shouldn't be disappointed at all
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2956 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
Mike's post just showed the silliness of the shitstorm Derek's tweets have done in the past weeks. The TSF tour was Mike giving closure to his DT past, and Derek counterproductively kept the link to DT open and in a bad way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2957 on: September 26, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »

Absolutely.  If MM were no longer able to be in DT I'd rather them go with someone else before MP.  If they *did* bring MP back it would totally validate his ridiculous and trash behavior over these years.  I would support some kind of reconciliation and some guest performances but that's about it.

His attitude is now affecting my enjoyment of the pre-MM DT music and that really sucks.  Not when they play them with MM, but when an MP-era song comes up I feel cringy.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:35 PM »
Great post by Mike Portnoy.
Still I don't want him back in DT even if MM left on his own accord. He has in my view shown during the last 7 years that je does not belong there and would probably not be a good influence.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2959 on: September 27, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
I shared this in the TSF thread, but given MP's statement, if anyone is interested in seeing his speech from the NYC show, I have it here (timestamped for you): https://youtu.be/8bwd95zKRm4?t=5m10s

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2960 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »

Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Yes, Van Halen, Kiss, Iron Maiden (the interview with Bruce linked in the discography elsewhere on this forum), Black Sabbath (more than once), Mike and Derek, The Police...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2961 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »

It won't happen. JP and the gang have made it pretty clear that if another member leaves there is no replacing them....that would be it. Can't recall which interview it was but it's been mentioned a few times.

Maybe you cant say 'never' but highly unlikely given the comments from JP on multiple occasions and my own belief judging from the available social media and countless interviews etc from JLB/MP that those two are nowhere near reconciliation.....much less playing together again.

GMD, not attacking you or anything like that, but I was reading your post when this question struck me, so you get the quote...

These are honest questions, and not at all a sarcastic or ironic:   Do any of you ever change your mind?  Change your feelings?  Change your view of certain events/people/relationships?   I tend to re-evaluate things often, and it's amazing to me that I sometimes come to different conclusions over time.  I either learn more about the situation, or more about myself, or just move past certain things bothering me.   Certainly, what "bothered" me at 25 doesn't bother me at 50, and vice versa. 

I'm amazed at how often posts here seem to take one thing or one event or one statement, and cast it in granite forevermore.  I know for me, I went through a painful divorce in 2012/2013 (note: less than seven years ago) and the woman that I was with for 15 years (and had my only, beloved daughter) went from wife for whom I sacrificed, to mortal enemy (we talked through lawyers for a spell), to a forced nuisance(we had to parent), to a less-forced, more polite acquaintance, to, well, I wouldn't say "friend" but certainly someone I can interact with and even at times reminisce with, fondly.   

People grow, evolve, change, and sometimes revert.   We're not always static, and I know for me, I would hate to live life that way. I do NOT want to be the same guy I was at 25, even if I look back on that guy with fondness and appreciation. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2962 on: September 27, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »
I would want MP back mostly because MP is a great ego capable of challenging Petrucci's great ego. JP is a great guitar player, and has even been a great songwriter at times, but I think the last two DT albums are proof that his vision alone can not sustain the legacy of band. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2963 on: September 27, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
@Stadler. Absolutely. I've changed my general view and outlook on life a complete 180 in the past 15-20 years. When I said it'd 'never' happen concerning MP rejoining DT it's because JP himself has said a few times that there will be no further band member changes. If someone decides to retire or leave they'd not continue as DT.

Does that mean that JP and The gang would never change their mind? Never say never, right? But like i said in that post.....everything I've read Over the past 7 years from all parties involved lead me to believe a reunion or MP ever rejoining DT is highly unlikely

I would want MP back mostly because MP is a great ego capable of challenging Petrucci's great ego. JP is a great guitar player, and has even been a great songwriter at times, but I think the last two DT albums are proof that his vision alone can not sustain the legacy of band. 

Completely disagree with this.....but hey, opinions.  :tup

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2964 on: September 27, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
I'd welcome a reunion on two conditions:

- Mike Mangini leaves of his own free will
- If it's indeed true what may seem the consensus, that MP and JLB are not on speaking terms, that they'd sit down and sort it out and sincerely get along rather than barely standing each other because of the safe net that is  the Dream Theater name and brand.

These things not happening would spoil an eventual reunion for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2965 on: September 27, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »

- If it's indeed true what may seem the consensus, that MP and JLB are not on speaking terms, that they'd sit down and sort it out and sincerely get along rather than barely standing each other because of the safe net that is  the Dream Theater name and brand.

I agree with this, but I'd also add a third condition - Mike doesn't try to exert control over most/every aspect of the band again, and that includes James's position in the band and on the mic. No more backing Mike vocal parts. Please. No more.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2966 on: September 27, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »

agree on this.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2967 on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »

I disagree respectfully. I would put ADTOE, DT self titled and The Astonishing against Octavarium, SC and BCSL.

I truly love all the albums listed above, actually all DT albums but in my opinion they are getting stronger. Would they have if MP stayed? Possibly.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2968 on: September 27, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »

I disagree respectfully. I would put ADTOE, DT self titled and The Astonishing against Octavarium, SC and BCSL.

I truly love all the albums listed above, actually all DT albums but in my opinion they are getting stronger. Would they have if MP stayed? Possibly.   

Yeah, I not only agree with you, Bill, but I rank each of those three MM-era albums above any of the 3 MP-era albums you mentioned. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2969 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »

I agree with this, but I'd also add a third condition - Mike doesn't try to exert control over most/every aspect of the band again, and that includes James's position in the band and on the mic. No more backing Mike vocal parts. Please. No more.

+1
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2970 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »

Yeah, I not only agree with you, Bill, but I rank each of those three MM-era albums above any of the 3 MP-era albums you mentioned.
[/b]

absolutely. The last three DT releases with MP had 'moments' but all in all were pretty bland. the first three with MM had a much better direction for my ears....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2971 on: September 27, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
At this point I don't want MP to join as a full time member. I do think it would be cool to see him play a one off show or something. Similar to what Spock's Beard did for Snow. Have two massive drum kits and play SFAM.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2972 on: September 27, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
At this point I don't want MP to join as a full time member. I do think it would be cool to see him play a one off show or something. Similar to what Spock's Beard did for Snow. Have two massive drum kits and play SFAM.

That would be really cool! Continuing with the SB analogy, they also released a big epic (Falling for Forever) with all the current and past members of the band as part of their 20th anniversary. I would love to see DT do that with the former members, but they'd have to get through a lot of stuff between them first.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2973 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:23 AM »

I'd love to see that!! I think MM would be cool with it because he seems like a genuinely cool guy who'd understand it.....and JP and JR are on speaking terms with MP.

I think the hurdle is JLB and JMX.....judging from the social media/interview evidence out there I think it's those two guys and MP that haven't really reconciled.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2974 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
God I wish that adam02 guy was still making those classic Dream Theater videos overdubbing JP's voice. Would kill for some videos post-Portnoy split.