Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308801 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2905 on: September 26, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
Surprisingly, I really like the two SoA songs on YT. I didn't have any expectations, and both songs had some surprises that I dug.

I really like the fretless guitar bit in Coming Home. The bass was fat and groovy too. It's not a fantastic tune but I think it's a good "single". Signs of the Time makes me really interested in hearing the rest of the album. Very cool song and hearing Derek's lead patches again is like welcoming home and old friend. The guitar work great and impressive...if just a bit noodly toward the end of the solo.

I like JSS voice too.

Oh and, of course, Portnoy's drums are familiar, comfortable and professional. I assume we'll need to wait for the album to hear something with more of MP's flair.

Sorry about going off topic.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2906 on: September 26, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »
Surprisingly, I really like the two SoA songs on YT. I didn't have any expectations, and both songs had some surprises that I dug.

I really like the fretless guitar bit in Coming Home. The bass was fat and groovy too. It's not a fantastic tune but I think it's a good "single". Signs of the Time makes me really interested in hearing the rest of the album. Very cool song and hearing Derek's lead patches again is like welcoming home and old friend. The guitar work great and impressive...if just a bit noodly toward the end of the solo.

I like JSS voice too.

Oh and, of course, Portnoy's drums are familiar, comfortable and professional. I assume we'll need to wait for the album to hear something with more of MP's flair.
Exactly this, I've quite enjoyed the two tunes released so far. :tup
:lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2907 on: September 26, 2017, 07:38:18 AM »
Guys who here has the capability of doing an interview?
There’s a chance to interview Derek Sherinian on Thursday 28th on the last spot.
If you are a reviewer or a journalist or have a blog and have done something like this in the past send me the info requested in the image below and once I get the confirmation from the PR I will let you know.
I would do it on my own but can’t as tonite I am departing with my family to Colombia and I don’t know if I will be completely settled for the 28th.

Anyone?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2908 on: September 26, 2017, 07:38:57 AM »
Speculating on who hates who is fruitless when you don't have the whole picture. Just sayin'.

Trust me, THAT argument isn't going to go anywhere.  :) ;0  :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2909 on: September 26, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »

I like JSS voice too.

I suppose we have fallen into judging an album by the 'singles'. DTs choice of single was never a great gauge of the rest of the album. Rite of Passage, On The Backs of Angels, Constant Motion. No great prog classics there.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2910 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
Guys who here has the capability of doing an interview?
There’s a chance to interview Derek Sherinian on Thursday 28th on the last spot.
If you are a reviewer or a journalist or have a blog and have done something like this in the past send me the info requested in the image below and once I get the confirmation from the PR I will let you know.
I would do it on my own but can’t as tonite I am departing with my family to Colombia and I don’t know if I will be completely settled for the 28th.

Anyone?

I could do it. I'm a reviewer of Whiplash website

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2911 on: September 26, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
I just PM you Rodrigo

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2912 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2913 on: September 26, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
Trying to love the album, not for what it is, but for how it was sold to us, as a prog metal album by the Kings of Prog and the ones reclaiming the throne but, well... I don’t know...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2914 on: September 26, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
Trying to love the album, not for what it is, but for how it was sold to us, as a prog metal album by the Kings of Prog and the ones reclaiming the throne but, well... I don’t know...

Would really appreciate it if you could write a small review (or just some thoughts) after your listen.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: September 26, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
I posted the same picture of the album being played here at the MP forum and they removed it? WTF?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2916 on: September 26, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
I posted the same picture of the album being played here at the MP forum and they removed it? WTF?

Leads to too many questions. Are you supposed to have tracks nobody else has heard yet? Are you a reviewer? Did you break any review embargos? etc etc etc etc.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2917 on: September 26, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
Yeah, I must confess I am a bit bewildered too. The album is supposed to come out in October. I mean, we all know these things leak, but parading it around on a forum is maybe a bit questionable.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: September 26, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2919 on: September 26, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
Yeah, I must confess I am a bit bewildered too. The album is supposed to come out in October. I mean, we all know these things leak, but parading it around on a forum is maybe a bit questionable.

Another user posted a similar photo, and his wasn't removed. That's why I posted it there.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: September 26, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
I am done with MP and his forum and his balls lickers

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2921 on: September 26, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
Maybe that Joel guy made it more clear that it was a promo copy by talking about his upcoming review?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2922 on: September 26, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »
I know that Portnoy either knows Joel, or at the very least knows of Joel, so it's possible he knew he had a legit copy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: September 26, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »
Maybe that Joel guy made it more clear that it was a promo copy by talking about his upcoming review?

frankly, I don't care anymore, my comment asking why it was removed was removed too.
I got the album from the label too, for review purposes, also because me and some friends have a radio show and they will airplay it when it is released, (currently SoT and CH are in rotation). I am helping the label to accomodate interviews with Derek and Mike so, I got it officially too.
But as I said, I just don't care anymore.
I am done with MP and the guys behind his forum

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2924 on: September 26, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
I have a LEGIT copy too

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: September 26, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »
Joel is in the know I believe.  I found him from watching concerts on youtube (specifally ProgPower) and found out he is actually part of the team and is an official photographer/videographer.  I dont know him or anything, just something I've gathered since I've seen his name a lot.  I'm going to guess MP (or MP's extended crew) know who he is and that he has a legit copy whereas they may not know that about you (even if the copy is legit, which I believe you).  I'm just guessing.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: September 26, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
Joel is in the know I believe.  I found him from watching concerts on youtube (specifally ProgPower) and found out he is actually part of the team and is an official photographer/videographer.  I dont know him or anything, just something I've gathered since I've seen his name a lot.  I'm going to guess MP (or MP's extended crew) know who he is and that he has a legit copy whereas they may not know that about you (even if the copy is legit, which I believe you).  I'm just guessing.

OK, let's assume you are right, they don't know me and they don't know I got a legit copy. The album hasn't leaked, the tracking info and the artwork has been officially released, what harm does a picture like the one I posted does?

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: September 26, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »

OK, let's assume you are right, they don't know me and they don't know I got a legit copy. The album hasn't leaked, the tracking info and the artwork has been officially released, what harm does a picture like the one I posted does?

My first thought was that maybe because you had the track length in your pic, I didn't know that info had already been released.
Why was it removed? Beats me.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2928 on: September 26, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »

Some musicians don't like when any unapproved info is released prior to the official release date, and they can moderate how they see fit.  If they want to prohibit discussion of the unreleased tracks, that is their choice.  So by deleting your picture, they are avoiding the inevitable "how did you get this?  Is it pirated?  Give us some info, man discussions.'

In addition, I'd guess that many artists also frown upon people bragging about having something prior to the release date via a promo copy.  Write your review, do your promo work and don't brag about it on their official forum (or even unofficial forums).  Show the artist a little courtesy, maybe?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2929 on: September 26, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »

My first thought was that maybe because you had the track length in your pic, I didn't know that info had already been released.
Why was it removed? Beats me.

Track lenght is already disclosed:

Here: https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Sons_Of_Apollo_-_Psychotic_Symphony_-Ltd-_2CD_Mediabook-/16367

Or here: https://itunes.apple.com/ve/album/psychotic-symphony/id1267878801?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Or here: https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Sons_Of_Apollo_Psychotic_Symphony?id=Bufza2xjkqkdwljgyacw3mb67tq

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2930 on: September 26, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
I for one welcome our new #ProgGod overlords
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2931 on: September 26, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
Why do we talk so much about what gets censored at other forums/social media groups here???

DTF is unaffiliated with that. Seems impossible to actually keep tabs on any news or discussion when this thing goes on for pages and pages regarding the silliest issues.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2932 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
Why do we talk so much about what gets censored at other forums/social media groups here???

DTF is unaffiliated with that. Seems impossible to actually keep tabs on any news or discussion when this thing goes on for pages and pages regarding the silliest issues.

That's what we do here most of the time in fact

Offline emtee

« Reply #2933 on: September 26, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
Ministro you went from one of MP's biggest supporters and promoters to one of his seeming enemies in about 2 weeks flat. Not
sure how that happened but I feel bad for you. You traveled a long ways to see many shows and were a true super-fan.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2934 on: September 26, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
Question for the mods -- any chance we can get a new thread for Sons of Apollo that is intended to discuss the album news/reviews and music, as opposed to MP vs. DT, DS' tweets, and all the drama? I am looking forward to the record, but I swear, wading through all the bullshit in this thread is a chore and honestly, its not all that productive. Just a request. If not, no worries. Thanks for what all the mods do to keep things civil around here. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: September 26, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
I for one welcome our new #ProgGod overlords

lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2936 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
Question for the mods -- any chance we can get a new thread for Sons of Apollo that is intended to discuss the album news/reviews and music, as opposed to MP vs. DT, DS' tweets, and all the drama? I am looking forward to the record, but I swear, wading through all the bullshit in this thread is a chore and honestly, its not all that productive. Just a request. If not, no worries. Thanks for what all the mods do to keep things civil around here. :)

I kinda agree along these lines. I don't mind people discussing the MP forums/facebook/twitter fiascos, because let's face it, it is directly relevant and impactful to a lot of the people here, such as Minstro and others who have come from MP.com. But as someone who is still slightly interested in this band, it's funny to see several new pages every day and yet exactly no actual news.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: September 26, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
Ministro you went from one of MP's biggest supporters and promoters to one of his seeming enemies in about 2 weeks flat. Not
sure how that happened but I feel bad for you. You traveled a long ways to see many shows and were a true super-fan.

I'll PM you later, I don't want to continue what others called drama around this thread.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2938 on: September 26, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »

I'll PM you later, I don't want to continue what others called drama around this thread.

No please do. I am curious too. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2939 on: September 26, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

I kinda agree along these lines. I don't mind people discussing the MP forums/facebook/twitter fiascos, because let's face it, it is directly relevant and impactful to a lot of the people here, such as Minstro and others who have come from MP.com. But as someone who is still slightly interested in this band, it's funny to see several new pages every day and yet exactly no actual news.

That's not really the posters' fault though, is it?   There isn't any new music at this point, and so it isn't as if these posts are taking the spot of what would otherwise be deep music analysis.  Plus, I genuinely feel bad for MR as well, and would be interested to hear more about why the abrupt about-face.