Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308899 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2870 on: September 25, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
No question on which Canadian he hates now...

"The 3 of us and the Canadian." Fuck off.

Well, he was explaining how they didn't want him to take a flight just to be fired, and so he was explaining where they was: Derek in California, and the four of them in New York... and then he remembered that James wasn't there because it wasn't Canada, so let's just assume it was a geographical thing.

Even though a better correction would have been "Well, the three of us, James was in Canada".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2871 on: September 25, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »

Well, he was explaining how they didn't want him to take a flight just to be fired, and so he was explaining where they was: Derek in California, and the four of them in New York... and then he remembered that James wasn't there because it wasn't Canada, so let's just assume it was a geographical thing.

Even though a better correction would have been "Well, the three of us, James was in Canada".

He was asked on Facebook if he hates Canadians. He replied, "just one." You have the same singer for over 20 years, and refer to him as the Canadian? His personal beef aside, and I'm not Canadian, but what does HE have against Canadians?

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2872 on: September 25, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »

He was asked on Facebook if he hates Canadians. He replied, "just one." You have the same singer for over 20 years, and refer to him as the Canadian? His personal beef aside, and I'm not Canadian, but what does HE have against Canadians?

I think it was more of a slap in the face to James than to have anything to do with him being Canadian. To me it was more or less him not wanting to mention James by name. There is obviously very bad blood between those two. And Derek being so bitter still about getting fired from DT just reinforces that he's just being a dick rather than trying to be funny with all of the comments he's making.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2873 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »

I think it was more of a slap in the face to James than to have anything to do with him being Canadian. To me it was more or less him not wanting to mention James by name. There is obviously very bad blood between those two. And Derek being so bitter still about getting fired from DT just reinforces that he's just being a dick rather than trying to be funny with all of the comments he's making.

Yeah, he clearly hates James, but it just seems like lately he's been using that to also express his hatred for Canadians. Maybe a Canadian cut him off once. But seriously, not that it's my business, but what the hell happened to cause the beef?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2874 on: September 25, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Probably met Jingle.boy at a meat n greet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2875 on: September 25, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
I know there were comments when Mike left made by both... I don't remember the exact details, but it was something along the lines of James saying it was nice to be able to be the frontman and not having a drummer behind him trying to steal the spotlight, and then Mike saying how it was nice to be in bands that had a real frontman so he didn't have to be one. I'm sure there was more than that, but I believe that might have something to do with it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2876 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »
meat n greet.

Is that what they call the JP-specific one these days?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2877 on: September 25, 2017, 01:25:49 PM »
meat n greet.

Is that what they call the JP-specific one these days?

When did he give up chocolate cake?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2878 on: September 25, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
He was asked on Facebook if he hates Canadians. He replied, "just one."

Holy shit, really?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2879 on: September 25, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »

Holy shit, really?

That was a while ago, though wasn't it?   I don't think this has anything to do with Canada specifically. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: September 25, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »

Holy shit, really?

I mean how can you even like Justin Bieber? So.. that's ok by me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2882 on: September 25, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »

Holy shit, really?

That was a while ago, though wasn't it?   I don't think this has anything to do with Canada specifically.

No, it hasn't, just with JLB.

OK, I'm done. I'll never post in a thread related to MP again. The man just doesn't know when to stop and never will. And this doesn't have to do with what he said about JLB alone, it's that I'm fed up with all the shit he's triggering off with his comments and whatnot. From now on, I will just keep my thoughts to myself.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2883 on: September 25, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »
I find it incredibly sad, that if it is true, that MP and JLB can't sit down, man to man, and iron out whatever it is. Shame on both of them, if that is indeed the case.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2884 on: September 25, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
Speculating on who hates who is fruitless when you don't have the whole picture. Just sayin'.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2885 on: September 25, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »
I agree with that.  And I really don't care who hates who - I don't like the idea of them hating each other, but at the end of the day, there's nothing I can do about it.  I just think MP needs to let it go publicly - not just the stuff with JLB, but everything else that everyone else has mentioned.  It's been 7 years, we don't need to hear MP taking shots at anything to do with DT, regardless of who hates who or who has done what behind the scenes.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2886 on: September 25, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
Honestly, after reading a transcript from the Eddie Trunk interview, I don't think the Canadian comments were bad. He was explaining why they fired Derek over conference call and he was saying how Derek lived in California while the rest of the guys lived in New York, but then he corrected himself and said "well three of us and the Canadian". MP has had a lot of moments with him taking shots at DT, but I don't think that this is one of them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2887 on: September 25, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
Speculating on who hates who is fruitless when you don't have the whole picture. Just sayin'.
You must be new here.

:neverusethis:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2888 on: September 25, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »
Honestly, after reading a transcript from the Eddie Trunk interview, I don't think the Canadian comments were bad. He was explaining why they fired Derek over conference call and he was saying how Derek lived in California while the rest of the guys lived in New York, but then he corrected himself and said "well three of us and the Canadian". MP has had a lot of moments with him taking shots at DT, but I don't think that this is one of them.

Agreed

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2889 on: September 25, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »
I've heard MP more than once refer to JLB as "the Canadian," and I always took it as a friendly jab. Nothing mean-spirited at all.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2890 on: September 25, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
I'm starting to understand, I think, what many peoples expectations were/are for the album. I feel like many were in the earlier DT days type sound.

With MP running the show, I expected nothing less than something in the vein of the last few DT albums he played on which also seem to have a lot of dislike amongst the fan base, but maybe with an even harder edge. Especially with Derek involved.

I guess I'm more surprised than anything else by the reaction. My brain was already thinking Systematic Chaos / Black Clouds type of vibe.

Just spit-balling here.

That makes sense because Chaos and Black Clouds was the direction that MP wanted to go while ADTOE was where JP and Jordan wanted to go. I personally prefer the ADTOE direction but I know many fans liked the direction they were going in.

Ya know, a lot of people say that but there is no real proof that Mike was responsible for that direction.  In fact, in the SC documentary he said he intentionally held back from any sort of plan so they could see where the music went.  I think John was far more responsible than people give him credit (or blame) for.  For the record, SC is one of my two favorite albums along with ADTOE. 

Obviously Mike is responsible for some of the heaviness especially the growl vocals but I think the fact that DT continues to play Dark Eternal Night shows that the rest of the guys were pretty happy with the album. 

Exactly.  John is and has always been the primary writer on DT's albums.  As a result, the albums have always taken on whatever musical vibe he was writing to.  Not that Mike didn't have a lot of input as well or that Jordan didn't compose.  But John has always been the primary composer.

JP is the primary composer but I always got the impression (and this is not based on any actual inside knowledge, just my impression) that Mike kind of steered the band in the direction he felt they should go.  What I'm saying is that (imo) he may not have written all the music but he decided what type of songs they should write. 

I don't think that's the case either.  I don't doubt that he occasionally would say "Let's go for a more Coldplayish song here..." and the band wrote I Walk Beside You or whatever.  JP and JR have always been the main songwriters and I'd also like to point out again in the Systematic Chaos "making of" feature, Mike specifically said he did not steer them in any direction. 

That said, Mike had more to do with things like albums titles and covers.  I don't know for sure but I think he may have also come up with the whole Octavarium "5/8" thing that goes throughout.  Probably was his idea to begin each new album with the sound of the last album (at least 99 - 05).  JP is a quieter guy but when it comes to the music he has some strong views and I think he has a pretty firm idea of where he wants to go with it. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2891 on: September 25, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

I thought the same thing but that was before I read the last few posts about Portnoy and LaBrie disliking each other. I've never heard that before. That's sad to hear.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2892 on: September 25, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »
Seeing some coments here I wondered what I would think. Well , it wasn't that bad. Yes Mike kind of dodges the ball and tries to rewrite history in his favor but I did not think of the Canadian comment as noteworthy at all.

Dereks comments though....
Mike says: We were the two Rock'n Roll personalities in the band.
To which Derek says: We were the only personalities in the band and there was only room for one.

Not only did he take a shot at DT but to me it seems he also took a shot at MP (the only personality left after DS was fired).

Will still listen to the album when it comes out but my view of Derek gets lower everytime I hear him speak.

If being a "personality" means : spitting on his bandmate's amps, wearing panther shirts, having a cauliflower haircut, drinking and taking drugs...I'm glad the other 3 were not "personalities".

Really??? :facepalm: That is just being ignorant to what the man brings on stage. :\

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: September 25, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
Mike: “No, I wasn’t. I wanna go on a record here that I felt bad more than anyone about it, ’cause obviously Derek and I were brothers and we were kind of the rockin’ personalities in the band.”

Derek: “We were the only personalities in the band, what are you talking about? [Chuckles] There was only room for one personality!”

It seems Derek was actually joking with the comment to me

Extracted from: https://metalwani.com/2017/09/derek-sherinian-why-i-was-fired-from-dream-theater.html

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2894 on: September 25, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »

Holy shit, really?

I don't think so. Forget I said it. But he definitely hates James. But you know what? Just recently James was interviewed and was praising Mike's work on Images and Words, AND he referred to him by name, so whether or not James shares disdain for MP, he at least has enough class not to take shots or refer to him as "our ex drummer" or some shit.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2895 on: September 25, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
I don't think so. Forget I said it.

So why say it? God knows I have enough to bitch about when it comes to MP's statements and behaviour... No need to invent more.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2896 on: September 25, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »

Holy shit, really?

I don't think so. Forget I said it. But he definitely hates James. But you know what? Just recently James was interviewed and was praising Mike's work on Images and Words, AND he referred to him by name, so whether or not James shares disdain for MP, he at least has enough class not to take shots or refer to him as "our ex drummer" or some shit.

This.

Also, MP had a few other interviews calling Mangini "their current drummer". I mean, while that's technically true, they both know each other and were supposedly friends. I might be reading too much between the lines, but I think he jsut chooses to call them "their drummer" or "the canadian" because he's too hurt to call them by their real names.

But life's to short to hold grudges, isn't it?...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2897 on: September 25, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
Kindness...it's not that hard.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2898 on: September 25, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »

So why say it? God knows I have enough to bitch about when it comes to MP's statements and behaviour... No need to invent more.

It's what I was feeling at that moment. I can delete that portion of my post, but it's already been quoted.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #2899 on: September 25, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »

He didn't invent that. MP did post that, only it was Facebook - not Twitter.

See his reply to the comment here:

https://www.facebook.com/mikeportnoyofficial/posts/1788293884521579?comment_id=1788330767851224&reply_comment_id=1788342034516764&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2900 on: September 25, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »

He didn't invent that. MP did post that, only it was Facebook - not Twitter.

See his reply to the comment here:

https://www.facebook.com/mikeportnoyofficial/posts/1788293884521579?comment_id=1788330767851224&reply_comment_id=1788342034516764&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Yeah, I fudged the quote, but I did say Facebook. But he's referring to me saying MP has something against Canadians in general. That was a silly thing for me to say, although it wasn't an attempt to stir up shit.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: September 25, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
Now we know the Petruccis were there:

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2902 on: September 25, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »
Really cool photo!I just hope that Mike and Jonh can be good friends :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2903 on: September 26, 2017, 01:54:06 AM »
For all the occasional internet shortcomings he might have, Mike made on FB a very tasteful post about the show and his past in DT, saying only nice things about the band and how grateful he was to relive those memories.

I think too that an eventual reunion, although very unlikely (and Mike himself acknowledges that), would pass through Mangini leaving of his own accord and desire, and JP sitting down with the other DT guys asking "So, guys, what do we do? do you think you can sit down in a room with him and see if it would work again?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: September 26, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
Guys who here has the capability of doing an interview?
There’s a chance to interview Derek Sherinian on Thursday 28th on the last spot.
If you are a reviewer or a journalist or have a blog and have done something like this in the past send me the info requested in the image below and once I get the confirmation from the PR I will let you know.
I would do it on my own but can’t as tonite I am departing with my family to Colombia and I don’t know if I will be completely settled for the 28th.