Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308750 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2730 on: September 21, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
Just putting this here to help clear the air for some people who think some of us are attacking Mike, which we certainly aren't. This is simply to back up why some of us are skeptical - about SoA's commercial success and longevity, the hype, and Mike's tenure with the band. And I do hope Mike reads this so he understands we can still be fans and still voice concerns. After revisiting these articles I feel my hesitation is just... what do you think? I'm genuinely curious to hear others' opinions here. Look how similar some of these statements are to the SoA marketing - the hype, the 'best songs ever,' the 'this is my new home.'

*snip*

Well, to be fair, what should ANY band say? "Well, we'll see how it goes from here"...? "We had a deadline to meet and while 2-3 songs kinda suck, the rest isn't pretty bad"... music history is full of bands said to go along well only to split six months later, and "best albums ever" that interviews of three years later reveal as a studio obligation, or something marred by external problems etc...

Having said that, it's up to any musician I guess to find the best and most honest way to promote their work, and it's up to fans to read between the lines and form an opinion of their own. For sure previous situations have made harder to believe the hype with Mike's projects, but in the end the music will speak for its own.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2731 on: September 21, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »
Just putting this here to help clear the air for some people who think some of us are attacking Mike, which we certainly aren't. This is simply to back up why some of us are skeptical - about SoA's commercial success and longevity, the hype, and Mike's tenure with the band. And I do hope Mike reads this so he understands we can still be fans and still voice concerns. After revisiting these articles I feel my hesitation is just... what do you think? I'm genuinely curious to hear others' opinions here. Look how similar some of these statements are to the SoA marketing - the hype, the 'best songs ever,' the 'this is my new home.'

*snip*

Well, to be fair, what should ANY band say? "Well, we'll see how it goes from here"...? "We had a deadline to meet and while 2-3 songs kinda suck, the rest isn't pretty bad"... music history is full of bands said to go along well only to split six months later, and "best albums ever" that interviews of three years later reveal as a studio obligation, or something marred by external problems etc...

Having said that, it's up to any musician I guess to find the best and most honest way to promote their work, and it's up to fans to read between the lines and form an opinion of their own. For sure previous situations have made harder to believe the hype with Mike's projects, but in the end the music will speak for its own.

Hey, I don't disagree at all, and I understand they have to hype it. But put in context of all the projects Mike's been a part of (and then left for one reason or another after making clear it's the new main gig, y'see) it's just part of the reason I don't believe the Sons hype.

Also some Internet sleuthing shows that Prog Nick is in fact a real person and not Derek Sherinian, lol. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2732 on: September 21, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
The Winery Dogs
"We all have cleared our schedule for the rest of this year to focus on The Winery Dogs, and we plan on doing the same next year," the stickman said. "We plan on riding this cycle - and this band - as far as we could take it. And we all view this as a full-time band; this is not a side project."

After separating Flying Colors, PSMS and Transatlantic as side projects and singling out Winery Dogs as "the band," Portnoy explained further, "I view this as my new home. And the way I was in Dream Theater - that was my home and I did other little things when I could, I view the situation here the same.

"Adrenaline Mob, we gave it our best shot, but this, right from the get-go, it just feels great within the band - the internal chemistry is amazing - and also the external reaction has been just off the charts, unanimously supportive and positive."

I'm not sure what went wrong with Adrenaline Mob but The Winery Dogs didn't turn out to be a full time band because of Kotzen wanting to do his solo stuff.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2733 on: September 21, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »
I think Derek wrote that Progreport review. Here is why. It was written by Prog Nick.

From Nightmare Cinema, here is Derek's name.

Nicky Lemons (Derek Sherinian) - guitar (keyboards)

https://progreport.com/sons-of-apollo-psychotic-symphony-album-review/

I am actually not joking.

You know how I feel about all this, speculation, etc... but having said that, it wouldn't surprise me.   I read that review and I vacillated between "maybe English is a second language" and "someone who works for the record company".   Then I thought, those are some complex words for even someone for whom English is a first language... and some of the syntax was just, odd.   So that kind of left me with the latter.    Either way, from a critique standpoint (I'm talking Roger Ebert, Lester Bangs kind of thing) it's the kind of review that isn't really useful.     

I had a very similar string of thoughts. It almost seemed like parts of it were put through Google translate or something.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2734 on: September 21, 2017, 02:37:24 PM »
i remember Russel Allen commenting on being way happier with MP's replacement drummer not having "rockstar-issues" and actually helping the crew unload etc..

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2735 on: September 21, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
MP is a great drummer, great performer and all the rest of it. But in the age of social media I really don't think he's a good spokesman. He wants to have his cake and eat it; be fully in the public eye, front and center of everything but then throws tantrums when he isn't met with universal praise. There's nothing inherently wrong with being thin skinned but there comes a point when you have to recognise that thin skinned is what you are, and take a step back. I dunno how much of a negative impact his replying to/deleting social media comments will have, but it surely can't have a positive one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: September 21, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
i remember Russel Allen commenting on being way happier with MP's replacement drummer not having "rockstar-issues" and actually helping the crew unload etc..

For smaller bands like Devin Townsend and Haken, I actually witnessed the band members loading/unloading before/after thier sets.  Sometimes you forget that bands that are just trying to make their way, do things like this to save money and to make a tour more cost effective.  I can see how in AMOB (who isn't that big either) would feel the need to have the band members help out in these areas.  I can totally see how that would bother the band members who were putting in that extra effort. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2737 on: September 21, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

When did he say this?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2738 on: September 21, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
Someone posted a pic on FB (I think on the inner circle page) at least an hour after Morsefest of Neal Morse out there vacuuming and helping clean up. It didn't shock me at all. It seems like something a great guy like Neal Morse would do.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2739 on: September 21, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
While I do think Mike acts rashly at times, I have to say this:

I've never known a guy that cares so much about... well, everyone. He's really passionate, and really emotional, to a fault at times. But he's also a very kind and giving person.

I had absolutely no reason to expect him to even remember who I was, but I was surprised that he actually remembered my name - after meeting me 3 times. In 2014 I did the VIP thing for Neal Morse band (btw, if you want to support a band monetarily - this is the absolute best way to do so). And I said "I don't know if you remember me", and he looked me over for a second and said "Of course I do. It's Kim, right?". Blew my mind. And asking him for anything in the recent years has always been met with kindness and accomodation.

Asking him for the interview in April was met with a joke - he had seen the James interview, and noticed that James consistenly called me "Tim". He pointed that out, jokingly saying that I could only interview him if "he could call me Tim". First of all - he saw the interview I did - second of all - he noticed that James called me the wrong name... And I'm not someone who's been in his face or been in this to get them to know -me-, I've always enjoyed being the guy that helped others meet their idols and standing back watching them enjoy it. Mike was the first who -really- showed that he knew me. Now, it's a different story, since I've been in DTs face since I took over the world wide fan club (except for Mangini - who apparently refuses to remember who I am).

So while I do know that Mike can be viewed as abrasive - I also know him from another side. I know he's the real deal. It's not fake when he's passionate. It's not fake when he's emotional and hurt by personal attacks. He's simply a human being who happens to be a well known music artist, but he also knows very well what it is to be a fan, and is very down to earth. That's why I love these guys, all of them. I can have conversations with any of them, and they treat me as thought they're actually interested. It may be fake, it may be a face they put on, but they try to see "the people", not just fans.

Of course, this personal attachment does make it harder for me to do some of my tasks like reviewing albums and such. But at the same time, I know that they all know that it's kinda my job to be honest about my opinions, and they value it..... except for that one time... ;)

As a somewhat frequent critic of the man, I will say that none of this really surprises me.  It reminds me of a lady I worked with a long time ago.  She was, let's say, difficult to get along with, but she had a handful or two of close friends who thought she was the greatest thing, and to them, she was. She would do anything for them, which I saw firsthand (her and I did not care for each other, but several of her close friends were also close friends of mine, so we often tolerated each other), but if you were someone she didn't care for, look out, because she would be aggressively be a raging bitch to you.  It was astonishing to see how someone could be so nice to someone one minute and then flip the switch and be so mean to someone else the next.

So, while there are differences, Mike Portnoy, in some ways, reminds me of her. To the people that are in his corner, Mike Portnoy is the greatest thing ever, and he treats them well, but to those who have that audacity to not back him up 100% on everything, you are crap, and he shows little to no regard for you.  If nothing else, it's fascination to watch.
I would like to challenge this assertion (lots of people making it and I'm not singling you out, just using your example as it was in response to Kim).

Kim/noxon is far from a 100% MP fanboy. I've always found him very balanced and his reviews of DT and other MP-related albums have always had a fair amount of criticism peppered throughout - some more so than others, of course.

I don't believe at all that MP is only interested in blind fanboys, and I think it's quite insulting of so many people to suggest so. His biggest problem when it comes to social media etc. is being incredibly sensitive to certain criticisms, or to criticisms made in certain ways, both of which can cause him to react badly and disproportionately when he perceives them as unfair bashing (when often that's not the case).  His view of DTF is entirely coloured by this, which as others have noted is such a shame as he has a lot of fans here and he's missing a great opportunity.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: September 21, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »
Even in my own criticisms on how MP handles himself in social media, I've always assumed he was a pretty decent dude in person (I've never met him).

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2741 on: September 21, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »

When did he say this?

https://joedaly.net/?p=244

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2742 on: September 21, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »

I've never known a guy that cares so much about... well, everyone. He's really passionate, and really emotional, to a fault at times. But he's also a very kind and giving person.

I had absolutely no reason to expect him to even remember who I was, but I was surprised that he actually remembered my name - after meeting me 3 times. In 2014 I did the VIP thing for Neal Morse band (btw, if you want to support a band monetarily - this is the absolute best way to do so). And I said "I don't know if you remember me", and he looked me over for a second and said "Of course I do. It's Kim, right?". Blew my mind. And asking him for anything in the recent years has always been met with kindness and accomodation.

Asking him for the interview in April was met with a joke - he had seen the James interview, and noticed that James consistenly called me "Tim". He pointed that out, jokingly saying that I could only interview him if "he could call me Tim". First of all - he saw the interview I did - second of all - he noticed that James called me the wrong name... And I'm not someone who's been in his face or been in this to get them to know -me-, I've always enjoyed being the guy that helped others meet their idols and standing back watching them enjoy it. Mike was the first who -really- showed that he knew me. Now, it's a different story, since I've been in DTs face since I took over the world wide fan club (except for Mangini - who apparently refuses to remember who I am).

So while I do know that Mike can be viewed as abrasive - I also know him from another side. I know he's the real deal. It's not fake when he's passionate. It's not fake when he's emotional and hurt by personal attacks. He's simply a human being who happens to be a well known music artist, but he also knows very well what it is to be a fan, and is very down to earth. That's why I love these guys, all of them. I can have conversations with any of them, and they treat me as thought they're actually interested. It may be fake, it may be a face they put on, but they try to see "the people", not just fans.

Of course, this personal attachment does make it harder for me to do some of my tasks like reviewing albums and such. But at the same time, I know that they all know that it's kinda my job to be honest about my opinions, and they value it..... except for that one time... ;)

As a somewhat frequent critic of the man, I will say that none of this really surprises me.  It reminds me of a lady I worked with a long time ago.  She was, let's say, difficult to get along with, but she had a handful or two of close friends who thought she was the greatest thing, and to them, she was. She would do anything for them, which I saw firsthand (her and I did not care for each other, but several of her close friends were also close friends of mine, so we often tolerated each other), but if you were someone she didn't care for, look out, because she would be aggressively be a raging bitch to you.  It was astonishing to see how someone could be so nice to someone one minute and then flip the switch and be so mean to someone else the next.

So, while there are differences, Mike Portnoy, in some ways, reminds me of her. To the people that are in his corner, Mike Portnoy is the greatest thing ever, and he treats them well, but to those who have that audacity to not back him up 100% on everything, you are crap, and he shows little to no regard for you.  If nothing else, it's fascination to watch.

Yeah, this is kind of my interpretation too. He's all about being the "fan friendly artist." Which is sort of an ego trip of its own. He has a certain level of condescension in his approach. People who buy your music, your art, aren't children who need to be treated like you're providing a charity towards. I haven't seen or heard of many fan interactions with him where he actually treated the other person like a normal person, it's always "MP" (his 3rd person references are a start) meeting "his fans," "his kids," or his "haters." Very binary, and very vain. Either you talk about how he "treats his fans" by releasing "official bootlegs" (releasing a product to buy is giving a treat to people who need to be treated?) or you see it all as a bit much, and end up having "Never Enough" written about you.

Add in DS and I genuinely wonder what the impact of this all will be on sales. I mean, if we're being frank, I don't think anyone expects this project to light it up monetarily regardless, but it can't be helping.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2743 on: September 21, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to meet him backstage at shows twice (once after PT and once after a SC tour show) and he seemed super normal/friendly both times.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2744 on: September 21, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »

When did he say this?

Wow. I had no idea AM had a traffic snafu prior to this past year (which why would I? I'm not a fan).

And Russ's comments aren't even thinly veiled.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2745 on: September 21, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »

When did he say this?

I'm very surprised this part from the interview didn't make headlines on blabbermouth

Q: Taking over for Mike Portnoy, A.J. has an unusually bright spotlight on him. With him in the band, how does the dynamic differ from the Portnoy years?

Russel Allen: The dynamic with him is better in some ways… it’s all better, I’ve got to be honest.

Drama aside I'll be getting this album next month, I haven't heard the two tracks that are out and will just listen to the whole album. I think after listening to MP's drumming for some 25 odd years, any album he plays on gets a listen from me regardless of circumstances.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2746 on: September 21, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »

When did he say this?

Okay, but the way you quoted it, it makes it sound like Mike wasn't doing that sort of thing and A.J. does.  But when you read the comment in context of the interview, it doesn't really sound like that is what Russ is saying at all.  I mean, that could be the case.  But his point is that even though A.J. was a HUGE rock star that played these HUGE festivals with TS, he will still be the guy helping the roadies pack the gear.  It didn't really come across as the shot at MP that you imply it is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2747 on: September 21, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
The thing I find sad about this is that we have a 79 page thread for this band and maybe 5 pages consist of discussing the music. The things Mike and Derek are saying are distracting from the music and casting a negative spotlight on the band, even if they don't mean to be doing this intentionally. I wish Mike would take these criticisms and use them as a guideline to change how he handles marketing and social media instead of shutting out anyone who has a negative word to say about him, because I'm pretty sure we all want him to find success.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2748 on: September 21, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »

When did he say this?

Okay, but the way you quoted it, it makes it sound like Mike wasn't doing that sort of thing and A.J. does.  But when you read the comment in context of the interview, it doesn't really sound like that is what Russ is saying at all.  I mean, that could be the case.  But his point is that even though A.J. was a HUGE rock star that played these HUGE festivals with TS, he will still be the guy helping the roadies pack the gear.  It didn't really come across as the shot at MP that you imply it is.

That's how I read it too. Hey wait...I thought everyone here was a Portnoy Hater.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #2749 on: September 21, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
The thing I find sad about this is that we have a 79 page thread for this band and maybe 5 pages consist of discussing the music. The things Mike and Derek are saying are distracting from the music and casting a negative spotlight on the band, even if they don't mean to be doing this intentionally. I wish Mike would take these criticisms and use them as a guideline to change how he handles marketing and social media instead of shutting out anyone who has a negative word to say about him, because I'm pretty sure we all want him to find success.

Yeah I don't know what is going on in his head. He seems to be quite irritated by fans sticking by Dream Theater even if they also liked Yhe Winery Dogs, Flying Colors, etc. I don't know why, plenty of people liked Blizzard of Oz and Heaven and Hell so it shouldn't come as a surprise. (Tons of other examples but I get annoyed writing on my phone)

I really hope he gets some good counseling. He's clearly in need of an emotional tune up. Again I still think he's a mostly good and cool guy but his impulsiveness and insecurities are bringing HIM down.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2750 on: September 21, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
I agree about him seeming like he is decent guy. I try to keep it even about him and his bands. I even bought both Flying Colours and the first Winery Dogs. If he puts out another project I like I would absolutely buy it. I would most likely but Sons of Apollo if it weren't for Derek. I think people would be more sympathetic towards him if he didn't throw a tantrum when people speak against him. He has that old testament God mentality. Praise me, be grateful for what I have done or else I shall banish you and bring down vengeance.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2751 on: September 21, 2017, 05:37:43 PM »
He always comes off better in video interviews imo. When something touchy like DT is brought up (the Neal Morse doc that was posted earlier is a good example) he always seems reasonable and I can empathize with what he's saying.

Some people just don't do as well online. I'd rather not make a character judgement based on his online activities.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2752 on: September 21, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
He always comes off better in video interviews imo. When something touchy like DT is brought up (the Neal Morse doc that was posted earlier is a good example) he always seems reasonable and I can empathize with what he's saying.

Some people just don't do as well online. I'd rather not make a character judgement based on his online activities.

That's a good point. I think he knows he is on camera and has time to breath and think it through, I think with tweets and social media it is knee jerk reactions. Like I said before I do think he is a good guy at heart.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2753 on: September 21, 2017, 06:19:12 PM »

When did he say this?

I dunno, the question was phrased as a direct comparison to MP. Then he responded that everything was better, and expounded upon it by saying those things. Maybe only the first sentence was meant to be a comparison to Portnoy, but it's hard to tell.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2754 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
Someone posted a pic on FB (I think on the inner circle page) at least an hour after Morsefest of Neal Morse out there vacuuming and helping clean up. It didn't shock me at all. It seems like something a great guy like Neal Morse would do.
I remember seeing that too and thinking the same thing. Neal just seems to be such a classy, down to earth guy.

I have often wondered what kind of influence Neal has on Mike as it seems like Mike is a much more subdued person when he's around Neal and I have always felt like Neal is good for Mike. You can see how much these two care about each other. I remember when I got TSoaD and watching the documentary, particularly the part that was posted yesterday on here where they were disagreeing about it being a double album. I had heard about this before I watched the documementary, but man it was very hard to watch. You could just see how it killed both of them and I'm so glad that they worked it out. I think Neal is the only one that could have had an impact on Mike like that to the point where he changed his mind. I wonder what Neal thinks about some of the things Mike does and if he ever talks to him about it or if he just stays out of it. I certainly don't think Mike is a bad person, I think sometimes he just acts too fast and acts with his heart when he should just take a step back and let some things go.

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #2755 on: September 21, 2017, 11:59:38 PM »
Just watched the Coming Home video on Youtube again and I can't stop wondering about Bumblefoot playing riffs that we can't hear (at least I can't). Is it possible that this is not the final mix we're hearing, and that on album release it may sound different?

If I remember correctly that has been the case on the first AMob releases, right?

It wouldn't bug me if I only HEARD the song (I like it), but SEEING him play something I am unable to hear makes me think I'm missing something...

I think it probably is the final mix. I mean this album drops in less than a month, right? It should definitely be mixed and mastered by now and going into production to stock retail with the physical  release.

I think the struggle to hear the guitar riffs comes from (1) the overly distorted kinda treble-like qualities of the bass guitar and (2) Derek's distorted key tones. When they riff on that main groove in the song, it sounds like all three guys are down in that similar register (with the bass down the octave) and the guitar gets washed out a bit. Add into that the drums being pretty darn loud in the mix and I think the guitar just got pushed back in the mix.

You're probably right, I forgot it's only a few weeks until album release.

That brings me to another question, though: Disc 2 of the 2CD version will contain instrumentals of the songs - How are they usually done? Is it the exact same mix with just the vocals "switched off" or are they different mixes?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2756 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:47 AM »
Usually? Same mix with the vocal tracks muted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #2757 on: September 22, 2017, 12:08:42 AM »
Thought so, too, listening to the few albums I have that contain instrumental versions... Oh well. Still a chance of hearing a lot more of Bumblefoot's playing on the as of yet unreleased tracks.  :metal
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:32:46 AM by PepeLePew »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2758 on: September 22, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
Yea, SC and BCSL are two of my least fav DT albums, so that comparison doesn't make me too excited.
Same here, hence I'm not too sold on the album (yet).
Is it ITPOE and TCOT like or Constant Motion and Rite of Passage like?
Given that there are no extended quiet sections like Beautiful Agony or Heretic, I guess the answer is CM/AROP by default. :P The "balls to the wall" metal vibe (no ballads), the overall song structures and the numerous technical/wanky bits just make me think MP was still in that modern DT mindset during the making process.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: September 22, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2760 on: September 22, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »
A MP tweet I fully support: https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/911019066785255424  :metal

Make sure you wear a ADTOE shirt!!

I kid, I kid. Have a great time. I wish I could see this show. Hope Mike changes his mind somewhere along the way and he could eventually release a full show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2761 on: September 22, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
Yea, SC and BCSL are two of my least fav DT albums, so that comparison doesn't make me too excited.
Same here, hence I'm not too sold on the album (yet).
Is it ITPOE and TCOT like or Constant Motion and Rite of Passage like?
Given that there are no extended quiet sections like Beautiful Agony or Heretic, I guess the answer is CM/AROP by default. :P The "balls to the wall" metal vibe (no ballads), the overall song structures and the numerous technical/wanky bits just make me think MP was still in that modern DT mindset during the making process.

I'm okay with an album that sounds "like" Constant Motion/A Rite of Passage.  Constant Motion is a great metal song.  AROP is a bit...less great, but its flaws are specific, and I have no problem with the overall feel or vibe of the song whatsoever.  So if Psychotic Symphony is in the vibe of those two songs, that's perfectly fine with me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2762 on: September 22, 2017, 08:00:07 AM »
A MP tweet I fully support: https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/911019066785255424  :metal

That is one ugly dude.   :)  :)  :) 

I'll be there with you.  I think it's going to be a good show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2763 on: September 22, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »

Yeah, this is kind of my interpretation too. He's all about being the "fan friendly artist." Which is sort of an ego trip of its own. He has a certain level of condescension in his approach. People who buy your music, your art, aren't children who need to be treated like you're providing a charity towards. I haven't seen or heard of many fan interactions with him where he actually treated the other person like a normal person, it's always "MP" (his 3rd person references are a start) meeting "his fans," "his kids," or his "haters." Very binary, and very vain. Either you talk about how he "treats his fans" by releasing "official bootlegs" (releasing a product to buy is giving a treat to people who need to be treated?) or you see it all as a bit much, and end up having "Never Enough" written about you.

Add in DS and I genuinely wonder what the impact of this all will be on sales. I mean, if we're being frank, I don't think anyone expects this project to light it up monetarily regardless, but it can't be helping.

Given that we aren't talking about Taylor Swift numbers to begin with, I think it will have a negligible effect on net sales.    They're going to do 50K to 100K regardless of what Derek tweets or doesn't tweet.   Granted there will be a few people for whom "Derek's a douche, I'm not buying THIS now!", but there will also be those that say "HUH.  Who's this Derek Kardashian dude?   Prog kings, eh?   No cheese, eh?  I'll give this a listen."   

The one time I met him - and Neal was present, for what that's worth - he looked tired, but was extremely "present", took time with every fan without it being a "rock star moment", and was engaging.   He was nothing like the raving egomaniac who "needs counseling".   Then again, it wasn't the forum for that.  Who knows?  Can you really know ANYONE without seeing them in all facets of their life?

As for doing loadouts...  I have seen Brett Eldredge four times now (rising country star; bigger act than either AMob or Neal Morse; as a headliner, would probably play the same venues as Dream Theater, maybe a little bigger) and every time, his band came out and set up their own rigs, checked their own levels, etc.  Really kind of refreshing if you ask me.   

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2764 on: September 22, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »

That is one ugly dude.   :)  :)  :) 

I'll be there with you.  I think it's going to be a good show.

Enjoy both of you.... it's a hell of a show. Saw it this summer and it was a total blast!!!