Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 311159 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1365 on: August 25, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
I don't know much about the legitimacy about Mike's drama toward DT or anything.

What I do know is that Mike, for good or for bad ( I tend to think more for good ) is himself, always, out on his sleeve in everything he does. I love that quality.

Now, I don't know much about divorce either. Hopefully I'll never have to, but I do know people who are divorced. I know that with MP and DT, lawyers are involved. I know that I've read much time passed where direct communication didn't happen, however lawyers still did their thing.

What I'm saying is, it's a lot easier for people in a group, who go the "winning" end of a stick, to let their lawyer rebuke comments or things like that, and to do all the talking through their lawyer than it is for the lone guy, who when he speaks, has to be rebuked by, his former friends ( current friends ?), lawyers.

I dunno if Mike gets "out of line". I dunno if I'd consider it that. But I don't know the extent of the types of communications that's been had, lawyers and people speaking through lawyers have habits of taking their own kind of jabs. There may be more there, or maybe what we all know is all that there is to know ( though I doubt it )

It's hard for me to read a comment Mike may have made that one may consider to be low, or a dig, or disrespectful and not think "Ya know, I don't know the whole story, and I never will"

Either way, even if the dude kept his trap shut, which would be sad considering his personality and why most of us who love the guy, love the guy, I have a hard time thinking many people's reactions would have been much different. It's human nature to take sides. Which, is also, mostly a good thing.

I so far love the SOA, and I think he was smart for waiting, though I think it's sad him waiting is considered to be the smart move.

While I don't agree with your reasoning or mindset, that is a very good, well-tempered, and non-confrontational way of expressing that opinion.

-hug-

:lol Love the quote from.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1366 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »
So no disrespect to Next To None, but the fact that we can almost expect them to open for SOA when they tour NA is really disappointing.

'SOA' is the abbreviation for 'STD' in my language.

someone said that to Derek on his FB, he asked what it meant so i answered, since the OP didn't reply. His reponse: "Meh"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1367 on: August 25, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
So no disrespect to Next To None, but the fact that we can almost expect them to open for SOA when they tour NA is really disappointing.

Yes, I would be on Next to None opening. I don't blame him, it's great he is trying to help his son out.

Yeah, I could care less. I'm past the point in my life where I care about the opening acts. I may check them out in advance and show up early enough if I like them, but otherwise, I'm usually content to show up way after the fact these days.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1368 on: August 25, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
-Is there a tour planned?
They will tour, Mike confirmed it after the TSF show in Paris.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1369 on: August 25, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »

Yes, I would be on Next to None opening. I don't blame him, it's great he is trying to help his son out.

Yeah, I could care less. I'm past the point in my life where I care about the opening acts. I may check them out in advance and show up early enough if I like them, but otherwise, I'm usually content to show up way after the fact these days.

I'd just love to hear some obscure prog band which I've never heard of open. Just for my own personal exposure. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1370 on: August 25, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »

I am with you, however I think Apollo will most likely play places where it is GA and would have to go there early to get a good spot. I truly doubt I am going to the show anyhow based on the 1st song. It's not bad, just not enough to get me out. Even this DT tour with Images and Words. I love DT but since seeing them since 1995 I feel like I have seen them play those songs so many times. For that reason, I loved the Astonishing show. ALL new material.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1371 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
Jeez are we still talking about this? SoA need to release some more music.

Perhaps that was our secret plan all along *evil laughter*
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1372 on: August 25, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
I'm planning to ask him if they have an idea of the tracks played live and if they will include covers (of course we all want to know if they're going to play some DT, I'm convinced they will not but who knows...).
I'd be curious to hear the answer as well (although he will probably somewhat dodge the question so as not to give the tour away).  Part of me feels that they will not because (1) Mike said in connection with TSF that he would not play DT anymore outside of that (I don't necessarily expect him to hold to that forever); and (2) With 5 guys involved in so many projects, where do you draw the line in terms of how much "outside" material you play?  But the other part of me feels they will because (1) it is such a big part of Mike's and Derek's past, and (2) That's just the kind of thing Mike does on tours; with Flying Colors, for example, they did songs from the guys' other bands.  So I dunno.

I think there is no doubt they will cover DT songs. I don't recall him saying he wont play DT songs anymore or just a whole show of DT. If he did he can just say he wasn't planning on it but he is doing it "for the fans"

I think he hinted that they will play falling into Infinity songs. The no more DT Rule was more in regards to not playing any Dream Theater exclusive shows.

I do have a question for Derek about that though. Will they consider playing a slower number like Anna Lee?

You don't need to add this post commentary to the question but even though I'm not planning on seeing the band or really supporting it in anyway unless the next couple tracks released are really outstanding, if I hear they're playing Anna Lee in the set I will probably drive 3 hours to see them.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1373 on: August 25, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
I'm planning to ask him if they have an idea of the tracks played live and if they will include covers (of course we all want to know if they're going to play some DT, I'm convinced they will not but who knows...).
I'd be curious to hear the answer as well (although he will probably somewhat dodge the question so as not to give the tour away).  Part of me feels that they will not because (1) Mike said in connection with TSF that he would not play DT anymore outside of that (I don't necessarily expect him to hold to that forever); and (2) With 5 guys involved in so many projects, where do you draw the line in terms of how much "outside" material you play?  But the other part of me feels they will because (1) it is such a big part of Mike's and Derek's past, and (2) That's just the kind of thing Mike does on tours; with Flying Colors, for example, they did songs from the guys' other bands.  So I dunno.

I think there is no doubt they will cover DT songs. I don't recall him saying he wont play DT songs anymore or just a whole show of DT. If he did he can just say he wasn't planning on it but he is doing it "for the fans"

I think he hinted that they will play falling into Infinity songs. The no more DT Rule was more in regards to not playing any Dream Theater exclusive shows.

I do have a question for Derek about that though. Will they consider playing a slower number like Anna Lee?

You don't need to add this post commentary to the question but even though I'm not planning on seeing the band or really supporting it in anyway unless the next couple tracks released are really outstanding, if I hear they're playing Anna Lee in the set I will probably drive 3 hours to see them.

I think they played it with PSMS on Prog Nation at sea IIRC, so it's possible. I don't think JSS has the vocal range to do it, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1374 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:20 PM »
I think that Soto would be awesome on Lines in the Sand.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1375 on: August 25, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »

I think they played it with PSMS on Prog Nation at sea IIRC, so it's possible. I don't think JSS has the vocal range to do it, though.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.  I was not a fan of that vocalist. Maybe you're right that JSS doesnt have the range but I bet he could still give a better performance than that other guy. 

I also forgot about the amazing performance of Burning My Soul with Devin Townsend that ad libbed through the whole song and admitted he never really learned it. 

My favorite part was this verse.  Here's the transcription:

I say it's green
Then you sir, say it's red
Wait...what the next line
Keep your thoughts and ideas locked in your head you dick!
We've got someone who can sing for me instead, thank god
And he sounds just like James LaBrie!

You can watch here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKKI233rHE

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: August 25, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »

Bumblefoot's fretless neck would sound great for the Anna Lee solo.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1377 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »

Didn't think of that.  Wow, that would be great to hear. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1378 on: August 25, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »

Didn't think of that.  Wow, that would be great to hear.

:hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1379 on: August 25, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Imagine if Dream Theater plays Anna Lee on the American leg of the current tour... :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1380 on: August 25, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
I'm waiting for the obligatory "I always wanted to play it, but no one else did" tweet.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1381 on: August 25, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot about that.  I was not a fan of that vocalist. Maybe you're right that JSS doesnt have the range but I bet he could still give a better performance than that other guy. 

I also forgot about the amazing performance of Burning My Soul with Devin Townsend that ad libbed through the whole song and admitted he never really learned it. 

My favorite part was this verse.  Here's the transcription:

I say it's green
Then you sir, say it's red
Wait...what the next line
Keep your thoughts and ideas locked in your head you dick!
We've got someone who can sing for me instead, thank god
And he sounds just like James LaBrie!

You can watch here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKKI233rHE

Ha ha this was great  ;D Almost too great for me to believe that it wasn't part of the show.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1382 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:43 PM »
What I do know is that Mike, for good or for bad ( I tend to think more for good ) is himself, always, out on his sleeve in everything he does. I love that quality.

What this bullshit philosophy boils down to is "I'll say and do whatever I want and if you don't like it that's *your* problem."

It's easy to be "real" or "wear your heart on your sleeve" or "do what you want" or "just being honest" or "just being myself" and not give a shit about what people think.  IT'S EASY AS FUCK to just do what you want whenever you want.  It doesn't take "balls" or "bravery".  It's EASY to do this and not give a shit.

What *does* take balls is to know when to hold back and when to let it go and when to let everything hang out.  What takes REAL bravery and thought is to understand the CONTEXT of what's going on.

Any asshole can say what they want and make claims like they're just being honest and that's just a weak-assed cop-out excuse to behave like a complete douche.  It takes a *real* person to know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:34:27 PM by PetFish »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:26 PM »
Well. That was a judicious self-edit, PetFish. And probably a good idea :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1384 on: August 26, 2017, 12:53:37 AM »
Well. That was a judicious self-edit, PetFish. And probably a good idea :lol

Yeah, as much as I want to really say that I took my own advice and didn't.    ::)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1385 on: August 26, 2017, 03:02:43 AM »
I stuck up for him on the last go round and it was BRUTAL.

Have you considered that not everything he is done is with sticking up for? It's an honest question. Often times it feels like you are doing it partially for the edgy look of going counter to everyone else. I have been very supportive of Mike's music, and have even tried multiple times in threads like Shattered Fortress to pull discussion away from the other crap back to the music. But why, when something like this happens would you go out of your way defend it?

This. Stadler, I usually try to be pretty fair with MP (Nick is extremely fair and mostly positive with MP) but he (MP) basically dismissed and insulted a community you are apart of very directly. Not sure why you are cool with that...?

Do I say I'm "Stadler"?  Do I shut my mouth?  Is it okay to bring "Images and Words" to be signed?
All I can tell you is, whatever you do don't wear a ADTOE shirt.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: August 26, 2017, 05:35:10 AM »
Imagine if Dream Theater plays Anna Lee on the American leg of the current tour... :lol :lol

I've been hoping they'd play it for so long too  :lol

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #1387 on: August 26, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
Mike's got a bad attitude, but he's not wrong about the music bubble. 

When I click on the music subforum here and see the bands with threads on the first page, I do tend to think to myself "huh... you'd think people stopped making good music 20 years ago"

Well, I don't think that's the case at all. This forum has always had a healthy discussion of current bands and current music. Sure, there are many bands out there that happen to be forum favorites and that also are well-established band with long careers. There are indeed many theads that focus on those bands, I will give you that. Still, I never saw the forum turn a blind eye on more current music (and I've around-- though mainly as lurker-- since 2001 and the days of the old dreamtheater.net forums).

Plus, it's not like MP's own forum is radically different from DTF in that regard (i.e.- musical diversity/keeping up with current trends and styles).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1388 on: August 26, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »
Mike's got a bad attitude, but he's not wrong about the music bubble. 

When I click on the music subforum here and see the bands with threads on the first page, I do tend to think to myself "huh... you'd think people stopped making good music 20 years ago"

Well, I don't think that's the case at all. This forum has always had a healthy discussion of current bands and current music. Sure, there are many bands out there that happen to be forum favorites and that also are well-established band with long careers. There are indeed many theads that focus on those bands, I will give you that. Still, I never saw the forum turn a blind eye on more current music (and I've around-- though mainly as lurker-- since 2001 and the days of the old dreamtheater.net forums).

Plus, it's not like MP's own forum is radically different from DTF in that regard (i.e.- musical diversity/keeping up with current trends and styles).

I concur.  I don't think that's the case at all.  If you currently look at the first page, alone, we got some pretty good discussions of pretty good acclaimed (by all kinds of rock communities) modern bands like Trivium, Ghost, Mastodon.  Also, there are bands like Periphery, Gojira, Alter Bridge, etc. that gets good discussion here.  Yeah, DTF is definitely a good place to talk about bands from classics to metal to modern.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1389 on: August 26, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
This place is great for this old fart to find new music!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1390 on: August 26, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »

What this bullshit philosophy boils down to is "I'll say and do whatever I want and if you don't like it that's *your* problem."

It's easy to be "real" or "wear your heart on your sleeve" or "do what you want" or "just being honest" or "just being myself" and not give a shit about what people think.  IT'S EASY AS FUCK to just do what you want whenever you want.  It doesn't take "balls" or "bravery".  It's EASY to do this and not give a shit.

What *does* take balls is to know when to hold back and when to let it go and when to let everything hang out.  What takes REAL bravery and thought is to understand the CONTEXT of what's going on.

Any asshole can say what they want and make claims like they're just being honest and that's just a weak-assed cop-out excuse to behave like a complete douche.  It takes a *real* person to know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em.

*claps*

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

I agree with this! Half of the bands/artists on the first page of this subforum I've barely heard of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1392 on: August 26, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »

*claps*

Bill1971 retweets

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1393 on: August 26, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »

I agree with this! Half of the bands/artists on the first page of this subforum I've barely heard of.

No offense, but the list of the bands on the front page could have existed pretty much as-is in 2005 with few exceptions.

Mike Portnoy (consistently in the top 5)
Rush
Leprous
Steven Wilson
Genesis
Queensryche
Iron Maiden
Neal Morse
Issa
Anathema
Mastodon
Iron Maiden (again)
In Flames
Fates Warning
Arch Enemy
Marillion
Ghost
Pvris
Jelly Jam
Transatlantic
Circus Maximus
Adrenaline Mob
Metallica
Muse
Foo Fighters
Brand New
Savatage
Galactic Cowboys

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1394 on: August 26, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
Hey, the Issa thread is being misrepresented here. We talk about new bands all the time. Granted, we rip em to bits pretty much, but we talk about them! 😀

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1395 on: August 26, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
Skeever, you really don't pay attention much.  You take one moment on DTF to try and make your point.  Besides, the section is a music section.  That encompasses all genres and eras.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:23:19 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1396 on: August 26, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »

99 times out of 100 I'd agree with you; there is nothing that gets under my skin more than people like Eddie Trunk who say "I'm just being honest here, Kiss without the original members sucks."   That's not being "honest".   There's nothing "honest" in just spewing your opinions.   I also bristle at "bravery"; it's not "brave" to say "I think Gene Simmons is a money hungry whore".  "Bravery" is walking out of a Higgins boat on June 6, 1944 into five feet of water while 10,000 German soldiers are trying to shoot you with semi-automatic weapons (and, for the most part, succeeding), knowing that the odds of you hitting shore are less than getting a base hit in baseball.    But I don't think any of that applies here.  I think it's different when you talk about emotions.   Your post just slagged anyone who cried at a movie, or something like that.  We celebrate raw emotion all the time.   Look at all the "raw emotion" that is in the headlines every single day in response to Trump.  We're "terrified!".  We're "this".  We're "that".   Art, music, creativity is inherently emotional.  (That's why the "work" is not a good analogy; you check your emotions at the door, and don't at your peril, but it's your choice.)   Unless you're an Yngwie or Petrucci fan (those are very much jokes; I don't think either one is an "unemotional player") you are into music for the feeling it gives you, not the "factual accuracy" of it.   

Again, I wouldn't use "bravery", but it takes a certain courage to put your emotions out there, be it in music, or otherwise, and let them fester in the cold light of day.   I didn't do that for the longest time, and I suffered for it.  Intellectually, emotionally, even physically.   I've been able to incorporate more of that into my life - I call it "living authentically" - and I have a deep respect for people that can do that.   It's not an easy thing to do. 

I would also say, it's funny how subjective we are when it comes to this.  We - well, many of us - love Fish and Steven Wilson when they "put it out there", but when Mike does it?   Not so much. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1397 on: August 26, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
Hey, the Issa thread is being misrepresented here. We talk about new bands all the time. Granted, we rip em to bits pretty much, but we talk about them! 😀

For those that have seen the Issa thread, but have never actually gone in, this is what it looks like on the inside:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1398 on: August 26, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »

99 times out of 100 I'd agree with you; there is nothing that gets under my skin more than people like Eddie Trunk who say "I'm just being honest here, Kiss without the original members sucks."   That's not being "honest".   There's nothing "honest" in just spewing your opinions.   I also bristle at "bravery"; it's not "brave" to say "I think Gene Simmons is a money hungry whore".  "Bravery" is walking out of a Higgins boat on June 6, 1944 into five feet of water while 10,000 German soldiers are trying to shoot you with semi-automatic weapons (and, for the most part, succeeding), knowing that the odds of you hitting shore are less than getting a base hit in baseball.    But I don't think any of that applies here.  I think it's different when you talk about emotions.   Your post just slagged anyone who cried at a movie, or something like that.  We celebrate raw emotion all the time.   Look at all the "raw emotion" that is in the headlines every single day in response to Trump.  We're "terrified!".  We're "this".  We're "that".   Art, music, creativity is inherently emotional.  (That's why the "work" is not a good analogy; you check your emotions at the door, and don't at your peril, but it's your choice.)   Unless you're an Yngwie or Petrucci fan (those are very much jokes; I don't think either one is an "unemotional player") you are into music for the feeling it gives you, not the "factual accuracy" of it.   

Again, I wouldn't use "bravery", but it takes a certain courage to put your emotions out there, be it in music, or otherwise, and let them fester in the cold light of day.   I didn't do that for the longest time, and I suffered for it.  Intellectually, emotionally, even physically.   I've been able to incorporate more of that into my life - I call it "living authentically" - and I have a deep respect for people that can do that.   It's not an easy thing to do. 

I would also say, it's funny how subjective we are when it comes to this.  We - well, many of us - love Fish and Steven Wilson when they "put it out there", but when Mike does it?   Not so much. 

Do you have examples of people giving Fish or Steven Wilson a pass when they say douchey things?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1399 on: August 26, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »
This thread is the very reason DTF is still a thing. lols.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing