Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308191 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1190 on: August 16, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
I think keyboard players get a bad rap.  Guitarists keep the same sound, more or less, with minor modifications.  People don't have a problem with it because, I'm assuming, guitars are just supposed to sound that way. 

Keyboardist are expected to change because they can load 5 billion different patches.  I too think keyboardists should switch it up but if they have a great go to sound like Derek does, then I think its great, especially if it's a signature of theirs.

I've always felt this way.

Every guitar player can be identified by their unique tone but when a keyboard player has their own somehow it's not cool and I don't understand that.
I'm on the fence with this.

On one hand, yeah, it's weird that we don't demand versatility in sound from guitarists, bassists, drummers, but we do when it comes to keyboardists.

On the other hand, just listen to old-school Deep Purple. Jon Lord had such wide variety of sounds, and he was basically "just" using a Hammond organ. Case in point: "In Rock". There are no two songs on this album in which the organ sounds even remotely similar (compare the delicate softness of Speed King or Child in Time with the raw, heavy sound he had on Black Night or Hard Lovin' Man). He achieved all that variety by messing around with the drawbar/percussion settings and switching between Leslie and Marshall speakers. That's it.     

These days, with the overabundance of technology and equipment, it's not unreasonable to expect more variety. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1191 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
Okay, but...Derek does employ a lot of variety in his playing.  Even without going outside of what we have heard and looking at his discography as a whole, in this particular song, there are a ton of keyboard sounds.  But the only one people are mentioning is his lead sound he uses during the solo.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1192 on: August 16, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »
Okay, but...Derek does employ a lot of variety in his playing.  Even without going outside of what we have heard and looking at his discography as a whole, in this particular song, there are a ton of keyboard sounds.  But the only one people are mentioning is his lead sound he uses during the solo.

And we don't have a go at guitarists for having a signature sound. In fact it's pretty much a great thing. Remember when you could tell the player by his tone? Yeah, I miss that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1193 on: August 16, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »

But he more or less uses the same variety of sounds a guitar player would be putting a few effects on his sound here or there.  Meaning a guitar player will play clean, or with distortion, or with a wah, or with a flanger effect.  Sherinian probably uses more than the average guitar player but less than that cyborg Jordan Rudess.  I've already said that Jordan might use TOO many sounds so I don't say that to criticize Sherinian. 

I did notice in the new Songs of Apollo song, it sounded like he was using something similar to Jordan's "roaring lion" sound which he uses a lot of times to double the guitar when a distinct keyboard sound isn't appropriate for that particular section.  I don't know if Derek ever used a patch similar to that while he was in the band. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1194 on: August 16, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
I hear a lot of more "traditional" ambient keyboard sounds going on in the background.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1195 on: August 16, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
Zakk Wylde is playing with Ozzy again. If he is involved with the next Ozzy record, will people throw a fit because he still sounds like Zakk?

No.

So I don't see the issue in Derek's lead sound sounding like it always does. *shrug*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1196 on: August 16, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »
Zakk Wylde is playing with Ozzy again. If he is involved with the next Ozzy record, will people throw a fit because he still sounds like Zakk?

No.

So I don't see the issue in Derek's lead sound sounding like it always does. *shrug*

Actually yeah because Zakk has the most terrible guitar tone in metal.  I mean, I won't really complain because thats why I haven't listened to anything the two of them have done since the late 90s. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1197 on: August 16, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »
But are people complaining that Derek's lead tone is "terrible"? Or that it is the same tone he's used since the 90s?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1198 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
Actually yeah because Zakk has the most terrible guitar tone in metal.  I mean, I won't really complain because thats why I haven't listened to anything the two of them have done since the late 90s.

I'll still take Zakk's terrible tone over Petrucci's on the latest two records. What happened John?  :sadpanda:

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1199 on: August 17, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »
...Why "beat" DT?? You were kicked out, I get the bitterness...
Mike Portnoy was not in any way "kicked out" of Dream Theater. He left on his own accord and then publicly cried about it for seven years. That is what happened.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: August 17, 2017, 01:33:29 AM »
Mike Portnoy was not in any way "kicked out" of Dream Theater. He left on his own accord and then publicly cried about it for seven years. That is what happened.

True, but in fairness Derek Sherinian was kicked out from DT largely becuse of Mike Portnoy's wishes

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1201 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:15 AM »

No.

I think Uli Jon Roth has a terrible guitar sound... Without knowing Zakk very well, I can't imagine him having a worse git sound than UJR :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1202 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:50 AM »
Y'all are so sensitive, I swear. This stuff is fun! It's rock and roll, nothing wrong with a little edge and competitive fire. Why NOT be extremely confident?
Seriously, this.

Don't get me wrong, there is horrible, abusive stuff on Twitter and other places that is wrong and should never be written off as just online banter. But this? This is genuinely harmless and people are being ridiculous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1203 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37:34 AM »

True, but in fairness Derek Sherinian was kicked out from DT largely becuse of Mike Portnoy's wishes
Oh, my bad. Obviously bill1971 was talking about Derek, not MP. Thanks for pointing that out.  :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1204 on: August 22, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Just saw this link and thought it would be worth posting. It's a clip interviewing all 5 guys, how they came together and worked out the style of the band. Looking forward to hearing the album!

https://www.guitarworld.com/artist-news/mike-portnoy-bumblefoot-billy-sheehan-discuss-sons-apollo-exclusive-interview/31623#.WZxB7itNcdc.facebook
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1205 on: August 22, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
Already very happy for the guys! I'm wishing commercial sucess to allow them to make this band a real priority :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1206 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
There is also music on the background we haven't heard yet, looking forward to this one!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1207 on: August 23, 2017, 12:58:52 AM »
I don't know whether this was known before, but the album is available for pre-order on iTunes and thus you can see all the track lengths:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/psychotic-symphony/id1267878801
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1208 on: August 23, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
https://youtu.be/I4B9hQX9lEY

"Introduction video Pt I"

Them chatting about how they got together etc.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1209 on: August 23, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
MP around an hour ago on his forum:

DTF?? That's still a "thing"???
Hahahaha worse trolls than Blabbermouth over there...   

Life is so much better without reading their negativity every day...
And the music world is soooooo much bigger than the silly little bubble they all seem to live in...
Their loss!   

I guess he can't help himself

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
 :lol

how is a discussion forum with people around the world a bubble?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: August 23, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
MP is always good to bring on the lolz

I like to believe he secretly reads these threads

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: August 23, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
MP is always good to bring on the lolz

I like to believe he secretly reads these threads

I very much believe he does

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1213 on: August 23, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
https://youtu.be/I4B9hQX9lEY

"Introduction video Pt I"

Them chatting about how they got together etc.

"Writing in the Studio"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1214 on: August 23, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »

And the music world is soooooo much bigger than the silly little bubble they all seem to live in...
Their loss!   

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now I'm waiting for some of Mike's blind followers to comment on this and try to explain to us how he's not saying anything wrong and that we're overreacting on everything he says :corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1215 on: August 23, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
I totally 100% agree with MP on this one.

The Donald Trump Forum is horrible and filled with trolls.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: August 23, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »

:rollin

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1217 on: August 23, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
Actually it's kinda funny. Most of the comments are defending DTF and pointing out that most of us are optimistic and excited about MP projects, just get tired of the SoA vs DT and other drama. So that kinda backfired on him
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1218 on: August 23, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »

Their loss!   

FFS. I just don't know what to say anymore.

I give Mike a lot of credit on a lot of things and try not to harp on the negative aspects, but shit like this just makes it difficult.

Edit: Not to mention than this forum that's "still a thing?" is more active in most if not all common metrics than his forum currently is.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: August 23, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »

:lol or maybe he meant Down To Fuck?  Like the Jersey Shore apparently has a reunion show now, he may have not realized that's still a thing anymore like most others.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1220 on: August 23, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
Actually it's kinda funny. Most of the comments are defending DTF and pointing out that most of us are optimistic and excited about MP projects, just get tired of the SoA vs DT and other drama. So that kinda backfired on him

Yes, that is what I have been focusing on there.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1221 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »

Their loss!   

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now I'm waiting for some of Mike's blind followers to comment on this and try to explain to us how he's not saying anything wrong and that we're overreacting on everything he says :corn

I'm waiting for some of his blind followers to tell him he's being too sensitive. 

Afterall, it's rock n' roll!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1222 on: August 23, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
Wow, that's a shame. I tried to sign onto MP's forum, but it's been so long, it doesn't seem like my password works.

I just can't think of a more insulting thing. And shameful. Did I say that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1223 on: August 23, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
All kidding aside, I think this is why we will never see Mike Portnoy back in Dream Theater.  He says he is friends with three of the members but I can't see that as anything more than them trying to keep the peace.  While Petrucci doesn't keep up with the online musings of people like us, I doubt he is totally oblivious to Mike's outbursts like this one.  I doubt it's worth the temporary bump in ticket sales to deal with this not to mention the inner workings of the band. 

Oh and I'm sure Portnoy doesn't read DTF like Trump doesn't watch MSNBC.   :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1224 on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
All kidding aside, I think this is why we will never see Mike Portnoy back in Dream Theater.

Amen to that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."