Author Topic: XTC  (Read 2654 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: XTC
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »
I don't have the original albums, so I'm getting them all on physical format as they are getting the 5.1 releases. Hopefully we'll get another one soon (Black Sea was released last year).

I know a lot of fans are clamoring for English Settlement, which hasn't been done due to the master tapes not being found yet, but that record sounds so good that I cannot imagine it being improved.  The same applies to Black Sea, to be honest.

The original Oranges and Lemons had the same issue as Skylarking (not much bottom end, very thin-sounding), so I am anxious to also get that one and hear the improvements. 

Apple Venus in 5.1 would be pretty sweet.  River of Orchids in surround sound would be most awesome.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
bump.

anyone ever heard Colin Moulding's band TC&I? I wasn't aware of it, but some of this sounds very much where XTC left off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkh_0ejs12Y

also Colin among some other prog-names appeared on Days Between Stations last album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar6E9t5IYeg

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
I heard tidbits of TC&I and it sounded okay, but my interest level was pretty low.  Now, if you tell me that Andy Partridge has something cooking, then I will perk up.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 10:38:56 PM »
This band is sick.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 11:57:48 PM »
I heard tidbits of TC&I and it sounded okay, but my interest level was pretty low.  Now, if you tell me that Andy Partridge has something cooking, then I will perk up.

He has a new EP coming up in a few weeks, a collaboration with Robyn Hitchcock.

This band is sick.

Oh yes!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 05:30:45 AM »
I’ve used Making Plans for Nigel in roulettes and it tanked both times. Perhaps I should have used a different track, but damn, Drums and Wires is fantastic. Not familiar with English settlement but I hear it’s great.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 07:09:49 AM »
I’ve used Making Plans for Nigel in roulettes and it tanked both times. Perhaps I should have used a different track, but damn, Drums and Wires is fantastic. Not familiar with English settlement but I hear it’s great.

English Settlement is my #2 of theirs, topped only by the incredible Skylarking. Drums & Wires is awesome too, the start of their "classic" period.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »
I've come around to sorta liking Making Plans for Nigel, but unless someone is already a big punk fan, I think it's a terrible song to give to someone who has never heard XTC.  I would have ran the other way if I had heard that one first.

To me, you cannot go wrong with Black Sea, English Settlement (which could have lost a song or two in the middle), Apple Venus and the two Dukes records.

And while I wouldn't recommend it to someone new, I've really come around on The Big Express.  It's dirty...it's grimy...it's really good.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »
bump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TntNxv8wFR4

WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT?

XTC - Mayor of Simpleton

including with Guest Tim Smith of JELLYFISH (WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT? Jellyfish - New Mistake coming?)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
bump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TntNxv8wFR4

WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT?

XTC - Mayor of Simpleton

including with Guest Tim Smith of JELLYFISH (WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT? Jellyfish - New Mistake coming?)

That was great to watch.  I was grinning like a fanboy the whole time.  Such a great song, such a great band. :coolio :hat