Author Topic: Are you afraid of heights?  (Read 9036 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: Are you afraid of heights?
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
It's not the height I'm afraid of. It's the hitting the ground part.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
Posted in the movie thread:

Finally saw Free Solo last night.  It was about what I expected.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I wish my wife could have watched, but even seeing some of those views of Alex up on a mountain just on a screen triggers her fear of heights and completely freaks her out.

I will say that what they showed of his relationship with Sanni McCandless kind of cast her in a negative light, and I'm sure has a lot of Alex's fans hating her.  She almost comes across as just the mindless g/f that is trying to domesticate him and get him to quit his lifestyle (and who, by the way, almost killed him).  That's unfortunate, because I don't think it is accurate and don't think it was intended.

But anyway, good documentary of this truly monumental (pun intended) achievement.  I wonder what else Alex has in him to try to do.

And just to add, the more I watch videos like this (rewatched part of the video of him doing El Sendero Luminoso also), the more I understand what he is doing and how (even if it is at a ridiculously superficial, rudimentary level), and yet I STILL find myself freaked out that he might fall.  I mean, I KNOW he's already made it LONG before I watched the video, but my mind is STILL unreasonably screaming, "YEAH, BUT WHAT IF HE FALLS?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
It's not the height I'm afraid of. It's the hitting the ground part.

It's not that bad. You just need to know which ribs to use to break your fall.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
This reminded me of something. During my teen years I had a friend who had no fear of heights. He was also a great swimmer, yet couldn't get himself to dive into water anywhere higher than 7-10 ft.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2019, 06:49:34 PM »
lol see my Everest thread. 29,000 feet guess explains it :P :mehlin :mehlin :mehlin

Summit baby

Ill skydive from 15,000 feet. climb 5 of the highest peaks in the world.

ur ass will not get me to bungy jump from a 1,000bfoot bridge.

sounds weird.

but im in control of everything but the bungy jump

I think bosk, forgive me if I am wrong, people like Alex will continue. is it a death sentence, probably. but who are WE to judge if those never take the risk. Alex will break more records because he loves what he does. I find it truly amazing for a person has passion, the skill, to live his dreams, to me , as a man that have seen men in different situations, myself included, live life.

tomorrow you can get hit by a bus walking across the street.
I don't know if I will make Everest. Something I NEED to do, May sound selfish. and that is ok. I may die, im ok with that,  lol I have dodged death in Syria, iran, Afghanistan, when your time is up its up
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:02:28 PM by The Trooper »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2019, 11:48:21 PM »
I am fucking terrified of heights.

I torture myself by watching shit like this from time to time. It's like watching a scary movie. Hell... it is watching a scary movie.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2020, 01:16:52 AM »
I thought the other day, I wonder how Alain Roberts (French Spiderman) would have handled El Capitan. Even though he mostly do Urban Climbing i've seen him do rock climbing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »
So I finally saw Free Solo the other day. The climb of El Capitan is probaly one of the greatest athletic achievements in history so far.

It was interesting seeing his relationship with his girlfriend and I agree with Bosk she kinda portrays as mindless and as you say that's probably not true because she seems true in her emotions and worry about Alex which given the circumstances is probably what any sane person would feel. Alex himself seems kinda cold at times and have a hard time with feelings it seems however they're surrounded with cameras so there's that also.

The whole idea of free climbing and the mindset you have to have boggles my mind. I can't trust myself not tripping when I walk up stairs and to then add the risk of dying if I trip. Sure if I walk slowly and think about every step I take I lower the risk but then add the fact I have to walk the stairs for 3 and half hour straight. I know it's a ridiculous example. When I play a gig and the risk of dying when I play a wrong note...  okay I stop  :lol

It's just a trippy thing to think about, I mean he's obviously a very skilled climber but you just can't take the risk away no matter the skill of the climber. Every pro has a bad day that's just a fact however for most professionals in most other occupations that's just means I'll do better next time but of course for Alex and his peers there's no next time and that is just a trippy thought.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2021, 05:17:12 PM »
After going skydiving, I have realized yes, I am totally scared of heights.

Looking down from a huge height definitely makes my stomach drop.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2021, 05:26:37 PM »
I知 not necessarily afraid of heights by themselves. I have stood at the edge of a 50 floor building and looked down with no issues. I have watched out the window as my plane takes off and I find it rather pleasant.

But it all has to do with how secure I feel about the ground I知 standing on. I am *extremely terrified* of falling.  If I feel that what I知 standing on, or sitting in is in danger of falling, I will uncontrollably panic.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2021, 05:50:07 AM »
Not if there's a a barrier / walkway etc. I could easily walk over a ledge if there's a sturdy bridge.

I could never go rock climbing. I would freeze.

Also - fun fact ! You actually don't need a parachute to go skydiving !!

... You only need a parachute to go skydiving AGAIN.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2021, 06:54:46 AM »
I知 not necessarily afraid of heights by themselves. I have stood at the edge of a 50 floor building and looked down with no issues. I have watched out the window as my plane takes off and I find it rather pleasant.

But it all has to do with how secure I feel about the ground I知 standing on. I am *extremely terrified* of falling.  If I feel that what I知 standing on, or sitting in is in danger of falling, I will uncontrollably panic.

I've never really unpacked it that way, but that's probably me.  I'm fine in a plane; in fact like you I find it pleasant to be above looking down on the houses and roads.  I've always chalked it up to being SO high I lose the sense of height altogether.  But I like being on top of big buildings too; there's a hotel I stay in in NYC and I can go out on the balcony and look down.  I lived on the 24th floor of a high rise in Philly and used to sit and drink on the balcony.   Five steps up on a ladder though, and I'm as conscious and aware of my circumstances as I ever am.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2021, 01:12:07 PM »
I fear awkward heights. Roofs mainly. I get nervous when I see gutter cleaners facing downwards and leaning over the side of a roof. Some ladders can be a bit much for me. But the I can also stand those videos of people climbing towers. As long as there is enough to maintain the three point contact, then I am fine. Anything where there is an edge with a large drop and no rail makes me uneasy as well.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2021, 09:54:01 AM »
Just popped in this thread to read Trooper's last message.

For me, heights are odd.  I have no fear of the height itself (I actually want to jump when I get to the edge), it's the different perspectives that makes my hands sweat. 

On a rock face, your immediate perspective is the rock face in front of you and the line you're taking... your concentration is on the movement and contact with the rock itself.  If you stop for a rest, you might take a look behind you into the void or even take a look down if that's your thing (I do both, but I enjoy the void view more  :biggrin:).  The face encompasses your entire field of vision for the majority of the climb.

Cell Towers (and chimney's, cranes, etc; tons of YT vids for these climbs) are a completely different story though... personally, I would struggle keeping my breathing calm on a cell tower as the perspective is the lone standing structure in space and you can see-through what you're climbing on.  I've had issues with the fire tower's I've climbed for that reason.

Situational awareness gets me on flights.  40K ft at 600mph is a lot different than 2800ft and control of your own speed on the rock.  Helicopters I have never had an issue with though.  I might be a bit weird...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:08:29 AM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2022, 10:19:45 AM »
climbing with Alex Honnold **Insane experience**

That was pretty intense seeing Magnus handling his nerves, he was pretty scared about climbing without rope which is a legit concern for most but not for Alex.

At this point while being of course very experienced with climbing I think Alex has a screw loose because being that calm and having a casual conversation 50meters up is not human I think.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2022, 04:44:46 AM »
It would be cool hearing a conversation between Alex Honnold and Alain Robert, I feel he has to be an inspiration to Alex in some form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqYpu2OfwZM&ab_channel=AlexisLandot

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2022, 05:07:11 AM »

That was pretty intense seeing Magnus handling his nerves, he was pretty scared about climbing without rope which is a legit concern for most but not for Alex.

At this point while being of course very experienced with climbing I think Alex has a screw loose because being that calm and having a casual conversation 50meters up is not human I think.  :lol

This is beyond insane.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2022, 07:23:00 AM »
Two words:

FUCK THAT!  :omg:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2022, 08:39:13 AM »

This is beyond insane.

Yeah.....every time I watch Honnold (or others) free solo I get so uncomfortable. It's just absolutely nuts. He was so casual during that......at any moment dude could plummet to his death.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind