Author Topic: Are you afraid of heights?  (Read 9051 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Are you afraid of heights?
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
What scares me is the actual realization that I'm high, or I'm going high.

When I'm on the top of a skyscraper or on a plane, I'm just fine. But watching the plane lift off or watching from an elevator with a view the landscape going down below me as I go up, that's when the legs tremble and the stomach twists up.

Last August I visited London - I had no problems at all to stand in the enclosed viewing platform of the Shard, which is the tallest skyscraper in the entire European Union. Took a lot of pictures and enjoyed a lot the view. Then I went on the much smaller Tower Bridge, which has a glass floor where you can see below, and I couldn't bring myself to stand on it because I was exposed to the heights below, I was walking on the sides of it just like if there was a void.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
What scares me is the actual realization that I'm high

Well, paranoia is one of the side effects of smoking we.... wait, what were we talking about?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
What scares me is the actual realization that I'm high, or I'm going high.

When I'm on the top of a skyscraper or on a plane, I'm just fine. But watching the plane lift off or watching from an elevator with a view the landscape going down below me as I go up, that's when the legs tremble and the stomach twists up.

I had this a couple of months ago. We had to go to the top of one of the skyscrapers they're building in NYC and they didn't have a full elevator installed so we had to take one of those construction elevators you see on the sides of highrises up to the 65th floor. I wasn't comfortable with it but there was no other way to get to where we needed to go. We start going up and I'm talking with my coworker to distract myself but after about two minutes I just peaked over to the side, which is basically just chicken wire, and saw that I was well over a lot of the city hundreds of feet up. I just sort of froze and all I could think of was "I'm in a plywood and wire box and there's 4 inches between my feet and nothing". I just stared at the wall for the rest of the ride. All told I was probably close to 1,000 up when we got to the top. I've been on the top of some of the tallest buildings in NYC but normally I'm on a rooftop with safety railings. This was just moderately terrifying.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2018, 06:53:24 AM »
My palms just get sweety watching Alex Honnold freeclimb. He's one of a kind and it's easy to label him crazy but he's fascinating on so many levels.
It's so crazy seeing him holding his whole bodyweight with a couple of fingers knowing that if he slips or a rock gets lose he falls to his death.

https://youtu.be/Phl82D57P58

Yeah, I learned about him recently as I was contemplating climbing Half Dome (the dome side).  I was shocked to learn that he solo free-climbed the face.  It didn't even enter into my mind that that might be possible.
Had to google Half Dome but yea it's a surreal thing to think about. I think I saw a video of his ascend on YT.
I read that he's the first to free solo climb El Capitan, took him almost 4hrs.  :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
Not only the first.  But as of right now at least, he's the only one to free solo El Capitan.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »
My palms just get sweety watching Alex Honnold freeclimb. He's one of a kind and it's easy to label him crazy but he's fascinating on so many levels.
It's so crazy seeing him holding his whole bodyweight with a couple of fingers knowing that if he slips or a rock gets lose he falls to his death.

That is f'n crazy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »
Not only the first.  But as of right now at least, he's the only one to free solo El Capitan.
Yea that's right, just saw that there's a movie about that whole thing called Free Solo.
Will definitely watch that when it's available.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »

That is f'n crazy!

I almost threw up. I seriously cannot even think about doing something like that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »

That is f'n crazy!
Yea it's insane, the shots at 4:44 onwards is hard to watch. I mean he's holding onto to basically nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 09:44:52 AM »
I know what you mean.  I thought about just doing this, and backed off of it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcj9JfI63g
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
I know what you mean.  I thought about just doing this, and backed off of it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcj9JfI63g
Would love to do the hiking part but yea I don't think I could do the ropeclimb, would probably freakout.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »
I plan to do the hike to the sub-dome next year sometime.  We did part of it a couple of weeks ago and ran out of time to go farther.  Despite it not being that far away, I had never done that hike before.  The mileage was easily doable for the time we had, but I underestimated the amount of climbing.  It is a tougher hike than it looks in paper.  That's why the doctor in that video recommends splitting it into two days.  A lot of people find themselves exhausted by the time they get to the dome, which then makes the dome ascent (and descent) more dangerous. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
I'm not afraid of normal heights.
But I would definitely be very afraid of this:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »
My dad worked in construction before he retired. He was up on that steel 30, 40 stories high in Manhattan. Crazy stuff those guys do. I have no idea how they did it. My dad was in safety, and he said those guys just do what they do. I mean, they followed the rules, but it was dangerous as hell. Not sure how my Dad even stomached it. That picture alone makes me sick.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »
It's hard for me to fathom how they do it too.  But as with anything, I think it probably goes without saying that after you do it quite a few times, the fear either goes away or become controllable because of (1) comfort with being up high, and (2) confidence in your ability to function up high.  I know when I was in the Marine Corps, in boot camp, they had you run various obstacles in obstacle courses, some of which involved heights.  They referred to it as a "confidence course."  And it very much was.  Quite of few kids right out of high school are afraid and even downright terrified on some of those obstacles.  You make it over the first time because you have drill instructors screaming at you, and you are more terrified of them than anything else.  Then, having done it once, it is easier and less scary the next time.  Then, for me, fast forward two years when I am doing jungle training in Okinawa, and we have to do things like zip line over water where the line is 20-50 feet up, or rappel down the side of a cliff.  I never could have even thought about that prior to boot camp.  But having done those obstacles back then helped with the initial step.  And then with the jungle obstacles, you have someone talking you through how to do it, before and during.  So I can definitely see how comfort and confidence can grow.  Still not something I have any desire whatsoever to do.  But I at least get it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
My heart pumped like crazy just seeing that picture.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
I already told you, that's NOT ME in that pic, King.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »
I didn't say fluttering. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Looks like the guy on the far right is holding a gin bottle or something.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
The guy on the far left looks like he's snorting coke.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
They are all smoking doobies too, definitely not cigarettes.  How else could they be so high?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
But when they fall out of the sky
He'll be standing by

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
I am not at all afraid of heights. I am, however, fearful of precarious situations. I am much less fearful of standing on the deck of the Space Needle than I am standing at the edge of a 5 story building with no secure railings.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
Six degrees of High Speed Dirt. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2018, 05:56:06 AM »
I'm not afraid of normal heights.
But I would definitely be very afraid of this:

Apparently most of the workers have not been indentified. Found this short film about it: https://youtu.be/7QCYDzsQ_yM

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »

That is f'n crazy!
Yea it's insane, the shots at 4:44 onwards is hard to watch. I mean he's holding onto to basically nothing.

In the climbing community, Honnold is a type of living legend now (whether or not he's viewed as foolhardy by other legends in the community for free soloing in the first place), a freak of nature.  The route he used to free solo El Cap (Freerider VI 5-13.a) is mostly competed over 3-5 days by normal people... the speed with which he completed it is just as fantastical as the fact that he completed it sans equipment in my book.  The man is a FREAK!

He's quoted as telling Chin at the top that "I'm pretty sure I could go back to the bottom and do it again right now"... amazing.  He put in the work though; over a year of planning went into the climb and he's run that route many times (with equipment and sometimes with climbing partners).  He's said that he knows every hold on that route and that some of the holds are "like old friends".

Not many free soloist are living... for obvious reasons.  I raised a glass to him when I heard about it last year and I raise a glass to him again anytime I read about it or hear it mentioned in passing conversation... "a generation defining climb, badass, and beyond words" as Tommy Caldwell put it!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
Yeah, in addition to just climbing it several times, he did many free climbs (climbs with safety ropes only, but not for assistance) to practice moves on certain pitches, and many climbs to clear the route of debris and stuff that could pose a danger or hindrance. 

Having read articles about it and watched a bunch of videos, there is lots of focus on a few particular pitches and moves, like the karate kick move on The Boulder Problem.  But there was one pitch that I only saw brief reference to in one article that was terrifying to me.  I didn't see the name of that pitch.  But basically, I think it was about a 140 foot near vertical section that was polished smooth and required smearing the entire way.  And what was extra tricky about it was that Alex was saying that you need to move up that section quickly without stopping because once your momentum stopped, you would lose friction and slide right off the face.  That, to me, sounds just terrifying, and I am curious why it isn't mentioned more in other articles or videos.  Again, it was only the briefest of mentions in one article I saw.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
Maybe the top of Enduro to the Round Table traverse?  The bottom of Enduro has a crack but the top looks as if it's clean until you get to the traverse...

I honestly have a rough time imagining a free-climb traverse of that section or of The Bolder Problem... the amount of mental energy expended and mental stability training that he must have is unfathomable to me.  He's a pro for a reason... living in that van and eating, sleeping, and breathing El Cap for all those years.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »
It could be Enduro.  But from the videos I have seen of people doing that pitch, I don't think that's it.  It could be that the videos just don't show that part of it.  But the climbers I saw on Enduro were able to stop and rest, and it seemed a bit too vertical and rough to be the part that was being described.  But, again, I could be wrong.  The description of the moves necessary to do that section was so brief that I may simply have gotten the wrong impression too. 

If you search "boulder problem freerider," you will get tons of cool videos.  There are a few that show the "karate kick" move for the crux.  It doesn't look quite as insane as I thought it might.  But I'm sure it is much more crazy doing it than being a spectator to it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »
I just watched some. I seriously have no idea how some of you maniacs would consider doing that. I feel nauseous just watching. Hiking? Cool. Climbing? Hell no.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2018, 10:10:24 AM »
Yeah... I think I'm wrong about it being the top of Enduro... it may be to vertical to truly smear-climb I think, for us mortals anyway.  Although, some of the photos of Dean Potter (RIP) on the top sections of Enduro appear to be smearing (hands in the crack, feet on the smooth face); looking at the photos again, it looks like he's (DP) approaching the Round Table Traverse (this https://imgur.com/a/c74MY#Zb0MtYJ will take you to the photos I'm talking about).

That kick freaks me right out, and the link above will show you where Alex is on the wall when he's sending Enduro and the Bolder Problem... just to give us all perspective! 

I don't think it's about fear or no fear, I think it's about confidence in his ability and confidence in his experience (which really are two different things).  If your stomach isn't churning at least a little bit on a face like that, I don't think you're human.  Even pros freeze from time to time, but they use their mental training and the facing of that fear to calm themselves and inch by inch ascend.  This article gives good insight regarding how pros face the fear and calm themselves https://www.scmp.com/sport/other-sport/article/2113304/overcome-panic-stuck-cliff-and-unable-go-or-down-heres-how-deal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:39 AM »
Bosk and vtgrad i'm no climber so I don't follow everything you talk about but Alex actually mentions the boulder problem and that karate kick in his recent TED talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2018, 06:38:01 AM »
I always thought I wasn’t afraid of heights, but I realize it’s the fear of falling that gets me, and deff as I get older it gets worse. Few years back I did parasailing in Jamaica. Nothing crazy but realizing I was a good 400-500 feet up in the air with only a 1 inch thick rope preventing me from flying off, it got to me.

I want to do sky diving, but the older I get the more afraid of it I am.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
Bosk and vtgrad i'm no climber so I don't follow everything you talk about but Alex actually mentions the boulder problem and that karate kick in his recent TED talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

I watched that last night and it's a great talk.

My wife mentioned how robotic Alex was when giving that talk, almost like he was uncomfortable.  She said..."Imagine being uncomfortable speaking to an audience yet being relaxed and comfortable 2,000 feet off the deck hanging by your thumb and forefinger on a hold no wider than a pencil grip.  How it that possible?".  I think it's because Alex is shy and liens toward humility.

If you watch the talk, that thumb and forefinger hold in unimaginable.

Brother Boom, you don't need to be a climber or know anything about climbing to see that what Alex has done is incredible... honestly, the more you know about climbing the more insane you'll think he is.  There's a contingent of climbers (Krakauer and Caldwell to name a few) who don't really see the merit of free soloing and Caldwell and Alex are good friends.  Although Alex does approach climbing in a linear and rational fashion dividing his climbs into "risk and consequence", the other side of the argument is just as rational; Caldwell says "I've fallen completely unexpectedly lots of times on relatively easy terrain when a hold broke off or rubber pealed off my shoe.  If I'd been soloing I'd have died.  I really like Alex.  I don't want him to die."  I guess it's up to which approach seems more rational. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
If you guys are fans of Alex, he was just on Rogan's podcast too. Great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhHkBmbb5Y