Author Topic: Orange Is the New Black  (Read 14431 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Orange Is the New Black
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »
Yet another bump since I take my time with shows  :D

Anyone still following this? just finished to catch up with the whole season 5, and I agree with the comments above, that save some minor misteps, the season was great. The ensemble cast makes up for it, but I can't think of any other show where the main protagonist completely loses the spotlight after one season, and becomes just one of the many stories we follow. I still think of this as Piper's story, but especially this season Taystey has been the real protagonist.

I have to say that I find the character of Leanne the most contradictory of them all. Ok, drugs, prison and the bad company can really mess you up, but from flashbacks she's not so stupid as she acts in prison. Angie is ok, methead of a methead family, but Leanne had a family behind her and supposedly good education, but she can hardly be distinguished from Angie who was into that world her whole life.

And what a sad irony for Piscatella, being the only actual victim of the prison takeover, not counting Humps that died halfway through the riot. I wonder if all would have went well (Taystey accepting the offers and the prison surrendering peacefully) how Humps' death would have affected it all - probably the deals would have still went up the air.

Now I look forward with how much they'll commit to the inmates split up next year - a big reshuffle of the cast? they will move the main cast to another prison? they will bring them back to Litchfield after they will have gotten the prison up and running again? this is a show that potentially can go on forever thanks to the premise, and than can even survive without its "protagonist" (they gotta release Piper one day, don't they?), and I guess as long as the interest is high, they'll keep it going. We still have two seasons for sure anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the population next season. I suppose they could just skip ahead a couple months while they rebuild litchfield, but I think that would be a really big missed opportunity to change scenery. I could totally see them branching out to 3 or 4 new prisons while all the girls are in temporary housing, giving us a look inside other facilities, and then moving them back to Litchfield for season 7. We'll meet a bunch of new people, some of which I'm sure will get sent to Litchfield with the original group of girls once it reopens.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2019, 07:21:12 AM »
Didn't get to continue watching the show when season 6 came out. Finally watched season 6 & 7 back to back and thought it was a very strong finish. Final season was very difficult to get through. I know people say Handmaid's Tale is depressing but that's a dystopian future which is more about the possibilities of a bleak way of life. But OITNB is straight up current way of life depressing. I find it a lot more sadder than Handmaid's Tale.

Putting that aside, it was a great final season and the finale was really good. I personally thought season 3-5 were the best, season 6 was a shift with new characters and season 7 ended on a high.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
I didn't like season 7 that much as a whole, but the final episode was excellent.

I thought for sure the purple vibrator was going to bring Tastee down when it was found a second time. I figured that was how the guards/warden were going to be made aware that an inmate had access to the contraband room.