Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211476 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1750 on: November 16, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
If you hate the Saints, is your reason(s) the bounty thing, years of being overrated cuz of their offense, their total wasting of half of Drew Brees' career by failing to to address the defensive woes, or something entirely different?

I don't hate the Saints, but on the other hand, it's difficult to respect a coach and the organization of a team that has done the things you mentioned.  However, I do have a lot of respect for Brees.  I think he's an elite QB.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1751 on: November 16, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »

Yeah, and once Wentz has a bad game (not if, but when) we'll see how he handles the fan criticism.  The kinds of criticism that only Philly fans are capable of.   :rollin

He had his fair share of bad games last year and appeared to handle it just fine.  To me, he is a QB who "gets it."

A few weeks ago, Cowherd showed the great contrast between Wentz and a guy like Cam Newton.  After throwing a touchdown, the Eagles did a group TD celebration and they allowed the lineman to be show, while Went and the others all stood off to the side and cheered them on.  Wentz had no problem not being the center of attention. On the same Sunday, Cam Newton scored a TD and when several players came over to celebrate with him, he shoed them away with arms so he could celebrate all by himself, because you know Cam, it's always all about him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1752 on: November 16, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
Fuck Cam Newton.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1753 on: November 16, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
This skycam is good for the occasional play, but that's it.  Making it the main camera angle would make me stop watching.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1754 on: November 16, 2017, 10:09:41 PM »
This skycam is good for the occasional play, but that's it.  Making it the main camera angle would make me stop watching.
There were some angles it worked great at and some that it failed hard at. If they'd approach it as one of many tools it'd be fine. I doubt they will though. It's new and shiny.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1755 on: November 17, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
There were some angles it worked great at and some that it failed hard at. If they'd approach it as one of many tools it'd be fine. I doubt they will though. It's new and shiny.

Agreed. In certain situations, specifically passing plays down the middle of the field, it was great. You could see the passing lanes and watch the receiver break to the open spot. In a lot of instances though, it wasn't great. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1756 on: November 17, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »

Agreed. In certain situations, specifically passing plays down the middle of the field, it was great. You could see the passing lanes and watch the receiver break to the open spot. In a lot of instances though, it wasn't great.
Yup. Looked like Madden, which I'm sure is the point and why a lot of people really liked it. What they didn't learn is that as soon as the guy catches the ball you need a different view to show the YAC. Like I said, they could figure out how to incorporate it for a much better product.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1757 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
Yup. Looked like Madden, which I'm sure is the point and why a lot of people really liked it. What they didn't learn is that as soon as the guy catches the ball you need a different view to show the YAC. Like I said, they could figure out how to incorporate it for a much better product.

Right, I wouldn't mind them utilizing it more often, just not 85% of the time like they did last night. I like your idea of switching to the regular side camera to show YAC, that's where it got tough last night - you'd see a guy catch a ball (great camera angle from the Madden-camera thing) and then you'd have no clue how far down field he was, where the marker for the first down was, where his running lanes were, etc...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1758 on: November 17, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
One thing I liked about the skycam was that you could really see how tight the windows are that NFL QBs have to throw into.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1759 on: November 17, 2017, 06:13:59 PM »
That never ceases to amaze me.    There are times, at certain views, that I don't even see a receiver, let alone an open one, and next thing you know, Ben just threw for 25 yards and a first down.  I know they have routes and stuff, but still. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1760 on: November 18, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »
Oh no! Seahawks secondary are gonna be hurting. Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor out for the season.  At least they still have their safety Earl Thomas but the Seahawks are in trouble with the L.O.B. depleted. Sigh!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cable

« Reply #1761 on: November 19, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol  Well done Buffalo on the QB change, well done. :rollin

Way to save a buck (allegedly) two years in a row.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1762 on: November 19, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
Pretty sure whoever the Bills head coach is (I don't even know who it is) should be fired tonight for that decision.

Love see the Chiefs totally collapse after that 5-0 start.  9 points against a Giants team that appears to have quit on their coach? My God. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I have thought for years that Mike McCarthy was totally overrated and am feeling totally vindicated right now.  We are seeing how mediocre the Packers team and coaching staff is when Aaron Rodgers is not there to make them all look good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1763 on: November 19, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
Dallas is missing their stud RB and their best defensive player.  If Philly is as legit as they appear to be, they need to win this game.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1764 on: November 19, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Nice win by the Vikings today. It's good to see them beat a quality opponent easily at home.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1765 on: November 19, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »
Nice win by the Vikings today. It's good to see them beat a quality opponent easily at home.
That fumble at the goal line was the turning point. Looking forward to Thursday
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1766 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Sluggish first half for the Eagles, but they completely demolished Dallas in the 2nd half. That was not pretty.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1767 on: November 19, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Oh no! Seahawks secondary are gonna be hurting. Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor out for the season.  At least they still have their safety Earl Thomas but the Seahawks are in trouble with the L.O.B. depleted. Sigh!

True, but the Rams have the toughest schedule coming up, so the Hawks could still take the division.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1768 on: November 20, 2017, 05:31:26 AM »
Pretty sure whoever the Bills head coach is (I don't even know who it is) should be fired tonight for that decision.

Love see the Chiefs totally collapse after that 5-0 start.  9 points against a Giants team that appears to have quit on their coach? My God. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I have thought for years that Mike McCarthy was totally overrated and am feeling totally vindicated right now.  We are seeing how mediocre the Packers team and coaching staff is when Aaron Rodgers is not there to make them all look good.

That last thought?  That's exactly what I think of Andy Reid.  I don't think the Chiefs are done yet, but they're not the glorious team that everyone thought after the first few games. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1769 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:09 AM »
That fumble at the goal line was the turning point. Looking forward to Thursday
Thursday is definitely game they need to be able to win if they want to make a run in the playoffs. They can obviously still win the division if they lose, but a SB caliber team needs to win that game.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: November 20, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
True, but the Rams have the toughest schedule coming up, so the Hawks could still take the division.

Hawks don't have a cake walk down the stretch either. Big game Monday for both teams.

5 Teams in the AFC with winning records.

Marshawn Lynch and his ballyhooed return from retirement have garnered 390 rushing yards, a 4-6 record, and forgetting what country he lives in. I shouldn't say this as a PNWer as you had the biggest run in Seahawks history, and the biggest non-run in Seahawks history, but stay classy brah.

And LOL at ESPN's article about Jerry Jones
Jerry Jones has proved you can be one of the most powerful men in American sports and a bad franchise owner at the same time. Someone should actually award him a trophy for pulling that off.

What an asshat this guy is.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:57:40 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1771 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
It’s crazy right now how many of the good quarterbacks are in the NFC. The AFC has about 2 good QBs and the rest are dumpster fires. NFC has Wentz, Cousins, Stafford, Keenum, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Goff all playing good to great not to mention Rodgers when he comes back. Well, Ryan hasn’t been great but I think he’ll play better going forward. But yeah the NFC has 8 of the top 10 QBs. Not sure about Newton and Prescott right now but if you count them it’s 10 of the top 12. Maybe Rivers sneaks in there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1772 on: November 20, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »
Wait, we are putting Case Keenum in the top 10, but not Alex Smith??

This doesn't change the fact, of course, that the NFC does have all of the best QBs, aside from Brady.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1773 on: November 20, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
Well, Keenum’s been playing better than Smith lately. You could dispute Goff on the same grounds I suppose. Not that anyone here cares, but by advanced metrics Roethlisberger’s been the 7th best QB in the league. He’s only actually had one BAD game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1774 on: November 20, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
Okay, but if we are basing "best players" off of just very recent play, then Adam Thielen is better than Mike Evans and Julio Jones.

With QBs, I tend to take the "they need to do it for more than one season before putting them in the first or second tier" approach.

For me, the top tier is still just Rodgers and Brady.

The next tier is just Brees and Wilson, although I think Wentz is well on his way to breaking into that second tier.

I thought Carr was on the verge of breaking into the top 5, but he has really taken a few steps back this season.

Roethlisberger is still good, but clearly on the decline.

Stafford is always underrated, and I think Goff and Prescott are young guys on the rise.

Despite his play early this season, Alex Smith is still just a good QB (always in that 12-15 range).

Newton is too inconsistent to be a top 10 guy.

Ryan and Rivers are both good, but Rivers is on the decline, and Ryan needs everything around him working just right to be great.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1775 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
 I think you need to put Brady ahead of Rogers when you talk about the greatest ever. When you can stay on the field and only miss one season that means a lot.

Also five rings to one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1776 on: November 20, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
I know I shouldn't nibble on that bait :lol, but the rings argument is tired and old.

Brady has a MASSIVE advantage in what team and coach he plays for over Rodgers.

No Brady last year and the Patriots still went 3-1.

No Rodgers for a month this year and the Packers look like the 2nd worst team in the league (Cleveland, LOL).

There is something to be said for staying healthy, however. Notice how the guys who always stay in the pocket almost never miss games?  Brady, Rivers, Eli, Ryan, etc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: November 20, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
You don't win 5 Super Bowls without a great quarterback and a great coach. That's why Aaron Rodgers hasn't won more than one. but Brady at age 40 is doing things that no one has ever done. Since game 5 when he came back from the suspension he's thrown 50 touchdowns and four interceptions. That is God like. He has a lot to do with it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1778 on: November 20, 2017, 08:30:55 PM »
Brady has a MASSIVE advantage in what team and coach he plays for over Rodgers.

That argument is the one that's old and tired.

Oh, I know... what is Rogers played for the Patriots?

As good as Belichick is, and there's no one even close to him, Brady has made him look pretty good.

Rogers is awesome. But he's NOT Brady.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1779 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
Brady is playing better now than he had in years.  But I think there is a difference between being "the greatest" and being "the most successful" QB or whatever.

Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman were more successful QBs than Drew Brees and Brett Favre, but Brees and Favre were better QBs.

Brady is undoubtedly the most successful QB ever from a team success standpoint, but Aaron Rodgers, for the last 10 years, has played the position at a higher level than anyone else I've ever seen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1780 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »

Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman were more successful QBs than Drew Brees and Brett Favre, but Brees and Favre were better QBs.

I just can't get on board with this.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: November 20, 2017, 08:46:09 PM »
 Kev I think you're forgetting that Brady has melted both of those together successful and won multiple
 championships. 

There is no doubt when you get to the level that Brady is you have to have a coach at your level. That's what makes Montana great but seriously both need each other to make  the next level.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1782 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »

Nah, he's exactly right here. He's also very wrong about Brady.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
Oh dear.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1784 on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
Best game ever.  The only way it could have been better is if LeBron James were standing on the sidelines, and Russell Wilson ran into him at full speed, causing both to suffer career-ending injuries and permanent paralysis. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."