Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 214277 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1575 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
Maybe it's because I despise Nance, but I haven't warmed to Romo yet.  I actually liked Phil Simms, so for me, so far, it's not a trade up.

Well, I can see how someone might not prefer Nance, but despise?  He seems to be a pretty likable guy.  I thought Simms was pretty good and knowledgeable, but Romo has a lot more energy and really gets into the game.  I think fans can really appreciate his enthusiasm.
A bit too much, IMO. He's annoyed me a couple of times, but I am warming to him.

I was wondering if they keep those guys on a delay, because it's only a matter of time before Romo calls something bullshit or exclaims what the fuck! I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, assuming it hasn't, but it will.

Yeah, I get it.  He has a tendency to go over the top sometimes, but that's just him.  As far as being professional, I don't think that'll be an issue.  Especially if there's an Al Michaels and Ron Jaworski delay.   :rollin

Maybe it's because I despise Nance, but I haven't warmed to Romo yet.  I actually liked Phil Simms, so for me, so far, it's not a trade up.

Well, I can see how someone might not prefer Nance, but despise?  He seems to be a pretty likable guy.  I thought Simms was pretty good and knowledgeable, but Romo has a lot more energy and really gets into the game.  I think fans can really appreciate his enthusiasm.

My hatred for him goes back to the 1999 NCAA Championship Game between Duke and UConn, and UConn was leading most of the game, and to hear Nance and Billy Packer talk about it was just... deplorable (can I say that?).  It was never "look at this UConn team!" it was always "well, Duke is going to have to play Duke basketball to get this where it should be" and "Duke this" and "Duke that", as if UConn was upsetting the cosmos by fucking with the order of things.   Even at the end - UConn won 77-74 - it wasn't about the UConn team it was about the Duke team.   It's almost like they were homers rooting for their team and were disappointed when it didn't work out in their favor.    It was an upset, to be sure, but it shouldn't have been that big a surprise to someone that knew about the game and was unbiased.   UConn was like ten point underdogs in the game, but they were a good solid team, number one in the country for about half the season, Big East regular season and tournament champions, and number one seed in the tourney.   

Dude!  That is like ancient history man.  Gotta let that shit go.   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1576 on: October 27, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
The hit on Flacco was nasty, but like many have said, unavoidable.  The defender is going full speed and led with his shoulder; just awful timing that Flacco slid late when he did.

As for Suh, you can't help but wonder how dirty you have to get on the field to actually get kicked out of a game. The NFL supposedly cares about player safety, yet a guy with a long history of being dirty grabs a player by the throat and tries to throw him down and doesn't get kicked out.  Bang up job, NFL.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: October 27, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »
Sensitive ass players in Houston taking their owner's figure of speech literally for some reason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1578 on: October 27, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
Probably not the best choice of words to use that old cliche, but it is a take on a fairly common cliche ("can't let the inmates run the asylum.").  That said, I am not shocked that many are outraged over it, because this is 2017 where everything is offensive.

Houston will probably get drilled by Seattle now on Sunday now that a portion of the team got themselves distracted by this silliness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1579 on: October 27, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
Probably not the best choice of words to use that old cliche, but it is a take on a fairly common cliche ("can't let the inmates run the asylum.").  That said, I am not shocked that many are outraged over it, because this is 2017 where everything is offensive.

Well, everything except choking a QB, or taking his head off as he's sliding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline max_security

« Reply #1580 on: October 27, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
The hit on Flacco was nasty, but like many have said, unavoidable.  The defender is going full speed and led with his shoulder; just awful timing that Flacco slid late when he did.

As for Suh, you can't help but wonder how dirty you have to get on the field to actually get kicked out of a game. The NFL supposedly cares about player safety, yet a guy with a long history of being dirty grabs a player by the throat and tries to throw him down and doesn't get kicked out.  Bang up job, NFL.  :tdwn :tdwn

As a Ravens fan I hope this inspires Joe to take a pay cut ( for some help on the line ) or retire. And the choke hold will possibly get some other players minds back in the game , a lot of " ho-hum " attitudes and distractions recently. 40 -0 I'm sure Ndkong and the other hacks were jacked , hell I picked this as a loss for us.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1581 on: October 28, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ndamukong-suh-reportedly-wont-be-suspended-for-throat-grab-against-ravens-player/

What the fuck kind of league is this? Suh was acting in self defense? Against Ryan Mallett? Guess they just wanted to take his long history of good sportsmanship into account.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1582 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ndamukong-suh-reportedly-wont-be-suspended-for-throat-grab-against-ravens-player/

What the fuck kind of league is this? Suh was acting in self defense? Against Ryan Mallett? Guess they just wanted to take his long history of good sportsmanship into account.

This league is becoming more of a joke each year. I stopped watching that game some time in the first half... was Suh ejected after the second unnecessary roughness penalty since it was his second personal foul?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1583 on: October 28, 2017, 07:01:08 PM »

Being a life-long Steelers fan, I realize that some might find my next statement to be hypocritical, but here goes anyways... (James Harrison has been accused of being a cheap shot artist for years, but I don't buy into it)

Suh and Burfict need to be sat down for an entire season, or more. They've both demonstrated time and time again that they're unable to control themselves on the field. The level of cognitive dissonance that the league continuously demonstrates in suspending players that decide to toke up a lefty then look the other way when others intentionally try to physically harm other players outside the bounds of the game itself is simply breath taking to behold.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: October 29, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
Part of it is because our new baby is taking up whatever free time I used to have, but this is the first Sunday this season where I seem to have zero interest in the NFL. I never thought I am caught up in this protesting issue, but I do feel it, among other issues, are spiraling out of control and negatively affecting my interest in the sport. I'll still listen to Jim Rome and Tiki and Tierney tomorrow to hear about today's games, but I hope the games is all I hear about. Not protesting, not players choking others trying to "defend" themselves, not players demanding trades because they aren't getting the ball enough...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1585 on: October 29, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
Listening to Tiki and Tierney would also decrease interest in the sport too. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
Was waiting for someone to comment! I actually flip between the national and local shows, depending on who is talking about what.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1587 on: October 29, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
Christ, I wonder if that Bademosi dude can play WR. That didn't look very good for Hogan.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1588 on: October 29, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
Yeah.  That Hogan injury looks like a broken bone.  I'm hoping a  deep bone bruise.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1589 on: October 29, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
Patriots D inexplicably carrying the team lately.  13 points per game allowed in the last month.  The offense scoring only 22 a game in that same stretch.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1590 on: October 29, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
Strange season so far, yet 6-2 heading into the bye. Got some tough games in 2nd half.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1591 on: October 29, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »
And nice work by the Raiders to "save their season" last week with that comeback against the Chiefs, only to get drilled by the Bills today. :lol :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1592 on: October 29, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
Yeah.  That Hogan injury looks like a broken bone.  I'm hoping a  deep bone bruise.
I don't think anything was broken.  There's something torn up in his shoulder.

Patriots D inexplicably carrying the team lately.  13 points per game allowed in the last month.  The offense scoring only 22 a game in that same stretch.
The D shouldn't surprise anybody. Like I've said, they've got good players out there. They only needed to get their act together. The O is strange, though. They've got a solid run game and Brady is playing just fine. They have a hard time stringing plays together.

And damn. The Skins were fixing to go up by 9 and wound up down 1 on a blocked kick. Huge play.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1593 on: October 29, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »
Bill O'Brien wins the award for Dumbest Head Coach...again.  Man, talk about having no balls.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1594 on: October 29, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »
I've never been this cautiously optimistic during a Saints 5+ game winning streak. The defense is shockingly pulling us through games left and right but the offense has dulled so severely plus the teams we've beaten are Carolina, Miami, Detroit, Rodgers-less Green Bay, and Chicago.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1595 on: October 29, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
If you were absorbed into the NFL from the AAFC, this just ain't your year. If you were ever coached by Dick Vermeil, this has been a fine year.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1596 on: October 29, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
I watched the Bears/Saints game today. I think they said it was the first time that the Saints won a game that Brees didn't throw a TD since 2009.

I do have to say that the Bears got screwed on that play that their TE blew his knee. That was definitely a TD.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1597 on: October 29, 2017, 06:01:53 PM »
I agree 100%. I also thought it was completely corrupt how they seemingly gave the Bears a makeup call by calling facemasking on a play where replay revealed that the flag was thrown when no Saints player was within 1 yard of the receiver.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: October 29, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
If you were absorbed into the NFL from the AAFC, this just ain't your year. If you were ever coached by Dick Vermeil, this has been a fine year.

Those are some astute observations :tup  Great history lesson as well.

I watch the second half of SNF, and see my old Lions are still the same.  Almost good enough at times, but still can't get over the hump.  The first failed 4th down, followed by the 97 yard JuJu TD, two failures inside the 10 late on.....and then a fumble without being touched.  Third most total yards in a game without a TD.  I feel for my old friends back in Michigan.  [cue fadeout of The Talking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime'.....same as it ever was, same as it ever was................]
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1599 on: October 29, 2017, 11:13:26 PM »

Those are some astute observations :tup  Great history lesson as well.

I watch the second half of SNF, and see my old Lions are still the same.  Almost good enough at times, but still can't get over the hump.  The first failed 4th down, followed by the 97 yard JuJu TD, two failures inside the 10 late on.....and then a fumble without being touched.  Third most total yards in a game without a TD.  I feel for my old friends back in Michigan.  [cue fadeout of The Talking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime'.....same as it ever was, same as it ever was................]

Thanks dude! I was thinking only Kev or this other member whose name currently escapes me would get those references. The dude was really knowledgeable and knew the origins of each NFL team and even once made a post that fairly accurately depicted how each team in the NFL has performed in terms of winning championships relative to the age of the respective franchises and how many teams were in the NFL for each year of each franchise's existence. Yeshaberto was the first name that came to mind but I doubt it was him. I think he was just posting frquently in the NFL thread around that time so I'm probably confusing him for the actual dude I'm talking about.

Sorry bout your Lions though. I think they're my second favorite NFC team behind, obviously, the Saints. I have a soft spot for teams that have struggled immensely and also enjoyed the fuck out of the Barry Sanders years. Another thing cementing my affinity for them was the fact that in 2014 they had 4 players and an OC that were from the Saints: Reggie Bush, Isa Abdul-Quddus, Joique Bell, Jed Collins, and Joe Lombardi. Additionally, Nick Fairley is now on the Saints.

I really hope they turn it around while Matt Stafford still has some good years left. He seems like a nice, chill dude and goes out and fucks the shit out of the stat sheet most weeks. He's damn near Archie Manning in regard to his talent level to team performance ratio.

I'm bummed out to see the Cards' window is basically closing though. I took a shine to them off and on when they started having occasional good years like in the 1998 season where they beat Troy Aikman's Cowboys in Dallas and came one shitty defensive drive from winning XLIII. That fandom is also bolstered by Louisiana ties with them having Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu in their secondary.

I don't like it when they play each other though cuz they're basically #2 and #2.1 for me in the NFC so I hate seeing either lose when either of them winning wouldn't adversely affect the Saints' playoff prospects.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1600 on: October 30, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »
Crazy stat that Stafford has only had 7 games where his RB has over 100 yards. He's also on of the most sacked QB's. I was disappointed that Michaels and Collinsworth seemed to blame that more on the RB's than the O-line. You put Abdullah behind a strong O-line and he'd be a top 5 RB.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1601 on: October 30, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
There are certainly delays with regards to how the broadcast gets to you.  I know there are several seconds between CATV and OTA broadcasts. I stream games via P2P and I'm usually a couple of minutes behind. That's not the same as a broadcast delay, where somebody's got 7 seconds to dump the audio after a drunken Al Michaels says "filthy cunt whore" live on the air. However, now that I think about it, after the tragic events of 2/1/04 I'm pretty sure there's a mandated delay.

NEVER FORGET!

JT and JJ halftime show?
That should be etched into your brain. Why do you hate America so much?

That got an honest to goodness laugh out loud.  Joke of the week, so far. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1602 on: October 30, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »

This league is becoming more of a joke each year. I stopped watching that game some time in the first half... was Suh ejected after the second unnecessary roughness penalty since it was his second personal foul?

This league is almost as random as the scoring in my roulette.  I swear, Roger Goodell makes decisions with a 12-sided Dungeons and Dragons cube.   

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1603 on: October 30, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
I agree 100%. I also thought it was completely corrupt how they seemingly gave the Bears a makeup call by calling facemasking on a play where replay revealed that the flag was thrown when no Saints player was within 1 yard of the receiver.

I think it was after the break, the commentators showed that the face mask was called on the wrong player and then showed where it happened. There actually was one, the refs just blew the player number.

To make things worse, they are trying to save Zach Miller's leg right now. Artery damage and he may lose it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1604 on: October 30, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
Dude. That is terrible. I really hope this isn't as bad as they think and that he recovers fully. No one should ever come out that bad from a play like that no matter how bad it looked.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1605 on: October 30, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
I saw that Zach Miller play and it looked nasty like the bone snapped.  It's not actually broken?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1606 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
I saw that Zach Miller play and it looked nasty like the bone snapped.  It's not actually broken?

He dislocated his knee and then they discovered that he also tore an artery. He had emergency vascular surgery where they grafted in a vein from his other leg in an attempt to save the bad one. Word right now is that the surgery was successful but he is not out of the woods yet.

I would guess his career is probably over at 33 after this, either way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1607 on: October 30, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
Damn, what a shame if it turns out to be career ending.  Sucks that the booth review took away the TD too.  It looks like he controlled the ball all the way to the ground and then set the ball down afterward.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1608 on: October 30, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
That Calvin Johnson rule needs to go. So many catches have been overturned by it. Zach was never going to stand up after that catch. He put the ball down after rolling over with it and they take the TD away. Just a dumb rule.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1609 on: October 30, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »
SF is acquiring Garoppolo for a 2nd round pick. Interesting.