Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 214234 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1365 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
While I'm certainly happy to see the Giant's season collapse out from under them, it's a shame to see ODB2 go down. Always a loss when somebody so exciting goes out.

He's a good player but highly immature.  Maybe the injury will humble him and give him time to grow up a little.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1366 on: October 11, 2017, 10:42:44 AM »

I don't hate Tomlin. Much of the fan base despises him, but the answer is yes. The problem, in this case, lies at the top. I hope he gets it figured out soon.

I think, at this point, Tomlin is who he is as a coach.  Like Colin Cowherd often says, the Steelers under him are never "buttoned up."  Heck, Roethlisberger has taken several indirect shots at him in the past year.  I think Ben is frustrated at seeing his last years play out on a team that often looks unprepared and/or unfocused.

Tomlin is Haley's boss, so yeah... And I don't mean to harp on Haley, but seriously, there is valid criticism for him at this point.

I think the coaches, starting with Tomlin, are too worried about keeping Antonio Brown happy.  He throws that tantrum last week, and boom, gets 19 targets the following game. Between his FB nonsense last year in the playoffs and his tantrum last week, Brown gets away with everything, and Tomlin refuses to do anything to get him to knock it off. Can you imagine a player pulling that nonsense under Belichick??

I miss Bill Cowher. He wasn't anymore successful than Tomlin has been, but I prefer how he handled these kinds of situations. He was too much of a hard-ass to allow these kinds of things.

That being said, I do believe it's within Tomlin's power to right the ship. When jobs get put on the line it could be the perfect situation to see what he's made of.

Couple of things. First off, I think Ben is frustrated with several things Steelers-related at the moment. Tomlin is one, AB is definitely one. And I think he's clearly frustrated with himself, and rightfully so. Second, it should be clear to most at this point that AB is a distraction at best, a locker room cancer at worst and has zero interest in winning, only interest in his own gain. How many SBs have the Steelers won with AB? Oh yeah, none... and they clearly don't look like they are on the brink of doing so. And lastly, no way Cowher would have put up with this stuff, but that said, every coach is different and handles these things differently.

Imagine if Cowher had a QB the caliber of Roethlisberger for all of his career like Tomlin has.  I am actually shocked he hasn't made the Hall of Fame yet.

Bingo. Cowher had years and years of horrible talent to work with at QB (Slash!!), if Bill had Ben through the entirety of Ben's career I'd wager Ben would have possibly 4 championships at this point rather than 2. And in terms of championships, 4 is way, way more than 2.

I hold a very unpopular opinion when it comes to the qb's that the team had prior to Ben while under Cowher. I don't think that they are as bad as most people think. Neil O'Donnell was a great fit for the team, and if he hadn't left after the super bowl season I believe that they would have went to another.

As far as Kordell Stewart goes, yes he was a disappointment, but he played mvp caliber football the year that Tom Brady emerged and beat them in the afc championship.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1367 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
I hold a very unpopular opinion when it comes to the qb's that the team had prior to Ben while under Cowher. I don't think that they are as bad as most people think. Neil O'Donnell was a great fit for the team, and if he hadn't left after the super bowl season I believe that they would have went to another.

As far as Kordell Stewart goes, yes he was a disappointment, but he played mvp caliber football the year that Tom Brady emerged and beat them in the afc championship.

Fair points. I wasn't a fan of Neil and outside of that one really killer year, Stewart was average at best. But good point about Brady, I forget sometimes that he's been killing the Steelers for that long. That was what, 15 or 16  years ago?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1368 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »

Fair points. I wasn't a fan of Neil and outside of that one really killer year, Stewart was average at best. But good point about Brady, I forget sometimes that he's been killing the Steelers for that long. That was what, 15 or 16  years ago?

Off the top of my head, I want to say it was January 2002. It was the game after the infamous tuck rule game between the Raiders and patriots. I could have the year wrong, though. I think the steelers had a really great record in the regular season that year.

Something else that sticks in mind about that game is that Jerome Bettis got a pain injection just prior to kick off, and whoever gave it to him screwed up and hit an artery. He couldn't play that day.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1369 on: October 11, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »
Googled it. We were close, it was 2001. 2002 was the year he got benched for big bad Tommy Maddox.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1370 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
Cowher had years and years of horrible talent to work with at QB (Slash!!), if Bill had Ben through the entirety of Ben's career I'd wager Ben would have possibly 4 championships at this point rather than 2. And in terms of championships, 4 is way, way more than 2.

I think a big part of Ben bemoans not having a great coach for most of his career. He was spoiled by Cowher early on, and now it is galling for him to play the Patriots and see them always get taken apart because they are so always so well coached and prepared.  He has to be thinking, "Dang, what if I had had that coach for my whole career."

I don't have anything against Tomlin, though I don't like his "wolf pack" mentality as a coach, but this is where coaching comes into play.   Would you rather have Yngwie - really, REALLY good at one thing, and pretty much one thing only, or would you rather have Steve Morse or Steve Howe - very good at most everything in that context.   I think Tomlin is a Super Bowl coach when everything aligns for him.  Players are healthy, no controversy, etc.   I think Cowher is a Super Bowl coach even when NOTHING is aligning for him.

Agreed.  I mean, Cowher got to a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell as his QB and was thisclose to beating the Cowboys dynasty in that Super Bowl (if not for said QB throwing a horrible pick at the end). 

Yep, and he was really good in '97 until they lost to the Broncos in the AFCCG. 

Shoot, they lost that game in '01 thanks to the Patriots getting a blocked FG for a TD (that was possibly an illegal forward lateral) and a punt return for a TD. 

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1371 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »
While I'm certainly happy to see the Giant's season collapse out from under them, it's a shame to see ODB2 go down. Always a loss when somebody so exciting goes out.

He's a good player but highly immature.  Maybe the injury will humble him and give him time to grow up a little.

As a Giants fan and watching him from the beginning I’d be shocked if this humbled him at all. This guys talent is through the roof, but unfortunately he has gotten more and more immature over time. He is all about himself and he has proved that time and time again. I blame the coaches as well as from the time he became a Giant they have let this guy do whatever the hell he wants with no consequences and at this point I really feel like he’s too far gone to change.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1372 on: October 12, 2017, 06:18:12 PM »
I just seen that Zeke Elliot lost his court case, and will start a 6 game suspension. Any thoughts on what this might mean for the team? I haven't seen any Cowboys games this year, and I have no idea how good of a season he's having.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
I just seen that Zeke Elliot lost his court case, and will start a 6 game suspension. Any thoughts on what this might mean for the team? I haven't seen any Cowboys games this year, and I have no idea how good of a season he's having.
He's already appealing it again. They're on a bye this week, and it would not surprise me to see the suspension put on hold all over again. It's all up in the air right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1374 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
Carson Wentz is really good and is just gonna get better.

Cam Newton is still a crappy passer.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »
An ugly win but 5-1 is awesome!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1376 on: October 12, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »
Cam Newton is still a crappy passer.
And a loser. That's a terrible combination. When things turn South he resigns himself, rather than getting fired up and trying to take the game back. Most quarterbacks would be really embarrassed about that last drive. Doubt he thinks much of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1377 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
Yep, unless the refs called another chicken shit PI against Philly on either of those last two drives, I didn't think for a second that Newton would lead them down the field for a TD.  He was just chucking passes all over, with seemingly no clue how to run a 2-minute offense.  He is so easy to root against. I still take great pleasure in the Broncos having won that Super Bowl early last year by knocking the crap out of Newton, making him curl up like a sissy for that fumble, and then seeing him act like a crybaby in the post-game presser. So satisfying. :coolio :hat

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1378 on: October 13, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
LOL Panthers.  They had that game in the bag.  Superman strikes again.  Nothing more boring than watching the Beagles win.   :\ :yeahright
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1379 on: October 13, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
Yep, unless the refs called another chicken shit PI against Philly on either of those last two drives, I didn't think for a second that Newton would lead them down the field for a TD.  He was just chucking passes all over, with seemingly no clue how to run a 2-minute offense.  He is so easy to root against. I still take great pleasure in the Broncos having won that Super Bowl early last year by knocking the crap out of Newton, making him curl up like a sissy for that fumble, and then seeing him act like a crybaby in the post-game presser. So satisfying. :coolio :hat

I couldn't have expressed my feelings on the matter any better than that.  Perfectly said.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1380 on: October 13, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
Yup. He should probably understand WTF a "rowt" is before he busts someone else's chops.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1381 on: October 13, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
Cam in the post game presser:

"It's funny hearing female reporters talk about interceptions."

Okay, not really, but you can picture it. :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1382 on: October 13, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
On Sunday, Russel Wilson through what should have been a game winning pick-six. He chased the guy down nearly 70 yards to save the game. Nobody could imagine Cam Newton doing that, boy has no heart, but more important is that the idea wouldn't even occur to him. He's just not a good football player.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1383 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:25 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1384 on: October 13, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1385 on: October 15, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Man, without St. Rogers I reckon Green Bay is a 4-12 team. They better hope he's alright.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Man, without St. Rogers Edelman I reckon Green Bay New England is a 4-12 team. 

Apparently.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1387 on: October 15, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
I would ask if Edelman plays defense, but it appears as if no one on New England plays defense this year. :lol

The injury to Rodgers sucks.  Hate to see the best player in the league get hurt.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1388 on: October 15, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »

Apparently.
Edelman's not their problem. Least of their concerns. They're undisciplined as fuck. That's their problem.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1389 on: October 15, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
That McCown pass to burn Butler was a thing of beauty.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1390 on: October 15, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »

Apparently.
Edelman's not their problem. Least of their concerns. They're undisciplined as fuck. That's their problem.

Yeah, I was just playing on words. They are a total f'n mess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: October 15, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
I haven't seen a Pats defense not disciplined like this in a long,  long.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1392 on: October 15, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
I haven't seen a Pats defense not disciplined like this in a long,  long.
When 2 yard runs always become 7 yard runs because you miss tackles you're going to lose every time. Miscommunications in the secondary are going to happen. Sometimes a QB/WR are going to burn you. These things happen. That's why you can't afford to give up plays by blowing the easy stuff.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1393 on: October 15, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Officials are on their side today, though.

Picked up a flag on a helmet to helmet that halted a Jets drive that could have given them a 3-score lead.

And just called a bull shit PI on the Jets in the end zone that basically gifted them 7.

Yay for the NFL. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1394 on: October 15, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
Right. If they lose, they definitely can't bitch about the officials. At least not at this point.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1395 on: October 15, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »
The injury to Rodgers sucks.  Hate to see the best player in the league get hurt.
It does suck indeed. It really bugged me though that there was even a conversation about whether the hit should have been a penalty. It was a clean hit that the player followed through until the QB was down. Rogers was obviously upset about it. It bugs me so much how QBs are babied and how much they expect the be babied.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1396 on: October 15, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Another great call by the officials! ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1397 on: October 15, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Looks like Kraft is calling in some "you owe me" favors.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: October 15, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »

What is this Chinese you're speaking?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1399 on: October 15, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »