Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 214276 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1295 on: October 04, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
LOL Dallas was at #6 last week because Dak is the real deal.  This week they are out of the top 10 because the defense had a bad 2nd half against a good offense. :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1296 on: October 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
Dallas wasn't at number 6 because Prescott was the real deal; that was merely my comment for the week about him.

He is still the real deal, but their defense is not good, and with the offense not able to dominate TOP like last year, they are being exposed big time.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1297 on: October 04, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20916366/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-laughs-female-reporter-media-session

Just reinforces further to me that Newton is a clown, and doesn't get it. And I don't fully mean the gender thing, take that where you will. If I was in that room, I would have liked to sarcastically say (and would have lost a job) ~yeah Cam, routes, like the ones you don't study for your players. It's funny to hear you scoff at hearing about routes, because you have only finished one out of 6 of your years hitting routes above 60%. How will your WRs keep you above 60% completion for the rest of the year?~

Cam doesn't get it in regard to being mature on a public stage. He still strikes me as fool who relies on his perceived natural skill set vs. fundamentals.
---

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1298 on: October 05, 2017, 06:51:55 AM »
Dallas wasn't at number 6 because Prescott was the real deal; that was merely my comment for the week about him.

He is still the real deal, but their defense is not good, and with the offense not able to dominate TOP like last year, they are being exposed big time.

Prescott is a good quarter back who had a break out year because they had the best O-Line in the NFL. That's not the case this year.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1299 on: October 05, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20916366/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-laughs-female-reporter-media-session

Just reinforces further to me that Newton is a clown, and doesn't get it. And I don't fully mean the gender thing, take that where you will. If I was in that room, I would have liked to sarcastically say (and would have lost a job) ~yeah Cam, routes, like the ones you don't study for your players. It's funny to hear you scoff at hearing about routes, because you have only finished one out of 6 of your years hitting routes above 60%. How will your WRs keep you above 60% completion for the rest of the year?~

Cam doesn't get it in regard to being mature on a public stage. He still strikes me as fool who relies on his perceived natural skill set vs. fundamentals.

Yeah, Cam doesn't get it. Carolina needs to step up and strongly condemn this if not fine him. The fact that a lot of players are defending this is even worse. Solidifies my opinion that 95% of professional athletes are douchebags.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1300 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »

I've said this before and I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have to say it again:   Back about three years ago, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer were talking either at the half or at the end of the game of the week they do, and Steve Young - one of the smartest QBs in the game - said (and Trent, also no dummy, wholeheartedly agreed):  Cam doesn't know what he needs to do to be better than his pure physical ability.   (These are my words now, though they capture the spirit of the Young/Difler convo):   All the great QBs - hell, all the great players at any position - were better than just their physical skills.  PHYSICALLY, Tom Brady has no business being the GOAT.   Cam will only be as good as his physical ability against the physicality of the other team on that given Sunday, because he will NEVER have the mental edge.  He just doesn't know how to put in the work of the intangibles.

It's why they got beat in the Super Bowl, IMO.  Denver elevated, Cam and the Panthers did not. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1301 on: October 05, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »

I've said this before and I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have to say it again:   Back about three years ago, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer were talking either at the half or at the end of the game of the week they do, and Steve Young - one of the smartest QBs in the game - said (and Trent, also no dummy, wholeheartedly agreed):  Cam doesn't know what he needs to do to be better than his pure physical ability.   (These are my words now, though they capture the spirit of the Young/Difler convo):   All the great QBs - hell, all the great players at any position - were better than just their physical skills.  PHYSICALLY, Tom Brady has no business being the GOAT.   Cam will only be as good as his physical ability against the physicality of the other team on that given Sunday, because he will NEVER have the mental edge.  He just doesn't know how to put in the work of the intangibles.

It's why they got beat in the Super Bowl, IMO.  Denver elevated, Cam and the Panthers did not.

Nailed it.

He's a helluva talent, but as soon as that begins to decline he'll become a salary cap casualty.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Cable

« Reply #1302 on: October 05, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »

Completely with you Stadler.

With the current elite QBs, or post-elite; Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and I'll put Wilson in there. All four have some natural talent, Rodgers the most- Wilson and Brees are physically short. But what sets them apart, and keeps them successful, is their knowledge and work ethic. Montana & Young are examples too.

When my boy Drew went out, and was kept out, I didn't get it and was pissed. Drew could throw the ball 50 yards without issue. It's the other stuff that Brady did, and does, that has made him successful. There is a reason he was the 199th pick-  his natural abilities, outside of his intelligence, isn't what other players are. But he knew he would be successful,  especially in the right situation like NE. And he would work hard to get there; love the Rodney Harrison story about showing up early.

Newton doesn't strike me as this type of QB, and his mobile ability which was never to the level of Vick, Cunningham or Wilson has continued to trend downward. As it does for all QBs, so he will be left to just primarily throwing soon enough.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:37:53 AM by Cable »
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: October 05, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

Nailed it.

He's a helluva talent, but as soon as that begins to decline he'll become a salary cap casualty.

Exactly right, and since he won't be good enough with the clipboard, he won't be a viable backup, even to a contending team.  He's not that guy to walk on the field cold and dominate whatever situation he's in.  He can only dominate when he's the physical superior of the guy across the line from him.  That was also, in a slightly different way, my problem with Tony Romo.  Physically as gifted as they come.  Couldn't elevate.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1304 on: October 05, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »
It is simple: when someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Cam Newton keeps showing us who he is.  This is not new.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1305 on: October 05, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
It is simple: when someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Cam Newton keeps showing us who he is.  This is not new.

Heh. I thought I was in the Sons of Apollo thread for a second. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1306 on: October 05, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »
The same can apply to those jokers as well. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: October 05, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »
All of the above is true. Let's not hang him out to dry though like scummier dirtbags who abuse women. On that scale, this comment is a 2 or a 3. And I don't even think calling him a misogynist is fair.

Also, the guy who is all bent because someone called him the N-Word at Arrowhead... when I was a (white, straight, middle-class kid), sticks and stones could break our bones but names could never hurt us.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: October 05, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
All of the above is true. Let's not hang him out to dry though like scummier dirtbags who abuse women. On that scale, this comment is a 2 or a 3. And I don't even think calling him a misogynist is fair.

Also, the guy who is all bent because someone called him the N-Word at Arrowhead... when I was a (white, straight, middle-class kid), sticks and stones could break our bones but names could never hurt us.

While I agree about sticks and stones, I don't have an issue with the player calling attention to the racist asshole.  That needs to be gone from the crowds in sporting events.  Well, it needs to be gone everywhere, but need to start in places like sporting events where there are kids and many other people.  I think others in the stands who hear this happening need to step up as well.  It's not cool to do that.  Heckle the guy all you want, I love a good heckler who tries to get under players skin at sport events, but racism is not cool or funny and while it may actually be effective on distracting the player, it's flat out wrong.  Call the person out for that I say.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: October 05, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
Cam Newton has been in the league since 2011. He has probably been asked hundreds of questions over the years, especially during the MVP/SB season.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the first time that a female reporter brought up routes and it completely threw him off guard.

Not condoning anything. Just trying to look at all angles.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1310 on: October 05, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
How did Stadler hijack DOC's account?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: October 05, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »

I was the resident contrarian before Stadler made it cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1312 on: October 05, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

I was the resident contrarian before Stadler made it cool.

You were cool before it became contrary.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: October 05, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
Cam Newton has been in the league since 2011. He has probably been asked hundreds of questions over the years, especially during the MVP/SB season.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the first time that a female reporter brought up routes and it completely threw him off guard.

Not condoning anything. Just trying to look at all angles.

I dont think he should have said that in that forum, but I personally don't find it that big of a deal.  I feel like I did something similar not too long ago when Stadler Axeman and I were having a beer and a few females came by and we started talking and they were going to the Iron Maiden concert as well, and I was like "wow some females who like Maiden".  I guess I am a sexist or something, but it surprised me.  Not that they don't exist, but I hadn't really come across any in conversation before.  Sort of like how Cam probably hadn't gotten asked about routes from a female before.  You got to know your audience, and he should know that anything that can be taken as a slight will be taken so, so I think there is fault on him here, but I don't think it should be a big uproar personally.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1314 on: October 05, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
But you're at a bar right next to where Maiden is playing. Seems like some girls would go there before the show, no? I think the amazing thing was that a group of girls stopped to talk to you clowns! :P

Cam knows who this person was. He was being his usual douche self.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1315 on: October 05, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
She's a professional trying to do a job.  I see many women sports writers that know the game better than I.

Like Tim said.  Douche move.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1316 on: October 05, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
The way he laughed at her was far more insulting than what he actually said.

It's not the crime of the century, but just another example of what a tool Newton is.

As for the game tonight, Winston is awful, but Doug Martin is looking great.  Little surprised that the Patriots offense isn't doing better so far.  Brady is getting hit a lot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1317 on: October 05, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
The Patriots have issues people.. O line. D Line. LB's. Secondary. No Edelman.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1318 on: October 05, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
Yeah the O line looks porous.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: October 05, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Speaking of porous, there are no words for how bad Winston has been tonight.  He looks like hot garbage.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1320 on: October 05, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »
hot garbage.

Sounds like a good name for a punk band...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1321 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
There wasn't a red jersey within 12 yards of where Winston unloaded that pass to avoid the safety. Sure liked like grounding to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1322 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
LOL does Folk know how to choke or what? Game should be tied right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1323 on: October 05, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
Gotta feel bad for the TB defense. They've played a great game, but are gonna lose because Winston sucks and their kicker couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1324 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
Come to think of it, TB left another 7 on the field when #84 dropped that TD pass in the end zone. Between that and if Bill O'Brien had any balls NE could have easily been 1-4 after this game. Crazy.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1325 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:05 PM »
I still think the front seven is the bigger problem, but somewhere along the line the NE secondary decided it'd be more fun to hit people than actually tackle them. Too many big play YAKs because Chung and Rowe bounce off of receivers instead of wrapping them up. Between that, shoddy tackling up front, and stupid penalties it just reeks of Indiscipline. Wouldn't mind seeing somebody from this team start their next game for Cleveland.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1326 on: October 06, 2017, 06:53:50 AM »
I still think the front seven is the bigger problem, but somewhere along the line the NE secondary decided it'd be more fun to hit people than actually tackle them. Too many big play YAKs because Chung and Rowe bounce off of receivers instead of wrapping them up. Between that, shoddy tackling up front, and stupid penalties it just reeks of Indiscipline. Wouldn't mind seeing somebody from this team start their next game for Cleveland.

And Nick Folk wishes he was good enough to start for Cleveland.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: October 06, 2017, 07:23:46 AM »
Times have changed.   

I was a security guard at the Hartford Civic Center when I was in college.   The Los Angeles Kings came to the Civic Center to play the Whale, and I had the privilege (I guess?) of working the locker room for the Kings.   I remember the "pack" of reporters circling around Gretsky*, and after he left, circling around I think it was Mario Gosselin (don't quote me on that; it was a French Canadian is all I remember) and he was facing one direction, standing nude, talking to about five or six reporters, with another five or six behind him.   One of the reporters behind him asked a question and he turned, and in doing so, was face-to-face with a female reporter.  As he turned, you could see him with a  gym sock on his penis, ala The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  To her credit, she kept eyes up and didn't register, but I can imagine that there are fewer jobs harder than being a female "side-line" (i.e. on the spot) reporter covering sports like football and hockey that are to date very male-oriented sports. 

* Gretzky taught me something.  Well, two things:  one, he WAS "The Greatest".  I played hockey up into college, and I was lucky enough to see Bossy, Lemieaux, Messier, and Howe (among others) and I have watched hundreds of hours of game tape, and watching him play was like watched Usain Bolt run against nine senior citizens from the old folks home.  He was literally playing a different game.    Two, at that level, you don't operate like "everyone else".   He was first back into the locker room, and knew he was the guy that everyone wanted to talk to, so he made sure he was showered and dressed before most of his team even had their jerseys off, and answered what I'm sure he has been asked 1000 times before as if it was both the best question he's ever gotten and the first time he's ever gotten it.   Blown away by how professional and how prepared he was for not only the game, but also the environment of being "The Greatest".   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1328 on: October 06, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
Yeah, years later I'm still kind of bitter my application to be a Women's Tennis Association locker-room reporter was rejected. Feminist swine.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1329 on: October 06, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »
In fairness, I tried to tell you that uncontrolled drooling while handing in the application was not a good look.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."