Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211768 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #560 on: May 27, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
I'm not really worried about the score so much as I'm concerned with how they end up at the end (win/loss) result. Maybe any stats that are gained after regulation should come with an asterisk, or separated in some manner?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #561 on: May 27, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
I'm not crazy about the college method for the reasons mentioned. It should come down to the playing of football. Might as well flip a coin if you're going to abandon the rules of the game. At the same time, nobody likes ties. Despite wanting to sport argue about it, even BF would most likely be in that camp. The league should be trying to move away from them rather than making them more likely.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #562 on: May 27, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »
I was slightly confused by your wording but it seemed like you were implying I don't like ties. If so, then that's not my stance. I'm not saying I want teams to go 8-3-5 as a final season record but I really enjoy the uniqueness of them. I started watching the NFL in 1988 and saw a tie in 1989 and missed the lone one from 1988. After that, the league had its longest tie drought ever which lasted until 1997. I'd usually be pulling for ties in OT games I was watching if the outcome would have no immediate impact on the Saints. I find it intriguing how no two players on the same team ever seem to have identical feelings after a loss. Some are mildly put off, some almost seem to laugh at the odd feeling of not knowing how to feel, some are pissed and disappointed. You just don't get that out of a win or loss.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
I had spent 8 years of my life ('89-'97) in Eagles country (Eastern PA). So I had a lot of friends who were Eagle fans. Being from Maryland originally, I immediately became a Ravens fan when we stole the Browns. So naturally, my eyes lit up with the NFL released their 1997 schedule and learned that the Ravens would be playing (in the regular season) for the first time. That turned into months of trash talk and such with the friends. Then the day finally came.. and we could not wait to see who would win....

a 10-10 tie..... totally unfulfilling.

I actually had to wait until 2008 to finally see the Ravens beat the Eagles, but the Super Bowl win that I enjoyed between those games made everything else well worth it.

I don't like ties, but agree that they're useful in lowering the chances of identical records, and relying on a list of tiebreaking scenarios. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
I was slightly confused by your wording but it seemed like you were implying I don't like ties. If so, then that's not my stance. I'm not saying I want teams to go 8-3-5 as a final season record but I really enjoy the uniqueness of them. I started watching the NFL in 1988 and saw a tie in 1989 and missed the lone one from 1988. After that, the league had its longest tie drought ever which lasted until 1997. I'd usually be pulling for ties in OT games I was watching if the outcome would have no immediate impact on the Saints. I find it intriguing how no two players on the same team ever seem to have identical feelings after a loss. Some are mildly put off, some almost seem to laugh at the odd feeling of not knowing how to feel, some are pissed and disappointed. You just don't get that out of a win or loss.

And I think this is what lead to many NFL players not even knowing a game can end in a tie (Was that McNabb?  :lol)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
Just saw that John Clayton was also let go from ESPN.  This commercial of his for ESPN is classic IMO (and well kind of relates to the musical theme of this forum) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL69SXxPmXo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #566 on: May 31, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
One of the best commercials they ever did!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
John "The Professor" Clayton is local here, so I forget he was part of ESPN's staff too. He has a daily radio show here, which you might be able to get on Sirius or something like that, if you are a fan of his. Aside from his impeccable knowledge of football, he has a wonderful wit and is a pleasure to listen to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #568 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
I just read that the station he's on in Seattle was once affiliated with ESPN but isn't anymore. His thank you was a display of grace. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: May 31, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »
It has just gotten so bad at ISPN (the I is for 'Idiotic' or 'Immature'). 

Here's a  :facepalm:

"Dallas Cowboys Cornerback Nolan Carroll was arrested by Dallas police for driving while intoxicated early Monday morning.  Dallas police said an officer pulled Carroll over for driving the wrong way on McKinney Avenue after leaving Sidebar in Uptown.

A "welcome to Dallas party" was being thrown for Carroll, according to social media posts. Sidebar is about a half-mile from Carroll's arrest location."

Yes, indeed.  That is one welcome party he'll never forget.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #570 on: May 31, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
In all fairness everybody's driven the wrong way down McKinney Ave at some point in their lives. I'm not saying he wasn't fucked up, but this isn't like those people who go the wrong way down a highway entrance ramp and kill a family of 17. It's one-way in places, two-way in places, with trolley tracks down the middle in other places. All the streets run at angles and occasionally double back onto themselves. I've lived here 46 years and I avoid that whole area like the plague because I always get turned around and turn a 5 minute trip into 20.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: June 09, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: June 09, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
He still has another hand.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #573 on: June 10, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
This is how it's done.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: June 10, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
Champion Brass knuckles. :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #575 on: June 10, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
I'd get right in there.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2017, 07:26:08 PM »
The ring has 283 diamonds in it. Subtle but clever.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #578 on: June 10, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
 :rollin for the record I'm a Pats hater obviously but I still respect their greatness... just had to throw that one in there  :millahhhh

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: June 10, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »

As usual, it's the small details.   
:rollin for the record I'm a Pats hater obviously but I still respect their greatness... just had to throw that one in there  :millahhhh

Giggity.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #580 on: June 10, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
The good news for me is that I should be able to make a good dent in my beer cellar this season, as the Jets roster should be driving me to the bottle early and often on Sundays.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: June 10, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »
The good news for me is that I should be able to make a good dent in my beer cellar this season, as the Jets roster should be driving me to the bottle early and often on Sundays.

I say let's go to a Pats game this year. Just for the tailgating.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #582 on: June 10, 2017, 10:06:18 PM »
I sure hope the Patriots send Kyle Shanahan a ring since they don't win the game without his moronic play calling.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: June 10, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »
No team should ever reward weakness.  Same with Pete Carroll.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #584 on: June 11, 2017, 04:13:31 AM »

0-16 here we come!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #585 on: June 11, 2017, 09:57:57 AM »

As usual, it's the small details.   

What are you guys talking about out? I missed it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: June 11, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
Pats were down 28-3 and made the biggest come back in Superbowl history.   Hence 283 diamonds.

Offline kaos2900

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
Classy move by the Chiefs.... not :  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19696424/jeremy-maclin-was-told-kansas-city-chiefs-release-via-voicemail

Their loss... our gain. Welcome to a much classier and more successful organization. I think that Maclin, Perriman and Wallace could prove to be a good WR corp for Flacco.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #589 on: June 21, 2017, 04:56:31 PM »
I was at work a few weeks ago when a friend texted me about KC planning to release Maclin, and my reply was, "He should go to Baltimore."  I felt smart. :P :biggrin:

Maclin went to waste on the Chiefs with Captain Checkdown at QB.  He should be great in Baltimore.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: July 02, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
Was dreading re-living the 2016 Rams season through "All or Nothing"  But found it to be really good.  MUCH better than Hard Knocks.  If anyone want to watch it just know that there is a rated and Un-Rated version :)

I actually softened on my dislike for Fisher after watching.  Guy was just so stubborn in changing his offensive philosophy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #592 on: July 02, 2017, 08:39:19 PM »
Wait, Fisher had an offensive philosophy?  Who knew?? :lol :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: July 03, 2017, 12:52:35 AM »
Wait, Fisher had an offensive philosophy?  Who knew?? :lol :lol

Yup!  Right outta the 1985 Bears Playbook!!  :lol

Offline KevShmev