Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211817 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #665 on: August 02, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »
My gut tells me that Kaepernick ends up on the Ravens in the next few days. 

When you look at Flacco's play since 2012 (he has been shitty), improving the QB position should be a priority.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #666 on: August 02, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »
It is a good fit.  He can back up but my have the opportunity to start if Flacco's injury is serious.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #667 on: August 03, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »
It is a good fit. 

But is it really?  Do they play anything close to the style of offense that he needs to have a chance at being successful?  That, IMO, is the biggest impediment to him getting signed, even apart from the baggage.  S.F.'s system under Harbaugh was designed to play to his strengths, and while he was able to hold it together, he thrived in that system.  But outside of a system like that, he seems to really struggle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
The Ravens have always been flexible in tgeir offens. They could work with him.  Part of his decline was that e wasn't put in a good position when Harbaugh left.

His brother is as good a coach.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
It is a good fit. 

But is it really?  Do they play anything close to the style of offense that he needs to have a chance at being successful?  That, IMO, is the biggest impediment to him getting signed, even apart from the baggage.  S.F.'s system under Harbaugh was designed to play to his strengths, and while he was able to hold it together, he thrived in that system.  But outside of a system like that, he seems to really struggle.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not sure how critical that is. When someone first brought it up I immediately thought of Jacoby Brisset. He's a lot closer to Kaep than he is Brady. Garoppolo seems to be a midpoint between them. NE is not going to run the same sort of offense if Brisset has to play. And there are other examples of this, as well. The Patriots started a game last year with Edleman as their backup QB. They've started games without the requisite number of O-linemen. Your gameplan reflects the tools at your disposal. I realize that Harbaugh is no Belichick, but he might well top the list of non-Belichick/Carroll coaches. He's perfectly capable of fielding a team that can improvise and change styles as the situation dictates.

edit: Expansion of King's ninja post.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
Okay.  But even if you are right (and I'm not necessarily saying you are--I still think CK's skill set is too limited for him to fit into an offense that is not specifically crafted to cater to that skill set), that still doesn't equate to "he is a good fit."  It more equates to, "he can be made to fit if the situation is dire enough that it necessitates him playing."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
Okay.  But even if you are right (and I'm not necessarily saying you are--I still think CK's skill set is too limited for him to fit into an offense that is not specifically crafted to cater to that skill set), that still doesn't equate to "he is a good fit."  It more equates to, "he can be made to fit if the situation is dire enough that it necessitates him playing."
You certainly might be right there. I'm not sure. Most teams don't value player flexibility the way NE does. That said, I've always thought having a different style backup is an asset. Nobody would want Kaep to have to finish the last 7 games of the season. Coming in in the second quarter, however, might be a good role, though. Think Vick coming in for the injured Kolb. Remember that the defense as to adjust and adapt just like the offense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #672 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »
It is a good fit. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not sure how critical that is. When someone first brought it up I immediately thought of Jacoby Brisset. He's a lot closer to Kaep than he is Brady. Garoppolo seems to be a midpoint between them. NE is not going to run the same sort of offense if Brisset has to play. And there are other examples of this, as well. The Patriots started a game last year with Edleman as their backup QB. They've started games without the requisite number of O-linemen. Your gameplan reflects the tools at your disposal. I realize that Harbaugh is no Belichick, but he might well top the list of non-Belichick/Carroll coaches. He's perfectly capable of fielding a team that can improvise and change styles as the situation dictates.

edit: Expansion of King's ninja post.

No argument with any of that, but I'm still of the opinion that until it happens (and we may be close, I'll give you that) that style of QB is awesome the first time through the league, and not so awesome second through infinity.   Cam Newton was stopped when he needed to be, Kaepernick was stopped when he needed to be, Wilson (who can play "Brady" better than either Newton or Kaepernick combined) was stopped when he needed to be...  Brady was not.    You look at that list of QBs, and while you can quibble with individual rankings, there are a TON of QBs in the mold of Johnny U, there are, essentially, none in the mold of Randall Cunningham. 

I think there is some incentive; I can see Jim calling John and raving about the kid, but I think, generally, if they do that, it's not a good move.  I think we're seeing the real Kaepernick over the past couple seasons, and not in that one glorious, "oh-so-close" season.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: August 03, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Yup.  In this day and age the defense are so big and so fast that running QB's can get hurt easily.   That's why Brady is so healthy,  recognition and getting the ball out of his hands quickly.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: August 03, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
A lot of people seem to think that if the Ravens sign Kaepernick, they hate America and should be boycotted.
A lot of people seem to think that if the Ravens don't sign Kaepernick, they hate him for protesting peacfully.

Ravens owner feels like he cannot win either way.

People have been very vocal on both sides of the fence, while most of us "sane" folks aren't on one of the extreme sides of the fence.

Owner is a self-made billionaire and is checking on a lot of different things before deciding one way or the other, as any smart business man shoul.d

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #675 on: August 03, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK

:tdwn :-[
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: August 03, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
DOC,  completely agree.  I also think that the past history with some players is making the owner hesitate as well.  Miami now seems like they need Kap more.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: August 03, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
I'm curious how that Castro shirt would go over in Miami.

Dolphins seem to think Tannehill will be okay, so that's great.

And apparently Kaepernick's GF tweeted a pic of Ravend owner and Ray Lewis, comparing them to DiCaprio and Jackson's characters in Django. Not a good look.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: August 03, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
Damn she is the one that's brainwashed him to be this political.  It's ruining his career.  His message could be better but it's very harsh.  That's what got Schilling fired from ESPN (Not that there is another story about ESPN's leanings) but you've got to have a different message than the way Kap and his girlfriend are doing.

Unless of course he wants that more than his football career though it seems he's still trying to play.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #679 on: August 03, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
Damn she is the one that's brainwashed him to be this political.  It's ruining his career.

Yep. Normally, I'm skeptical of the whole "girlfriend/wife made him do this" thing, but in this situation, if you do a little digging, you'll connect the dots. She's...a piece of work. I'll leave it at that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #680 on: August 03, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
Meh...

Whether you agree with his views, or not. He's a grown man with a college education. He's fully aware of, and completely responsible for his words and actions. The only thing that a significant other can do is reinforce a belief/view that you already have before hand.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #681 on: August 03, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
I'm just ready for some football.  Couldn't care less about all the shenanigans going on.  Bring on the HOF game.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: August 03, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
Meh...

Whether you agree with his views, or not. He's a grown man with a college education. He's fully aware of, and completely responsible for his words and actions. The only thing that a significant other can do is reinforce a belief/view that you already have before hand.

The one knee down didn't bother me much.  Everything else did.  It's how you go about it and I just believe she brought a side he needed to hide to have a career.  We all do that moving up the corporate ladder.

I'm just ready for some football.  Couldn't care less about all the shenanigans going on.  Bring on the HOF game.  :hat

Hell yeah!! :metal

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #683 on: August 03, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »
Meh...

The one knee down didn't bother me much.  Everything else did.  It's how you go about it and I just believe she brought a side he needed to hide to have a career.  We all do that moving up the corporate ladder.

Yeah, no argument from me on that point. I know that there's a lot of things that I have to lie through my teeth about when it comes to corporate bullshit when I'm job hunting.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #684 on: August 03, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
His girlfriend got it all wrong. Ray's not a house negro. Cleary he's fixing to stab Bisciotti.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: August 03, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
 :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: August 03, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
Least he wasn't wearing the white suit that time.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: August 04, 2017, 06:52:43 AM »
Sounds like Tannehill should have gotten that surgery last Decmber.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #688 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
A lot of people seem to think that if the Ravens sign Kaepernick, they hate America and should be boycotted.
A lot of people seem to think that if the Ravens don't sign Kaepernick, they hate him for protesting peacfully.

People have been very vocal on both sides of the fence, while most of us "sane" folks aren't on one of the extreme sides of the fence.

Owner is a self-made billionaire and is checking on a lot of different things before deciding one way or the other, as any smart business man shoul.d

While he should be applauded for being transparent, Bisciotti has not handled this well.  By saying that all of sudden what the fans want matters, he has opened Pandora's Box.  Granted, the liberal media, which includes much of the sports media, loses their minds over anything that doesn't fall in line with their agenda, but it just wasn't a wise thing for Bisciotti to say.  The Ravens will now be the "bad guy" if they do not sign Kaepernick, and Bisciotti all of a sudden caring what the fans think will be the reason why.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #689 on: August 04, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
I could the rest of my life and be 100% satisfied if I don't have to hear about Kaepernick again. He's the new Tebow. Someone hire him so he can show once again how shitty he is and then we can move on. T

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #690 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
JJ buys Cowboys in 1989 for $150M.  Franchise currently worth $4.2B.  Now in the HOF.  They'll be talking about that guy 1000 years from now.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Completely that he gets in before Modell....but it is what it is....

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #692 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
Although, he hasn't figured out how to win a SB in the last 21 years, he just might be able to get one more as a cherry on top before he croaks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #693 on: August 04, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
Although, he hasn't figured out how to win a SB in the last 21 years, he just might be able to get one more as a cherry on top before he croaks.
I doubt it. He's finally managed to build a pretty good team but he still lacks the coach. Moreover, one of the key components is as yet unreliable. Zeek will likely miss some time due to suspension, and he doesn't seem to have the character to understand the problem. Michael liked to party, but he was discrete about it. You can work with that. This guy needs to be the center of attention. That will always be a problem, particularly now that the NFL likes to appear tough on discipline. About the only good thing going for them right now is that Jerry essentially runs the league, so it shouldn't be too bad.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »

While he should be applauded for being transparent, Bisciotti has not handled this well.  By saying that all of sudden what the fans want matters, he has opened Pandora's Box.  Granted, the liberal media, which includes much of the sports media, loses their minds over anything that doesn't fall in line with their agenda, but it just wasn't a wise thing for Bisciotti to say.  The Ravens will now be the "bad guy" if they do not sign Kaepernick, and Bisciotti all of a sudden caring what the fans think will be the reason why.

The fans are his consumers. He is wise to consider their wants...but yeah, probably not the best way to say it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #695 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:05 AM »
It's a dangerous precedent to set.

As for the Hall of Fame, I find it disgusting that the media is dedicating almost all talk of it this week to Jerry Jones. 

One of the greatest RBs ever (Tomlinson) is entering the Hall.

The greatest postseaosn RB ever (Terrell Davis) is entering the Hall.

A QB who lifted up two pitiful franchises, getting them both to Super Bowls, and who has one of the best STORIES ever (Kurt Warner) is entering the Hall.

But yeah, let's talk about the redneck owner who has no values and is all about the almighty dollar instead of the football legends who deserve it. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: August 05, 2017, 06:35:46 AM »
Thankfully, I've stayed away from reading the JJ stories.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #697 on: August 05, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Fuck Tomlinson too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #698 on: August 05, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
LOL, Tomlinson was a classy player through and through, so it's no surprise that Patriots fans still hate him. :biggrin: :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: August 05, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
He was a baby.

If you have no idea what the score is....if he has his helmet off, he's winning. If it's on, he's losing.

Pussy.
(Not you Kev  ;D)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol