Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211602 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #3045 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »
I agree.  Now the talk is on pro football talk Florio had a piece saying how much is Belichick worth if the Raiders QB Carr got 25 million a year?

In the old days when ProFootballTalk was NFL talk before it was bought by NBC a lot of florio's insights was from Agents in speculation is this is from Belichick's agent. Now that both coordinators I'll be coming head coaches and he traded Garoppolo Belichick has Kraft over a barrel of a gun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3046 on: January 24, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »

I think there might be something - there's smoke, there's fire - but I also think that these guys have been able to keep eyes on the prize for so long that it's going to be - dare I say - a nothingburger.   

We haven't mentioned it, but in my opinion, the biggest issue is likely Tom's reluctance to give up the ghost.   Belichick has always been a "make the change before you have to" kind of coach.  He's never really driven a player into the ground, and traded up before that happened.   I wonder if there's not a "anyone is fair game... except Brady" mentality on the team?    

Just getting back to this.

This is the entire crux of the situation. The bolded part is where Kraft steps in. It is believed that Belichick wanted to keep Garrappolo until the end of the season and make a decision at that point. If you believe the Wickersham article, and I do, Brady got antsy and got Kraft involved.

Belichick picked Jimmy G's landing spot, and the return, or lack thereof, was a middle finger to Kraft. As in, "he's gone, you happy now."

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3047 on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
I'm a follow-the-money kind of guy. I think money talks and bullshit walks. So this kind of thing almost always gives me pause:
www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/someone-reportedly-placed-a-multi-million-dollar-bet-on-the-eagles-to-win-super-bowl-lii/ar-AAv8FNq?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

What does he/she know that I don't?  Then again, what does the book know that I don't (if it is taking that bet)?   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3048 on: January 25, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
That's just such a stupid thing to do and such a stupid risk to take that I kind of hope whoever did that loses just on principle.  Anyone dumb enough to put millions on a football game deserves to lose it, in my book.  I'm kinda doubly rooting for the Pats now.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3049 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
If he's taking the Eagles to cover the spread it's a pretty safe bet. The Atlanta SB was the first time they didn't win by 3 or 4 points (6) or lose. Their super bowls are always close games. If he's betting on them to win, and it doesn't sound like they know for sure yet, it's a fool's bet. Not because the Eagles can't win, but because football is way to flaky to bet on.

The bigger point, though, is that we have no idea what 10 million means to this guy. I seriously doubt it's half his wealth or anything. More likely it's akin to one of us betting $500 or something.

Super Bowl XXXIX: Patriots 24, Eagles 21
Super Bowl XLVI: Giants 21, Patriots 17
Super Bowl XXXVIII: Patriots 32, Panthers 29
Super Bowl XXXVI: Patriots 20, Rams 17
Super Bowl XLII: Giants 17, Patriots 14
Super Bowl XLIX: Patriots 28, Seahawks 24
Super Bowl LI: Patriots 34, Falcons 28 (OT)
Eagles +5 sounds like a pretty good bet to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3050 on: January 25, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »
That article says
The referenced bettor here, by the way, picked all six 2017 World Series games correctly before cashing out with $14 million prior to Game 7. So they have a track record of success.

Sounds like a professional gambler who has plenty of money to gamble.  And yea, betting the spread on the Eagles isn't bad bet at -5 since historically these games are close with the Pats.  However, I think it's possible this is the first time the Pats win easily.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
snore

btw, going back to NE-J'ville.....

Pats had the fewest penalties since the one against the Ravens in 2011.  Ravens had six, for only 33 yards...Pats, one for five.  Quite a bit was made of the scoreboard not being in sync with the chains at the end, when Cundiff came out and hooked the FG to force OT.  As a Raven fan, the ST coach (and kicker) should have called time out, got their sh*t together, taken a breath, and then gone to OT.  btw...if Lee Evans doesn't drop/have the pass in the endzone knocked out of his hands......Ravens go to two straight SBs.

Last week:  two pass interferences called on the Jags, one obvious, the other you get the call 90% of the time at home.  The hit on Gronk:  obvious penalty.  The delay of game:  obvious.  So......that leaves TWO penalties against them, to the one of NE.

oh, and, btw.....I've watched the final 3rd down conversion run by the Patriots:  J'ville could have had two linemen called for 'illegal hands to the face'.

This from a 'bystander' (who hates NE, but respects the hell out of them).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3053 on: January 25, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020
If you just do the three things NFL fans dislike the most you'll suck in some viewers.

If it looks like a catch it's a catch. Instant replay is always wrong.
All players, fans, and concessionaires must stand, salute, and if possible tear up during the national anthem. 
Blows to the head, holding, and pass interference will no longer be flagged.

The problem is that it will still be a bunch of people not good enough to play at the pro level. College players have something to play for. NFL players are at the top of the game. These will just be guys who already had their shot and aren't good enough or aren't young enough to play at a high level. It'll fail, again, for that reason.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: January 25, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Yea I really don't get what he's trying to do.  He says the timing of the NFL's issues isn't the reasoning, but I can't think of any other reason to try this again at this time especially when he says things like all players will stand and the game will be shorter (direct shots at what people complain about the NFL).  He says it won't be a developmental league, but that's exactly what it will be because there's no reason for a player to choose to play the XFL over the NFL.  I can't believe he is spending 100 million of his own money.  He's got balls, I'll give him that, but what a waste of money.  I do think the idea of payment based upon winning is interesting though.  That won't make the league special, but is an interesting way to deal with how players are paid and gives some more incentive than the payoff money players already make.  Also, all teams are owned by him.  Might as well be VXL.  I like Vince overall, but this is so stupid IMO.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
Just watched "Tom vs. Time" part 1 on Facebook.  It's an infomercial but I dug it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3056 on: January 25, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
"What would you do if you could reimagine the game of football?" Vince asks. I think Barto has is right. And boobies. Their biggest failing, aside from not giving teams enough time to practice before the season started, was thumbing their noses at the NFL and its fans. Even the slightest football fan out there follows the NFL and never wanted an alternative. If they embraced those fans and said "Hey here's something to watch in the off-season" they might have had better luck.

Anyway, I hate the two weeks before the SB. And I probably post that every single year at this time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3057 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
Yea I really don't get what he's trying to do.  He says the timing of the NFL's issues isn't the reasoning, but I can't think of any other reason to try this again at this time especially when he says things like all players will stand and the game will be shorter (direct shots at what people complain about the NFL).  He says it won't be a developmental league, but that's exactly what it will be because there's no reason for a player to choose to play the XFL over the NFL.  I can't believe he is spending 100 million of his own money.  He's got balls, I'll give him that, but what a waste of money.  I do think the idea of payment based upon winning is interesting though.  That won't make the league special, but is an interesting way to deal with how players are paid and gives some more incentive than the payoff money players already make.  Also, all teams are owned by him.  Might as well be VXL.  I like Vince overall, but this is so stupid IMO.
That is interesting, but not hugely important to the product. The will to win is why people compete. If you and I agree to play a round of darts in some pub somewhere we're both going to try like hell to win. Are we going to try harder if somebody's bankrolling us? It'll add pressure but not incentive. It'll do two things here. It'll prompt people to take extra risks, either avoiding or laying on a hit. And it'll cause discord in the lockerroom. How is some washed up arena league player going to react when he loses a paycheck because an idiot safety takes out two defenders and allows a game-winning touchdown? Neither of these will improve the level of competition.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3058 on: January 25, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
I couldn't be the least bit interested. I never even paid any attention to the XFL.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3059 on: January 25, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »
Just watched "Tom vs. Time" part 1 on Facebook.  It's an infomercial but I dug it.

Joe, is there a link to this? Where the F do I find it?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: January 25, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
Facebook. You are shit out of luck old man.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3061 on: January 25, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
Facebook. You are shit out of luck old man.

Tim vs Time!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3062 on: January 25, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Seriously. :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3063 on: January 25, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
Regarding the XFL, I'll watch it (it is football after all and I enjoy watching the sport), and I'm honestly interested in the idea of a simplified game (because too many games in the NFL these days are decided by a referee's interpretation of the complicated rulebook instead of by the players on the field and the coaches on the sideline), but I can't see this being hugely successful. It might reach the same level of success as the Arena Football League, but expecting it to be anything more than that is probably asking too much.

The big thing is that the XFL proves to be sustainable this time around, while it won't be competition to the NFL (let's face it, the NFL is an unstoppable machine), it will be an alternative for fans to watch alongside the NFL and more importantly, will be a place for guys to get work and maybe get a second chance to prove themselves. While it won't be a global juggernaut like the NFL or like Vince's primary money maker WWE, the XFL could prove to be a good thing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: January 26, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »
Other than calling "bullshit" on the idea that Vince isn't timing this against the ills facing the NFL - he'd be even more of a knucklehead if he DIDN'T - I'm kind of parked with el Barto on this. It's minor league football, and isn't going to be that different than what we've seen before, it's just going to pander to a different subset of the viewing public.   (Though I do think they're going to run afoul on the idea that a more violent game is going to be a long-term winner; we still haven't seen the whole "CTE" thing peak). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: January 26, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
And it'll cause discord in the lockerroom. How is some washed up arena league player going to react when he loses a paycheck because an idiot safety takes out two defenders and allows a game-winning touchdown? Neither of these will improve the level of competition.

Yea, didn't even think about this.  He could be trying to add a reality TV spin to this, who knows.  Vince knows a lot about creating drama. 

Vince also said they won't have any players with a criminal background.  Which I think also is directed at the NFL.  Also lowers his talent pool. 

What I do think could work for them is broadcasting rights.  Right now, with everyone buying content for streaming, Vince may be able to sell this to a Netflix for example.  Think outside the box on how to broadcast his games to a new generation of people who aren't watching TV traditionally.  Vince talked about this, along with also using different angles and views (also something the XFL did before).  Either way, I think it's a dumb idea overall but there's way he could possibly make it work on a minor scale.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3066 on: January 26, 2018, 07:31:02 AM »
A little to early to judge in my opinion. Will it be minor league? Yes, but that's okay. All of the other big sports have a minor league. Focus this is smaller markets and use it as a development opportunity. I think he should have changed the name though. The original XFL was the polar opposite of what is being presented now. From a safety perspective maybe there will be some innovations out of this. And being in the Winter and Spring won't hurt considering that is a black hole for sport right now. I'd say the chances of long term success is 50/50 right now.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3067 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »
Other than calling "bullshit" on the idea that Vince isn't timing this against the ills facing the NFL - he'd be even more of a knucklehead if he DIDN'T - I'm kind of parked with el Barto on this. It's minor league football, and isn't going to be that different than what we've seen before, it's just going to pander to a different subset of the viewing public.   (Though I do think they're going to run afoul on the idea that a more violent game is going to be a long-term winner; we still haven't seen the whole "CTE" thing peak).

He's clearly leveraging the overly public issues the NFL has had the last couple years, this season in particular, to start this up. I agree with you, if there was ever a time for Vince to this, it's now. I actually think there are several simple things he could do to attract a lot of fans. Scroll back through this thread and see some of the major complaints a lot of us have had with the NFL as of late, if he can address those common complaints, this thing might have a shot.

Like someone else mentioned though, the struggle will be the talent level. Are they going to be able to find guys good enough to make the games interesting? That will probably be the big determining factor as to whether Vince gets more than one season out of this venture.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3068 on: January 29, 2018, 06:32:47 AM »
Thought this was interesting, unless you somehow believe that Belichick is the only coach in the league who teaches discipline and avoiding penalties:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/29/16943670/new-england-patriots-penalties-edge

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3069 on: January 29, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »
Five points that tell us nothing other than the Patriots gets penalized less. While reading it something did occur to me, though. Isn't it likely that when a team goes up against the vaunted Patriots in must-win football they're more inclined to takes chances? I know players like to use the mantras this is just another game, and we're not afraid of them, but the reality is that they know they're facing a great team with a long history of winning big games. I think that definitely factors into their play, and desperation causes mistakes (and often times fantastic play, as well).
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3070 on: January 29, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
Five points that tell us nothing other than the Patriots gets penalized less. While reading it something did occur to me, though. Isn't it likely that when a team goes up against the vaunted Patriots in must-win football they're more inclined to takes chances? I know players like to use the mantras this is just another game, and we're not afraid of them, but the reality is that they know they're facing a great team with a long history of winning big games. I think that definitely factors into their play, and desperation causes mistakes (and often times fantastic play, as well).

Sort of a related tangent to that, when you're playing against people that are "better" than you - be it natural ability, or better coached - you tend to find yourself in situations where you lose discipline.  This is why there are so many holding penalties late in plays and as plays breakdown.  You can only sustain the "plan" so long before it becomes a street fight.   You get beat, and you grab a jersey, choosing between "gimme touchdown" and "first down at the 25".    You get beat, and you take the holding penalty, choosing between "ten yards, repeat the down" and "my QB takes a helmet to the sternum".    Or, you're looking to make your name, choosing to take "15 yards unsportsmanlike" over "Gronk thinks I'm a pussy".   

This phenomenon is less obvious in football than it is in hockey and basketball, where you tend to get isolated one-on-one's more often. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3071 on: January 30, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: January 30, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Classic.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3073 on: January 30, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
Do you think he practices these answers before hand, or it just naturally comes off the top of his head like that?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3074 on: January 31, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »
He's a natural born speaker.   :)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3075 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
So Smith Traded to the Redskins. Good trade for the Chiefs getting a solid CB and 3rd round draft pick. I wonder if Cousins ends up in Buffalo or Denver.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3076 on: January 31, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
The Chiefs are now dead to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: February 04, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »
Big Hall of Fame class yesterday, including the best guard to ever play the game.

Who ya got today? I got Pats 28 Eagles 20.

And whatcha eatin'? I got some pork shoulder slow-cooking with some root beer and liquid smoke, to be served with a spicy ketchup glaze.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:55:54 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3078 on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Pats, 27- 24.

Big party, everybody bringing dishes.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3079 on: February 04, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
SNL skit Patriots Vs. Eagles in 1775   :lol
https://youtu.be/fcziw7helVg
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.