Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211662 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2380 on: December 28, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
I have no problem with Brady winning MVP. The patriots would be nothing this year without him. Now, if Wentz didn't get hurt I'd prefer him. Love Gurley but there are a lot of good players on that team.

The trouble with that line of reasoning is that they DO win without him. 3-1 last year, 11-5 in 2008. Contrast those records with how the Packers and Steelers for example fare with backup QBs over the years.

Actually this reminded me to conduct a quick but fascinating experiment with the assistance of Football Reference. Bear with me on this for a second, putting bias or homerism aside, just numbers:

I think most fans agree, and especially Patriot fans, that Belichick is a MUCH better coach than Tomlin. Tomlin's stupidity is on display all the time. How much better is BB? Is it worth maybe 2 wins a year? Let's assume that is the case. Now switch those coaches to the other teams - the Brady years with Tomlin and the Ben years with Belichick. If Tomlin's cluelessness costs his team 2 wins a year, then Brady's record (16 full seasons x 2 games per year = 32 wins turned to losses) goes from 195-55 to 163-87. If Ben is 2 games BETTER every year with Belichick for his 14 years x 2 wins per year, his record goes from 135-63 to 163-35! Since most NE fans no doubt find that result very distasteful, you can do the math with only 1 win per year instead of 2. In that case Brady is 179-71 (.716%) and Ben is 149-49 (.753%), which pro-rated to Brady's 250 games comes out to 188-62. So there we have it - either Tomlin is as good as BB or Ben is every bit as good at Brady at winning when you factor in getting hamstrung by Tomlin. By the way, before you ask, over this entire period since Brady became the starter, the defenses' points allowed per game are 18.6 for NE and 18.3 for Pit, so no advantage for Ben and the Patriots have had much better special teams which is one of BB's greatest strengths as coach.

My point: I know people can't get past Ben's interceptions this year, but 40% of them were in ONE game. They only lost 2 other games. Second in yards, only 5 TDs behind the league leader, and a bunch of last-minute come-from-behind wins. Of course he's an MVP candidate even if the fantasy stats aren't quite as pretty. Everyone touted Brown as an MVP candidate, and yet the same people agree Ben is the guy the Steelers absolutely cannot do without. He won when Bell missed a bunch of time too the past few years, with an old running back that was out of the league the next year. So not saying he should win it over Gurley or Wentz or those guys, but he's every bit as valuable to his team as Brady is.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2381 on: December 28, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
While I agree with the "how important to their team are they" metric, I don't think it's fair to penalize a player because his coach is so good. In any case, I think the eyeball test kind of sums it up. Pitt has the leading receiver and 3rd leading RB playing alongside Ben. If he gets hurt they have two guys who can carry a game on their own. The fact that Tomlin might fuck it all up doesn't negate their relative value which offsets Ben's. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2382 on: December 28, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
Even with 11-5 they did not make the playoffs that year.  Also, the year before was 18-1 (shut it Kev :lol) and 11-5 is a huge drop off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2383 on: December 28, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »
And the year after that, WITH Brady, they went 10-6. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: December 28, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
Yep. That's when Belichick knew this team was not responding to him. We saw that in a day in the life Bill Belichick on the NFL Network. That's when they gutted everything and they brought in the two rookie tight ends. You know the greatest tight end ever and the murderer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2385 on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:38 PM »
While I agree with the "how important to their team are they" metric, I don't think it's fair to penalize a player because his coach is so good. In any case, I think the eyeball test kind of sums it up. Pitt has the leading receiver and 3rd leading RB playing alongside Ben. If he gets hurt they have two guys who can carry a game on their own. The fact that Tomlin might fuck it all up doesn't negate their relative value which offsets Ben's.

Both player's numbers greatly decrease without Ben under center. AB's numbers when Vick and Jones took over for a stretch of games a few years ago were pedestrian at best. I can try to do some homework and pull up the exact stats if anyone is interested, but they were a little bit ugly.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2386 on: December 29, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
I have no problem with Brady winning MVP. The patriots would be nothing this year without him. Now, if Wentz didn't get hurt I'd prefer him. Love Gurley but there are a lot of good players on that team.

The trouble with that line of reasoning is that they DO win without him. 3-1 last year, 11-5 in 2008. Contrast those records with how the Packers and Steelers for example fare with backup QBs over the years.

Let's not read too much into that 3-1 start, though.    That was TOTAL system football there, and the wheels were starting to come off the wagon when Brady returned.   Garoppolo was hurt and that stretch - I believe - proved to Belichick that Brissett was never going to be the guy.   The offense in that stretch was simplistic on a Pop Warner level, and never would have survived two times around the division.  You saw something similar in 2008 with Cassel.  The games seemed to be blowouts or very close, and the Pats - uncharacteristically - didn't do so hot in the close ones. 

I think that's a testament to the coaching staff, that they are willing to scrap the entire gameplan on a game-by-game basis (and why Wade Phillips got - and deserved - so many kudos for the Denver Super Bowl a couple years ago). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2387 on: December 29, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
So to summarize the last page... Ben is as good as Brady...?  :biggrin:

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2388 on: December 29, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »

I'm not inferring that. I can't speak for anyone else, but I do think that he is usually greatly under-rated.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2389 on: December 29, 2017, 08:08:36 PM »

I'm not inferring that. I can't speak for anyone else, but I do think that he is usually greatly under-rated.

Who? Ben? I totally agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2390 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:56 PM »

Yeah. I do think that a lot of his physical skills that he used to rely on in his younger days have abandoned him, but he's still one of a handful of QB's that are well above in the league.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2391 on: December 30, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
I think Roethlisberger is one of the more exciting QBs to watch, because he seems old school in the sense of dropping back and finding a way to scrape and make a play, similar to how Elway and Favre were. 

On the flip side, I have never thought Manning and Brady were that exciting to watch.  It's like, it's obvious that watching them dissect defenses in a methodical way is awesome from a technical standpoint, but it's not always fun to watch.  I mean, watching Brady throw a 1-yard pass to Edelman who turns it into a 9-yard gain is great from a strategic standpoint, but it's not exciting football.  We see way too many of those boring-type plays in the NFL now, which is one reason why the product is disintegrating.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: December 30, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
We see way too many of those boring-type plays in the NFL now, which is one reason why the product is disintegrating.

Except with the Pats we are seeing it translated in to championships. With many other teams, we are seeing it translate to mediocrity.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: December 30, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
As a Ravens fan, I've seen more than my share of Ben.  I admire the hell out of his durability, toughness, of the almost impossible task of tackling him, and I can't wait for him to retire. ;)

Brady is the 'master'.  In a game against Balto last year, I can't tell you how many times I noticed how well the receivers were covered, the opening for a completion was maybe the size of a basketball hoop......and that's where the ball was thrown.  It's that way week after week.  And I can't wait for him to retire. ;)

Manning had that 'sixth sense' about him.  That playoff loss to the Irsays in '06 will forever sting, but is tempered with that Mile High win in '12.

Excitement is all kind of relative, I guess.  Bart Starr was never an exciting QB, but he did a thing or two to excite Packer fans. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2394 on: December 30, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
On the flip side, I have never thought Manning and Brady were that exciting to watch.  It's like, it's obvious that watching them dissect defenses in a methodical way is awesome from a technical standpoint, but it's not always fun to watch.  I mean, watching Brady throw a 1-yard pass to Edelman who turns it into a 9-yard gain is great from a strategic standpoint, but it's not exciting football.  We see way too many of those boring-type plays in the NFL now, which is one reason why the product is disintegrating.

Honesty this is why I watch football. If I want nonstop excitement, I’ll watch hockey. I enjoy the strategic aspect of the game far more than I enjoy the violent aspect of it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2395 on: December 30, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »

Yeah. I do think that a lot of his physical skills that he used to rely on in his younger days have abandoned him, but he's still one of a handful of QB's that are well above in the league.

Well, my original comment was certainly a joke, I’m a Ben guy, but at this point I consider Brady the greatest to ever play the position...

That said, he is frequently underrated in a variety of ways. Dude is a stud, a champion, and a nailed on hall of fame QB that will go down as the best QB of a pretty distinguished franchise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2396 on: December 30, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
I think he is rated about right. Despite never really being elite, he was usually right near the top of the 2nd tier of QBs, and he won't have any problem making the Hall.  He is no Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees, but there is nothing wrong with going down as the 5th best QB of your era when the guys above you were that good.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2397 on: December 30, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
I think he is rated about right. Despite never really being elite, he was usually right near the top of the 2nd tier of QBs, and he won't have any problem making the Hall.  He is no Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees, but there is nothing wrong with going down as the 5th best QB of your era when the guys above you were that good.

That right there proves how underrated he is!  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2398 on: December 30, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »
 ???

How so?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2399 on: December 30, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
???

How so?

Because it underrated him... at this point in the guys career with all he has done, to not consider him an elite QB is nuts.

I know you and I disagree on this and have gone back and forth on it before, so I know where you are coming from, I just totally disagree.

Offline max_security

« Reply #2400 on: December 30, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »
Third attempt to type this ( cause I hate the stillers , however ) , ... Ben has played at a high level throughout his career against some very tough defenses YEAR AFTER YEAR , often with less than an ideal supporting cast. I have serious doubts that any current QB would fare as well under the same conditions. Ben is a tough sob if nothing else.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2401 on: December 30, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Ben is a tough sob if nothing else.

Coming back in after that brutal sack by Burfect a couple playoffs ago .... to lead the game-winning drive proves that beyond any shadow of a doubt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: December 30, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
Ben is tough as nails.  His magic is on the run passing but it's also an issue getting hit like he does.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2403 on: December 30, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »

Brady and Manning are on a different level. I put Ben with Rogers and Brees, and in the absence of Brady, that is elite.

Calling Ben a 2nd tier QB is not right in my eyes. He's been one of the 5 best QBs his entire career it seems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:48:55 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »
^
Yup, except I put Brees a notch down.

Class guy, absolutely great QB.......who gets to play in a dome 9+ times a year. 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2405 on: December 31, 2017, 08:34:19 AM »
Nice video featuring Belichick and his old coach from the 70's.
https://www.patriots.com/video/2017/12/29/nfl-films-presents-bill-belichick-and-rick-forzano

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2406 on: December 31, 2017, 08:58:25 AM »
???

How so?

Because it underrated him... at this point in the guys career with all he has done, to not consider him an elite QB is nuts.

I know you and I disagree on this and have gone back and forth on it before, so I know where you are coming from, I just totally disagree.

Okay, but when you say "with all he has done," what exactly do you mean?  His first Super Bowl title was before he had really evolved into being elite/great/whatever you want to call him (similar to Brady for his first couple rings), and he he has ZERO MVP awards, no All-Pro team achievements to brag about, etc.  He has always hovered just below that elite tier of QBs, so it is hard for me to call a guy elite when he has never really consistently been elite (from season to season, not looking at a game here or a game there).  Consider that he followed up his 2 best statistical seasons (2007 and 2014) with blah seasons.  The truly elite guys are elite year in and year out.

Third attempt to type this ( cause I hate the stillers , however ) , ... Ben has played at a high level throughout his career against some very tough defenses YEAR AFTER YEAR , often with less than an ideal supporting cast. I have serious doubts that any current QB would fare as well under the same conditions. Ben is a tough sob if nothing else.

Wait, what?

He has had a top 10 defense in 9 of his 13 seasons (and the number 1 defense in 4 of them).

The last five seasons, he has had the guy who the best WR of his generation (Antonio Brown) AND one of the best RBs of the 21st century (LeVeon Bell).

Prior to that, he had for the first seven years of his career Hines Ward, who, while no Hall of Famer, was really good.  And while their peaks weren't long-lasting, Mike Wallace and Willie Parker were nothing to sneeze at there for a while.

Brady and Manning are on a different level. I put Ben with Rogers and Brees, and in the absence of Brady, that is elite.

Calling Ben a 2nd tier QB is not right in my eyes. He's been one of the 5 best QBs his entire career it seems.

With all due respect, there is no way on God's green earth that Ben is on the same level as Rodgers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2407 on: December 31, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »
With all due respect, there is no way on God's green earth that Ben is on the same level as Rodgers.

Is he better than Rodgers? Maybe not. Is he in Rodgers' class? I believe he is.

The TAC Research Center will be looking into this today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2408 on: December 31, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »
Regular season TD-INT ratio:

Rodgers: 313-78
Roethlisberger: 325-173

Playoffs TD-INT ratio:

Rodgers: 36-10
Roethlisberger: 25-23

Imagine if Rodgers had had the number 1 defense in the NFL 4 times already. He probably would have caught Montana's ring count already and would be threatening to catch Brady's.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2409 on: December 31, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
I think Roethlisberger is one of the more exciting QBs to watch, because he seems old school in the sense of dropping back and finding a way to scrape and make a play, similar to how Elway and Favre were. 
Bingo. Elway has always been my favorite QB, and it's impossible to not love watching Favre be Favre. Ben has the added advantage of being one of the toughest guys on the field. That leads to situations when he gets to play injured as hell and still be the gunslinger, which is about as good as football can get. The 2015 AFC WC game is known mostly for Burfict and Pacman imploding magnificently, but overshadowed was some fantastic play by an injured Rothlesburger toughing it out for the team. I've never been a fan, but I'm certainly an admirer of the guy as a football player.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2410 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
It really can't be said too many times that Mike Tomlin is a fucking idiot.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2411 on: December 31, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »
The end of the NE/Pitt game was a clear demonstration that Tomlin is not a great head coach.

The Jesse James play was literally reviewed for nearly 4 minutes. A great coach has his team ready for whatever is coming next. You have to know that the play could be called a no-catch and you might have 2nd and goal from the 9 or 10, but nope, the Steelers looked like a team that had no clue what to do once the James TD was overruled, hence the stupid 2nd down play (throwing to a guy running a crossing pattern who has no shot of scoring or getting out of bounds, meaning you have to hurry the 3rd down play) and then a 3rd down play where everyone on offense was not on the same page (Bell and several WRs just stood there and didn't even run a route while Ben was panicking and throwing the pick).  It was laughably bad execution.

Meanwhile, the Patriots looked like a team that was ready for anything and made the play to win the game.

It's no wonder that Belichick always makes Tomlin his bitch, despite the Steelers usually having better players (except QB and TE).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2412 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Regular season TD-INT ratio:

Rodgers: 313-78
Roethlisberger: 325-173

Playoffs TD-INT ratio:

Rodgers: 36-10
Roethlisberger: 25-23

Imagine if Rodgers had had the number 1 defense in the NFL 4 times already. He probably would have caught Montana's ring count already and would be threatening to catch Brady's.

Well, those are impressive passing stats for sure, yet from what I can see, and I've only been gleaning stats since 2008 (When Rodgers became a full time starter), Rogers has a 104 to 94 edge in Passer Rating, yet the Packer's have only scored 3 more points per game in that time period than the Steelers.

Each team has 5 Division titles with the Packers making the playoffs 8 times compared to 7 for the Steelers. Ben is 2-1 in Conference championship during those years (3-2 overall), while Rodgers is 1-3.

...still crunching some numbers...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2413 on: December 31, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
*stats that show I'm right*

*other stats that show I'm more right*

:corn

Can't wait to see who can cherry-pick the stats that make their case the strongest.   :lol

Spoiler alert - neither of you will convince the other that they are more right/wrong.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns