Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211546 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2275 on: December 20, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
When judging by a specific NFL rule, it was not a catch.  By all other standards, including the eyeball test and common-sense, it was a catch and touchdown.
Which is better?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2276 on: December 21, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
Wow, are you guys still hashing this around? I'm tempted to think some here are being deliberately obtuse and just want to argue.

Take Gronks catch in the same game. Remember how he grabbed the ball on both sides, pulled the ball to his chest while rolling in the air,  then landed in bounds while never loosing control?

What if on the same grab, he instead extends his arms and makes contact with the ground. When he does, one of his hands rolls up the side of the ball so the back of his hand is pinning the ball against the ground. Once he finishes hitting the ground he quickly readjusts his hand to firmly grab it. Would any of you be arguing for a catch then?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2277 on: December 21, 2017, 06:38:59 AM »
If his bottom hand was still under the ball, yes I would be.  Maybe it (the actual catch and/or this hypothetical scenario) wouldn't be such a 'hot' topic if it wasn't such a monumentally pivotal call.  And maybe we wouldn't be discussing it as much if the Steelers did subsequently get a TD.

This is all just friendly discourse.  We can have that nowadays... can't we?   :)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2278 on: December 21, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
This is all just friendly discourse.  We can have that nowadays... can't we?   :)

Exactly.  Not sure why the need to name call, Podaar.  And coming from you, I'm surprised and not a little disappointed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: December 21, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »

Exactly.  Not sure why the need to name call, Podaar.  And coming from you, I'm surprised and not a little disappointed.

I'm very sorry. My intent wasn't to belittle anyone, but I totally see how it's taken that way. As we all have learned from my posts over the years, I have difficulty expressing my thoughts well.

Again, all apologies and please ignore the obtuse comment.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2280 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:29 AM »
You'd have to be obtuse to think I wouldn't.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: December 21, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
 :)

[edit] I'll increase my donation to the board this year. Will that help? [/edit]

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2282 on: December 21, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »
he don't love in the middle of the dive

I certainly hope not.  That might be an even bigger controversy than Nipplegate!

:mehlin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2283 on: December 21, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
For the record, earlier this season,  Gronk caught a ball in the air in the end zone but when his body hit the ground it became dislodged and ruled incomplete.

Anyway, just watched the Mic’d Up of Jimmy GQ on the SF final drive. Awesome stuff. Brady Jr.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2284 on: December 21, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
When judging by a specific NFL rule, it was not a catch.  By all other standards, including the eyeball test and common-sense, it was a catch and touchdown.
Which is better?

I am not sure I understand your question.   What do you mean by "better"

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2285 on: December 21, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
Which is better?

He was asking whether you'd rather have these things decided by:

1. applying a rule (which may or may not comport with any given individual's subjective assessment of what is and isn't a "catch"); or

2. having the officials on the field saying, "looks/doesn't look like a catch to me" (keeping in mind that the posts on this topic have illustrated a distinct difference of opinion about whether James did or didn't "catch" the ball, regardless of the details of any given rule).

For me, #1 is the far superior option, and I couldn't disagree more with the statement that "By all other standards, including the eyeball test and common-sense, it was a catch and touchdown."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2286 on: December 21, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
Which is better?

1. applying a rule (which may or may not comport with any given individual's subjective assessment of what is and isn't a "catch"); or

2. having the officials on the field saying, "looks/doesn't look like a catch to me" (keeping in mind that the posts on this topic have illustrated a distinct difference of opinion about whether James did or didn't "catch" the ball, regardless of the details of any given rule).

For me, #1 is the far superior option, and I couldn't disagree more with the statement that "By all other standards, including the eyeball test and common-sense, it was a catch and touchdown."

I agree # 1 in general is the preferred option, as it is more objective.  But I also do not think this specific rule is a good rule.  So as it is now, neither is "better".  But there will always be a subjective component to interpreting the rule itself, as well as interpreting visual evidence in applying the rule.  So the eye-ball test, and common sense will always be part of #1.  But there is no reason #1 and #2 have to be mutually exclusive.  We can have a rule that makes sense and apply that rule.
I thought my point was clear in my response, but I guess it wasn't. 

To answer the question then, my answer would be:

3) None of the above.  Make the rule better and apply that rule.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:34:52 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2287 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »
The problem is that you really can't remove rules, or aspects/components of rules now. They have to be more specific rather than less, and the more specific they become, the more people will be pissed off about situations like what happened or their general inability to know what the hell a catch is anymore.

In this case I don't know what tweak to the rule could be implemented. Seems like "ball hitting ground then moving around in receiver's hands equals no dice" is pretty simple, and for the most part reasonable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2288 on: December 22, 2017, 05:01:47 AM »
The problem is that you really can't remove rules, or aspects/components of rules now. They have to be more specific rather than less, and the more specific they become, the more people will be pissed off about situations like what happened or their general inability to know what the hell a catch is anymore.

In this case I don't know what tweak to the rule could be implemented. Seems like "ball hitting ground then moving around in receiver's hands equals no dice" is pretty simple, and for the most part reasonable.

I do not share your assessment that you cant remove rules, or aspects/components of rules.  I understand that some will agree with the rule as it stands.  I saw that as a clear catch and touchdown, and do not feel that the rule makes sense.  I feel that there needs to be a re-working of that rule to somehow allow that type of play to stand.  That's all.  Not interested in getting into a debate about it.  Just stating my POV.

I went back and read my previous post, and perhaps I worded it it more as a statement of fact, so I will edit it here:
When judging by the specific NFL rule, it was not a catch.  By my own personal eyeball test and common-sense, it was a catch and touchdown.
I wish they could, and would, fairly and reasonably change the rules to have that be a catch.   I know some will disagree that is possible, and some will argue it isn't even needed.  That's cool, and I respect that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:24:09 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2289 on: December 23, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
Which is better?

Seeing as FOR ME there is no such thing as "common sense" (it's just another way of saying "in my opinion"), there really isn't any choice.   At least with #1, it's replicable and predictable, regardless of who is the official and who is the receiver.  That's the most important factor in my opinion.   

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2290 on: December 23, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure no one here is advocating there not be a rule to enforce.  Just advocating for a different rule, that makes more sense, to enforce.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2291 on: December 24, 2017, 05:25:26 AM »
Seeing as FOR ME there is no such thing as "common sense"

In general, or in the NFL?

Seeing as FOR ME there is no such thing as "common sense" it's just another way of saying "in my opinion"), there really isn't any choice.   At least with #1, it's replicable and predictable, regardless of who is the official and who is the receiver.  That's the most important factor in my opinion.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: December 24, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »
So apparently, the Packers broke a rule for putting Rodgers on IR twice without a second injury. I'm sure nothing will come of it, but apparently other teams feel that the Packers should be made to release Rodgers, which incidentally would be in his best interest.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2293 on: December 24, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »
Seeing as FOR ME there is no such thing as "common sense"

In general, or in the NFL?

In general.    99 times out of 100, "It's just common sense" follows an opinion that can't be articulated or defended in any more substantial way. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2294 on: December 24, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
So apparently, the Packers broke a rule for putting Rodgers on IR twice without a second injury. I'm sure nothing will come of it, but apparently other teams feel that the Packers should be made to release Rodgers, which incidentally would be in his best interest.
Wow. Seems that the league rule requires him to be cut once he's healthy. But since when does the league give a damn about the rules? They'll ignore it.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2295 on: December 24, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
Damn, Buffalo RB got Joe Theismann'd on us. That was ugly.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2296 on: December 24, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
Followed by Benjamin making an incredible catch in the back of the end zone while dragging both feet, only for the refs to call it no catch despite reviewing it.  I swear, you can't make this stuff up.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2297 on: December 24, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
Followed by Benjamin making an incredible catch in the back of the end zone while dragging both feet, only for the refs to call it no catch despite reviewing it.  I swear, you can't make this stuff up.

Patriots benefit in a huge way second week in a row. Also the sun came up this morning.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2298 on: December 24, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

At least that play was a hell of a lot closer than the Pittsburgh "catch" last week, which also happened on the play preceding the (TD) catch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2299 on: December 24, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
I thought you could see that black rubber coming up on that toe.  I'm surprised they called it back.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2300 on: December 24, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
I thought you could see that black rubber coming up on that toe.  I'm surprised they called it back.

Me too.  I didn't think there was enough disparity to reverse the call on the field.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »
Exactly.  Great athletic plays are lost with instant replay.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2302 on: December 24, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
He was dragging his foot before he controlled the ball. Once he pulled the ball in his foot was back up. But hey, we shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2303 on: December 24, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
But I will always maintain that if the technology is there, then there's an obligation to get the call right. Like in hockey, just because a goal was scored in 1976 when it was offsides, doesn't mean it needs to be allowed nowadays.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: December 24, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
He was dragging his foot before he controlled the ball. Once he pulled the ball in his foot was back up. But hey, we shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy.

have to watch it again I didn't see him bobbling the ball. maybe I pulled the referee and was just looking at his feet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2305 on: December 24, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
Whatever you do, do not pull the referee! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2306 on: December 24, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »

Who said there was a conspiracy?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: December 24, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »

Pulled a ref. :lol. You know, looking at the feet, not the ball.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2308 on: December 24, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »

Pulled a ref. :lol. You know, looking at the feet, not the ball.

:lol

Gotcha! One can never be too sure. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2309 on: December 24, 2017, 02:14:33 PM »
 :lol

okay I saw the replay and when he actually stopped juggling the ball one foot was already out of bounds. So yeah it wasn't a catch.