Author Topic: A Nightmare to Remember with James + Portnoy's alternate growl  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
A Nightmare to Remember with James + Portnoy's alternate growl
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWu63awuc4c

I think I prefer this to the original actually. What do you guys think?
It feels less silly and more natural with James' voice.

More added part but ending is cut off.

Also here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqQhXNA2KA

Mike Portnoy is much more aggressive here and reminds me kinda of Opeth....I think I'd like this better too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:42:37 PM by Serah Farron »

Offline Evai

Re: A Nightmare to Remember with James replacing Portnoy's part
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
I like the Portnoy growl section, it adds something unique to the song that I look forward to. But it sounds cool hearing JLB sing it to a melody, I wonder if this is the way it would be done if they finally brought it back into the setlist.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
Re: A Nightmare to Remember with James replacing Portnoy's part
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:43:20 PM »
I like the Portnoy growl section, it adds something unique to the song that I look forward to. But it sounds cool hearing JLB sing it to a melody, I wonder if this is the way it would be done if they finally brought it back into the setlist.

I edited it with another link that includes Portnoy's alternate spoken part. Much more aggressive.

And yeah, James sounds dandy. :tup

Offline Architeuthis

Re: A Nightmare to Remember with James + Portnoy's alternate growl
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:52:27 PM »
I like the Portnoy Rooaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr section. It shows their sense of humor and if anything, added to the song, not take away from it.   :metal
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:54:13 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »
The James version is downright terrible imo.
So is the Portnoy growl one, he can't pull it off. I think we got the best thing possible on the album (which was a good call on JP's part).

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »
It makes me wonder why they didn't get Mikael Åkerfeldt to do vocals for that section, and as seeing how they know quite a lot of singers that do that. They could have even got Thomas from BTBAM?  :huh:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »
It makes me wonder why they didn't get Mikael Åkerfeldt to do vocals for that section, and as seeing how they know quite a lot of singers that do that. They could have even got Thomas from BTBAM?  :huh:

Or you!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »

This is going to be a douchey answer, but if a band feels the need to bring in a different singer just to sing a different part, they are probably writing the wrong vocal melodies. DT has one of the best singers in the genre, and they wanted a vocal part that isn't part of his repertoire. Silly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 02:11:28 AM »

This is going to be a douchey answer, but if a band feels the need to bring in a different singer just to sing a different part, they are probably writing the wrong vocal melodies. DT has one of the best singers in the genre, and they wanted a vocal part that isn't part of his repertoire. Silly.

While I get what you mean, I think that bringing in Doug Pinnick to sing on LitS was nice.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:16:53 AM »
They're both terrible. Then again, I think it is really hard to make these lyrics sound good in any case, since the lyrics are just laughable to begin with. They should probably just have layered this part with extremely loud instruments so that the vocals would be inaudible.

Or you!
I don't think either of Opeth/BTBAM singers would've made it sound appealing at all, but like Adami said, Devy might just have worked since he actually fits to comical music like this, opposed to MP.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 04:32:24 AM »
The section just doesn't work. They wanted to have a very heavy and aggressive part, and still they wanted the story to point out that there were no casualties. I don't "hate" this part, I can live with it just fine, but it simply should have been reworked entirely.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
MP actually explained why when the album first came out. He said that he thought of having Mikael do the vocals, but then realized that he (MP) would be the one doing them every night live, so he figured he might as well do them. I'm kinda meh on it - don't mind the section itself (the blast beats on the other hand are gratuitous) but the lyrics don't fit. Nonetheless, I would've preferred for JL to have done them with his "angry" Awake vocals. I think that would've been much better than any of the other options, and quite frankly, I'm surprised that this wasn't an option that was considered.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
I like the Portnoy Rooaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr section. It shows their sense of humor and if anything, added to the song, not take away from it.   :metal
I don't think they were trying to be funny at all  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
Good lawd the alternate growl makes the part on the album sound amazing (it isn't). I'd rather hear LaBrie's part and I'm no LaBrie fanboy. I think when they play it live, they just skip over it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 01:04:01 AM »
Yeah, the worst thing about that section is that they were trying to be serious. :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
^agreed. The song is pretty serious, and whether MP intended to or not, it totally made it a joke.

All three were meh IMO. That being said, we don't have the luxury of JLB's solo, which is convenient occurrence. And even with the one is on the album, MP still finishes his "survived" line and the roar with a death metal flourish after. This is followed by the "oooo" which is another death metal flourish. So two DM vocal elements are there.
---

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »
They honestly should have had a spoken word sample, like they had on ACOS or Voices

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Yeah, the worst thing about that section is that they were trying to be serious. :lol

This was talked about on other thread (can't remember which one right now) a while back, but thought of mentioning it here since it's the same case: those MP screams before the Razor's Edge solo on Chaos in Motion (this: https://youtu.be/EhJG9h0CJeU?t=7m35s). I don't know what's worse, the fact that he did it or that he was very serious about doing it  :lol :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
Okay it might be out of place... But those are G5's and F5's, I bet you guys would be applauding if you heard JLB sounding like that in the woah section in LTL nowadays  :laugh: I think MP felt like he was having a good day vocally and wanted to show off a bit
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
Okay it might be out of place... But those are G5's and F5's, I bet you guys would be applauding if you heard JLB sounding like that in the woah section in LTL nowadays  :laugh: I think MP felt like he was having a good day vocally and wanted to show off a bit

James could have one of the worst singing days ever and he would still fit the song better than those MP screams  :biggrin:
Your sig made me laugh a lot, btw  :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 05:28:09 PM »
The first time I heard it I was like WTH? but now I love it. The album cut is spot on!  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 01:02:50 AM »

This was talked about on other thread (can't remember which one right now) a while back, but thought of mentioning it here since it's the same case: those MP screams before the Razor's Edge solo on Chaos in Motion (this: https://youtu.be/EhJG9h0CJeU?t=7m35s). I don't know what's worse, the fact that he did it or that he was very serious about doing it  :lol :facepalm:

I think it sounds good but I'm not very familiar with the studio version. It's not as out of place as those silly moments during live versions of A Change of Seasons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:12:33 AM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 02:38:13 AM »

I think it sounds good but I'm not very familiar with the studio version. It's not as out of place as those silly moments during live versions of A Change of Seasons.
Yeah, I was disappointed to hear that Jordan still plays that circus piano break instead of something more fitting, but oh well, the crowd is loving it. https://youtu.be/-6Qg_3YwEFo?t=12m50s

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »

Yeah, I was disappointed to hear that Jordan still plays that circus piano break instead of something more fitting, but oh well, the crowd is loving it. https://youtu.be/-6Qg_3YwEFo?t=12m50s

I always wondered why he never played the original part there, even though the original isn't thaaaat good as a keyboard part.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »

I'm the other way, when I heard the version they're playing this tour I was hoping he still played that circus break the same way, I was not disappointed, I love that part ;D

I just hoped JP and JM still played their parts the way they did it in the LSFNY concert.