Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 36405 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2016, 06:47:51 AM »
I don't want to completely spoil it since I just started ADWD but was Thoros telling the truth that Beric Donarrion was dead in giving life to "Lady Stoneheart"? There's always a mention of a one-eyed man in the group so did he just give up his leadership? I know there was that conversation that Arya had that it had becoming more taxing to bring Beric back to life.

I had thought he had died.  I don't recall any fan theories about him being alive either, but maybe if there are clues then it could be possible.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »
I totally forgot about this in the show but out of all the great moments in the books Jon Snow executing Janos Slynt may be the most badass I've read up to this point.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
That's because the show version of that scene sucked.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »
The scene also didn't have the inside dialogue of Jon Snow telling himself to kill the boy and awaken the man inside.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2016, 10:23:52 PM »
The fact that it dropped the fakeout with the rope and made him ask Olly to fetch him his sword instead of for Edd to fetch him a block...

Ugh

...my name is Araragi.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:33 AM »
The scene also didn't have the inside dialogue of Jon Snow telling himself to kill the boy and awaken the man inside.

The show had that coming from Maester Aemon since you can't explain inner thoughts on TV which makes sense to have it come from him as well.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
Finally finishing up ADOD after a month or so of a lull. The story really isn't sprawling as much as people were letting on although I can see how it's getting slightly less manageable. Speaking of characters that don't show up on the show I found it funny how quickly Quentyn Martell's storyline was tossed aside once he got to Meereen. Not that it was terribly interesting but him and his crew show up at the worst time and Dany just kinda goes "oh...you can have some guest rooms I suppose".

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »
Thematically that's sorta the point of Quent's arc. He is told by everyone he's the hero, goes on this hero's journey, but deep down believes he isn't really the hero, and... turns out to be right :(

...my name is Araragi.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
Just getting caught up on Aegon's storyline as well. I really like Jon Connington but with only 150 pages left I feel like I won't have much more of it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
Finished up a couple of nights ago so now I'm part of the group of miserable bastards waiting for the next book. I'll have to borrow the Hedge Knight book from my landlord some time even if it is only to fill in some backstory.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2016, 07:10:39 AM »
Yeah, I still need to read those stories.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2018, 02:52:35 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2018, 02:53:57 PM »
No WoW in 2018... no surprise.  Although the fact he keeps churning out other related books makes me really uninterested when I feel like I should want to read this.  I just don't want to support him if he isn't going to finish what he started.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
A coworker and I were discussing how all these websites are going to come up with corny "made you look!" headlines with the exact same joke about this new book.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
Obviously all those websites are copying me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2018, 10:18:25 PM »
You're killin' me, Georgie..

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2018, 06:13:42 AM »
A comment on your avatar. You need to get rid of Harvey. He is a complete douche. Can't stand him after the first month of the Mets season! I really wanted him to be comeback player of the year but he is a narcissistic fool.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
Harvey who? That's not Robert DeNiro?!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
Haha it kind of looks like him doesn't it?

A comment on your avatar. You need to get rid of Harvey. He is a complete douche. Can't stand him after the first month of the Mets season! I really wanted him to be comeback player of the year but he is a narcissistic fool.

I keep forgetting to change it. Once I find a picture that jumps out at me I'll do it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #264 on: May 04, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »
Has anybody asked him point blank (but nicely) what's his best guess when he will finish WoW?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »
He has said ”this year” pretty much every year since 2014 or something, eventually people got the message that it’s not worth asking because he can’t tell.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #266 on: May 05, 2018, 06:37:20 AM »
I think it's 50/50 at best he ever finished the books. I'm guessing with the popularity of the show that he may no longer feel it's all that urgent to finish books when everyone knows what happens. Or will know once the show finishes up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: May 05, 2018, 09:04:20 AM »
I don't think he will answer the question if you ask directly.

Also, I think he may be on board with HBO to do a spin off series so I put it closer to 10% that he ever finishes the series and 40% that he finishes WoW (since he actually has written a lot of it apparently, but where's the progress?).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2018, 02:03:26 PM »
Art is done when it's done. It's not something you can put a timeline on, contractual obligations aside. So I am willing to give Martin some leeway in deciding when he is done with his art and that it isn't fair for others to put a time constraint on his creation. At the same time, as a fan of the books I can't help but say c'mon man.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
2/3 of the way through A Feast for Crows.  The Jamie, Cersei, Brienne and Arya chapters are the only ones keeping my interest.  I don't really have any interest in the Greyjoy kingsmoot or the things happening in Dorne. 

I know that the show was criticized by fans for how they handled Dorne, but so far, it doesn't seem like much is happening aside from a failed plot to install Myrcella as the queen.  Once that plot was foiled, the chapters seem to have disappeared for a while...which isn't bothering me one bit. 

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
I think it's 50/50 at best he ever finished the books. I'm guessing with the popularity of the show that he may no longer feel it's all that urgent to finish books when everyone knows what happens. Or will know once the show finishes up.

I'd be willing to bet that, since the show has already passed him up, that he has gone back and re-written A LOT and that is what has delayed this so much.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #271 on: May 07, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
The Dorne situation gets a bit more interesting in Dance. Well, I'm caught up now. Joining the rest of you in eager anticipation of book 6

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: May 07, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
It's really not that eager for me now. If it comes out, great, I'll buy it (I'm not buying the side-stories and history books though), if not, oh well.

Although I have a bet with my friend about which book will be released first, Winds of Winter or Doors of Stone. So if TWOW comes out sooner than later, at least I get to win a bet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #273 on: May 07, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
Really wacky theory, but do you think he's secretly finished it a while ago and it was really book 7 he was finishing up and maybe is making plans to have them released together to coincide with the last season?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #274 on: May 07, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »
That would be nice, but no way I believe that.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #275 on: May 07, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »
I could care less about the books at this point. The show is so amazing and that will be my go to for GOT entertainment. The books are good but I have no interest in an unfinished story.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #276 on: May 07, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
I read the books up until Dance Of Dragons, and I loved them all, although the first three are much better than the last two.

Then I watched the first two seasons of GoT and really liked it, but thought that the books were still better. Because of that I put the show on hold, I wanted to read the end of the story in the books first and then watch the whole show.

Now I think I will watch the show when the finale has aired.

Of course I will also read the books when/if they are finished but I'm not longer eagerly anticipating them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: May 07, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
I would solove to read the end of the books especially since the show has gone on to become something fairly different as the show went past the books.  The books would offer a different story path which would be really cool... but as time goes by, the less I care about it.  When I finished reading the books after season 2 of the show aired, I was so excited and loved reading up on news of the book's progress... but there's only so much I can care.  I'll buy it if it comes and probably love reading it, but my anticipation is increasingly decreasing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #278 on: July 13, 2018, 03:13:06 AM »
Geez, I disappear for a while and come back to phrases like increasingly decreasing. :lol

I watch a lot of the YouTube videos which talk about different theories so I'm exceedingly curious about where the book storylines are going. The show left out so much that matters. I'm excited about the final season of the show but I'm more excited about the last two books. The book version is more important to me. They're George's creations and what he does with the characters comes first. Not that the show characters don't matter. At the same time, there are some things in the books that I would love to have seen in the show. Not necessarily big parts either. For example, I love the part in the book when Sam leaves the dining hall and Jon and Ghost follow him. Sam starts to cry and as he's doing so Ghost licks his tears away. Sam screams at first but then starts to laugh. I just find that to be a really nice moment and would have loved to have seen it acted out. There are a few others like that. Alas.

I'm convinced GRRM is writing the last two books at the same time. He's finishing up so many different plots that he probably wants to make sure he doesn't release TWoW and then want to change something while writing ADoS. Everything comes to an end now.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2018, 06:50:37 AM »
I'm convinced GRRM is writing the last two books at the same time. He's finishing up so many different plots that he probably wants to make sure he doesn't release TWoW and then want to change something while writing ADoS. Everything comes to an end now.
I've got a bad feeling GRRM doesn't give a shit anymore since the show finished up the series and the books will never be completed. I hope I'm wrong though.