Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 36395 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
A Song of Ice and Fire
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
I know there was a thread about this on the old forum, so I thought I would re-make it here.

I am obviously very excited about the next book, and of course the HBO series and the two video games. Seems like a lot of awesome stuff is on the way for ASOIAF fans. I also really like the board game :p

Any other fans of this great series of books?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »
No other fans? That sucks :(

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »
The books are perhaps the most engrossing series I've ever read. I'm a huge fan.

Probably my favorite moments in the series so far are (non-spoilery) Ned and Joffrey's encounter towards the end of Game Of Thrones, the battle of King's Landing in Clash of Kings ("Those are brave men. Let's go kill them"), and the Red Wedding in Storm Of Swords (well, duh). Feast For Crows was probably my least favorite, but it was a much-needed break from the frantic action in the first three books. No worries.

However, I'm somewhat skeptical that the series will be finished in Martin's lifetime. Let's see, he's almost (crossed fingers) done with A Dance With Dragons, and has *some* material written on The Winds Of Winter. But there's still the whole last book (A Dream Of Spring), and given that he's been averaging, oh, 5 years of time spent writing each book, well....

The man's 62, so it's not totally out of the question, but the picture of health he is not, sadly.

(Disclaimer: I'm well aware that he has other interests besides writing, and he likes to take his time in crafting a high-quality product. These are all good things. I'm merely saying that I hope he finishes this series that he's clearly already invested so much time and effort into)

Offline pneumothorax

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
I read the first three and about half of the fourth and loved them.  I should read the last half of it but my life is always so busy.  Anyway, I loved how Martin creates a realistic world with believable characters.  Everyone is in it for themselves in one way or another.  It's a stark contrast to The Sword of Truth Series, one of my other favorite book series.  Definitely something I should get to doing.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »
BUMP FOR NEWS

The TV show is greenlit, production is starting in June, and it will probably start airing next spring.  :metal

Also, he's up to 1311 pages on the new book.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »
Sweet.

I really should get around to rereading the series again, but I've been too busy with... not finishing the books I'm currently reading.

DAMN YOU ADD!

Offline Ghurdrich

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:57 PM »
I swear to God, if he doesn't finish the book because he dies, I'm going to boycott Football.
It's like if your dog died and your mom said you could still keep it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
I swear to God, if he doesn't finish the book because he dies, I'm going to boycott Football.

You don't already do that?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »
So the pilot passed HBO's executives.  Season 1 next spring!!!

Woohoo :)

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 04:18:33 AM »
Yeah, don't care that this hasn't been posted in for awhile, if I made a new thread people would bitch anyway.

Here's a new teaser and "behind the scenes" look at the upcoming HBO series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo&feature=player_embedded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjY6QnOPcoI&feature=player_embedded

Not sure about all the actors and who they're playing, but at :15 in the first video, Tyrion Lannister and someone else (Blackfish? Maybe Bronn?), and :17, from left to right: Pycelle, Varys, Eddard, Robert.

You can pick out the characters in the second video just fine... I saw Viserys, Khal Drogo, Tyrion, Arya and Bran at 1:13, Daenerys towards the end, etc. Everyone looks good, and the actors that I recognize are all incredible :biggrin:

I'm so damn excited :caffeine:

Oh, and I have one thing to say in regards to the books:

Fuck Joffrey. Stupid cunt. And Gregor Clegane. And Tywin. And Ramsay.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 04:28:43 AM »
Yeah, don't care that this hasn't been posted in for awhile, if I made a new thread people would bitch anyway.

Here's a new teaser and "behind the scenes" look at the upcoming HBO series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo&feature=player_embedded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjY6QnOPcoI&feature=player_embedded

Not sure about all the actors and who they're playing, but at :15 in the first video, Tyrion Lannister and someone else (Blackfish? Maybe Bronn?), and :17, from left to right: Pycelle, Varys, Eddard, Robert.

You can pick out the characters in the second video just fine... I saw Viserys, Khal Drogo, Tyrion, Arya and Bran at 1:13, Daenerys towards the end, etc. Everyone looks good, and the actors that I recognize are all incredible :biggrin:

I'm so damn excited :caffeine:

Oh, and I have one thing to say in regards to the books:

OH MY GOD! That looks freaking fantastic! :D
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 05:18:25 AM »

Hey now, don't be hating on my main man Tywin.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
GUYS:

Remember the Gregor Clegane vs. Prince Oberyn martell fight?

And Tyrion's response at the end "I handed my life to a snake, but i forgot snakes have no arms" (or something like that) then he goes mad with laughter....

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »
Yes.  Why?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »
Yes.  Why?

lol... I was just reminiscing.  

****SPOILERS***

Never has evil trumpeted good in such a glorious turn of events.  I cheered for monstrous Gregor while at the same time was saddened at the noble prince's defeat.

Prince Oberyn tilted his dented metal shield. A shaft of sunlight blazed blindingly off polished gold and copper, into the narrow slit of his foe's helm. Clegane lifted his own shield against the glare. Prince Oberyn's spear flashed like lightening and found the gap in the heavy plate, the join under the arm. The point punched through the mail and boiled leather. Gregor gave a choked grunt as the Dornishman twisted his spear and yanked it free. "Elia Say it! Elia of Dorne!" He was circling, the spear poised for another thrust. "Say it!" .....  Prince Oberyn had circled behind him. "ELIA OF DORNE!" he shouted. Ser Gregor started to turn, but too slow and too late. The spearhead went through the back of the knee this time, through the layers of chain and leather between the plates on thigh and calf. The Mountain reeled, swayed, then collapsed face first on the ground. His huge sword went flying from his hand. Slowly, ponderously, he rolled onto his back. The Dornishman flung away his ruined shield, grasped the spear in both hand and sauntered away. Behind him the Mountain let out a groan, and pushed himself onto an elbow. Oberyn whirled cat-quick, and ran at his fallen foe. "EEEELLLLLLIIIAAAAA!" he screamed, as he drove the spear down with the whole weight of his body behind it. The crack of the ashwood shaft snapping was almost as sweet a sound as Cersie's wail of fury, and for an instant the Prince of Dorne had wings. ... Four feet of broken spear jutted from Cleganes belly as Prince Oberyn rolled, rose, and dusted himself off. He tossed aside the splintered spear and claimed his foe's great sword. "If you die before you say her name, ser, I will hunt you through all seven hells," he promised. Ser Gregor tried to rise. The broken spear had gone through him, and was pinning him to the ground. He wrapped both hands about the shaft, grunting, but could not pull it out. Beneath him was a spreading pool of red. Prince Oberyn moved closer. "Say the name!" He put a foot on the Mountain's chest and raised the greatsword with both hands. Whether he intended to to hack off Gregor's head or shove the point through his eyeslit was something Tyrion would never know.  Clegane's hand shot up and grabbed the Dornishman behind the knee.  The Red Viper brought down the great sword in a wild slash, but he was off balance, and the edge did no more than put another dent in the Mountain's arm brace. Then the sword was forgotten as Gregor's hand tightened and twisted, yanking the Dornishman down on top of him. They wrestled in the dust and blood, the broken spear wobbling back and forth. Tyrion saw with horror that the Mountain had wrapped one huge arm around the prince, drawing him tight against his chest, like a lover.  "Elia of Dorne," they all heard Ser Gregor say, when they were close enough to kiss. His deep voice boomed within the helm. "I killed her screaming whelp." He thrust his free hand into Oberyn's unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. "Then I raped her." Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman's mouth, making splinteres of his teeth. "Then I smashed her fucking head in. Like this." As he drew back his huge fist, the blood on his gauntlet seemed to smoke in the cold down air. There was a sickening crunch."

:hefdaddy

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:26 AM »
While Obeyrn isn't exactly a good guy either, Gregor is one of the few examples of someone who is pure good/bad.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
Hodor

Hodor hodor hodor hodor HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR hodor hodor HODOR

Hodor hodor... :\

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
It is known.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »
Jamie Lannister is the best character in the series.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Jaime Tyrion Lannister is the best character in the series.

fixt

also fixt spelling

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
I always fuck up that. 

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
Vargo Hoat ith obviouthly the betht them you noobleth

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »
My favorite series of all time.  The most engaging, engrossing fantasy series there is.  GRRM is very, very dark, and he keeps magic to a minimum, which makes ASOIAF different from the standard epic fantasy series.

Funny thing is, I refuse to watch the HBO series because I don't want it to alter my conception of the series.

GRRM really need to at least put out A Dance With Dragons.  I mean, yeah, he's allowed to do whatever he wants, but he really needs to put out more then one book every 5 years.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
Best. Books. Ever.

I just read that twist sequence in a middle of Storm of Swords, and was so shocked I let out a little yell of rage in the middle of the laundromat. The only reason I stopped reading was to go to work.

Also, Tyrion is the best. End of discussion.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 12:31:55 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
Can't wait for this series and I so hope they don't mess it up.

Haven't got up to date with the books yet, just on the 2nd part of book 3. It's a stunning series. I like how all bets are off with his characters. No one is guaranteed to survive and unlike other authors he isn't afraid to kill off main characters, in fact he seems to enjoy it!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »
Still need to read these...

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
Still need to read these...

Get going, now.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
https://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/4743/

oh my god yes

Holy Shit.  That was done so well; it captures the essence of the story perfectly in that its not just a fantasy; but rather the politics and drama.

Very impressed.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
I finished reading the books last Fall. I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
Huh, he's kinda old - hope he doesn't die before he finishes them =/

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
Huh, he's kinda old - hope he doesn't die before he finishes them =/

He's been delaying on A Dance with Dragons for like, 6 years. He must be getting senile or lazy in his old age.

Although, this bodes well:
In a December 2010 interview with Bear Swarm, Martin stated that he almost has A Dance With Dragons completed.

It doesn't really confirm anything, but hopefully it will be out before the year is done. Hopefully. Then I'll have to wait 6 more months for trade paperback because hardcover sucks balls......sigh.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
He stated he had a lot done with Dance with Dragons prior to Feast for Crows being released since he was originally writing them as one book.  That was five years ago, but I don't think it is senility or laziness that hinders him so much as he sounds like a busy person that actually lives his life.

He and his publisher have stated he is very close to done, though.  A few months back I think he had said all but 2 or 3 POV's were wrapped up, and those not yet done were basically just a chapter or two from completion.

Hopefully the fact that most of the content in the duology of FfC and DwD wasn't meant to be books in the series but gleaned from the characters memories in the later books really just made this a pain in the ass for him to write.  At least if that is true he might go  considerably quicker with the final two books.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
He stated he had a lot done with Dance with Dragons prior to Feast for Crows being released since he was originally writing them as one book. That was five years ago, but I don't think it is senility or laziness that hinders him so much as he sounds like a busy person that actually lives his life.

I guess it's less that I think he's lazy and more that I'm bitter he hasn't finished it yet.  :lol
I can understand that he's a busy guy, especially with the TV show now (I mean, surely he has some input into that), but five whole years IS are really long time to finish a book, especially considering how many promises and delays there have been.

He and his publisher have stated he is very close to done, though.  A few months back I think he had said all but 2 or 3 POV's were wrapped up, and those not yet done were basically just a chapter or two from completion.

Right on. If the book comes out more or less around the time of the show, I think the fans will be kept satisfied for the next little while.

Hopefully the fact that most of the content in the duology of FfC and DwD wasn't meant to be books in the series but gleaned from the characters memories in the later books really just made this a pain in the ass for him to write.  At least if that is true he might go considerably quicker with the final two books.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here. Care to expand?