Which version of Dune do you prefer

Dune - David Lynch
0 (0%)
Dune- The miniseries
1 (11.1%)
Dune- Denis Villeneuve
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Dune (film versions)  (Read 12418 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Dune (film versions)
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2021, 08:53:45 PM »
Of course, back then there weren't a lot of movies that were Part 1 of an ongoing trilogy.  Like, none actually.  Movies were self-contained stories.  It may not be what you expected, but at least you don't get to the end and realize that all it's been doing for two hours is setting up the next movie.  Hollywood has gotten pretty franchise-crazy compared to when we were younger.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2021, 08:41:33 AM »
I think modern audiences are way more used to/lenient to there being parts. That applies to both film and tv(/streaming series).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2021, 08:25:07 AM »
I was reading the book and when reading about the "spice melange" I realised the context of a South Park episode. And now I cannot read those words without hearing over the top voice acting by Trey Parker. Oh well.

My early impression of the book is very good btw.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
Just got back from the theater and I loved it. I don't even know where to start.

But keep in mind, that love is coming from a hardcore Dune fan. Will the average movie going fan enjoy this? Will they have any clue what's going on? Who knows?  :lol

There are many very complicated and intricate concepts that aren't explained in the film and honestly I don't even know how you could explain them and keep the film at a reasonable length. Its all there though, which i loved seeing.

Everybody did a great job in their roles.

Skarsgård in particular was so damn good as the baron. Finally, we get someone who is legitimately threatening, yet not disgustingly over the top like in the lynch version or corny as hell like the mini series.

Hans Zimmer did such an awesome job with the score. It fit so well. Visuals were awesome and breathtaking in spots.

This new film really does this book justice. The mini series was fine, but suffered greatly by the low budget. And the david lynch is what it is.

But yeah, it was awesome. I hope it does well, and I truly would love to see this film completed with a part II

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:30:08 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2021, 02:44:45 AM »
I came into the film knowing nothing about Dune apart from the memes, and I thought the film was strong. The story was pretty easy to follow, sound and visual design was stunning. I think it did suffer a bit from a lack of a strong ending, but not sure how you can really end a film strongly about 2/3rds of the way through the book.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2021, 10:56:56 AM »
I watched it yesterday.  Longtime fan of the original novel.

I thought the approach was incredible.  The visuals were stunning, as was the sound mix and music. 

I didn't really care for the gender change of Kynes, but other than that, I thought it was incredible.

It was also REALLY LONG, but I understand lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2021, 12:04:22 PM »

I didn't really care for the gender change of Kynes, but other than that, I thought it was incredible.

Agreed. It felt unnecessary. They kept all they other characters similar to the book, so why make this one change? It didn't really add to anything.

And in addition, that character was Chani's father, so now I guess she is her mother now?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX. Definitely a visual and audio spectacle, but I feel I would have liked it more if I hadn't read the book.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2021, 06:16:07 AM »
But keep in mind, that love is coming from a hardcore Dune fan. Will the average movie going fan enjoy this? Will they have any clue what's going on? Who knows?  :lol

Like XJ... I've never read the book.  I fully recognize there are parts of the story I don't know or understand, but I loved the film - even though it did feel every bit like a 2h43m movie.  I never felt it dragged, that virtually every scene had a purpose.  The cinematography, and the audiotography (for lack of a better word), were absolutely spectacular.  Anyone considering NOT seeing this in the theatre should really re-evaluate that.  This is one 'those' movies that cannot be replicated at home.

It was more than just watching a movie ... it was an experience.  I really wish there was an IMAX theater closer to me (almost 90 mins away is the closest one).  We've got an "ultra-AVX" format just 20 minutes up the road (IMAX's little sister), so that has to suffice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »
Watched it last night, couldn't wait till I had a chance to hit up the theater. Very, very impressive, will probably watch it in IMAX tomorrow night.

How long till part 2?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2021, 01:02:20 PM »
Had tickets to see it in imax (or something like that) earlier today but ended up getting my booster yesterday and was in no position to go to a theater. Let them keep my money to support Denis, and will possibly watch it at home tonight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »
Watched it last night, couldn't wait till I had a chance to hit up the theater. Very, very impressive, will probably watch it in IMAX tomorrow night.

How long till part 2?

I think I read somewhere that part 2 is a go, and is coming around 2023. I'm happy that the sequel is apparently being made! I thought the movie was great, but I had my doubts that the sequel would be made, because Dune is a pretty obscure Book/Movie.

If only Blade Runner 2049 would have received this kind of box office money.. :\

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2021, 01:56:50 PM »

How long till part 2?

I think I read somewhere that part 2 is a go, and is coming around 2023. I'm happy that the sequel is apparently being made! I thought the movie was great, but I had my doubts that the sequel would be made, because Dune is a pretty obscure Book/Movie.

If only Blade Runner 2049 would have received this kind of box office money.. :\

Just checked the numbers, 40 million so far. I was worried the simultaneous release would hurt them, especially since it's free on HBO unlike the D+ releases that were $30. I read that it looks like a go as well, guess they're hoping on hype and some eventual Academy awards (I'd imagine technical/sound awards and possible original score)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »
Holy fuck, god damn masterpiece. I don't mind any of the changes they made or things skipped. So good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »
That is awesome that people are enjoying it that didn't read the book. Good on Villeneuve for making an all around enjoyable movie.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2021, 07:13:00 PM »
My parents enjoyed it. They haven't read the book and were somewhat lost, but still impressed by the overall spectacle

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »
Haven’t read the book and I loved it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2021, 10:09:10 PM »
I do not envy screenwriters who adapt a well-known and well-loved book for the screen. How does one balance pleasing fans of the book with writing a story people who have never read it can follow and enjoy on its own merits?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2021, 06:41:00 AM »
I do not envy screenwriters who adapt a well-known and well-loved book for the screen. How does one balance pleasing fans of the book with writing a story people who have never read it can follow and enjoy on its own merits?

I think they pulled it off. Yes I was sometimes a bit lost in the beginning, but it was not in a bothersome way. To some degree, trying to comprehend some elements of an alien world based on what you see (instead of being told) can be fun. And in this way it is also still rewarding to read the book, because it still has a lot of things to elaborate/expand upon.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »
Loved it.

Was surprised, however, by how little screen time some of the more major stars ended up getting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
Part 2 is officially greenlit for fall 2023.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »
Best news I've heard today.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »
This day just keeps getting better and better.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2021, 06:17:56 PM »
Great news. Looking forward to my IMAX viewing this Saturday!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »
Watched it tonight with my middle son. I had zero knowledge of the story heading in as I’ve never read the books nor watched the older show. With that being said I really liked it. Was happy to see they announced a second film given how it ended, but it was really well done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2021, 09:57:07 PM »
Went today to see it in IMAX.  I read the book back around '80, watched both the Lynch movie and mini series.  I had very high hopes for this adaptation and was NOT disappointed.  The grandeur and depth of this film was what I have waited for since reading the novel way back in the day.  I think a gauge for me was that there was not one moment in the film that I felt was "Cheesey" or "lacking".  Every scene to me was well executed and enjoyable.  As far as the length?  Yes... it was long, but I never felt bored or complacent.  I was totally engrossed in the whole viewing. I am so happy to see part 2 is green lit!  Well done!!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2021, 03:14:25 AM »

Fuck yeah, looking forward to it!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
I watched Dune the other night and really wished I had seen it in the theater. I might try and still to a Dolby Cinema show if I can make it work. Being a fan of Villeneuve for some time now I knew for sure it would be visually stunning and the audio experience would be phenomenal. I too like others have never read the book or seen any previous material yet was really excited for this movie purely due to Villeneuve's track record, the man has made amazing movies so far and I don't see him slowing down.

I can't believe how engrossed I was in that movie that for me the two and half hours just flew by. When it ended I immediately wanted the second part. I'm so glad it got officially greenlit.

The acting and pacing was just right, even with so much stuff to pack in it was done really well. I'm glad I have it available on HBO Max to keep rewatching but man I'm sure the theater experience will rival no other.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2021, 09:26:56 AM »

:metal :metal :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »
Just saw it on HBO, unfortunately there was no screening of the movie at my local cinema and I didn't wanna travel just to see it even it would've been cool seeing it on the big screen.

I enjoyed it alot at home though but I never read the books and have only seen glimps of the 80s movie so I was kinda thinking, wait is this releated to foundation?  :lol Which of course it's not but it did reminded me of that show at times.  :)

Can't wait for the sequel!

One little thing that "bothered" me, they made an effort to walk in a special way to not lure the sandworm however they dropped their bags on the sand casually?  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »
I watched it last night again but with subtitles and I missed quite a few things before. There's a ton of material and nuances packed in the whole movie which probably is there keeping book readers in mind plus some setup for the sequel. I can see why some reviewers have referred Dune to Game of Thrones in space. I believe the original book came out in the 60s? I'm going to hold off reading it until I watch the sequel. I really love the world designed in the movie. The setting complements the story so well. A fantastic film experience.

I'm really going to try and catch it in Dolby Cinema if I can somewhere, especially after seeing this hour long video of Denis with his sound team.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2021, 10:11:24 AM »

One little thing that "bothered" me, they made an effort to walk in a special way to not lure the sandworm however they dropped their bags on the sand casually?  :lol

I think it's the constant rhythmic thumping that attracts the worms. Seeing as they have a Sand thumper device that summons the sandworm, a simple one-time drop shouldn't be a big deal.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
Dune is #3 on the NY times best-selling list, #1 on Amazon. Seems everyone wants to know what happens and doesn't want to wait two years  :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2021, 12:47:20 PM »
Dune is #3 on the NY times best-selling list, #1 on Amazon. Seems everyone wants to know what happens and doesn't want to wait two years  :lol

Just wait until they get to t-rex arm, sandworm Leto....