Which version of Dune do you prefer

Dune - David Lynch
0 (0%)
Dune- The miniseries
1 (11.1%)
Dune- Denis Villeneuve
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Dune (film versions)  (Read 12335 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Dune (film versions)
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2021, 06:47:08 AM »
Dune runtime clocks in at 2 hours, 35 minutes, with a ton of extra on the editing room floor for a very extended Director's cut.

Josh Brolin saw the final product, calls it a 'cinematic masterpiece'

I'm so fucking stoked for this one.
Chloe Zhao saw it and said it was stunning.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2021, 10:24:53 AM »
I need to watch the TV miniseries one of these days.  I've heard good and bad about it, mostly good.  I can live with cheapo special effects if the story and acting are good.

Re-reading the book now (for at least the fourth or fifth time, maybe more).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:54 AM »
I need to watch the TV miniseries one of these days.  I've heard good and bad about it, mostly good.  I can live with cheapo special effects if the story and acting are good.

It’s got boobies.  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »
That could be significant.  Whose?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »

It’s got boobies.  ;D

And if you're excited by them, I assume they're quite sizely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »

It’s got boobies.  ;D

And if you're excited by them, I assume they're quite sizely.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

I haven’t posted anything like that in years, but I have a feeling I’m never going to live it down.  But yes, it’s no secret that I have a “type”  :angel:

As to the whom…she was a Czech actress that never did anything else that got seen in the US that I know of. But she played Chani in the miniseries.  She wasn’t the size you usually see from my old posts, but she was “blessed”

Online Adami

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2021, 06:46:40 PM »
I looked it up.....you mean Sean Young? Or is this a different version?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2021, 06:49:10 PM »
I looked it up.....you mean Sean Young? Or is this a different version?

“Miniseries”

It was on the Sci-Fi channel in the 1990’s. The DVD version contains content that was edited for television.

I think it’s listed as “Frank Herbert’s Dune”

Online Adami

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »
Gotcha!

Nice. Not amazing, but nice.

Although, Sean Young back in the day wasn't so bad either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2021, 07:43:13 PM »
Gotcha!

Nice. Not amazing, but nice.

Although, Sean Young back in the day wasn't so bad either.

Oh absolutely!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
Early reviews of Denis Villeneuve's Dune are coming in, and they are overwhelmingly positive.

Remember, this is only Part One, approximately the first half of the book.  Villeneuve plans to do Part Two of course, and eventually adapt Dune Messiah to make it a trilogy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2021, 08:06:50 PM »
Been reading them, it seems the more familiar one is with the material, the better the movie is.

Definitely gotta do a re read.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2021, 01:52:01 PM »
Been reading them, it seems the more familiar one is with the material, the better the movie is.

I saw the movie today, as apparently it premiered in Russia yesterday, and I can confirm this. The movie doesn't explain some (or rather a lot of) things. It should still be alright to watch for people who haven't read the books, but I definitely recommend reading the novel / refreshing your memory before watching.

I liked it and I really hope Denis Villeneuve gets to make the second part, because it'd be a shame if this ends up unfinished.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2021, 02:33:48 PM »

I saw the movie today, as apparently it premiered in Russia yesterday, and I can confirm this. The movie doesn't explain some (or rather a lot of) things. It should still be alright to watch for people who haven't read the books, but I definitely recommend reading the novel / refreshing your memory before watching.

I liked it and I really hope Denis Villeneuve gets to make the second part, because it'd be a shame if this ends up unfinished.

I saw the release schedule, it's very wonky, but it kinda makes sense in that they want to capitalize on the foreign market before the simultaneous release in USA cinemas and in HBO Max.

Glad you dug it, I'm highly stoked

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2021, 06:40:22 PM »
I'm doing it on HBO max. Kinda just want to sit and relax at home and watch it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »
I'm doing it on HBO max. Kinda just want to sit and relax at home and watch it.

It's totally an IMAX film for me. I want those sandworms life-size

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
Also I'd say a good sound system is preferable if you're watching it at home, because Hans Zimmer's soundtrack and also (mild spoilers for people who haven't read the books) for the moments Paul and Jessica use the voice. Man, that was kinda scary.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2021, 11:02:02 AM »
Yeah the Zimmer soundtrack alone is worthy of Dolby atmos.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
Well, I went to see it in cinema and it was really impressive. Stunning visuals, captivating story (not familiar with the books), and a great soundtrack as well. Go see it!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2021, 11:55:58 AM »
2/2

Between this and Foundation, we could see proper treatments of the two greatest Sci fi epics ever. In one month

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2021, 01:13:16 PM »
Just saw it with my dad, we both loved it (me being new to Dune, my dad being somewhat of a fan of the original books).

And two of my colleagues loved it as well. I hope it remains successful (openings in EU were promising) and that we will get the sequels.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »
I think it will, it'll be hard to ignore the demand if it's as good as it seems so far

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2021, 03:09:29 AM »
I liked the film so much that I bought the initial book trilogy (EN). Curious to see how I like it, haven't read scifi (or fantasy) for more than a decade.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2021, 03:43:35 AM »
I too saw the film last Wednesday, and really liked it! First film I've seen in cinemas in nearly two years, due to Covid. :tup

I disliked one very important aspect about the film, and I think due to this one specific thing general audiences will not get it. I hope the sequel will be made, but I have my doubts.

Spoilers:

Due to the fact that this film is only the first part, and nothing is resolved in the end will hurt it in the long run. I think audiences who are not familiar with Dune, will be leaving the cinema scratching their head. I hope Part 2 gets made, so that things will get resolved properly. That being said, it was a beautiful film, but it's hard to judge this without seeing the hypothetical part 2..

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2021, 07:20:10 AM »
I too saw the film last Wednesday, and really liked it! First film I've seen in cinemas in nearly two years, due to Covid. :tup

I disliked one very important aspect about the film, and I think due to this one specific thing general audiences will not get it. I hope the sequel will be made, but I have my doubts.

Spoilers:

Due to the fact that this film is only the first part, and nothing is resolved in the end will hurt it in the long run. I think audiences who are not familiar with Dune, will be leaving the cinema scratching their head. I hope Part 2 gets made, so that things will get resolved properly. That being said, it was a beautiful film, but it's hard to judge this without seeing the hypothetical part 2..

I don't know, I think general audiences are capable of understanding that this is part I. And I did not know anything about Dune as well. It works as well for me as, say, Fellowship of the Ring.

In the EU, the film is doing really well in the markets it released. But I am skeptical about the whole HBO deal thing, delayed (US) release and overseas marketing. Dune is topping everything here and has been holding it. I think a worldwide release in cinemas would've been much better, because of the momentum of good reviews and numbers.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »
I think it was a smart move to release it internationally first. Not only can they get paid before the pirates work their way in, they can also drum up hype for it to be seen as a theater worthy spectacle.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
I mean it literally said "Dune Part 1" in big letters in the beginning and I still heard people saying "is that it?" after a movie, so Polarbear might be onto something. :)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »
I think it was a smart move to release it internationally first. Not only can they get paid before the pirates work their way in, they can also drum up hype for it to be seen as a theater worthy spectacle.

Because of the HBO thing on release I do agree. Having it on streaming means high quality piracy from the get go.

I honestly don't know the HBO service, is it big enough in the US? In EU it is non-existent at this point in time. (And in my country it will not come at all probably due to HBO rights being owned by an ISP).

I mean it literally said "Dune Part 1" in big letters in the beginning and I still heard people saying "is that it?" after a movie, so Polarbear might be onto something. :)

Well to be fair the international marketing does call it Dune and does not mention a part. So maybe people are indeed confused because of that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »
Do people still go see movies, spending the $20 or $30 or $40 dollars or more for whoever's going plus concessions, and not even find out anything about the movie they're going to see?  I heard about all the people going to see The Fellowship of the Ring and leaving the theater confused because the story didn't seem to end; it just stopped.  Well, yes.  But I'd also heard for years that it was going to be three movies, and the first one was... just the first one.

Is it possible to research this movie at all, and not know that it's just the first part of the story?  That, and DUNE PART 1 in big bold letters>

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2021, 09:23:30 AM »
Quick search shows HBO as having 47 million US subscribers, for comparison Netflix has 74 million. The big difference between this and say Black Widow on disney+ is that D+ had it for $30, HBO Max is doing it for free.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »
Do people still go see movies, spending the $20 or $30 or $40 dollars or more for whoever's going plus concessions, and not even find out anything about the movie they're going to see?  I heard about all the people going to see The Fellowship of the Ring and leaving the theater confused because the story didn't seem to end; it just stopped.  Well, yes.  But I'd also heard for years that it was going to be three movies, and the first one was... just the first one.

Is it possible to research this movie at all, and not know that it's just the first part of the story?  That, and DUNE PART 1 in big bold letters>

I think most people know…but there’s a shocking amount of people who are “tag along’s”. They aren’t even really into movies, but their friends are going, so they just go to hang out with their friends.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2021, 11:35:30 AM »
Do people still go see movies, spending the $20 or $30 or $40 dollars or more for whoever's going plus concessions, and not even find out anything about the movie they're going to see?
Some do, but I haven't done such a thing in 30 years or so.

I read/watch so much about the entertainment industry now that I'm not sure I would even have such an opportunity now.

If anyone read ANY press on this film, they should know that this is only the first half (roughly) of the novel.  The director has made no secret of it.

The last, and best, time I went into a film completely blind was Pulp Fiction.  Absolutely blown away.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2021, 12:30:19 PM »
That's what I mean.  I can understand the "thrill" of going in blind, and getting blown away, but for me it's just too much money, too much of a time commitment (I know, only a couple hours, but hours I could be doing something else) to just go see a movie I know nothing about.  I pretty go too far the other way, but I just see it as not a good investment.  Before you sink $30 and a couple hours of your life into something, at least find out what you're getting yourself into.

In the old days, when movies were $5 and you had plenty of time to spend/waste/lose, sure.  Today, no way.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »

LotR is especially confounding, as IIRC the trailers gave the release months for all 3 movies. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »
Do people still go see movies, spending the $20 or $30 or $40 dollars or more for whoever's going plus concessions, and not even find out anything about the movie they're going to see? 

When my wife and I started dating, she would say "let's go to a movie tonight" meaning "let's drive to the theater, and pick one based on the posters out front." To me that was too much of a gamble. I know a poster isn't much to go on, and I never felt compelled to read reviews. But I felt like I had enough movie-going experience to know what a movie had to offer me based on the poster.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'