Which version of Dune do you prefer

Dune - David Lynch
0 (0%)
Dune- The miniseries
1 (11.1%)
Dune- Denis Villeneuve
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Dune (film versions)  (Read 12487 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Dune (film versions)
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
Dune is #3 on the NY times best-selling list, #1 on Amazon. Seems everyone wants to know what happens and doesn't want to wait two years  :lol

Just wait until they get to t-rex arm, sandworm Leto....

That'll look dope if done right on cgi

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »
Just saw Dune. EXCELLENT film. Not sure I could’ve hoped for anything much better than what I got.

I am glad that I knew the story a little better because if I’m looking at the movie in isolation, just simply moving Duke Atredies to Arrakis JUST to kill him seems a bit non-sensical. But knowing the story I know that there is quite a bit more to it than that. But on the screen it just came across as, “I’m having you take over Arrakis because House Harkonnen is too powerful…..oh BTW Baron, here’s 3 battalions.”

That was my only very minor complaint. And when you really know the story and can fill in the blanks yourself, the movie becomes nearly perfect
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
Shaddam was a dick.  I haven't seen the new movie, but I've read the books multiple times.  If he came across poorly in the movie, I'm not surprised, but I never liked Shaddam anyway.  Like you said, there's more to it than that, but he did basically stab Leto Atreides in the back because the Harkonnens were the more powerful family.  He gave in to political pressure to screw over a distant kinsman.  He stood to come out ahead in the deal as a nice side effect, which I'm sure helped him decide.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2021, 08:51:51 PM »
Shaddam was a dick.  I haven't seen the new movie, but I've read the books multiple times.  If he came across poorly in the movie, I'm not surprised, but I never liked Shaddam anyway.  Like you said, there's more to it than that, but he did basically stab Leto Atreides in the back because the Harkonnens were the more powerful family.  He gave in to political pressure to screw over a distant kinsman.  He stood to come out ahead in the deal as a nice side effect, which I'm sure helped him decide.

Now that I think about it, he was almost nonexistent. I can’t even recall seeing him physically on the screen although he might have briefly appeared once. The entire party scene from the book (and miniseries) had to be completely cut for time restraints all together. This would’ve been the same scene where Paul meets the emperor‘s daughter. That just never happened. Although I can somewhat see why they might’ve felt that needed to be cut. I still think it’s a rather important part. Maybe we will get it in an extended cut?

We are kind of beyond spoilers at this point, aren’t we? Or should I change the font?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »
I guarantee we're gonna get a fat director cut, I think I saw somewhere that Dennis could have had the movie clock in at 3.5 hours or so.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2021, 05:16:56 AM »
Not only was the emperor not in part 1, but neither was Feyd.

So I look forward to seeing them both in Part II.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2021, 06:11:43 AM »

Now that I think about it, he was almost nonexistent. I can’t even recall seeing him physically on the screen although he might have briefly appeared once. The entire party scene from the book (and miniseries) had to be completely cut for time restraints all together. This would’ve been the same scene where Paul meets the emperor‘s daughter. That just never happened. Although I can somewhat see why they might’ve felt that needed to be cut. I still think it’s a rather important part. Maybe we will get it in an extended cut?

We are kind of beyond spoilers at this point, aren’t we? Or should I change the font?

I think the dinner scene and the water rings/accidental proposal were the two parts I missed from the books, but I understand they have to make choices.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2022, 10:00:09 PM »
OK so way later than everyone else I finally saw Dune after picking up the bluray, and I thought it was fantastic. As an adaptation I was actually surprised by how closely it matched the book, even down to a lot of small details. Even though there was naturally some compression due to the difference between a film and (half of) and 800 page book, I was really glad how much space a lot of the story had, rather than being action heavy like the trailers might imply. Lots of long Villeneuve-y shots that were just beautiful.

I also love how intentionally obtuse a lot of the design direction was; obviously like in the book there's no real computers, all the machines are extremely tactile and mechanical, but even in terms of the forms of the spaceships and the architecture and the costumes, nothing looked like the way years of film have sort of dictated that sci fi things look, instead lots of it was just straight up weird and I thought that was fantastic.

I really like the way the did the Voice. The book described it as sort of a weird whiny tone that kind of grates against your ears, but I think they realized that wouldn't work when you're actually hearing it, and the way they captured it was very distinct and genuinely kind of unsettling to listen to.

I was concerned when watching the trailers how little time the Lady Jessica seemed to get, since she's the most important character in the book apart from Paul, but she's very central to the movie itself which I'm quite pleased with. One of the few things I didn't like was that scene where Leto asks her essentially 'If I die, will you take care of Paul?' which was just kind of a bizarre choice. In the book, there's a bit of a subplot where they know there's a traitor (Yueh), but not who it is, and Leto tells Paul 'obviously they want me to suspect the Lady Jessica and I'll have to pretend I do,' but he personally experiences not even a moment of doubt in her. It's really strange to instead have him ask her whether she'll take care of their son as if that's possibly something he could have any doubt in.

But that's a pretty minor quibble. In all it was amazing, and I'm very excited to see part 2 whenever it's coming out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2022, 04:32:25 AM »
https://youtu.be/Gkf_rdROyWw

The Sound of Dune

Fantastic BTS video on the sound design of the film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2022, 09:37:57 AM »
Walken as emperor

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/12/23069001/dune-2-christopher-walken-emperor-cast

Now, don't get me wrong. I adore Christopher Walken, but I don't know if I see him as the emperor  :lol

But hey, I'm down to see how he does

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
Are you kidding?  They could announce that Walken is playing Eleanor Roosevelt, and I'd be in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2022, 11:20:05 AM »
Walken is a bit like Al Pacino. He is a fantastic actor that has essentially just become a caricature of himself.

But given the chance with a good script and good director who isn't just telling him to do the Walken? He can be amazing.

When I think of Deer Hunter, that movie is filled with some of the best talent in Cinema and Walken is the one that stands out the most. There's been more indie movies of his in the last decade or so that have showcased his talent. I hope this does as well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »
Walken is a bit like Al Pacino. He is a fantastic actor that has essentially just become a caricature of himself.

But given the chance with a good script and good director who isn't just telling him to do the Walken? He can be amazing.

When I think of Deer Hunter, that movie is filled with some of the best talent in Cinema and Walken is the one that stands out the most. There's been more indie movies of his in the last decade or so that have showcased his talent. I hope this does as well.

I imagine it will....this is heading towards LOTR levels of epic, if not even beyond that. The first film was a tiny, tiny appetizer for what's waiting in the second.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2023, 12:40:53 PM »
Trailer for Dune: Part Two

https://youtu.be/Way9Dexny3w

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2023, 12:57:54 PM »
This is the movie I'm most excited for this year! (there aren't that many :lol)

I've watched part 1 three times, and I really like it! :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2023, 01:07:55 PM »
This is the movie I'm most excited for this year! (there aren't that many :lol)

I've watched part 1 three times, and I really like it! :metal

I've never read the books and didn't watch the older movie/show...so...I went in to this one blind so to speak. I really liked it and am excited to see Pt. 2.

I did read a quote the other day that made me laugh though....it said..."Dune Pt. 2 will pick up from exactly the point where fans fell asleep in Pt. 1"  :lol   I can 'see' where some could have thought it boring and slow...but I enjoyed the heck out of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »
Trailer for Dune: Part Two

https://youtu.be/Way9Dexny3w
I am so excited for this.

I am a big fan of the original novels.  I hope this is successful enough that Villanueve gets to film the next book as well.

Offline Adami

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2023, 02:01:11 PM »
My wife is a huge fan of the novels (well, the first few anyway before it becomes armies of hybrid clone things), but for some multitude of reasons that I can't remember, we weren't able to see part 1 in theaters. Will definitely see this one in IMAX.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2023, 02:50:09 PM »
My body is ready

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2023, 09:16:16 AM »
After John Wick 4, this is my most anticipated film release of the year :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2023, 06:31:12 AM »
It can't get here quick enough!  So pumped for pt. 2.  I think I've watched pt.1  4 times.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
New trailer, this one has walken speaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUzQa_1RCE&ab_channel=WarnerBros.Pictures

Can't wait

And I've heard rumors that they greenlit a part 3 which will be Messiah, so that would be cool

Offline Adami

« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2023, 04:45:53 PM »
Looks really cool. Cause of Covid, didn't get to see the first in theaters, but will definitely do everything I can to see this one on the big screen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2023, 05:07:26 PM »
Looks really cool. Cause of Covid, didn't get to see the first in theaters, but will definitely do everything I can to see this one on the big screen.

Oh yeah...this is definitely an IMAX movie.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2023, 02:13:26 AM »
I'll be seeing it at the cinema, if only to experience the soundtrack and sound design with a full surround system.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2023, 05:42:03 AM »
I love the David Lynch version - Sting in a nappy! - if you take it as a big budget Hollywood adaptation of Dune, it's a failure at every level, but if you take it as a David Lynch movie, it's utterly bonkers and there's so much visual spectacle on display who cares if it doesn't make sense? It's like Eraserhead with a budget.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2023, 10:39:30 AM »
True!  When it first came to home video, we got together at my friend's apartment, got absolutely hammered, and watched David Lynch's Dune.  It didn't make a damned bit of sense, but it was spectacular.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2023, 04:52:32 PM »
Dune part 2 pushed to March 2024.

Goddamnit.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
Just came here to post this...so fucking crushed man.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2023, 06:07:08 PM »
I thought it was already in the can! Did they say why?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 08:24:34 PM by jammindude »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2023, 06:29:49 PM »
It's due to the ongoing writers and actors strike. Actors won't be able to promote the movie, no interviews no promos, etc.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2023, 07:11:32 AM »
I understand, but man that sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
Wow, that really sucks

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2023, 01:44:35 AM »
It's due to the ongoing writers and actors strike. Actors won't be able to promote the movie, no interviews no promos, etc.

Understandable, but this still sucks ass!