Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 294931 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #5600 on: October 03, 2017, 05:15:31 AM »
And does this conference just happen to have a microbrewery near by? Hmmm?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5601 on: October 03, 2017, 05:16:48 AM »
Funny you mention that, the dinner tonight is at a microbrewery I didn't even pick it! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5602 on: October 03, 2017, 05:17:38 AM »
Just as I suspected, Bucko.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5603 on: October 03, 2017, 05:19:14 AM »
Speaking of microbrews I need to make it to my local one for Oktoberfest.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5604 on: October 03, 2017, 05:19:56 AM »
Did I mention we have an open tab at the bar at the hotel oh boy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5605 on: October 03, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »
King I'm super jealous . . .

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5606 on: October 03, 2017, 05:22:05 AM »
Oh there'll be hard work but a lot of fun too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5607 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:32 AM »
Oh there'll be hard work but a lot of fun too.

You work hard and you play hard. :zydar:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5608 on: October 03, 2017, 05:36:35 AM »
I more like Danny Glover. I'm too old for this s***. :lol

They all stay up way too late partying.  I party early and get to bed early.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5609 on: October 03, 2017, 06:01:14 AM »
I party early and get to bed early.

That's been my way for years too, but I've been forcing myself to stay up later over the last several weeks. Only going to bed when I'm absolutely exhausted has reduced the night terrors considerably. I'd guess by three-quarters!

Maybe the above comment belongs in the fogey thread.  :blush

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5610 on: October 03, 2017, 06:05:36 AM »
It belongs in the fogey thread once you reveal that your new later time is still only 11pm. :lol :neverusethis:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5611 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:10 AM »
 :rollin

Guilty!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5612 on: October 03, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
It belongs in the fogey thread once you reveal that your new later time is still only 11pm. :lol :neverusethis:

11pm?!?!?  That's a full-on bender for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5613 on: October 03, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
Have a safe flight, Joe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5614 on: October 03, 2017, 07:01:41 AM »

Take it to the fogey thread! :lol I went to bed at 2am on Sunday night (because I accidentally woke up before 7am that day), and that was the earliest I've been to sleep in a long time. Then the next night I went to bed at 6am. Oops.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5615 on: October 03, 2017, 07:03:02 AM »

Take it to the fogey thread! :lol I went to bed at 2am on Sunday night (because I accidentally woke up before 7am that day), and that was the earliest I've been to sleep in a long time. Then the next night I went to bed at 6am. Oops.

Most of us aren't allergic to the Sun, and ... ya know... have things to do when the rest of society is generally functioning.  ;D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5616 on: October 03, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »

Most of us aren't allergic to the Sun, and ... ya know... have things to do when the rest of society is generally functioning.  ;D

That's not my problem! :biggrin:
So any updates on the job hunt?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5617 on: October 03, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »
In Philly.  Hi Nick!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5618 on: October 03, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
Love getting sick on work trips.  So grateful my boss was with me in Denver yesterday and could help me get to an urgent care and cover for me at work.  I don't think I had ever been so happy to be with my boss.  I actually kind of broke down in front of him because it was so bad yesterday.  But thankfully I am feeling better today, not great, but definitely on the better end and since he leaves today (leaving me in Denver for another 10 days) I need to get better quick to finish all my work here. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5619 on: October 03, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »

I interviewed with the position/company that I'm most interested in yesterday.  The hiring manager indicated he wanted me to also interview with the other people that have influence in the role/decision.  So, mission accomplished there - get to the next stage.  Even if that doesn't pan out, I still have 5 or 6 other opportunities in progress.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5620 on: October 03, 2017, 09:37:06 AM »

I interviewed with the position/company that I'm most interested in yesterday.  The hiring manager indicated he wanted me to also interview with the other people that have influence in the role/decision.  So, mission accomplished there - get to the next stage.  Even if that doesn't pan out, I still have 5 or 6 other opportunities in progress.

Great! Are there any of these jobs that aren't optimal but you want to find something, or would any of them be pretty good for you? I mean like travel/pay/role etc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5621 on: October 03, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »

Great! Are there any of these jobs that aren't optimal but you want to find something, or would any of them be pretty good for you? I mean like travel/pay/role etc.

I'm being rather selective in what I'm pursuing.  I'm not anywhere need the point where I *have* to have a job to pay the bills, so I'm only going after things that I would truly enjoy and be a fit for.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5622 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »

I'm being rather selective in what I'm pursuing.  I'm not anywhere need the point where I *have* to have a job to pay the bills, so I'm only going after things that I would truly enjoy and be a fit for.

:hat Very nice. You're lucky you have the freedom to do that. How long have you been off now anyway? I forget how long it's been.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5623 on: October 03, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »

:hat Very nice. You're lucky you have the freedom to do that. How long have you been off now anyway? I forget how long it's been.

Yeah, it has been a very fortunate situation / time of my life.  Literally, it's been a great time in my life.

Seven months now.  Spent the first 3 doing nothing/anything I wanted; started figuring out what I wanted to do with the rest of my working life and casually looking at some job prospects over June/July/Aug; been fully engaged in my search for the past month.  Ideally, I'll have one of them lined up and starting by the end of this month or sometime early November.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5624 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
Good evening folks.

Today marks my last day working a scheduled swing shift. I work this Fr/Sat morning, and then start my Mon-Fri morning schedule :metal

It's actually been a productive 2 days.  I've had 3 different employees who left over the last year for one reason or another come to me and want back on the schedule. One of them being my best friend, who is gonna help me out by picking up at least a shift a week, another being the girl whom I worked 3 days a week with for 3 years. She left a few months ago to go work for our library system. She loves it, but it's a long drive to the 2 different locations she works, and wants some extra cash... so she's picking up at least a shift a week, and more when they come available (that fit around her main job's schedule)... and then yesterday I had a guy who used to work graves come by and tell me that since our old supervisor is out and I'm running the show, he wants back. Full time graves.  So I've spent the day making sure those 3 were reinstated with HR, I did payroll (at least my portion of it), and now I am fact finding for another write up / termination for that trouble making employee who disappeared for 3 hours on the job. It's not even the call I am making. The owner of the company is pissed with a capitol P and wants him out.

It's day 3 and I am actually enjoying the new job :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5625 on: October 03, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
Glad it's working well so far!

You've got a great situation being at a small company when it comes to HR stuff.  When I had to terminate a guy, it took me a good 2-3 months with all of the documentation, processes, evidence, review from multiple lawyers, etc.  Being able to strike while the iron is hot is a great thing.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5626 on: October 03, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
The company is weird about terminations... I've seen it take months before they'd fire guys, but also seen it happen instantly. I think part of it was our supervisor wanting to give people more chances than they're worth.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5627 on: October 04, 2017, 06:10:38 AM »
Good morning troops.

Oddly enough, one of the jobs that I interviewed with last week - where I have all the necessary skills, but none of the knowledge or experience in the industry or these types of products/solutions - I got a 2nd interview with.  Totally wasn't expecting it.  It's like a 20-year airplane mechanic getting an interview to be an auto-mechanic.

I'll take it though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5628 on: October 04, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »
Morning jingle. You're going to make a great auto-mechanic!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5629 on: October 04, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
What up folks.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5630 on: October 04, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
Good afternoon folks. Enjoying my last "weekend during weekdays" off before my schedule changes... and praying that the outgoing supervisor gets the last thing that he needs to do done and doesn't screw me over.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5631 on: October 04, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
So some policital drama at work that I am kind of stuck between....

2 years ago my company bought another company and therefore we acquired their data center here in Denver.  They didn't have a dedicated data center team being a smaller company so their data center is a complete disaster.  Our team has come in and been spending the last 2 years trying to rebuild and migrate their applications onto newer/better hardware that aligns with how we do things.  Now, the guys from the company bought still run their own equipment and we've been running our new equipment we've installed, but the high ups are not impressed with the old company's mess of  data center (the senior director was actually here yesterday) and he dropped the ball on the other company denying them any physical access to their own equipment, or our new equipment.  Now I am here stuck trying to figure out how to fix their old equipment which is a mess, but besides that, those guys are PISSED.  And I understand from a business perspective why, they lost some responsibility, something they've built, and while its a disaster, I'm sure they took pride in building it.  They also probably (and in my opinion, rightfully) feel like their jobs are slowly fading away by merging everything.  So since I am the only one here now and the only who can fix anything, I need to rely on the old crew to guide me.... and as you can imagine, they aren't helping.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5632 on: October 04, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Good morning troops.

Oddly enough, one of the jobs that I interviewed with last week - where I have all the necessary skills, but none of the knowledge or experience in the industry or these types of products/solutions - I got a 2nd interview with.  Totally wasn't expecting it.  It's like a 20-year airplane mechanic getting an interview to be an auto-mechanic.

I'll take it though.

Sounds like how I got my current job. I had a recruiter call me and send me the job description and requirements, read it and thought I wasn't even going to get anywhere past the phone interview, well I got the job :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5633 on: October 05, 2017, 01:03:38 AM »
Jesus fuck.

So I just got a call from work. That dude who's been causing issues no call / no showed. My night lead called him and he said he didn't realize he was working. When he told him that he's on the schedule, he said he was drinking and won't be coming in.

He's working the same schedule he's been working since he was hired. I'm pretty sure I watched my daytime lead even explain the schedule to him. He's already going to be terminated, so this is just the fucking cherry on top of everything.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5634 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:04 AM »
People suck, Jay.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:14:23 AM by BlobVanDam »