Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 294911 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #4935 on: August 26, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
Serious request here. Would anyone be able to post a link for citizen's arrest laws for Florida in this thread? I don't want it being in my browser history and I need to know my rights if shit gets bad with a neighbor.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4936 on: August 26, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
Does your browser have an incognito mode? That'll keep it out of your browser history.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4937 on: August 26, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
My concern is if the law has a way to get around that in case it became part of gathering evidence if a legal matter were to arise from this.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4938 on: August 26, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
Since the Sunshine State doesn't have specific statutes dealing with citizen's arrests, it follows common law on the issue. You can perform a citizen's arrest only if the perpetrator commits a felony -- with certain exceptions -- and you either witness the act yourself or have reason to believe the person is guilty of the crime. Once you detain a suspect, you must call law enforcement officials immediately. Making an unjust citizen's arrest can backfire and land you in court.

MAKING A CITIZEN'S ARREST
If you detain someone because you believe he committed a crime, you must inform him that you are making a citizen's arrest. While Florida generally limits citizen's arrests to felony cases, there are a few exceptions that allow misdemeanor arrests, as when a store employee witnesses a shoplifting. If you decide to make a citizen's arrest, which usually occurs in the spur of the moment, make sure there's plenty of evidence to back you up. You are not permitted to use excessive force to detain a suspect, nor can you deliberately harm the person. You could be charged with assault if you unnecessarily hurt the suspect or you may be charged with false arrest if the police find no evidence of a crime.

https://legalbeagle.com/7258531-florida-citizens-arrest-laws.html

No clue how official that is, but that's what I quickly found.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4939 on: August 26, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
My concern is if the law has a way to get around that in case it became part of gathering evidence if a legal matter were to arise from this.

Damn, is it that serious? They'd probably have to get browser data from your ISP for that.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4940 on: August 26, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »
Thanks Adami. And yes Blob, it's been at critical mass for over a month now. They terrorize us with loud music 24/7. We get a few hours here and there without it but ANY given day I'll hear their bass through my bedroom wall for the entirety of midnight-8am. The cops literally do nothing cuz they probably know one or more of them.

The guy has come to our front door to confront us before too. I figure my stepdad and I could subdue him if he tried it again but we'd need some kind of protocol to work with cuz I don't wanna commit a crime in the process.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4941 on: August 26, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
Do you live in an apartment? If so, have you complained to the landlord?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4942 on: August 26, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
That sucks b_f. How many times have you called the cops on them by now?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4943 on: August 26, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
Thanks Adami. And yes Blob, it's been at critical mass for over a month now. They terrorize us with loud music 24/7. We get a few hours here and there without it but ANY given day I'll hear their bass through my bedroom wall for the entirety of midnight-8am. The cops literally do nothing cuz they probably know one or more of them.

The guy has come to our front door to confront us before too. I figure my stepdad and I could subdue him if he tried it again but we'd need some kind of protocol to work with cuz I don't wanna commit a crime in the process.

I'm not familiar enough with Florida law, but I don't think confronting you verbally at your front door would constitute a felony. I think if you subdued a guy who said he just came to talk to you, especially if you think he has connections in the PD, it won't end too well for you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4944 on: August 26, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Do you live in an apartment? If so, have you complained to the landlord?

Rented house. Worst combo of circumstances possible. I've lived in apartments for 12 years of my life, at least, and know that the more walls between you and the source of noise, the more it gets dampened so you hear it less. If we owned the house, we could sell it and move. Our landlord has been an absolutely insensitive ass about letting us out early. If it was an apartment, we could at least pressure the property management to do something cuz they're often more scared of rising tension among tenants than a homeowner renting to someone they see maybe twice ever (moving in and out.)

That sucks b_f. How many times have you called the cops on them by now?

At least 15. The last time, the cop literally sat by and did nothing while my neighbor openly mocked my mom to her face. It was so unsettling knowing that this cop was almost unquestionably friends with this bum and letting him get away with instigating right out in the open like that.

They've also misquoted the law to me on numerous occasions which I discovered after combing through local ordinances. No less than 3 of them have seemingly gone out of their way to tell me why they had to let him off the hook and there's ALWAYS a technicality. The pattern doesn't lie. Some corruption has to be going on.

Lastly, I think he was told to have zero contact with us after the last time he came on our property (verbally threatened my stepfather and me) so that might fall under the misdemeanor grey area cuz they know it's not a courtesy call so to speak.

One tidbit I forgot to mention is that I once was able to have a cop come into my bedroom so he could hear the noise for himself and he agreed he could hear it. Later on when I spoke on the phone to a different cop, he said that there was documentation that the previous cop had in fact heard the noise from inside my bedroom. Then when I mentioned that to the cop that sat idly by while my neighbor taunted my mom, he said that there was ZERO mention of that in the file history for this ongoing issue.

Either he was lying right there, it magically got erased, or someone erased it intentionally.

I literally feel like the cops in this area will pull out ALL the stops to exonerate my neighbors and due to how clearly they've sided with them, they'd probably jump at the first chance they got to haul any of us in as a means of saying "Don't fuck with us or those connected to us."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4945 on: August 26, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »
I just don't understand that. It's clear that the neighbors have crossed a line.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4946 on: August 26, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
Corruption dude. People who know people get preferential treatment. This past year I've aged visibly. Look at my pic with the mustache I posted yesterday on FB. That's only a year ago and I look clearly visibly younger than I do now.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4947 on: August 26, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
I'd do stupid stuff if the cops would not intervene.  And other neighbors next door complaining?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4948 on: August 26, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
I don't think the apathy works both ways. They're apathetic toward what the neighbor does because they probably know them. I'm guessing you missed the part where I suggested they'd jump at the chance to put a rap on us for the first thing they got the chance to.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4949 on: August 26, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
I'm talking the other house next to yours.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4950 on: August 26, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »
He hates them too but he owns rather than renting and seems unlikely to wanna throw his hat in the ring cuz he's a retiree not really suited for a fight if one were to occur plus he probably plans on that being his home for life.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4951 on: August 26, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
Still even if he corroborates what you say about that asshole neighbor it would help.  I'd talk to him.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4952 on: August 26, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
Is there any civil recourse? Is there a way you can measure the noise in your bedroom and then take him to court for violating noise ordinances?

How much longer do you have on your lease?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4953 on: August 26, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
So I don't know Florida laws.. but believe me I deal with a lot of bullshit here. I can tell you that what he did (yelling, etc) is far from something that can constitute a Citizen's Arrest. It will backfire on you and you can be hit with holding someone against their will, assault, etc. Next time you call PD, see if you can request a supervisor or a watch commander. Explain the situation to them. Or (I don't know how your PD is set up but..) see if you can speak with the Beat Coordinator (basically the Sr Officer on for your specific part of town). When I have issues with dick cops at work, a word with the Beat Coordinator usually makes helps. Or you can even go down to your local station and ask to speak with someone. It can not even be an issue with the cops being dicks, but more of the inconsistencies in the info you are receiving. (I say that because it more likely they'll talk to you if you don't come off as wanting to throw their guys under the bus).

Another issue with noise complaints is it's really up to the Officer's discretion. That makes it even harder. Because if the cop doesn't want to deal with it, he can shrug it off.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4954 on: August 26, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »
Still even if he corroborates what you say about that asshole neighbor it would help.  I'd talk to him.

Good idea but it ain't gonna work. My mom's already tried. He's afraid of the threat they represent cuz they have several times a year where they have a shitload of people at their house and that could lead to a dangerous situation if you're having a feud with someone that has a mob at their house willing to fuck with you out of retribution.

It really sucks but I feel for him cuz he's stuck here as a homeowner.

Is there any civil recourse? Is there a way you can measure the noise in your bedroom and then take him to court for violating noise ordinances?

How much longer do you have on your lease?

The only civil recourse is paying ~$300 and taking it up with code enforcement. None of us here have that kinda money to blow on something like that right now. The cops said they have to be here when the noise is happening despite the fact that I've asked every single one I've seen if there's any legally enforceable manner in which to collect evidence. I also feel like they might be lying on that one too since I've never heard of a crime for which it's impossible to collect evidence.

The lease ends in November which may not sound like long to some of you but I'm at a stage of mental duress I've never been in my life and I grew up with social anxiety throughout my childhood and got bullied a bit. At least when I was bullied in the past, being at home was a safe area away from it all. Now home is the last place I wanna be and my car's AC is out so it's miserable trying to drive a hot-ass black car in 90-95 degree heat so I can't really just do that to get away.

Worse yet. Last football season, they'd be blasting loud shit for 6-8 hours every Sunday and many Saturdays too so I'm absolutely dreading what lies ahead. On top of this, another neighbor whose property borders ours blasts loud music for at least an hour at a time well past midnight (til 3am one night recently) so I've had to call the cops on them nearly ten times in the last few months.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4955 on: August 27, 2017, 04:56:31 AM »
Good morning folks.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4956 on: August 27, 2017, 05:01:11 AM »
Sup bb <3

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4957 on: August 27, 2017, 05:33:34 AM »
Geezuz Josh... what a horrible fucking situation.  Mrs.jingle and I had that (not nearly as bad) when the jingle.kids were just babies.  We had a semi-detached house, and the connecting neighbours teenage-asshole-drugie kid would blast music at all hours as well - and his bedroom connected to the babies' nursery.  I could hear it in the shower, and over the noise of our dishwasher.  It would rattle the walls sometimes.  We had the cops over a couple of times, but nothing came of it.  When a drug buyer came to our house by mistake to pickup/buy some dope, that was the final straw.  "For Sale" was on the yard a few days later.

Any thought of just bailing on your landlord?  Tenancy laws are usually such bullshit, evictions and/or collections aren't worth the legal costs, nor are they expeditious.

Sucks shit for you guys until December. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4958 on: August 27, 2017, 06:25:42 AM »
Morning.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4959 on: August 27, 2017, 06:26:19 AM »
Morning king.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4960 on: August 27, 2017, 06:33:52 AM »
Went to bed at 2:30am.  I woke up at 8:30am.   Damn old age.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4961 on: August 27, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »
How do you post at 8:25 if you got up at 8:30??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4962 on: August 27, 2017, 06:35:40 AM »
I went to bed at 5:30am, woke up at 2:30pm. Feels good man.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4963 on: August 27, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »
You go to hell.  To hell with your bohemian sleep patterns.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4964 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:23 AM »
If I kept regular human sleeping patterns, I wouldn't get to chat with my pal king as much. :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4965 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:51 AM »
Went to bed at 930pm. Was up at 330am. Yay for overtime!

Funny, I received a call from work JUST as I was drifting off to sleep.

I always tell the guys not to call me unless someone is dead or the place is on fire. Well,  There was smoke but no fire. :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4966 on: August 27, 2017, 06:45:11 AM »
Jay your town up.

Blob as proven,  the world revolves around me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4967 on: August 27, 2017, 06:46:48 AM »
Jay your town up.

Translation? Google translate doesn't have a "King to English" option.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4968 on: August 27, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »
Jay your town up.

Blob as proven,  the world revolves around me.

I could make a joke about spheroid shaped objects of mass having gravitational pull, but I won't.

Oh wait, I just did. Sorry.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4969 on: August 27, 2017, 06:52:56 AM »
 :lol

Grown to town.  I have no answers.

I have no answers.