Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 295598 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #2450 on: April 18, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
Or in my case..... actually I have no idea who any of the people on the Australian notes are. :lol

:lol Classic.
They appear to have based this on the $5 note for some reason though. Our biggest note (100) is yellow.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: April 18, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Yea that's important, got to keep the content coming.  I have a soft goal of making one youtube video a week to try and keep my content flowing and since it seems I typically get a subscriber or two per video I release, it makes sense.  However, it's much easier to release video game video or concert footage than a totally original animation.  One of my good friends has a fairly successful channel, he makes about $300 a month so he has given me some help with getting my page going, but now he hardly makes any videos (I think he is getting tired of it).

The good thing about Youtube is that you can create whatever you want if you get bored of creating one particular thing. My goal for this year is 6 proper videos, which may or may not be doable. How serious are you about your Youtube channel?

Not terribly serious, but serious enough to commit a lot of time to it.  It's mostly fun and I limit my videos to things I just do regularly, as in I don't go out of my way to make videos.  But I love editing and my attempts at being funny while gaming.  I also have little interest in spending money on my hobby, my other friend has to have the best camera and pays for advertising, I have paid with adwords before and will use it strategically, but I am not interesting in dumping money into my channel at this point besides the initial cost of getting the venezualan chick to pose for a few pictures for me  :lol 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: April 18, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
Yea that's important, got to keep the content coming.  I have a soft goal of making one youtube video a week to try and keep my content flowing and since it seems I typically get a subscriber or two per video I release, it makes sense.  However, it's much easier to release video game video or concert footage than a totally original animation.  One of my good friends has a fairly successful channel, he makes about $300 a month so he has given me some help with getting my page going, but now he hardly makes any videos (I think he is getting tired of it).

The good thing about Youtube is that you can create whatever you want if you get bored of creating one particular thing. My goal for this year is 6 proper videos, which may or may not be doable. How serious are you about your Youtube channel?

Not terribly serious, but serious enough to commit a lot of time to it.  It's mostly fun and I limit my videos to things I just do regularly, as in I don't go out of my way to make videos.  But I love editing and my attempts at being funny while gaming.  I also have little interest in spending money on my hobby, my other friend has to have the best camera and pays for advertising, I have paid with adwords before and will use it strategically, but I am not interesting in dumping money into my channel at this point besides the initial cost of getting the venezualan chick to pose for a few pictures for me  :lol 

Didn't that only cost you like $5? :lol
The only money I spend on my videos is for voice acting, because I can't really do that myself (and couldn't do it well enough regardless). All of my upcoming video ideas require it too. I'm waiting on a voice actor to get back to me now about my current video. My did the voice of C3PO and Jar Jar Binks in one of my videos, and it turned out great.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: April 18, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
 :lol it was $5 for the logo and $20 for the girl.  I also gave her a $5 tip since I find her work to be fairly personal.  I've considered the idea of getting another girl for pictures too just to switch it up, maybe next year.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: April 18, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
Oh sorry. Now I feel bad for undervaluing a girl. :lol Tbh, I don't really think adding pictures of girls is necessary.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: April 18, 2017, 12:28:22 PM »
Probably not, I thought it might help with attract young guys eyes (I think my key demographic is younger males).  It hasn't proven to work, but I can't say I don't like it.

But that type of feedback is what I need, someone to say, this idea sucks.  All my friends either ignore my requests for feedback or just say some generic positive response which is fine, but doesn't help me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2456 on: April 18, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
Tbh, I don't really think adding pictures of girls is necessary.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: April 18, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »
Probably not, I thought it might help with attract young guys eyes (I think my key demographic is younger males).  It hasn't proven to work, but I can't say I don't like it.

But that type of feedback is what I need, someone to say, this idea sucks.  All my friends either ignore my requests for feedback or just say some generic positive response which is fine, but doesn't help me.

It's not that it's a bad idea, I just don't think it's a priority to be spending money on it, and I doubt it will help enough to warrant it. It may get a second look if your video shows up in a search, but the more important question is how people are finding your videos to begin with. If they're searching for the relevant search terms, would your video show up in the pages of results? If they watch it, what makes it unique from the rest? Is there anything in your videos that compels people to share it around? People will subscribe if your video entertains them enough, and your channel in general gives them something they don't get from other channels they already follow. Gaming channels are hard to start these days because it's an oversaturated area due to the low barrier of entry, and the fun people have doing it whether it's profitable or not.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »

It's not that it's a bad idea, I just don't think it's a priority to be spending money on it, and I doubt it will help enough to warrant it. It may get a second look if your video shows up in a search, but the more important question is how people are finding your videos to begin with. If they're searching for the relevant search terms, would your video show up in the pages of results? If they watch it, what makes it unique from the rest? Is there anything in your videos that compels people to share it around? People will subscribe if your video entertains them enough, and your channel in general gives them something they don't get from other channels they already follow. Gaming channels are hard to start these days because it's an oversaturated area due to the low barrier of entry, and the fun people have doing it whether it's profitable or not.

Well I envision the girl more like my face to represent the "brand" in a way.  I use the picture of her holding my logo in almost all of my youtube thumbnails as a way of showing the "brand".  I figured it would be like eye candy.  So far, I haven't seen anything to prove this has worked, at all.  But I personally didn't find the $25 investment as too much since it put some sort of identity to my channel that I did not have before, and while I put myself in a lot of my videos, I don't want my ugly face to be the logo for my channel.  (I actually thought about this today when I saw on twitter some other gamer's logo to be him and he was so ugly that I thought "Wow Im glad to have this girl"). 

As for how do I get exposure, through google adwords is one way.  But that costs money.  I started tweeting all my videos and increasing my twitter presence to promote my channel.  I think this works, but not on a large scale, not yet at least.  I get a lot more followers on twitter but it hasn't lead to subscribers on youtube.  I know for a fact a lot of my videos show up on search results, I suggest downloading tubebuddy which is a chrome extension and it shows you where you rank in searches.  Not all of my videos rank, but some do, and some of my music videos rank fairly highly actually.  Just type in "Now the world" in youtube and my video will pop up. 

Granted, my biggest hits on youtube are music videos that I have no ownership over.  BUT, my idea was to use the music videos which draws people to my channel to get them to watch my other videos that I own and can monetize (I do this by setting up playlists, using cards, and ends screens).  I'm actually slowly (as in EXTREMELY slowly) seeing some gains here the more and more videos I post.  That's exactly why I said I have a soft goal of one video per week.  I think that's been the best way for me to get exposure.

As for my gaming videos, the only thing that makes them unique (I think) is my commentary and reactions.  I haven't seen many videos done the way I do them.  Example (and honestly, I think this is my best video) Battlefield 1 Behemoth Comeback where its an entire match condensed to about 7 minutes with my live playing commentary mixed in with my after the game commentary to explain a story of what happened in the game (while being extremely over dramatic).

Do you have any tips or tricks? 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
Is there enough overlap between the kinds of people looking for the music videos, and those who looking for gaming videos? Directing people to your video is only the start, they also need to be the right people for it. I have that issue with some of my videos, because at the moment I'm all over the place (specifically because I don't want to be pigeonholed into one particular thing). And I tend not to follow a channel if too high a percentage of their content is stuff I'm not interested in, even if there's stuff I am interested in. I think a channel needs to have focus, even when there's variety.
As for social media, I suck at that, so I'm no help there. :lol I don't even share my videos with friends and family, I usually just upload them and leave them. That's mostly worked because my videos have gone somewhat viral because they're different. For regular content like gaming, it's probably going to be a lot more grinding, constantly uploading, sharing, and improving your content.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
Yea, your content is wayyy more unique and original so it makes sense.  And you have a point about my audience.  I'm a bit all over the place as well with my content, it's not just music and video games, it's animal videos and what I call stupidity as well.  I don't really have any interest in building multiple channels or do only focus on one of the genres I make videos in, since I just do it mostly for fun.  I don't make money and I don't have any expectations of making money, but it would be cool to get a following and some interest.

Also, I don't share my videos with my family either  :lol 

And the gaming is more constant, but that's what leads me to hitting my weekly goal, all I need to do is play games during the week and I *should* if I don't play like shit, have content to make a video out of.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2461 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
You need more Jeffries tubes in all your videos.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2462 on: April 18, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
Happy Cozmo Day.  Don't spam the spam thread.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: April 18, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/fox11la/videos/10158570136655553/

Live car chase in case anyone else is bored like I am.

My boss started a new chat room at work to discuss the car chases.  Its the most active of any chatroom at work  :lol.  This is why I do like my job.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: April 19, 2017, 05:01:54 AM »
Good morning

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: April 19, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
Morning Reap.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: April 19, 2017, 05:58:22 AM »
Like good morning or something.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: April 19, 2017, 06:01:01 AM »
Good morning or night or whatever time of day it is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: April 19, 2017, 06:08:31 AM »
Good time of the day to you too sir.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: April 19, 2017, 06:08:42 AM »
Alternative phaser settings :

1. That moment where you're about to leave the house but you suddenly need a poo

desperately.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: April 19, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »
After you already went once after you woke up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: April 19, 2017, 07:13:03 AM »
I keep correcting another site manager's spelling on Instant Messenger and I wonder if Blob's mind would blow up if he saw this. :lol

Add DTF to being blown away.  I'm chuckling to myself right now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: April 19, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
I didn't realize you worked IN BIZARRO WORLD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: April 19, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »
I am. It's so funny.  I told him I was out of it. 

He told me to get my shit to gether.

I told him "together".  Alright I'm back. :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2474 on: April 19, 2017, 07:21:29 AM »
Goddammit king
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: April 19, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
Tee Hee.

We things couldn't have gone better yesterday for dad.  Now we cross our fingers on the results.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2476 on: April 19, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
*crosses fingers*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2477 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
G'morning all. Glad to hear it's so far so good with your dad Joe :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2478 on: April 19, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Warning: Do not attempt humor on the DT side--no matter how lame. It will offer offense. DT is serious fucking business!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: April 19, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »
I want to but people are so freaking serious.  What thread?  I want to pile on. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: April 19, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »
The "Dear Dream Theater" thread.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
And my 2 cents were thrown in. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: April 19, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Home from work!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: April 19, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
Time to chill.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: April 19, 2017, 05:39:31 PM »
Yup, this is the best time, the non work time :lol