Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 290132 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #5880 on: October 19, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »
Morning Blob, morning King.

There's another dead Bishop on the landing.

Slang or real Bishop?

Morning, folks! What's the latest?

What up dawg.....   I can't wait for next week.  Going to be a fun week.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5881 on: October 19, 2017, 07:04:30 AM »

WHAT'S NEXT WEEK? DIVULGE YOUR SECRETS!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5882 on: October 19, 2017, 07:05:47 AM »

Slang or real Bishop?

Well, it looked a bit Bath and Wells-ish to me.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5883 on: October 19, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »
Morning blob. Nothing new with me, my friends parents were driving through town from Canada so I had them stop over last night. Went out and some amazing burgers. I’m at work waiting for the day to be over lol.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5884 on: October 19, 2017, 07:25:46 AM »
Morning blob. Nothing new with me, my friends parents were driving through town from Canada so I had them stop over last night. Went out and some amazing burgers. I’m at work waiting for the day to be over lol.

Aw, it was better when you were working from home!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5885 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:06 AM »

WHAT'S NEXT WEEK? DIVULGE YOUR SECRETS!

Going to another site and a road trip with another site manager. Then Friday the wife and I are going to Vermont for our anniversary.  We come back the next day to go to my brother's Halloween party. I'm going as The Skipper from Gilligan's Island and sunday my best bud's daughter's 18th birthday party.  Where the hell did the time fly by?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5886 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »

Slang or real Bishop?

Well, it looked a bit Bath and Wells-ish to me.

So it sound like dropping the kids off at the pool. (American slang) :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5887 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
Just found out I got promotion at work that I 100% don't want. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5888 on: October 19, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
Did you apply for it Brian?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5889 on: October 19, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
Did you apply for it Brian?

Negative. I was on a team of two. I'm an associate level BA and my teammate was a senior level BA. I was told yesterday he's transferring and I am now considered senior level and will be taking over all of his duties effective immediately. I literally had 0 say in this decision and saying I don't want it would likely be the end of me here. Not taking the opportunity to advance up the ladder is the most frowned upon thing at this place. Not doing so would make me appear not committed or serious about my work for this company. It's lame.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5890 on: October 19, 2017, 08:02:38 AM »
More money I hope at least?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5891 on: October 19, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »
No word of that yet.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5892 on: October 19, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »
Yea you better be getting some extra cash on the deal chino.

It’s the same mentality here, everyone needs to be moving up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5893 on: October 19, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
A title change better come with more cash.  Hopefully the lettuce business starts working for you and you can get out if the job if it is what you think it will be.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5894 on: October 19, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
No word of that yet.

I would refuse if there is no money involve.  Jr. to Sr. is a big step.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5895 on: October 19, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
No word of that yet.

I would refuse if there is no money involve.  Jr. to Sr. is a big step.

If not money, at least negotiate a good parking spot.  :chino2:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5896 on: October 19, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
A title change better come with more cash.  Hopefully the lettuce business starts working for you and you can get out if the job if it is what you think it will be.

I'm delivering 40 heads to some restaurant owners tonight as free samples. I'm really hoping something comes of it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5897 on: October 19, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »
Nice, haven't seen an update in awhile and given your hate for your job, good to see it's still something you're working on

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5898 on: October 19, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
Good luck with the restaurants.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5899 on: October 19, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
Nice, haven't seen an update in awhile and given your hate for your job, good to see it's still something you're working on

Oh yeah. I've been at it hard. There hasn't been a whole lot to update (at least stuff that I figured you guys would find interesting). The last 10 weeks have been mostly doing experiments with different lighting configurations and troubleshooting a laundry list of issues with the new location.

The first 200 heads or so were showing calcium and iron deficiencies so that took some time to sort out. They were turning brown in the middle (calcium issue) and the younger leaves had yellowing patterns as they emerged (iron issue). I ended up bypassing the water filtration system in the house all together and drawing water straight from the well. That solved the iron issue but I was still low on calcium. I have to add calcium to the water supply, but it's been smooth sailing since then.

The electricity/lighting was a pain in the ass. The system I bought had an optional lighting kit ($1400) that I purchased. I figured I might as well keep it professional and buy the lighting designed for my machine. I had to wire the ballasts for 24 fixtures and run them all through the timing system. The seedling area required another 8 bulbs. Well, once I got all 32 bulbs running at a time, I started tripping breakers. I thought I could run the whole thing on a 20 amp circuit since my math was showing 18.6ish amps at full load, but I was still tripping the GFIs I installed. I had to put another 20 amp breaker in and split the load. Once that was sorted out I was able to run the entire rig without issues, with the exception of temperature. With 32 T5 fluorescents lit at once, my room temps were pushing close to 95F, which was in turn causing my reservoir to reach almost 80F. That's far too hot. I was having issues with the seedlings and the maturing lettuce was showing lots of stress. Running an AC would add another expensive utility and would kill my profit margin, so that wasn't an option. I decided to go on a quest for LED lighting. I avoided this from the beginning because it's usually very expensive. I bought all kinds and had no luck. Relatively expensive LED tubes ($200 for 8) labelled for growing gave me nothing but trouble. I eventually found some promising sounding ones on Amazon. They weren't advertised for growing, but they met all the criteria (lumens, wattage draw, K rating, etc). They were the lowest priced lights I found and they happened to work like a charm. I bought 6 initially and had great results. I recently outfitted the rest of the rack with them and I'm ready to go full throttle. The best part is that they use 65% less electricity than their fluorescent counterparts, and they give off no heat. The room is holding at a cool 71F, which is basically ideal.

So as of last week I got the thing completely dialed in and am ready to fire on all cylinders.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:51:04 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5900 on: October 19, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5901 on: October 19, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
Damn dude, lots of progress there and issues overcome.  That's awesome.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5902 on: October 19, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
Morning peeps.

I finally upgraded to a Galaxy S8 yesterday. It's like insanely fast compared to my Galaxy S4 I had been using.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5903 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
Who knew?   I'm so fascinated (in a sincere way) how things we take for granted have such details to them.  I remember both of my grandmothers having gardens, and growing most of their own vegetables, but other than smearing cow shit in between the rows, it was plant seeds, water, and wait.    Sure, some of the vegetables looked like hell (and are thus, for Chino's purposes, unsellable) but they always tasted fresh.   

I know it drives some people crazy, but I love that process of trouble shooting, and the satisfaction and pride from dialing it in the right way when you're done. 

I'm impressed. Chino, and wish you the best of luck.  If you get into any grocery stores, let me know; I'm not down the street from you, but I do try to eat salads a couple times a week, so it might be worth it to drive for a quality product.  Nothing worse than going for a head and finding the center all brown and soft.  What type of lettuce?  Iceberg? Romaine?  Something else?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5904 on: October 19, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
I know it drives some people crazy, but I love that process of trouble shooting, and the satisfaction and pride from dialing it in the right way when you're done. 

Totally agreed.  There's a lot of pride in your work when you go through the troubleshooting process and come out on top of it. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5905 on: October 19, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Who knew?   I'm so fascinated (in a sincere way) how things we take for granted have such details to them.  I remember both of my grandmothers having gardens, and growing most of their own vegetables, but other than smearing cow shit in between the rows, it was plant seeds, water, and wait.    Sure, some of the vegetables looked like hell (and are thus, for Chino's purposes, unsellable) but they always tasted fresh.   

I'm impressed. Chino, and wish you the best of luck.  If you get into any grocery stores, let me know; I'm not down the street from you, but I do try to eat salads a couple times a week, so it might be worth it to drive for a quality product.  Nothing worse than going for a head and finding the center all brown and soft.  What type of lettuce?  Iceberg? Romaine?  Something else?

I'm doing Romaine and Butterhead for now. I have a few hundred Purple Oakleaf seeds on standby as well (that's the easiest of the 3 to grow). I did a bunch of basil for the first time and had outstanding results. Only drawback was that I grew it in my lettuce rack so it started bumping into the lights in no time. I'm currently designing a second system specifically for basil that'll have another 8" or so of room to allow for the plants to really mature. I actually just started a new batch of romaine and basil from a supplier I've never used before. Up until now I've been paying $11 per 100 seeds. The stuff I'm trying now is $5 for 3000 seeds.

If you're ever going to be in the Hartford area let me know. If I have some ready I'll bring some to work with me and meet you at some point.

Later tonight I'll upload some recent pics to the thread I started for this.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5906 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:24 AM »
Good morning folks. Can't wait to get this work day out of the way, going to enjoy a fire tonight.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5907 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »
You're going to set your place of work on fire?!

Ok.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5908 on: October 20, 2017, 05:26:02 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5909 on: October 20, 2017, 06:20:09 AM »
Morning guys.

I'm having someone over to the house for dinner and drinks tonight. I've been acquainted with him since 2006 but exclusively through the internet. From forums much like this and through Facebook.

I know some of you have gone through these meet-ups before. Is it natural to be a tad apprehensive?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5910 on: October 20, 2017, 06:21:37 AM »
I'd be apprehensive. All of these internet people from forums etc are total weirdos.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5911 on: October 20, 2017, 06:22:25 AM »
From most I've met, all have been good.  I think you know who the normal people on sites that you've talked to for a while.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5912 on: October 20, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »
Indeed, but it gets worse Blob, the dude is a scientist. His work has been used by NASA for the Mars missions. What the fuck is a moron like me going to talk with him about.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5913 on: October 20, 2017, 06:29:44 AM »
Indeed, but it gets worse Blob, the dude is a scientist. His work has been used by NASA for the Mars missions. What the fuck is a moron like me going to talk with him about.  :lol

:lol Well you must have something in common if you've been in touch this long and invited him over.
I'd probably just ask him about his work, because I bet he knows lots of cool shit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5914 on: October 20, 2017, 06:42:01 AM »
I'd be apprehensive. All of these internet people from forums etc are total weirdos.

This  :lol

Typically I don't invite my dates over for the first time meeting, maybe after some drinks in a public spot though.