Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 294275 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #490 on: February 28, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
Thanks guys, seriously all the interviews I went to already put me in a negative mindset but I guess constantly going paid off.

Give your bike a clean and wax and top up her tank to celebrate. YOU DESERVE IT  :hug:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: February 28, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
I got the job this morning that I was interviewing for!

I came in for the panel interview, met with 5 people I met with the initial manager who would be my boss and he offered the job to me on the spot. I'm blown away both because I got the job right away and that it's at a much higher pay rate than expected, almost double my current salary.

After three straight months of rejection after rejection I feel pretty good.

hell yea congrats!  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: February 28, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »
so what's happening with you guys this afternoon?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: February 28, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »
It's pancake day !!!

Went up to Dads for dinner and pancakes and started up my bike and rode her up the drive and back a few times.  Seems fine. hoping to book her test this week.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #494 on: February 28, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
Hoping to sail through the end of the work day relatively unscathed, then I head into NYC tonight to start weekly classes to prep for the test to become a certified judge for homebrew competitions.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
Axe what goes into becoming a certified judge?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »

Curious as well.

The best part about work travel is all my expenses paid so free food. I'm out getting Mexican food at Olvera street which is apparently the oldest street in LA and has a bunch of shops and restaurants with authentic food.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
That's one thing I'm jealous of with my gf's work. She gets a good amount to spend on food per day and gets to try a bunch of new restaurants.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #500 on: February 28, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »

There are two components to your beer judge status, test scores and points.

First there is a web based test that you can take at any time. 180 multiple choice questions on beer styles, brewing processes and ingredients, and the BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) to be completed in an hour. You are simply graded pass/fail with no numerical score, and you can attempt the test up to once a day.

Once you pass that test you're considered Provisional and not yet an official judge. Provisional status allows you to sit for the Judging Exam, wherein you're served six beers blind and asked to fill out a score sheet for each one as if it were a competition. You have 90 minutes to complete all six, and your scoresheets are then graded by highly experienced judges. A score of 60 is needed to pass and become a Recognized judge.

At this point you're considered an official judge and can begin judging at BJCP sanctioned competitions. From there you can get up to the rank of Certified with a score of at least 70. This is where points come into play, as you accrue points as a judge for judging or otherwise working behind the scenes at competitions. So in addition to the 70 you need to accrue 5 points total from working competitions, half of which has to come from actual judging and not other work.

To advance further you need to take a second written exam, consisting of multiple choice questions about judging and five written essays. What makes this exam tough is that the material covered by multiple choice is information that all judges are expected to know, so you don't gain any points for correct answers, you just lose points for wrong ones.

The three levels beyond Certified are National (minimum score of 80 on the Judging Exam, minimum composite score of 80 taking the average between Judging and Written, 20 judging points), Master (80/90/40) and Grand Master (80/90/100).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: February 28, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
That's pretty cool axe :tup

stupid question but do you guys use a spit bucket like wine tasting?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
That's pretty intense.  Do you get paid to be a judge?

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #503 on: February 28, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
That's pretty cool axe :tup

stupid question but do you guys use a spit bucket like wine tasting?

Hell no :hat

Judging is typically done in pairs (though sometimes there'll be three if the competition has a surplus of judges signed up) and each judging team will judge anywhere from 6 (high ABV category and/or lots of judges available) to 10-12 (low ABV category and/or shortage of judges) beers in their assigned flight. Entrants are required to submit two bottles of each beer they're entering, and the judges will be provided one, which they'll open and pour out a couple ounces of each. They'll try it separately and fill out the scoresheets with comments and such. Once they're done they'll come up with preliminary scores and discuss. They take into account the quality of beer as well as how it fits the style it's entered in. Scores are out of 50 (3 for appearance, 12 for aroma, 20 for flavor, 5 for body/mouthfeel, 10 for overall) and if the judges are too far apart they'll talk about why and may revise their final scores up/down. It's not uncommon for the judges to come to a different number, but they should be in the same ballpark. The average of the two scores is then that beer's official score.

If a single judging team has a flight that covers an entire category, then the highest three scores the judges give to that flight become first/second/third for that category. More commonly, more than one judging team is working on a subset of the entries for a given category. What happens then is that after all the teams working on a category finish their flights they get together and each brings any entries from their flight that they think is worthy of further consideration. All the judges (or at least one rep from each team that worked on the category) then try all the worthy contenders and debate and decide on first/second/third for a given category. This is called a Mini Best in Show. Once every category has been judged and winners determined, a panel is assembled to try all of the first place beers (hence the second bottle) and determine an overall first/second/third Best in Show. In addition a local brewer will sometimes be on the panel and choose a Brewer's Choice in addition to the Best in Show that the brewer eventually brews a commercial batch of.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: February 28, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
sweet, how many competitions do you think you'll be judging?

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #505 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
That's pretty intense.  Do you get paid to be a judge?

Nope, it's all on a volunteer basis.

sweet, how many competitions do you think you'll be judging?

Probably not too many at least at first, mostly because I'm not terribly mobile (no driver's license). There are a couple in NYC and north Jersey that I can make it too without too much trouble, but that's about it. Once I'm clear of my student loan debt and settled in a condo I may use it as an opportunity to do a bit of travel. Competitions are typically on weekends, maybe a Friday night session if it's a big one. Could easily plan a long weekend around a day or two of sightseeing and a day or two of judging.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
That's a lot of effort for becoming a judge all for fun, but I know you love that so that's cool

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
That's a lot of effort for becoming a judge all for fun, but I know you love that so that's cool

Well it's also two other things. One it's a bit of giving back to the community. I've entered a bunch of competitions over the years, and getting impartial feedback has been invaluable for me as a brewer. Second, prepping for the exam should make me much better at evaluating my own beer and thus make me a better brewer. We'll be getting into things like different off flavors (what they are, how they occur, and when they might be appropriate) and style minutiae (e.g. tasting two different pilsners and being able to discuss which is Czech, which is German, and why).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2017, 03:44:21 PM »
Yea that's nice to give back, think you'll ever open a microbrewery? 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2017, 04:27:27 PM »
If you open a microbrewery I'm there axe

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
so what's happening with you guys this afternoon?

Not much. Finished up with the shit I needed to take care of... and ran into an old coworker from the county job (not surprising, as I was across the street from my old office during lunch time.) The guy told me that they are so swamped that it's not even funny. They are doing 3x the workload that was expected.. and he alone has over 100 untouched cases, half which are overdue (in comparison, I as a trainee, was considered underwater with my 20 untouched and 5 overdue when I was fired). And it's not just him. The entire dept is drowning, as expected for this time of year (they took in new Medi-Cal /Medicaid cases from ACA referrals, and Open Enrollment killed them). -I am so glad I am not there.

I then came to work 2 hours early, threw on headphones, and walked the Marina. It was nice to just get away for a while in my head.

Annnd now.. Work.   
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »

Well it's also two other things. One it's a bit of giving back to the community. I've entered a bunch of competitions over the years, and getting impartial feedback has been invaluable for me as a brewer. Second, prepping for the exam should make me much better at evaluating my own beer and thus make me a better brewer. We'll be getting into things like different off flavors (what they are, how they occur, and when they might be appropriate) and style minutiae (e.g. tasting two different pilsners and being able to discuss which is Czech, which is German, and why).

Man I jealous.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2017, 08:40:50 PM »
Yea that's nice to give back, think you'll ever open a microbrewery? 

It's in the back of my mind, but not for a couple years at least. Firstly, I'm about a month away from being student loan free, and I'd like to enjoy not having any debt for a while :lol Secondly, I just don't have enough beer recipes that I'm totally happy with. It's tough enough making the jump from doing what I do in my garage to brewing on a commercial scale even if you have all your recipes in place, and I'm not there yet.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
Roughly how many beer recipes do you have that are your go to's

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
Congrats Reaper! :D
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »
Thanks blob!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »
So when does this new job start? And do you know the hours?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
It'll start within 2 weeks, I have a drug test and a background check to do but also a shit ton of paperwork because I'll be working for a bank.

My hours are flexible to an extent, I can work 9 hours between 8-7. I will also have software to implement and test Saturday between 10pm-1am every few months.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:55 PM »
It'll start within 2 weeks, I have a drug test and a background check to do but also a shit ton of paperwork because I'll be working for a bank.

If they find out about your crack business, you're screwed.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: February 28, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
It's alright, I have it well covered up.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: February 28, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
Good. I like to keep my crack covered up too. :neverusethis:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: February 28, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
oh you!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: March 01, 2017, 12:33:15 AM »
Well today was mentally draining.

Had to deal a suicide at work today, as well as the moral dilemma of whether or not I let someone on to the property who's intent was to break into the house, which ultimately led to the discovery of the body.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #523 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:33 AM »
Morning

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:50 AM »
Morning

Don't pull the "morning"  bullshit yet.  It's still nighttime damnit!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"