Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 44816 times)

Offline EVILPROGBOY

Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - Savatage + Nevermore + Pink Floyd = Witherfall
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
Yeah, the official press release from them also confirms that it's Century Media that they specifically signed on with, not Inside Out. Either way, I think it's fantastic news!

I had thought for sure that the big announcement was going to be whoever their new drummer is, but alas that isn't the case yet. I'm still hoping it's Gergo Borlai personally.

New Wine Red Vinyl being released in US. https://www.witherfall.com/home/blog/witherfall-release-limted-edition-in-vino-veritas-red-wine-vinyl

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
Yeah, the official press release from them also confirms that it's Century Media that they specifically signed on with, not Inside Out. Either way, I think it's fantastic news!

I had thought for sure that the big announcement was going to be whoever their new drummer is, but alas that isn't the case yet. I'm still hoping it's Gergo Borlai personally.

New Wine Red Vinyl being released in US. https://www.witherfall.com/home/blog/witherfall-release-limted-edition-in-vino-veritas-red-wine-vinyl

Yup, already pre-ordered mine. With that purchase, I'm pretty sure that makes Witherfall's Nocturnes & Requiems the album I've purchased the most times ever (first in mp3 format on iTunes, then again on CD and now with the In Vino Veritas vinyl record). Usually I just buy an album once or twice. Never done it three times before, I think.

Oh and in the recent audio interview that Joseph and Jake did with That Drummer Guy, they mentioned that they've pretty much already written the entire second album at this point and describe a bit of the album. There's ten songs in total; six unrelated songs and a 35 minute long four-song-long suite about Adam and his death.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »
Are we talking Adam from Adam and Eve, or is this an actual person the band knows?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
Are we talking Adam from Adam and Eve, or is this an actual person the band knows?

Adam Sagan, the band's original drummer. He died from cancer just before the first album was released.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »
Oh OK. I mean..not OK. Thank you, I didn't know.

Still my AOTY.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2017, 07:36:42 PM »
Oh OK. I mean..not OK. Thank you, I didn't know.

Still my AOTY.

Yeah, it's a pretty tragic thing. Apparently Sagan was in quite a few bands over the years, like Circle II Circle and Into Eternity. It sucks that he didn't get to see how well-received the album has been by folks.

And yeah, same. I freaking love this album and can't wait to hear the next album whenever that comes out.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
He was great. There are some great videos of Circle II CIrcle playing live with him.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »
The band just posted a video on their YouTube channel that announced who the new drummer is. It's Steve Bolognese, another Into Eternity alumni like Adam Sagan was!!! Dude sounds awesome in the video!!! :metal

Here's the link to the video, btw!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0G7AoaUfZg
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:43:46 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »
The band just posted a video on their YouTube channel that announced who the new drummer is. It's Steve Bolognese, another Into Eternity alumni like Adam Sagan was!!! Dude sounds awesome in the video!!! :metal

WOW, He replaced Adam in into eternity as well....

https://witherfall.com/home/blog/witherfall-welcomes-new-drummer-steve-bolognese-ex-into-eternity

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »

https://witherfall.com/home/blog/witherfall-welcomes-new-drummer-steve-bolognese-ex-into-eternity

Mhmm!

And something else that I think fellow DTF members will find really awesome- Steve Bolognese was formerly a student of Mike Mangini's at Berklee years ago and was the guy they selected to initially replace Mangini when he left the university to first join Dream Theater in 2011! He's since transferred over to teaching at a school in Los Angeles, but he's literally a pupil of a Dream Theater drummer! :metal

As an aside, I really loved Bolognese's drum work on Into Eternity's The Incurable Tragedy album. Dude's absolutely got the chops to succeed Adam here in Witherfall. I was hoping for Gergo Borlai for months, but in hindsight, I absolutely think Bolognese is the perfect guy to carry on the torch that Adam lit behind the drumkit for the band. He'll do right by Adam, I have no doubts about that whatsoever! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
really?

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
Looks like another album is in the works! https://www.facebook.com/witherfall/photos/a.377664985729428.1073741828.377655475730379/932588786903709/?type=3&notif_id=1510382452256771&notif_t=like&ref=notif

Mhmm!

And something else that I think fellow DTF members will find really awesome- Steve Bolognese was formerly a student of Mike Mangini's at Berklee years ago and was the guy they selected to initially replace Mangini when he left the university to first join Dream Theater in 2011! He's since transferred over to teaching at a school in Los Angeles, but he's literally a pupil of a Dream Theater drummer! :metal

As an aside, I really loved Bolognese's drum work on Into Eternity's The Incurable Tragedy album. Dude's absolutely got the chops to succeed Adam here in Witherfall. I was hoping for Gergo Borlai for months, but in hindsight, I absolutely think Bolognese is the perfect guy to carry on the torch that Adam lit behind the drumkit for the band. He'll do right by Adam, I have no doubts about that whatsoever! :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2017, 01:06:54 AM »
Looks like another album is in the works! https://www.facebook.com/witherfall/photos/a.377664985729428.1073741828.377655475730379/932588786903709/?type=3&notif_id=1510382452256771&notif_t=like&ref=notif

Yup, saw that a couple days ago! Very excited to see how that turns out! And sorry for not confirming it a few months back, but yeah, Steve Bolognese was Mike Mangini's student and briefly succeeded him as a professor at Berklee when Mangini first joined Dream Theater. Dude's a perfect pick for succeeding Adam Sagan! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - New Year, New News!!!
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:00 AM »
So a few big things to bring up here!!! :metal

1. Witherfall has officially announced their live debut show will be at this year's 70,000 Tons of Metal Cruise early next month!

2. There's a new song titled "The Long Walk Home (December)" from Witherfall on Amazon that will be purchasable in the middle of March- but I wouldn't be surprised if the band plays it live at the aforementioned show in a few weeks and possibly release a music video for the song ahead of time.

3. Sanctuary officially announced that Witherfall vocalist Joseph Michael will fill in for the late Warrel Dane on the previously announced US tour they're doing with Iced Earth this spring as a farewell tribute to Warrel.

Oh and the band finally released their first official band photo together! Sadly Adam was diagnosed with his cancer before they got a chance to do a band photo for the Nocturnes & Requiems lineup.

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2018, 03:56:27 AM »
So the band just released their first music video today! Turns out it was for Portrait, but it's a pretty solid music video imo. :metal It plays more as a mini-horror movie and features some more risque elements.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/02/01/video-premiere-witherfall-portrait/
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »
So the band just released their first music video today! Turns out it was for Portrait, but it's a pretty solid music video imo. :metal It plays more as a mini-horror movie and features some more risque elements.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/02/01/video-premiere-witherfall-portrait/

Did they just spread Adam Sagan s ashes on stage during their first show? "Zc Romero shared Witherfall's post.
1 hr ·

Adam Sagan’s ashes were laid upon the first stage Witherfall performed on this morning. During Adam’s sickness the thing he wanted most was to play these songs live.

It’s been just over a year since we lost him physically. He is undoubtedly missed and has been felt very strongly in everything the band has done. Can’t help but feel he’s been the energy behind everything that fell into place last year.

It’s a strange relief knowing that Adam’s brothers and his ashes are on the cruise with Jake & Joseph, and I hope this brings them and Adam’s family some peace."

https://www.facebook.com/witherfall/photos/a.377664985729428.1073741828.377655475730379/984027421759845/?type=3&notif_id=1517654701894255&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2018, 04:57:16 AM »
Did they just spread Adam Sagan s ashes on stage during their first show? "Zc Romero shared Witherfall's post.
1 hr ·

Adam Sagan’s ashes were laid upon the first stage Witherfall performed on this morning. During Adam’s sickness the thing he wanted most was to play these songs live.

It’s been just over a year since we lost him physically. He is undoubtedly missed and has been felt very strongly in everything the band has done. Can’t help but feel he’s been the energy behind everything that fell into place last year.

It’s a strange relief knowing that Adam’s brothers and his ashes are on the cruise with Jake & Joseph, and I hope this brings them and Adam’s family some peace."

https://www.facebook.com/witherfall/photos/a.377664985729428.1073741828.377655475730379/984027421759845/?type=3&notif_id=1517654701894255&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Yes, some of Adam's ashes were scattered onto the stage right before the band started their last song. Gear Gods recorded a video of it and released it on YouTube (presumably with the band's permission, seeing as how Jake worked with GG last year on doing a video of him playing What We Are Dying For that they released).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwinmzF3UzA

Basically the band had Adam's brothers come up on stage to say a few words about Adam and commended Steve Bolognese for replacing Adam both in Into Eternity and now again in Witherfall, and then they scattered his ashes right as "Finale" began to kick in. Haven't seen any other concert footage yet, but presumably they went straight into Nobody Sleeps Here as the last song of their show after that.

Also, as an aside, Zc Romero/Zel Romero played the Ghost in the band's new music video for Portrait! ;)
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2018, 08:15:41 AM »
New song is available now.  Looks like I need to download this one when I get home tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-Home-December/dp/B078RNXWB2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520977093&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=witherfall+japan

On March 13th 2018 while Jake Dreyer and Joseph Michael are out on tour with Iced Earth and Sanctuary, Ward Records (Japan)  Will rel-release Witherfall "Nocturnes and Requiems" Import Orders can be placed here:

The Re-issue will also include a bonus track title "The Long Walk Home" (December) which is a tribute to the late Witherfall drummer Adam Sagan who passed before the release was finalized. The Track can be purchased in the US here:

"The Long Walk Home" (December) was a song that Jake and i wrote to bridge the gap between "Nocturnes and Requiems" and the next Album "A Prelude to Sorrow". It is about dealing with loss and being totally alone with your thoughts. We hope you like songs with hundreds of guitar and vocal tracks!"

Joseph Michael

After seeing the Iced Earth/Sanctuary show, I've been playing the crap out of Witherfall.  I had ignored them for a while, but had to come back to it - it's so damn good!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »
I just picked it up. Really cool tune. Very Floyd-like, a bit Queensryche sounding with the electric guitar interludes. Good stuff. I went ahead and purchased the Japanese version of the CD too. Just to have the track on an actual physical disc.

I expect really great things out of Witherfall. I spent the last week combing through Joseph Michael's past works. Good singer and songwriter. I think he's finally come into his own with Witherfall. I was blown away at him doing Sanctuary, and I remember how good he was in White Wizzard. But he's done a bunch of other things (CDBaby.com is your friend).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:58:28 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »
I just picked it up. Really cool tune. Very Floyd-like, a bit Queensryche sounding with the electric guitar interludes. Good stuff. I went ahead and purchased the Japanese version of the CD too. Just to have the track on an actual physical disc.

I expect really great things out of Witherfall. I spent the last week combing through Joseph Michael's past works. Good singer and songwriter. I think he's finally come into his own with Witherfall. I was blown away at him doing Sanctuary, and I remember how good he was in White Wizzard. But he's done a bunch of other things (CDBaby.com is your friend).

Also his website lists a bunch of obscure stuff he has worked on.
https://www.josephmichaelofficial.com/discography

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
Yep, I picked up the Desert Dragon CD he was on.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2018, 04:37:20 AM »
New song is available now.  Looks like I need to download this one when I get home tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-Home-December/dp/B078RNXWB2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520977093&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=witherfall+japan

On March 13th 2018 while Jake Dreyer and Joseph Michael are out on tour with Iced Earth and Sanctuary, Ward Records (Japan)  Will rel-release Witherfall "Nocturnes and Requiems" Import Orders can be placed here:

The Re-issue will also include a bonus track title "The Long Walk Home" (December) which is a tribute to the late Witherfall drummer Adam Sagan who passed before the release was finalized. The Track can be purchased in the US here:

"The Long Walk Home" (December) was a song that Jake and i wrote to bridge the gap between "Nocturnes and Requiems" and the next Album "A Prelude to Sorrow". It is about dealing with loss and being totally alone with your thoughts. We hope you like songs with hundreds of guitar and vocal tracks!"

Joseph Michael

After seeing the Iced Earth/Sanctuary show, I've been playing the crap out of Witherfall.  I had ignored them for a while, but had to come back to it - it's so damn good!

Yeah, Witherfall have been in my rotation a lot lately too. The new song is quite interesting and I'd probably argue it features Joseph Michael's best lyrics yet.

Yeah, that comparison definitely sounds apt. I'd say it feels more like a mix between Crimson Glory's eerier side (i.e. "Lost Reflections" and "Transcendence") and Zach Stevens-era Savatage. Fantastic stuff just the same!

And yeah, Joseph Michael's previous works are pretty neat to listen to. I'm excited to hear what he and Jake do next on A Prelude to Sorrow.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
got this cd the other day. I definitely hear Crimson Glory influence and I'd add Helstar. Great cd.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »
got this cd the other day. I definitely hear Crimson Glory influence and I'd add Helstar. Great cd.

Yeah, it's killer stuff. I really can't wait to see where these guys go next with A Prelude to Sorrow.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
I'm listening to this band for the first time, and just with Portrait, it's very Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, but just with better less silly vocals. I'd actually listen to MF/KD if his vocals weren't so goofy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:37 PM »
  I'd actually listen to MF/KD if his vocals weren't so goofy.

Totally.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2018, 12:40:27 AM »
I'm listening to this band for the first time, and just with Portrait, it's very Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, but just with better less silly vocals. I'd actually listen to MF/KD if his vocals weren't so goofy.

Yeah, as much as I love MF/KD, it's definitely an acquired taste and one that I can only personally go for every now and then. Witherfall is a lot easier to pull up and listen to on a more regular basis thanks to Joseph Michael's vocals being a bit more palatable.

I'm a little surprised it's taken you this long to check Witherfall out though, Zook! I've figured for awhile now that you'd probably really like them. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2018, 07:04:49 AM »
After Portrait though, the KD/MF thing basically disappears for me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »

It's definitely the track where that influence is most prominently featured, for sure. There's a ton of Nevermore, Savatage and Crimson Glory influence from there on out, I think.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »

I didn't get very far, but I would agree. I haven't given the album a proper listen yet.

Yeah, as much as I love MF/KD, it's definitely an acquired taste and one that I can only personally go for every now and then. Witherfall is a lot easier to pull up and listen to on a more regular basis thanks to Joseph Michael's vocals being a bit more palatable.

I'm a little surprised it's taken you this long to check Witherfall out though, Zook! I've figured for awhile now that you'd probably really like them. :metal

As much as I enjoy Jake on the new Iced Earth, at the same time I haven't listened to it in a while, and I've actual been listening to a lot of podcasts lately and haven't really listened to much music at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
There's a ton of Nevermore, Savatage and Crimson Glory influence from there on out, I think.

I don't care at all for Nevermore of Savatage. But I like the Witherfall album a lot.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2018, 07:26:03 PM »

I didn't get very far, but I would agree. I haven't given the album a proper listen yet.

As much as I enjoy Jake on the new Iced Earth, at the same time I haven't listened to it in a while, and I've actual been listening to a lot of podcasts lately and haven't really listened to much music at all.

That's fair. I definitely think we get a much better sample of what Jake can do as a musician and songwriter on Nocturnes & Requiems than on Incorruptible, so I'm eager to hear what you think of Witherfall once you're able to really sit down and give them a thorough listen!

Sacrifice and Nobody Sleeps Here are both especially killer. :metal

I don't care at all for Nevermore of Savatage. But I like the Witherfall album a lot.

Huh, that's interesting!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
Just announced that Witherfall is opening for Kamelot on their Japan tour. Very cool!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2018, 04:09:18 PM »
Just announced that Witherfall is opening for Kamelot on their Japan tour. Very cool!

Yup. I know my folks and I are planning to take a trip to Tokyo around that time of November, but I'm not sure if we'll be there on the exact date of the show.

Reeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllyyyyyy hoping that we will be though, as I'd love to see both Kamelot and especially Witherfall live. And the show is in Shibuya, which coincidentally is the setting of one of my all-time favorite video games (The World Ends With You). So that'd be cool if it works out!

EDIT: It looks like I'm probably going to be in Tokyo the week prior to the concert, so I'm most likely going to miss this. Aww shucks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:48:17 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:13 PM »
Witherfall has been in the studio a long time. I wonder what the hell is going on.