Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 46515 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - CURSE OF AUTUMN Coming March 2021
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2023, 05:14:42 PM »
Pretty sure that was from the Curse of Autumn  sessions.  Sounds an awful lot like The Other Side of Fear.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
Looks like Marco Minnemann has joined in the production again.
https://youtube.com/shorts/ixvxAOTfwes?feature=share
It's confirmed by Marco in his Facebook:
https://fb.watch/hVTk7RfVrA/?mibextid=6aamW6
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 09:14:16 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2023, 07:04:09 PM »
Awesome. Glad they're making another album. Every one of their albums has been fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2023, 07:27:10 PM »
Looks like Marco Minnemann has joined in the production again.
https://youtube.com/shorts/ixvxAOTfwes?feature=share
It's confirmei by Marco in his Facebook:
https://fb.watch/hVTk7RfVrA/?mibextid=6aamW6
Interesting.  That's some welcome news,  indeed.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2023, 10:22:39 PM »
Pretty sure that was from the Curse of Autumn  sessions.  Sounds an awful lot like The Other Side of Fear.
it was posted today... I don't hear "Other Side" here

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2023, 08:30:03 AM »
I know this isn't unusual today, but I find it amazing that this band is now doing their fourth album, and probably has only played a dozen shows together. I think it's a testament to their chemistry and the quality of the albums. I was bummed that their tour was cancelled. I had a ticket to see them open for...I think it was Moonspell? I forget who it was.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2023, 08:34:30 AM »
I know this isn't unusual today, but I find it amazing that this band is now doing their fourth album, and probably has only played a dozen shows together. I think it's a testament to their chemistry and the quality of the albums. I was bummed that their tour was cancelled. I had a ticket to see them open for...I think it was Moonspell? I forget who it was.

Yeah that was Moonspell. 

What's the issue with the drummer?  I thought they just got a new permanent one? Or is Marco just helping out for the recording?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2023, 10:29:21 AM »
Looking forward to a new record - they are getting better with each album and are one of my favorite new acts. 

Also, I just saw something within the last month that Joseph was FINALLY in the studio and recording with Sanctuary.  That album has the potential to be absolutely scorching! 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2023, 11:31:20 AM »

Yeah that was Moonspell. 

What's the issue with the drummer?  I thought they just got a new permanent one? Or is Marco just helping out for the recording?
New drummer Chris had a full time job as a lawyer, so maybe he dropped the band side hustle after the tour was canceled? And it looks like Alex is nowhere to be seen. Is he gone?

I'm shocked these guys can even still make music given they do absolutely no touring. These guys are in my top 3 for bands. I'd love to catch them live someday.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 09, 2023, 11:36:19 AM »
Oh damn, being a lawyer and having a side hustle is a very busy life.  But could work if the band wasn't a touring act, which they basically aren't.  Sucks, I have no idea how you get on a tour, but I agree, I don't know how a band makes money unless everyone's got a full time job and basically paying to have the band on the side?  They make good music, I'd love to see them be able to do this full time and hit the road. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2023, 01:31:04 PM »
I remember an interview with Synyster Gates from A7X where he claimed 90% of their income is from touring and merch sales. You need to be selling a shit load of physical records to make much off album sales (used to be about $1 profit for an artist on a CD sale). Streaming services pay artists a pittance, sadly. The era of bands selling millions of albums are long gone.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #361 on: January 09, 2023, 02:24:46 PM »
Everyone in the band is a full time musician. (The Core Members Joseph, Jake and Anthony) If you follow the band they have always had session musicians on the recordings.

Alex was replaced. I'm not sure if he ever even played on a record though. Joseph is credited with Keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8a4-F0YnFk

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2023, 10:24:45 AM »
Everyone in the band is a full time musician. (The Core Members Joseph, Jake and Anthony) If you follow the band they have always had session musicians on the recordings.

Alex was replaced. I'm not sure if he ever even played on a record though. Joseph is credited with Keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8a4-F0YnFk

Interesting. I get their email newsletter, and when I read about the additional guitarist it was presented as a touring session player. I assumed it was an extra hired gun for the live shows to provide a more complete sound with the guitar harmonies.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to new music from these guys. Every album so far has been gold, and only getting better.

Offline DT89

« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2023, 12:28:08 PM »
Nocturnes and Requiems tab book is available now, transcribed by yours truly: https://www.witherfall.com/product/892530

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2023, 12:47:26 PM »
Funny that i just read the email about it,  and figured there would be a post here. I will absolutely be making a purchase

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2023, 12:51:30 PM »
Will you do the EP as well?

Offline DT89

« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »
Funny that i just read the email about it,  and figured there would be a post here. I will absolutely be making a purchase
Thanks for your support!

I doubt it.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #367 on: April 29, 2023, 04:21:03 PM »
There is some footage from the new album has Marco on Drums and Zeuss working with them.

:metal

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrmSKwEvIcq/?hl=en

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2023, 08:20:45 PM »
Thanks for your support!

I doubt it.

Looks like a new song is coming out.

:metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDCOyH0z8M&lc=UgxrauyWAsRTp6VSu-94AaABAg

Offline NoFred

« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2023, 07:03:00 AM »
Can’t wait for new Witherfall. A footnote on the pre-order page hints at by 12/21, hope the full album isn’t that long of a wait. More importantly hope they get to tour this thing next year.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2023, 04:18:00 PM »
More importantly hope they get to tour this thing next year.

Agreed. I was pumped for that tour they were doing. Had a ticket was ready to rage. The headliners canceling just sucked. I was only going for Witherfall.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2023, 04:56:28 PM »
Yeah, hopefully they can get a tour going. 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #372 on: October 27, 2023, 09:07:01 AM »
More importantly hope they get to tour this thing next year.

Agreed. I was pumped for that tour they were doing. Had a ticket was ready to rage. The headliners canceling just sucked. I was only going for Witherfall.

Yeah, it's high time these guys finally get a chance to do a proper tour.

Also, as an aside, the band just released a new single ("Insidious")! Almost certainly the most aggressive song they've ever done, I think. Very promising for the rest of the new album, whenever that comes out! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - New Single INSIDIOUS Out Now
« Reply #373 on: October 27, 2023, 09:35:02 AM »
I think they have some harder hitting tunes. The Other Side of Fear, for one. Nevertheless, that's a solid opening track for the record. I think I prefer the first 3 tracks they released from Curse of Autumn, but man... from the 4min mark of Insidious onward I couldn't help but smile.
I'm very much looking forward to this album!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2023, 12:39:37 PM »
The new song is great!  Joseph gets to use some different voices throughout, and there's a definite King Diamond vibe musically in some spots.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #375 on: October 27, 2023, 02:42:42 PM »
I've listened to the track a good 5 or 6 times now. Fan-fucking-tastic.  If this is setting the tone for the album, then they've done it again! Each album has been better than the last, and this is a good start to continuing that trend.

Insidious has some Nocturnes vibes in Jake's playing, and even the overall tone of the song.  But it sounds more mature. For my money, he's one of the best shredders out there right now. He's got the speed. He's got creative phrasings. He can play a melodic solo that would set you to tears.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #376 on: October 27, 2023, 08:26:18 PM »
I've listened to the track a good 5 or 6 times now. Fan-fucking-tastic.  If this is setting the tone for the album, then they've done it again! Each album has been better than the last, and this is a good start to continuing that trend.

Insidious has some Nocturnes vibes in Jake's playing, and even the overall tone of the song.  But it sounds more mature. For my money, he's one of the best shredders out there right now. He's got the speed. He's got creative phrasings. He can play a melodic solo that would set you to tears.

Yeah, I agree with you on the similarities to Nocturnes. And I agree, the band just continues to get better and better with each album. Samsara mentioned it awhile back, but it's a testament to how strong the chemistry is with this band that they continue to grow like this with each album, despite the lack of regular tours and live shows.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline NoFred

« Reply #377 on: October 29, 2023, 12:06:59 AM »
Great track, sounds like two songs smashed together… something from curse and something from nocturnes to close it out. Looking forward to what’s next

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #378 on: October 29, 2023, 10:53:19 AM »
Great track, sounds like two songs smashed together… something from curse and something from nocturnes to close it out. Looking forward to what’s next

Indeed. Apparently Witherfall are no longer signed onto Century Media and have instead launched their own new record label, DeathWave Records. Going off of the band's email announcement, Joseph and Jake intend to release other albums outside of Witherfall through the label, so I'm intrigued to find out more on that matter. The first guess I have is that Joseph's album with Sanctuary will probably release on DeathWave too, but I wonder if this means Jake has any plans for another solo album or a side-project too?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: October 31, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »
Finally checking out the new song and video. Dig the track. Fingers crossed the album smokes and WE GET A TOUR. I know it is really hard for acts the size of Witherfall to tour and actually make ends meet and not suffer a loss. But man, this has to happen.

I will give Witherfall this. They have tried to capitalize on everything to make a buck. Patreon, merch sales, everything you can think of to make the band profitable. Smart move. The albums are killer. But for me personally, I want to see a band live first before I become a merch guy. I bought all the music. Need to see 'em live before I become a paid supporter all the time.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #380 on: October 31, 2023, 08:43:40 AM »
*steps onto his soapbox*

I'm more apt to buy merch from a band like Witherfall because that's one of the few ways I can support them. I really fancy Avenged Sevenfold. I paid my $120, and saw them live on their Life is but a Dream tour (as well as all but 1 tour of theirs in the last 15 years). I will not buy their albums, or any merch. They don't need it. They can take the pittance from the 1000's of streams they'll get from me on Apple Music, and enjoy being millionaires from their long and lucrative careers. Witherfall, on the other hand, needs the support from merch and physical album sales. And they certainly deserve it. I don't think it's fair to say "I love the music, they write great songs, but I won't support them unless I can see if they sound good live". Hell, I own Curse of Autumn on vinyl, and I don't even have a record player lol. It's just a lovely piece of art I keep on the wall of my home studio.

If you like the band, and like the music, you ought to support them.

*steps off his soapbox*

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: October 31, 2023, 10:40:37 AM »
I have purchased physical copies of all of Witherfall's albums. So don't preach to me about supporting bands. I buy shirts and other things once I've seen a band live. Over my lifetime, I've probably spent over $50k on concert tickets and merch. Respectfully, don't preach to me. You do you, I'll do me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2023, 01:23:40 PM »
Finally checking out the new song and video. Dig the track. Fingers crossed the album smokes and WE GET A TOUR. I know it is really hard for acts the size of Witherfall to tour and actually make ends meet and not suffer a loss. But man, this has to happen.

I will give Witherfall this. They have tried to capitalize on everything to make a buck. Patreon, merch sales, everything you can think of to make the band profitable. Smart move. The albums are killer. But for me personally, I want to see a band live first before I become a merch guy. I bought all the music. Need to see 'em live before I become a paid supporter all the time.

In the band's defense, I've personally gotten the impression that Jake and Joseph both very much want to tour as Witherfall more often. I could be wrong, but that's just been the general impression I've had of them since Nocturnes & Requiems first came out in 2017. But on account of a) their OG drummer passing away on the cusp of the debut album's release, b) a wild series of events that had rotating drummers and supporting musicians, c) a once-in-a-century type global pandemic and d) the frontline band of a planned tour dropping out out of nowhere, they've had some rather awful luck in getting onto the stage on a more regular and frequent basis.

And I'm hoping that since they seem to have a stable lineup now, they might be able to finally go out and tour more regularly.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2023, 01:35:08 PM »

*steps onto his soapbox*

I'm more apt to buy merch from a band like Witherfall because that's one of the few ways I can support them. I really fancy Avenged Sevenfold. I paid my $120, and saw them live on their Life is but a Dream tour (as well as all but 1 tour of theirs in the last 15 years). I will not buy their albums, or any merch. They don't need it. They can take the pittance from the 1000's of streams they'll get from me on Apple Music, and enjoy being millionaires from their long and lucrative careers. Witherfall, on the other hand, needs the support from merch and physical album sales. And they certainly deserve it. I don't think it's fair to say "I love the music, they write great songs, but I won't support them unless I can see if they sound good live". Hell, I own Curse of Autumn on vinyl, and I don't even have a record player lol. It's just a lovely piece of art I keep on the wall of my home studio.

If you like the band, and like the music, you ought to support them.

*steps off his soapbox*

I think both are valid viewpoints.  Each of us only have so much money to spend. Personally I put a lot of live stock into a live performance, so I lean a bit more towards Samsara's feelings, but Mister has a good point that the band that can't tour may need the money more. At the end of the day, you support what you can and what you want. 

Having said that, I didn't care for the single.  It may just be a style that's not for me.  The vocals are all hitting a part of the band's music that I'm not really that into.  Maybe the rest of the songs will be more up my alley.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2023, 01:48:09 PM »
Interesting take. Lyrically, I don't care for many of the tracks from Curse or the new single. Vocally, however, I think Joseph Michael is what James Labrie should be. JM has grit when he needs it, and can still hit the falsetto range. Remains to (hopefully) be seen if he can sing like that live, but I think he's top shelf in the singing department. Often, the singer ruins an otherwise good band for me. That's not the case with Witherfall.

As for the single, the first spin didn't sit all that well with me until the instrumental section at 3:53. Now that I've been listening mostly on repeat for a few days, I absolutely love the track. The slow part in the middle could be a touch shorter, but it works in the context of the story.