Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 46523 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - CURSE OF AUTUMN Coming March 2021
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2020, 09:26:23 PM »
That's an awesome, ripping song.  I wanted more of this style from them, rather than the big, epics.  I'm not sure that I like the production from Jon Schaffer.  There just isn't enough "oomph" in the sound, and it seems rather thin, but we'll see how the record turns out.

The production sounds good to me, though I do wish we could hear Anthony's bass lines a bit more clearly. But it's always hard to be sure how much of that is the actual production from Schaffer and how much of it is YouTube compression.

As for the comments on the band themselves from other posters here, I'll steer clear of that myself. I've never really had any sort of negative interactions with them myself, but I know I'm biased in that I'm probably one of the more vocal fans of the band on here.

Right now though, the music is quite promising and Marco seems to be fitting in wonderfully with the band. Definitely hope he's a permanent addition to the lineup!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »
3 songs up now... A lot went into this album it seems.

Witherfall release new single "Another Face”, off their new album “Curse Of Autumn” out March 5, 2021 

Witherfall release new single "Another Face”, off their new album “Curse Of Autumn” out March 5, 2021

“Another Face” is the third single taken from “Curse Of Autumn”, the upcoming album from Los Angeles-based dark melodic metallers WITHERFALL. Helmed by vocalist/keyboardist Joseph Michael (Sanctuary), guitarist Jake Dreyer (Iced Earth), bassist Anthony Crawford (Chon), and drummer Marco Minnemann (The Aristocrats), WITHERFALL’s new configuration aligns the brightest stars.

WITHERFALL enlisted Bradley Cook (Slash) to track the drums at Doghouse Studios and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth/ Demons & Wizards) to produce (with Michael/Dreyer) at Independence Hall. Jim Morris (Savatage) engineered and mixed, while Tom Morris (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) mastered at Morrisound Recording. Adorned by a striking Kristian Wåhlin cover and supported by a visually stunning Zev Deans (Ghost, BEHEMOTH!…) video for “As I Lie Awake,” the “Curse of Autumn” is peak WITHERFALL.

Stream and Pre-order here

https://witherfallband.lnk.to/CurseOfAutumnID

Watch The Video for "As I Lie Awake"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFbrq-n17Gs

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2020, 08:13:50 AM »
Yeah, I really dig all three songs they've released for the album so far. It sounds like Curse of Autumn will probably be the band's most diverse album yet. Obviously The Last Scar was super heavy and aggressive, but man As I Lie Awake and Another Face are both really melodic and memorable. I get a lot of "Queen meets King Diamond" vibes from Another Face.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online 0u81234

« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2021, 11:44:08 PM »
I really hope no one turns their back on these guys because of Schaffer’s actions. It’s clear that they hired Jon because Jake worked with him in IE and D&W. If they lose listeners because of Schaffer I think it’s very unfair. It’s probably pretty likely Jake will turn full time to Witherfall and it’s just not cool to think him and the rest of Iced Earth, Demons And BG are being thrown into Jons political stance. Go look at all of Witherfall members social medias. Any right wing conspiracy stuff? Their long time bass player is black for gods sakes. Does anyone think these guys are actually racist?!?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »
I don't think anyone will lose interest. Yeah, Jon produced it, but the band is Witherfall, and they played on the record, and as far as I know, wrote all the material.

I don't know the ins and outs of how involved Jon was -- did he mix it? Did he engineer the sessions? If all he did was produce it, then I don't think people will care.

Personally, as much as it pains me to say, I can't support anything Jon has a major hand in creatively going forward (IE or D&W). I can't say one thing, and then say another with my wallet. But the Witherfall record is something in a different category, at least to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online 0u81234

« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »
I respect your opinion and glad you are not throwing any of the people associated with Schaffer under the bus and costing them business. Although I personally believe in separating art from the artist. It’s just unjust to have any of Schaffer’s employers or associates  run over by this. Schaffer is pretty hardcore with his views which have been public. I believe these guys and most of everyone he works with were just getting a paycheck and agreed with his lunacy for keeping a job.  I am sure with Witherfall they used him for his name which is completely tainted now. I mean Jake and Joseph have produced all the other releases up until COA. Anyone else curious as to how this release will unfold?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:59:24 PM by 0u81234 »

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »
This is terrible. What a sad day for Metal and music in general. As for Witherfall,

Jon didn't write any of the music, he wasn't even the sole producer. Joseph and Jake still co-produced.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hear-la-melodic-metal-act-witherfalls-soaring-new-song-another-face

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2021, 10:32:18 PM »
I don't think anyone will lose interest. Yeah, Jon produced it, but the band is Witherfall, and they played on the record, and as far as I know, wrote all the material.

I don't know the ins and outs of how involved Jon was -- did he mix it? Did he engineer the sessions? If all he did was produce it, then I don't think people will care.

Personally, as much as it pains me to say, I can't support anything Jon has a major hand in creatively going forward (IE or D&W). I can't say one thing, and then say another with my wallet. But the Witherfall record is something in a different category, at least to me.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. I've just been curious as to what the band and Century Media might do in response to Jon's actions, if anything at all.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online 0u81234

« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2021, 03:50:00 AM »

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. I've just been curious as to what the band and Century Media might do in response to Jon's actions, if anything at all.

Who knows I don’t even know if it’s warranted. Again these guys just worked with Schaffer... I am sure it’s just business to keep your head down and draw no more attention. His act was career suicide and no one wants to be there cleaning up the mess. According to FB Witherfall is promoting a new video drop Friday so I can only imagine the board room meetings these guys and the Century Media label reps are trying to wash their hands of. I have worked in companies before where a PR strategy has been crucial for a crisis like this and it’s basically a moment where they are trying not to alienate any of their fans.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2021, 11:31:18 PM »
JS is a bad credit, but in the past and already forgotten to me (not an IE listener)

WOW! New single is available and as far as I’m concerned this album is 4/4 so far, with Last Scar and Another Face as major highlights. I think this album will be great, and hope they break out with it.  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2021, 12:29:49 AM »
Man, so glad the album is finally out! Loving it so far on my first listen! :metal

I'll have to sit on this for a few days at least to be sure, I think, but I'd wager this is probably Witherfall's best album yet. Really hope Marco stays onboard as the drummer moving forward.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, I think it's a very safe bet already that this is the band's best album. That last song just topped the list alone.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:07:05 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline NoFred

« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2021, 01:40:38 AM »
Yes this is good :metal

Loving the songs I haven’t heard yet as singles.

Damn they’re just in full control right now.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2021, 03:05:37 AM »
Yes this is good :metal

Loving the songs I haven’t heard yet as singles.

Damn they’re just in full control right now.

Yeah, Tempest and And They All Blew Away in particular are masterstrokes. The latter is like mostly like a blend of Arch/Matheos, Awake-era Dream Theater and Control Denied, with a hint of Savatage and King Diamond thrown in for good measure- and I love it.

I can't wait to see where the band goes next! :metal :metal :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to diving into the new album over the next week.  I've really enjoyed the singles that have been released so far.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »
The record is good, despite who's fronting the band and who produced it. I'm not going to lie, I greatly enjoyed the heavy Iced Earth sound of the first real song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2021, 02:17:53 PM »
The record is good, despite who's fronting the band

You don't like the singer?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
The record is good, despite who's fronting the band

You don't like the singer?

He's been a colossal douchebag to friends of mine and other people I know, and friends of friends. In person he was nothing but nice to me, but I don't like the way he has talked to other people. I imagine he's the brains behind their marketing with the gross, fake looking LA models - which I personally don't fault them for, business is business, but the marketing is so hamfisted and gross.

If we're talking about him as The Singer, yeah, he rocks, I really like his voice and I love the band's music.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:25:46 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2021, 03:17:39 PM »
I was going to buy the CD but it's $16.98 at Amazon. I waited to see if the price dropped today and nope. Fuck. I'd prefer a hard copy, but I'll have to buy the download at $7 cheaper.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2021, 03:18:41 PM »
I'm not going to lie, I greatly enjoyed the heavy Iced Earth sound of the first real song.

Reminded me of King Diamond.

Online 0u81234

« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2021, 08:55:59 PM »
The bass line on Tempest  :o amazing record. My favorites are Tempest and All Blew Away

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2021, 06:53:53 PM »
The new album is hitting me harder than the first two did.  There's more of an immediacy that I'm feeling, where I'm really connecting with it and digging the songs right away.  The first two albums felt like there was too much to unpack, musically and vocally.  I feel like this is a huge step for the guys' songwriting abilities.

That and Joseph is just killing it on the album.  His vocals are so outstanding - so many layers, highs, lows, melodic stuff, harsher stuff.  I'm really impressed by this album!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2021, 08:38:35 AM »
Funny, Grappler hit it on the head for me too. There is absolutely more of an immediacy on the record after my first listen. I felt the same as he did about the band's first two records -- the second one in particular. Not to say I don't like those records, I do. They seem to have dialed it in much better on this third record. Can't wait to listen to it again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #303 on: March 10, 2021, 02:45:53 PM »
I am also really enjoying this new record more than the other two. I also think it is to do with the vocals and vocal melodies, they just seem more refined and developed. I have always appreciated the vocalists abilities, however I haven't really been a big fan of his vocals. I feel they have come across as forced in places in the past, but not so this time. The musicianship has always been stellar.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2021, 04:47:42 AM »
The new album is hitting me harder than the first two did.  There's more of an immediacy that I'm feeling, where I'm really connecting with it and digging the songs right away.  The first two albums felt like there was too much to unpack, musically and vocally.  I feel like this is a huge step for the guys' songwriting abilities.

That and Joseph is just killing it on the album.  His vocals are so outstanding - so many layers, highs, lows, melodic stuff, harsher stuff.  I'm really impressed by this album!
Funny, Grappler hit it on the head for me too. There is absolutely more of an immediacy on the record after my first listen. I felt the same as he did about the band's first two records -- the second one in particular. Not to say I don't like those records, I do. They seem to have dialed it in much better on this third record. Can't wait to listen to it again.

I would argue that Nocturne & Requiems was pretty immediate, but A Prelude to Sorrow was definitely a grower. I think the thing with Curse of Autumn is a combination of both a return to the immediacy of N&R, along with the band having developed and matured their sound quite a fair bit in the time since.

Either way, I think we're all in agreement that this is the band's strongest offering yet. And it makes me all the happier that the band's gone on record that they want to keep working with Marco on drums moving forward. He's as perfect a fit for the band as they'll ever find, I suspect.

I am also really enjoying this new record more than the other two. I also think it is to do with the vocals and vocal melodies, they just seem more refined and developed. I have always appreciated the vocalists abilities, however I haven't really been a big fan of his vocals. I feel they have come across as forced in places in the past, but not so this time. The musicianship has always been stellar.

I've quite liked Joseph's performances on the previous two albums, but you can definitely hear a growth and progression with him. He's in top form on this album.

Also again, Marco is an insanely terrific fit for this band. Love his dynamics with Anthony on the rhythm section. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline NoFred

« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2021, 11:18:47 PM »

Immediacy is a good word to describe this one. Had a chance to listen a few times on the road over weekend... no complaints really liking the album composition too* (something I appreciated on Prelude were the interlude/transition pieces.) One thing about “immediacy” is it benefits the regular length songs but forces a few more listens to crack the longer ones. On first listen I felt and they all blew away was too much, tempest as well, and thought they could use some of the etherealness of Vintage etc. But now that I’m used to them, wow :o and like all good albums the great songs lift the less interesting ones when heard in context (thinking as I lie awake as the only one needing help)

*I saw in a review complaint about mood tracks like curse of autumn breaking the flow of the album. Whatever, I love that one and if the title track is a 2 minute interlude mid album?  :metal Also on my track list I’ve dropped the cover song, it’s cool and I hope it works out for them but the album has a clear ending without it

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2021, 11:14:40 AM »
Cool. Yeah, it has continued to grow on me for sure. Listened a couple more times this week, and about to hit it up again shortly.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2021, 04:52:22 PM »
Frontrunner for AOTY!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
Frontrunner for AOTY!

Good to hear.  I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. I pre-ordered it back in February  :huh:

Offline NoFred

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2021, 09:21:20 PM »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2021, 07:42:10 PM »
Finally got my copy of Curse of Autumn yesterday, after an Amazon cock-up.  :angry:

After two listens I am really impressed with this. It’s a lot more dynamic than the last album.

I was not expecting the last track, Long Time, to be a cover of the Boston song, as I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere. Witherfall have totally transformed the song though, and made it their own. It’s very well done.

Online 0u81234

« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2021, 08:06:41 AM »
You should check out the full version with Foreplay in the intro just released!  :metal

https://youtu.be/xlRHpPixO8U

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #312 on: December 29, 2021, 08:49:34 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2022, 03:33:31 PM »
Apparently they're searching wide and far for drummers. I bought their Curse of Autumn tab book, and as a result they must have added my email to their newsletter list. I got an audition email asking if I was 'able bodied' enough a musician to audition lol.

I was going to fly to Vancouver, BC to see Witherfall in April, but I'm reluctant to book now that they're without a drummer. As it was, I was concerned about them being able to enter Canada due to 'rona, but now this makes me really wonder if they'll be in show condition this spring.