Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 44794 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - A PRELUDE TO SORROW (New Album, November 2nd, 2018)
« Reply #245 on: November 26, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Yeah, A Prelude to Sorrow is seriously awesome. We Are Nothing and Vintage are two of the best songs of 2018 for me. The shorter songs aren't as good in my opinion, still great listen. But I think Witherfall's musical approach works better on the longer tracks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:44:09 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - A PRELUDE TO SORROW (New Album, November 2nd, 2018)
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
Yeah, A Prelude to Sorrow is seriously awesome. We Are Nothing and Vintage are two of the best songs of 2018 for me. The shorter songs aren't as good in my opinion, still great listen. But I think Witherfall's musical approach works better the longer tracks.

Agreed completely on those two songs being the gems of the record. And on the musical approach. It just suits their writing better.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
God, I wish I'd been more active on here the past few months!

Okay, so in case you've missed it elsewhere, Witherfall released a really cool acoustic-based E.P. titled Vintage last month, with an acoustic medley of Vintage and Nobody Sleeps Here, as well as an acoustic version for Ode to Despair and covers of Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down and Helloween's A Tale That Wasn't Right and the original electric version of Vintage from A Prelude of Sorrow to cap it all off.

It's good stuff. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

God, I wish I'd been more active on here the past few months!

Okay, so in case you've missed it elsewhere, Witherfall released a really cool acoustic-based E.P. titled Vintage last month, with an acoustic medley of Vintage and Nobody Sleeps Here, as well as an acoustic version for Ode to Despair and covers of Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down and Helloween's A Tale That Wasn't Right and the original electric version of Vintage from A Prelude of Sorrow to cap it all off.

It's good stuff. :metal

Witherfall are managed by Frank Solomon the same company as Dream Theater it seems!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/witherfall/about/?ref=page_internal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just checked out the Helloween and the Petty covers.

I really liked what they did with I Won't Back Down. That was really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I wasn't a huge fan of the EP, specifically, the Tom Petty cover. I appreciate the effort, but I didn't really dig it at all.

Glad Witherfall has a good mgmt team behind them. Hopefully the band can make a name for itself.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I liked how creepy they made the Tom Petty song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, I posted this in the Friday Releases Thread earlier today. I'm posting it here because this band reminds me a lot of Witherfall. I don't find them quite as metal, and I don't think the vocals are as strong, but that may also be due to the lesser production values.

Anyway, I've listened to this 3 times today. This is a fantastic album.

Sorcerer is AMAZING!

Howling Sycamore-Seven Pathways To Annihilation

https://open.spotify.com/album/5EFvMsD2JAZI4GbpNNeLe1?si=oduEVsjaTQ-zCM4AY-7OJA

Half way through this and holy shit this is awesome! It reminds me a lot of Witherfall.

I think Sorcerer is instantly a Top 5 Track of the year.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Love me some Witherfall. My buddy is their keyboardist!

I just bought a bottle of their new Tempest wine and it just shipped.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Love me some Witherfall. My buddy is their keyboardist!

I just bought a bottle of their new Tempest wine and it just shipped.

Oh wow, you're friends with Alex Nasla? Nice! The Tempest wine looks great, I'll try to order some for myself sometime in the nearish future.

I apologize for not keeping up with the thread for awhile, btw. I'm super excited for the upcoming third album from the band, they've been mentioning in interviews lately that they're aiming to release a followup to A Prelude to Sorrow this November.

I'm curious to see who will handle drums on the album. The band mentioned on Facebook awhile back that Gergo Borlai recorded all of the drums on Prelude, but I have no idea if Steve Bolognese is still in the band or not or if Gergo is the band's permanent drummer.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
I heard an interview with Marco Minneman and he said he just got done recording drums for Witherfall's new album. I think it was on the prog report.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
I heard an interview with Marco Minneman and he said he just got done recording drums for Witherfall's new album. I think it was on the prog report.

Oh HELL YES. THAT'S AMAZING NEWS.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

If you could find that interview and share it in here, that'd be super appreciated! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Alex is an awesome guy, super nice and mad talented. And the new album is gonna rock for sure.

Over the holidays I got a Witherfall happy holidays card that's still on my fridge. When my bottle of wine arrives I'm gonna let it sit for a few weeks per Alex's suggestion and then have me a nice Witherfall & wine listening session. :biggrin: :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Yeah Alex is an awesome guy, super nice and mad talented. And the new album is gonna rock for sure.

Over the holidays I got a Witherfall happy holidays card that's still on my fridge. When my bottle of wine arrives I'm gonna let it sit for a few weeks per Alex's suggestion and then have me a nice Witherfall & wine listening session. :biggrin: :corn

Yeah, everything I've seen from Alex online has me excited to see what he contributes to the band. Dude's got insane talent. Between him, the rest of the band and apparently nabbing Marco Minnemann to perform drums, I'm super excited to see what the heck the next album sounds like!

Also I'm gonna admit that I'm a wee bit jealous about the Happy Holidays card! That's a really awesome thing to have! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - ALBUM #3 In The Works
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
Pretty sure it's here...
progreport.com/randy-mcstine-and-marco-minnemann-interview/

Yep, that's the interview alright! Just listened to the first half or so of it myself, Marco confirms a couple of times that he recorded the drums for the Witherfall album! Not sure if he's a permanent band member or not (it doesn't sound like it for now), but still... dude's an amazing drummer! :metal I'll be pumped to hear his work on the new material when that album comes out!

I'm particularly excited since I remember the guys mentioning in interviews back in early 2017 how they wanted a drummer that fit the same sort of mold as Mike Portnoy and Mickey Dee, which Marco fits the bill perfectly in that respect.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - ALBUM #3 In The Works For Late 2020 Release
« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2020, 08:52:35 AM »
Jake and Joseph have been doing a few interviews promoting the band's new Tempest wine and teasing the upcoming third album! And apparently they really want to get back to the ways of the 70's and try to release a new album every year. :metal

Metal Insider: https://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/a-conversation-with-witherfalls-joseph-michael-jake-dreyer-on-wine-food-new-album-update-and-more-wine?fbclid=IwAR2mpJnWiDBG8LK4SqT2SejLdMp_KSeARoP7OdAgfwfAsT-qWczS2YfEuhI
WeTalkPodcasts: https://wetalkpodcasts.com/wtmusic-witherfall-jake-joseph-and-the-tempest/?fbclid=IwAR1JEmBdNvwGNrysLvCtgY4xwHJv3wr7J_vxxfL8HPXH2tWnlT6jKXFPs2I

They also tease a new epic that's even more ambitious than Vintage or We Are Nothing on the upcoming album!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2020, 08:54:36 AM »
Awww heck yeah. I can't wait! It would be awesome if they could release a new album every year. Think I'm gonna put on a bunch of Witherfall for tonight's running session. :2metal:

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Awww heck yeah. I can't wait! It would be awesome if they could release a new album every year. Think I'm gonna put on a bunch of Witherfall for tonight's running session. :2metal:

Yeah, I'm even good if it's every two years, but if they can pull it off, a new Witherfall entry every year would be stellar!

Hell, I'm still giddy at the news that Marco Minnemann handled the drums for this new album! He's such a ridiculously great fit for the band, even if this winds up just being as a session drummer.

I've been debating whether to add that Marco's involved in the thread title to get more people interested, but the band hasn't announced it yet and didn't mention Marco in their latest interviews, so I'll probably wait until they publicly announce that themselves.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #264 on: May 28, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »
Apparently a lot of stuff is going on with the new release. They have been very mysterious in their posts where as on Prelude they posted a lot while recording.

http://www.witherfall.com has some new stuff on it. Looks like they are pre-selling the new album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: May 28, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
Sweet! Maybe I'll place my order this weekend. Also, check out what arrived earlier this week.

Think I'll crack this baby open on the 4th of July.  :hat

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
WOW!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »
I need to give Witherfall another chance. What I heard wasn't bad, but didn't excite me.

It makes me happy to see positive reactions to Jon Schaffer as he can be a polarizing figure. I hope to meet him one day, and it goes better than when I met Portnoy.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2020, 05:48:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm even good if it's every two years, but if they can pull it off, a new Witherfall entry every year would be stellar!

Hell, I'm still giddy at the news that Marco Minnemann handled the drums for this new album! He's such a ridiculously great fit for the band, even if this winds up just being as a session drummer.

I've been debating whether to add that Marco's involved in the thread title to get more people interested, but the band hasn't announced it yet and didn't mention Marco in their latest interviews, so I'll probably wait until they publicly announce that themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRlQP3ZAKXc&lc=UgyBM5MapOzs4eUZxdJ4AaABAg

Doesn't Sound Like Gergo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2020, 06:12:30 PM »
 :metal :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRlQP3ZAKXc&lc=UgyBM5MapOzs4eUZxdJ4AaABAg

Doesn't Sound Like Gergo

Yeah, it's almost definitely Marco. He already confirmed in an interview that he recorded the drums for the new Witherfall album, the band just hasn't announced it yet themselves.

Love the sample so far. Sounds quite heavy! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - CURSE OF AUTUMN Coming March 2021
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
The first single "The Last Scar" off of the new album Curse of Autumn is out! The full album is slated for a March 2021 release. :hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybjieZibRU&ab_channel=CenturyMediaRecords

Sounds pretty great to me! :metal

Also, more exciting is that it seems like Marco Minnemann has joined the band as their full-time drummer! He's listed outright on the latest blog entry on the band's website as a proper member, and the new band photo for Curse of Autumn features him there alongside the rest of the current lineup. :biggrin:

https://www.witherfall.com/home/blog/witherfall-release-the-last-scar
Today we release "The Last Scar" from the upcoming album Curse Of Autumn! Watch the video to see the album art reveal! LISTEN HERE:

Is there a better time of the year to dive headfirst into dark and progressive melodic metal than now?

While the shadows of winter are creeping up upon us and as the nights get longer, it's the perfect time to introduce Curse of Autumn, the upcoming album from L.A. band WITHERFALL. The record is due out in March 2021 on Century Media Records.

The album art is once again a hand-painted masterpiece by the legendary Kristian Wåhlin and is the fourth painting in the WITHERFALL series.

Listen to the glorious new song "The Last Scar," which is accompanied by a visualizer clip, here. 

"This is a nice and happy one," the band says. "It's heavily inspired by an evening on tour in the Czech Republic. It's possibly one of the most aggressive WITHERFALL songs and certainly a test of stamina for instrumentalists and voices. During the recording, our producer Jon Schaffer really put us to the test on getting these final takes. Both WITHERFALL and our team at Century Media felt this song would be the perfect way to introduce our latest offspring Curse of Autumn. Like any other WITHERFALL record, this one is quite the storm. This is but the first gust of wind…"

Keep your eyes peeled for more info as Curse Of Autumn unfolds.

WITHERFALL ARE:
Joseph Michael — Vocals/Keyboards (Also in Sanctuary)
Jake Dreyer — Acoustic and Electric Guitars (Also in Iced Earth/Demons & Wizards)
Anthony Crawford — Bass (Chon, Shalmor, Allan Holdsworth, Justin Timberlake, Kirk Whalum)
Marco Minnemann — Drums (The Aristocrats, Joe Satriani, Steven Wilson, Tony Levin, Jordan Rudess, Necrophagist))
Alex Nasla — Live Keyboards
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »
That's an awesome, ripping song.  I wanted more of this style from them, rather than the big, epics.  I'm not sure that I like the production from Jon Schaffer.  There just isn't enough "oomph" in the sound, and it seems rather thin, but we'll see how the record turns out. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »
My interest in all things Witherfall dropped drastically when I saw Joseph Michael showing support for John Finberg even after all the bands under him distanced themselves from him and went elsewhere for promotion. Ain't interested in supporting someone who supports a serial sexual harasser, sadly. Interest in the new album tanked.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »
My interest in all things Witherfall dropped drastically when I saw Joseph Michael showing support for John Finberg even after all the bands under him distanced themselves from him and went elsewhere for promotion. Ain't interested in supporting someone who supports a serial sexual harasser, sadly. Interest in the new album tanked.

I lost interest after they gave someone on here shoddy treatment and support from merch I think that wasn't sent?  I'd have to look back.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2020, 02:12:04 PM »
Yeah, it was Sam just back on the last page.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
I haven’t seen an interview or situation where Joseph Michael doesn’t come across as an unsavory person. Nothing nice to say from a distance. Jake can play and I hope he continues to do well.

They scratch that itch for getting new metal from 1990, and this song sounds more of the same. Like it a lot and will buy.

If that’s the album cover detail cool to see them continuing with their artist.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
 :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
I haven’t seen an interview or situation where Joseph Michael doesn’t come across as an unsavory person. Nothing nice to say from a distance. Jake can play and I hope he continues to do well.

They scratch that itch for getting new metal from 1990, and this song sounds more of the same. Like it a lot and will buy.

If that’s the album cover detail cool to see them continuing with their artist.
Yeah. Joseph is talented so he's never gonna get kicked out of a band, but my god, even going through his Facebook page is a chore and every interaction I or anyone else has ever had with him has been unpleasant. Reminds me of Ripper, hell of a singer, but best forget he exists outside of a recorded performance on a CD somewhere  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise