Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 45744 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - A PRELUDE TO SORROW (New Album, November 2nd, 2018)
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
Glad you guys dig it. I loved it so much, that in addition to the CD pre-order I had already, I ordered the blue vinyl and some other goodies from their site. Just a great record from top to bottom.

I'm also ordering the blue vinyl soon! :hefdaddy Just have to wait a bit first since I've had to pick up a couple of things for my new videomaking gig, as previously mentioned.

In a way, the growth from Nocturnes to Prelude reminds me a lot of what happened with Queensryche with The Warning to Rage for Order.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2018, 09:43:11 AM »
You mean it wimps out??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »
You mean it wimps out??

Okay, that's fair, I suppose. :lol

Nah, this is quite a bit moodier and more complex than the first album IMO. And it's absolutely heavier at times too. Honestly the closest comparison I can think of for this album is probably Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black and even that doesn't feel quite right to me.

Also, the more I listen to the album, the more I wonder if it's Gergo Borlai or Steve we're listening to on the drums for both We Are Nothing and Vintage. Both songs have segments in them that absolutely sound like his unique playing style... but then Shadows also has a couple bits here and there where I think it could be him too, so I'm wondering if I'm thinking way too hard on that.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
TAC -  :lol

I love The Warning, but Rage is absolutely darker, and more technical. MG -- you made a great comparison.

The funny thing with Witherfall is that they talk about the influence of Queen on them...and while I hear it, I think they are absolutely more influenced by Floyd and thrash metal. I mean, Queen is really eclectic as a rock band, and I get that from Witherfall, but not as much as I think some others do. And besides, I think Joseph has better teeth than poor Freddie did (may he RIP).  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
TAC -  :lol

I love The Warning, but Rage is absolutely darker, and more technical. MG -- you made a great comparison.

The funny thing with Witherfall is that they talk about the influence of Queen on them...and while I hear it, I think they are absolutely more influenced by Floyd and thrash metal. I mean, Queen is really eclectic as a rock band, and I get that from Witherfall, but not as much as I think some others do. And besides, I think Joseph has better teeth than poor Freddie did (may he RIP).  :lol

Honestly from what I gather about Joseph and Jake when they compare themselves to Queen, a lot of what they seem to be drawing from is how they seamlessly married complex and experimental musical ideas in a very melodic manner... but the riffs are done more in the vein of say Chuck Schuldiner or Jeff Loomis. :biggrin:

It's more the spirit of Queen that they take after so much than it is their specific sound, though that's inevitably there a bit too. Heck, I think Jake definitely channeled some of Brian's style in certain solos on this new album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
I've given A Prelude to Sorrow three listens so far, and while I know that I haven't absorbed everything yet, I really really love what I've heard so far. The musicality and the emotion throughout are just on a whole different level compared to their debut, which was already stellar.

"Vintage" is probably my favourite song of the year so far, and "We Are Nothing" is not far off.

Just a great album front-to-back.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
I've given A Prelude to Sorrow three listens so far, and while I know that I haven't absorbed everything yet, I really really love what I've heard so far. The musicality and the emotion throughout are just on a whole different level compared to their debut, which was already stellar.

"Vintage" is probably my favourite song of the year so far, and "We Are Nothing" is not far off.

It's awesome to see you again, Scorpion! :metal

And yeah, I completely agree with you on all fronts. The more I listen to it, the more I adore "Vintage." That's a metal classic right there IMO. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2018, 08:11:12 PM »
One listen through and I don't even know where to start. PHENOMENAL album.

The performances by everyone are incredible. Steve Bolognese is a f'n beast. Holy shit!

Vintage reminds me a lot of Metallica's One. Until it reminds me of Fade To Black.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »
One listen through and I don't even know where to start. PHENOMENAL album.

The performances by everyone are incredible. Steve Bolognese is a f'n beast. Holy shit!

Vintage reminds me a lot of Metallica's One. Until it reminds me of Fade To Black.

Seriously, this album is remarkable. Just gets better with repeated listens too IMO.

Yep, the drums on this album are... :hefdaddy Anthony Crawford's bass work on the album is great too!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2018, 07:07:21 PM »
Vintage

Song. Of. The. Year.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
Vintage

Song. Of. The. Year.

No lies detected. Jake and Joseph hit a homerun on that song! :hat

Really hoping more folks opt to check this album out soon and join in the conversation.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
I'm actually going back to Nocturnes tonight.

What Are We Dying For :metal

On Prelude, I love the uniqueness and confidence that Joseph brings vocally.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:25:22 PM by TAC »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
I'm actually going back to Nocturnes tonight.

What Are We Dying For :metal

On Prelude, I love the uniqueness and confidence that John brings vocally.

Yeah, Joseph crushes it on Prelude. Incredible performance IMO.

Nocturnes is such a great album. Nobody Sleeps Here is still my favorite off that album, but What We Are Dying For and Sacrifice aren't far behind at all. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2018, 07:14:20 AM »
Vintage and We Are Nothing are both amazing. Definitely the best songs on the album.

On the whole, Jake's playing has improved so much. Which I didn't think was possible, because he was already on fire on Nocturnes, but he knocks it out of the park here. Stunning front-to-back. :hefdaddy

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Vintage and We Are Nothing are both amazing. Definitely the best songs on the album.

On the whole, Jake's playing has improved so much. Which I didn't think was possible, because he was already on fire on Nocturnes, but he knocks it out of the park here. Stunning front-to-back. :hefdaddy

Yep. I also really love Communion of the Wicked and Shadows.

As for We Are Nothing, there's some parts near the end of that song that remind me a LOT of those unfinished Control Denied songs that hit the web a few years back, which I think is awesome. I always felt like Chuck was in the process of evolving into a new sound with Control Denied and when their second album was officially canned a few years back, I was devastated that we'd never get to see that new sound explored more in depth. We Are Nothing kinda feels like an opportunity of getting a better idea of what CD could have ended up sounding like.

Yeah, Jake's really stepped up his game. Not just with his playing, but with his compositional skills, I think.

Also, Steve Bolognese... :hefdaddy He's going to be right up there with the likes of Bobby Jarzombek and Mike Portnoy, I think. Love the drum work I hear on this album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
One minor criticism I have is that some transitions feel a little rough. For example, the transition out of the calm part in We Are Nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
Looks like I should give this album a go.  I've tried the debut a few times but I just didn't dig it.  All the elements were there but something was missing for me. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
Kade, just check out Vintage.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »

It's awesome to see you again, Scorpion! :metal

And yeah, I completely agree with you on all fronts. The more I listen to it, the more I adore "Vintage." That's a metal classic right there IMO. :hefdaddy
Finally listened to the whole album in one sitting and Vintage is how an epic should be - no filler and holy crap the ending of the song was so powerful.  Like Scorpion said above 'We are Nothing' is right up there.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
Kade, just check out Vintage.

Seriously. That song is utterly magnificent.

Finally listened to the whole album in one sitting and Vintage is how an epic should be - no filler and holy crap the ending of the song was so powerful.  Like Scorpion said above 'We are Nothing' is right up there.

Yep. Vintage flies right by for me. And the final four minutes or so are just stunning.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
I have big expectations for this song now.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »

I will caution that it took me a few listens to fully grow on me to the extent that it has, but it's an impressive song nonetheless right out of the gate IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2018, 04:42:50 AM »

I will caution that it took me a few listens to fully grow on me to the extent that it has, but it's an impressive song nonetheless right out of the gate IMO.

I didn't get around to getting onto this album today but definitely will.

I should like this band, love what Jake bought to the latest Iced Earth.  Great guitarist.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2018, 02:40:12 AM »

I should like this band, love what Jake bought to the latest Iced Earth.  Great guitarist.

I really can't wait to hear what Jake adds to the songwriting on the next IE album. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2018, 08:09:16 AM »

I really can't wait to hear what Jake adds to the songwriting on the next IE album. :metal

Has it been said by Jon that he will let Jake write? I ask, because I thought Jon was pretty forward that he writes the songs, and collaborates on lyrics with Stu, and that's what they do. But yeah, I'd be all for Jake writing a bit for IE, given what I have heard with Witherfall.

The most interesting thing for me is Joseph's involvement with Sanctuary. That live show was amazing (hope Joseph can keep up those crazy vocals long term), but while I am looking forward to some new Sanctuary, I hope they are able to take the Alice in Chains route, and do it all in a way that is really respectful to Warrel. I am sure it will be, but always a tall order when replacing such a distinct frontman.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »
Has it been said by Jon that he will let Jake write? I ask, because I thought Jon was pretty forward that he writes the songs, and collaborates on lyrics with Stu, and that's what they do. But yeah, I'd be all for Jake writing a bit for IE, given what I have heard with Witherfall.

The most interesting thing for me is Joseph's involvement with Sanctuary. That live show was amazing (hope Joseph can keep up those crazy vocals long term), but while I am looking forward to some new Sanctuary, I hope they are able to take the Alice in Chains route, and do it all in a way that is really respectful to Warrel. I am sure it will be, but always a tall order when replacing such a distinct frontman.

Yep! Jon mentioned it a few times last year when Incorruptible came out. Part of Jake's audition process involved him sending him song ideas that were more in the traditional vein of IE since the band isn't as outright proggy as Witherfall are, and Jon was excited to continue working on those songs for the next album since they'd already written everything for Incorruptible by then. Plus Luke Appleton had one or two songwriting credits on Incorruptible too IIRC. Jon seems to be more open about others writing IE stuff now.

Yeah, Joseph's stuff with Sanctuary is bound to be interesting. I'm confident he and the rest of the band will be honor Warrel properly. As for Joseph keeping his crazy vocals up for the long term, I don't think that'll be impossible, though certainly quite difficult. For example, both Ripper Owens and King Diamond have held up their voices in ridiculously great shape for ages now. Not to mention Bruce Dickinson.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
I' had half an hour to myself in my office so cranked open youtube and started having a listen.  I know why I couldn't get into these guys on the first album, the Nevermore influence is just too blatant for my liking.  Everything here I should like, but that is turning me off.  This is kind of sounding the same as what I remember from the first, but it's on shitty computer speakers and only listened to the first two songs.  There is so much potential here, I guess I should try and just find a way past that issue I have and try and enjoy more.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2018, 08:12:59 PM »
I' had half an hour to myself in my office so cranked open youtube and started having a listen.  I know why I couldn't get into these guys on the first album, the Nevermore influence is just too blatant for my liking.  Everything here I should like, but that is turning me off.  This is kind of sounding the same as what I remember from the first, but it's on shitty computer speakers and only listened to the first two songs.  There is so much potential here, I guess I should try and just find a way past that issue I have and try and enjoy more.

That's definitely fair. That said, check out Vintage. It's one of their least "Nevermore"-sounding songs. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
Yeah, I don't care for Nevermore. I'm not in love with We Are Nothing, especially the chorus, but the album definitely improves after the first song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
I listened to the rest at work.  It's hard to gauge as I said on crappy speakers on the first listen.  It seems more enjoyable than the first and I can see elements growing on me.  Vintage was indeed a highlight and will sound great blasted in the car.  I'm optimistic but they just seem with their style not very accessible, but there's potential.  I'll listen a few more times.

Yeah, I don't care for Nevermore. I'm not in love with We Are Nothing, especially the chorus, but the album definitely improves after the first song.

That's funny cause there are moments where they sound more like Nevermore than Nevermore.

That's definitely fair. That said, check out Vintage. It's one of their least "Nevermore"-sounding songs. :metal

I agree, that was great.  The ending was kickass.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »
I find that so bizarre. The Nevermore comparisons are obviously on point, but I've personally always had an easier time listening to Witherfall on a whim than I do with them, despite ranking several of their albums as personal favorites. I always have to be in a mood to put on Nevermore. With Witherfall, they just feel a lot more immediately approachable to me. Go figure. :lol

BTW, Kade, definitely check out the single Witherfall released back in March called "The Long Walk Home (December)." It's a moody ballad in the vein of Zak Stevens-era Savatage. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
I find that so bizarre. The Nevermore comparisons are obviously on point, but I've personally always had an easier time listening to Witherfall on a whim than I do with them, despite ranking several of their albums as personal favorites. I always have to be in a mood to put on Nevermore. With Witherfall, they just feel a lot more immediately approachable to me. Go figure. :lol

BTW, Kade, definitely check out the single Witherfall released back in March called "The Long Walk Home (December)." It's a moody ballad in the vein of Zak Stevens-era Savatage. :tup

Will do.  Gonna give the debut another crack too.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2018, 01:45:20 AM »

So I had no idea that this existed, so I had a quick listen.

That was great. Very different from their usual guitar pyrotechnics, but equally enjoyable. :tup

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
At 7:04 into "We are Nothing" I always think "The Mirror" is about to start.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »
So, my old cd buying addiction which I've really gotten a good hold of over the last couple of years reared its ugly head on the weekend.  Plus, you guys are very influential and I trust your opinions and judgement with the utmost respect.  I was out on the weekend and went into JB (cd store) really to see if I could get a copy of the Fifth Angel.  I noticed that for the entire weekend they had 20% off cd's.

I managed to get a copy of the Fifth Angel and also grabbed the newest Behemoth (really liked the last one).  As I was looking down the metal section in alphabetical order I got to W and saw Nocturnes and Requiems.  I picked it up and looked at it's lovely packaging and wonderful artwork.  I put it down and thought about my comments I've just posted here about it and my opinions.  Kept looking as I was waiting for my gf who was browsing in another store and was meeting me where I was and she arrived, 'let's go', I'll' just pay for these,' I said and as I walked my hand took on a mind of its owned reached back in and picked up the album and kept walking.  If they had the new one, I probably would have gotten that too.  I don't know why I felt the need to buy it, but that's that.

Anyway, I cranked it in the car and on the first listen I found it better than I remembered.  The Nevermore references are strong but not as blatant or offensive as I once thought.  The verse riff of Portrait told me right away why I felt like I needed to persist with these guys.  The song structures are quite bizarre IMO and it all kind of feels like a whole at the moment.  Hard to distinguish between the tracks.  Anyway, I'm actually really enjoying it a lot.  I wish there were more hooks but I think the songs will open up more the more I listen.  They are a very talented band, and what they are doing is actually very unique IMO.