Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 44836 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - New Year, New News!!!
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
Witherfall has been in the studio a long time. I wonder what the hell is going on.

Pretty sure they finally finished a little over a week ago. As for why they were recording for so long, it's because the new album is a double album. There's a looooot of new material coming our way in the fall. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »

Pretty sure they finally finished a little over a week ago. As for why they were recording for so long, it's because the new album is a double album. There's a looooot of new material coming our way in the fall. :metal

I missed that about it being a double album. Wow. That's pretty ambitious for a second recording from the band. Looking forward to it.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
Been listening to the debut on Spotify. Pretty good. Will look forward to checking out the follow up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
Witherfall has been in the studio a long time. I wonder what the hell is going on.

Facebook page says Day 83...

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2018, 08:53:35 AM »
FINALLY GOT SOME NEW NEWS!!!

WITHERFALL - New Album Announced

US dark melodic metal masters WITHERFALL will release the highly anticipated follow-up to 2017’s “Nocturnes and Requiems” on November 2nd, 2018. The band reveals more details about this stunning new offering:

“A Prelude To Sorrow is a concept record, though not in the sense that most people have come to know the form. Ours is not a story where each song acts as a chapter. The inspiration lays in the supremely dark reality that was the passing of our drummer and one of our best friends Adam Sagan. These songs are raw emotional reflections, composed in the witching hours under the influence of wine and sorrow, while watching and helping our friend fight and ultimately lose his battle with Lymphoma. Nocturnes and Requiems was dedicated to Adam after the fact. A Prelude to Sorrow is written specifically about his and our personal tragedy. Like Nocturnes and Requiems the songs have been arranged to still have the peaks and valleys that any great record should. With “Prelude” these peaks just might be a little steeper and the valleys might be a little deeper, alternating between violence and beauty. The titles initials are an acronym for “Adam Paul Sagan”, He came up with Nocturnes and Requiems so we suppose it is kind of fitting that he also inspired this title. Hope he doesn’t come knocking on our door for royalties. We hope that this will be a fitting requiem for our friend and talented musician.”

Given its tragic background, main songwriters Joseph Michael (vocals, Sanctuary – live) and Jake Dreyer (guitars, Iced Earth) succeeded in perfectly combining the group’s technical proficiency with an appropriate eerie and somber atmosphere, manifesting also in Kristian Wĺhlin’s majestic cover painting. For mix and mastering, WITHERFALL again worked with Chris “Zeuss” Harris (Sanctuary, Queensryche, Iced Earth).

An album artwork trailer can be seen below!

The “A Prelude To Sorrow” track list can be viewed here:

WITHERFALL – A Prelude To Sorrow
1. A Prelude To Sorrow (1:21)
2. We Are Nothing (11:15)
3. Moment Of Silence (6:50)
4. Communion Of The Wicked (6:35)
5. Maridian’s Visitation (3:30)
6. Shadows (7:03)
7. Ode To Despair (3:51)
8. The Call (3:52)
9. Vintage (11:06)
10. Epilogue (2:53)
https://www.facebook.com/centurymedia/

And better yet, they also released a short teaser! Holy cow, this sounds amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P18I1viXGA

Also looks like the band ultimately decided not to go the double album route this time around. Still pumped as hell to hear this on November 2nd! :metal

Also, the band mentioned on their updated biography on their official website that Gergo Borlai will apparently be featured somewhere on the album! Curious to see how that turns out, since Steve Bolognese is the main drummer. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Excited for it. The blue vinyl looks amazing. Going to have to pass on the vinyl this time, and just pre-order the CD once available on amazon. But can't wait.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Excited for it. The blue vinyl looks amazing. Going to have to pass on the vinyl this time, and just pre-order the CD once available on amazon. But can't wait.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering buying the vinyl. Not one hundred percent sure yet though.

Also- that sample sounds freaking amazing. The production sounds a bit beefier to me than Nocturnes did, which I like. Hope we get a single soon! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I'm seriously considering buying the vinyl. Not one hundred percent sure yet though.

Also- that sample sounds freaking amazing. The production sounds a bit beefier to me than Nocturnes did, which I like. Hope we get a single soon! :metal

I want the blue vinyl. But I am trying to limit my vinyl to albums or bands that are lifetime enjoyments for me. Witherfall, being a newer band, hasn't risen to that level. But I certainly want the limited edition digipack, which I assume are the bonus tracks Joseph Michael talked about.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human

I want the blue vinyl. But I am trying to limit my vinyl to albums or bands that are lifetime enjoyments for me. Witherfall, being a newer band, hasn't risen to that level. But I certainly want the limited edition digipack, which I assume are the bonus tracks Joseph Michael talked about.

Yeah, probably! Although, one of those tracks might also be for the eventual Japanese edition of the album, since that's why they went in and recorded Long Walk Home (December) last year for the first album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
BTW, here's the new biography Witherfall released for the new album!

Witherfall biography 2018

A Prelude to Sorrow

By Chris Dick

Melodic metal masters Witherfall return! After a whirlwind year of triumph and tragedy, California-based Witherfall are poised to storm the hallowed halls of heavy metal with new album, A Prelude to Sorrow. Since the self-release of debut album, Nocturnes and Requiems, in 2017, Witherfall have signed a worldwide deal with Century Media, had their album re-released globally, and played their first-ever show aboard the much-vaunted 70000 Tons of Metal Cruise. But the ascent up and through the ranks was (and still is) bittersweet. The untimely and unfortunate passing of drummer Adam Paul Sagan in 2016 has continued to impact Witherfall profoundly. Whereas Nocturnes and Requiems was a touching dedication to Sagan, A Prelude to Sorrow continues the group’s tribute to and celebration of their fallen brother. To wit, the album title, A Prelude to Sorrow, is derived from Sagan’s initials and the music was inspired and informed by the emotional turmoil primary songwriters Jake Dreyer (guitars) and Joseph Michael (vocals, keyboards) went through. As the album title indicates, A Prelude to Sorrow isn’t big rainbows, cartoon pumpkins, and neon knights.

“Jake and I had already started writing this album when Adam was pretty sick,” says singer and lyricist Joseph Michael. “We knew what was going to happen. A big chunk of this record is about Adam’s death. How fragile life it is. How little time we actually have. Not just people who die from cancer, but all of us. It’s a bit of an old cliché about how many summers we have left. So, the mood on A Prelude to Sorrow is pretty dark and somber.”

“A Prelude to Sorrow just appeared to fall right in place,” adds guitarist Jake Dreyer. “The idea of having an acronym for Adam’s full name seemed to be somewhat poetic considering he named Nocturnes and Requiems. Sort of a reoccurring theme. There was really no way of denying that this record was not going to end up being about Adam.”

Formed in 2013, Witherfall’s start was slow but auspicious. Dreyer and Michael had spent time together in heavy metallers White Wizzard—appearing on The Devils Cut album—so the pair already had a working relationship. They knew one another personally and artistically. They understood their strengths. And what they wanted out of a new heavy metal project. The lineup widened with the addition of Sagan, who was playing drums in Dreyer’s eponymous solo project, and bass virtuoso Anthony Crawford (Alan Holdsworth). Together, the group headed to The Bunker in Phoenix, Arizona to track Nocturnes and Requiems. The result not only impressed heavy metal fans, but also shattered DIY expectations. Big, powerful production? Check. The reputation and experience of a super producer—namely, Chris ‘Zeuss’ Harris (Rob Zombie, Queensr˙che)—to mix and master? Check. And a famous cover artist—none other than Kristian Wĺhlin (Tiamat, Emperor, King Diamond)—to do custom work? Also check. Without a label behind them, Witherfall had done it all.

“Just making A Prelude to Sorrow was a true testament to how much sacrifice and commitment goes into Witherfall,” says Dreyer. “We spent months in the studio getting everything right, working almost 20-hour days to get the ideas in our head delivered and executed properly.”

“We don’t skimp on anything regarding quality,” Michael continues. “Even if it means we’re going to be living in the gutter. We definitely put everything we have into Witherfall.”

Written over a two-year span, A Prelude to Sorrow is Witherfall’s next magnum opus. Described as a continuation of Nocturnes and Requiems—with the opposite ends of Pantera and Queen thrown in for good measure—the group spared, as always, no expense. Dreyer and Michael spent ages writing and arranging. While early on it was apparent the duo had a unique writing chemistry, on A Prelude to Sorrow their strengths were magnified. When one starts a riff, the other finishes it. When a vocal melody hits home, the other supports it. And when a full song comes together, there’s no better moment for the twosome. Songs like “Moment of Silence,” “Ode to Despair,” and “Vintage” aren’t just the products of Witherfall’s long songwriting nights and infinite wells of creativity, they’re the engines of a new wave of heavy metal.

“The songwriting is always me and Jake,” says Michael. “We were on the same team. We don’t let anyone else into the sessions. That’s how we started in the beginning and that’s how it is now, with the new record. That’s what made us go to these crazy lengths to get the first record out. As far as the writing sessions themselves, we’re all over the place. Our schedules are so varied, but we usually wake up around 2 p.m., grab coffee and whatnot, and start writing around 5 p.m. We take a break around midnight, start drinking wine, and close out the sessions between 5 or 7 a.m.”

“A Prelude to Sorrow was definitely a different writing experience over Nocturnes and Requiems,” Dreyer acknowledges. “Nocturnes was written very quickly. A Prelude to Sorrow was spread out over two years. Joseph and I never settle for anything that we do not like. Our chemistry worked like this: we had an idea and an arrangement for a song that ended up becoming ‘Communion of the Wicked.’ We spent many months on the song but then one extremely late night session we just both looked at each other and knew it was not working in its current form. We started from scratch and out came the composition that is on the record.”

A Prelude to Sorrow was recorded over a 13-week period with engineer JJ Crews at Boogie Tracks Recording Studio in Panama City, Florida. The outfit—rounded out by Crawford, session drummers Steve Bolognese (ex-Into Eternity) and Gergo Borlai (Al Di Meola), and session guitarist Fili Bibiano—took their time to ensure that the follow up to Nocturnes and Requiems wasn’t just perfect but significantly a level above. The production is deeper, wider, and warmer. The mix and master jobs by returning hotshot Chris ‘Zeuss’ Harris affords Witherfall clarity, detail, and balance as they roll deftly through their heavily dramatic metal. Overall, the recording, mixing, and mastering took 100 days to complete. Songs like “Shadows,” “We Are Nothing” and “Maridians Visitation” prove that Witherfall pull no punches, possess all-in attitude, and are ready for heavy metal’s highest honor, to sit atop the heap with crown and throne.

“Zeuss is a true professional that we trust shares the vision with how we need Witherfall records to sound, and be delivered,” Dreyer says. “Zeuss understands the passion and commitment we have to each element of a song.”

“There was nothing fun about recording this record,” admits Michael. “It was an exercise in manic and fanatical discipline paired with a drastic sense of duty to get these compositions into audible form. We had Filmmaker Don Adams with us to capture the madness. He kept an unflinching eye on us as we descended into madness. We are lucky we made it to the other side of this thing.”

As with Nocturnes and Requiems so too A Prelude to Sorrow—even cover artist Kristian Wĺhlin is reprising his role. Just on a greater scale. There are still many hills yet for Witherfall to climb, audiences to win over, classic songs to write, and albums to release. And Witherfall will get there. Their very DNA is coded for success. For now, however, the guitarist-vocalist dyad are focused on bringing A Prelude to Sorrow to the masses, even if it means one song at a time, one video at a time, or one show at a time. And if Nocturnes and Requiems was bestowed many an accolade—Metal Injection said the songwriting exhibited “masterclass” qualities, while Rock Hard unfurled a score of 8.5/10—then A Prelude to Sorrow will surely award Witherfall many more as they expound their version of melodic metal and broaden their reach. A new wave of heavy metal is upon us and Witherfall are leading the charge!
https://www.witherfall.com/bio
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline 0u81234

Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - A PRELUDE TO SORROW (New Album, November 2nd, 2018)
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2018, 01:35:45 AM »
Two, 11 min songs?  Oh yes. I can tell that it sounds like the record is going to be very emotionally driven. Saw on FB first song is released on the 7th.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »
Two, 11 min songs?  Oh yes. I can tell that it sounds like the record is going to be very emotionally driven. Saw on FB first song is released on the 7th.

Yeah, I remember Jake and Joseph talking about one of those two songs (Vintage) in an interview they did back in February. I could be remembering it wrong, but I think they said something along the lines of it being one of their favorite songs they've written for the band (alongside Nobody Sleeps Here and Sacrifice) and that it's supposed to be really crazy. I'm gonna double check that interview though to make sure though.

Also, I'm really digging that "Queen meets Pantera" description that the new official bio offered for A Prelude to Sorrow. That's a rather wild and drastic combination of sounds and I'm interested in seeing how that direction will help evolve the band's own distinctive sound. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »
Can't wait for this album. Hopefully a track drops soon.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
Can't wait for this album. Hopefully a track drops soon.

We're getting a track on Friday, I think. September 7th. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
Okay, first single off the new album released! It's "Ode to Despair"! :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_LUai2NYMQ

Pretty great song, though interestingly it's on the shorter side compared to previous songs from the band on the first album. It'd be awesome if this song somehow manages to make a bit of a splash on rock/metal airwaves or something.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »
Awesome!  I like that they wrote a short, concise song that still has their sound, with just a little widdly-widdly in the guitars, but doesn't go all-out crazy. 

Looking forward the album!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »
Awesome!  I like that they wrote a short, concise song that still has their sound, with just a little widdly-widdly in the guitars, but doesn't go all-out crazy. 

Looking forward the album!

Yeah, there seems to be two other shorter songs on the album like Ode to Despair (Maridian's Visitation and The Call), so it'll be interesting to see if one of them is more of a ballad like The Great Awakening or something quick and heavy.

Interestingly enough, the chorus reminds me a lot of Dio on the Dehumanizer album. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
Dig it! Different, but I like it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2018, 06:15:29 AM »

Yeah, putting aside the obvious fact that this song is significantly more concise than the songs on the first album, that chorus definitely has a bit of a new splash to it. Very Dehumanizer-era Sabbath imo.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »

Yeah, putting aside the obvious fact that this song is significantly more concise than the songs on the first album, that chorus definitely has a bit of a new splash to it. Very Dehumanizer-era Sabbath imo.

Someone told me Joseph let them hear two songs at ProgPower and they are significantly different than Nocturnes

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2018, 05:27:13 AM »
Someone told me Joseph let them hear two songs at ProgPower and they are significantly different than Nocturnes

I can definitely believe it. Joseph and Jake have both mentioned a few times over the past year that their biggest influence musically is Queen and you can really start to hear that in A Long Walk Home (December). Between that and the updated bio on their website mentioning that the new album is "a continuation of Nocturnes with added elements of Pantera and Queen," I suspect A Prelude to Sorrow is going to be a very interesting evolution for Witherfall.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2018, 08:42:47 AM »

Cool. I am looking forward to hearing it all.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2018, 08:11:18 AM »
So the next single off A Prelude to Sorrow is going to be Moment of Silence. Comes out on October 5th, but we got a brief 20 second preview of the song on YouTube now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZw1145b8Lo

So yeah- those reports of the new stuff sounding different were on the money. The first part reminds me a bit of Ripper-era Iced Earth or especially Charred Walls of the Damned (it's the combination of Joseph's vocals and the heavy use of blast beats). Yet I also kind of get a bit of a Savatage vibe from the vocal melody? Like, Joseph isn't hitting the same sorts of notes that Jon Oliva or Zac Stevens would, but there's something about that melody that feels... theatrical?

Whatever it is, this song definitely seems to be offering further new ground for the band. I'm excited to hear more soon! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Grappler

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
Wow, he sounds a lot like Ripper Owens on that clip.   Blast beats!   :metal :metal   

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2018, 08:34:58 AM »
Wow, he sounds a lot like Ripper Owens on that clip.   Blast beats!   :metal :metal

Yup. Definitely seems like it'll be a heavy song. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
Hey everyone, Jake and Joseph of Witherfall here, thanks to all of you for being active on this board. If anyone has any questions at all feel free to ask us. "Moment of Silence" will be released Friday.
-JD
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:23:05 PM by Witherfall_Joesph_Jake »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
Hey everyone, Jake and Joseph of Witherfall here, thanks to all of you for being active on this board. If anyone has any questions at all feel free to ask us. "Moment of Silence" will be released Friday.
-JD

Hey Jake (and Joseph), thanks for signing-on here. Looking forward to the record!  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »
Glad to have you guys around!  The new songs have been awesome to hear so far. 

And I know it's Witherfall time with the new album coming out, but is there any chance of further music from Sanctuary? 

« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2018, 01:27:56 PM »
Glad to have you guys around!  The new songs have been awesome to hear so far. 

And I know it's Witherfall time with the new album coming out, but is there any chance of further music from Sanctuary?

Sanctuary is working on new material. I fly up to Seattle next week. Hope you guys like the song tomorrow. It's a roller coaster!

:metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
Looking forward to it! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »
-JD

Holy moly, this is a turn of events I did not see coming! It's so great to have you guys here. :metal I actually was wondering- your new site bio mentioned that Gergo Borlai is featured on the album. Are you able to say at the moment what song(s) he's featured on?

And yeah, to follow up Jake's comment up above, the band just released the music video for Moment of Silence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAMWcSY1jwI

I'm LOVING this song. I'm hearing a ton of Ripper-era Iced Earth, King Diamond, Nevermore and even Individual Thought Patterns-era Death in here and I'm losing my mind over that combination of sounds. :hefdaddy

Sanctuary is working on new material. I fly up to Seattle next week. Hope you guys like the song tomorrow. It's a roller coaster!

:metal

That's awesome news! And yeah, man, this new song is fantastic. You guys are crushing it with this new album so far. :metal
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:50:27 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
Awesome tune! :metal

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2018, 08:06:28 PM »
Awesome tune! :metal

I really like it too but............

If I have to listen to an album chock full of low end from the 8 string guitar then I know I am going to struggle a bit.  I don't mind how JP uses it (not all the time) so ,even though I like this new track from Witherfall, I just know my ears will struggle if the whole album is like that.

On the positive side - there's a degree of originality and songwriting care/thought that you don't see very often these days and the combo of prog/classic/thrash/ with a nice dark atmosphere works great. 

I loved the first two tracks on the debut Witherfall but just "liked" the rest.  Looking forward to hearing the new album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »

If I have to listen to an album chock full of low end from the 8 string guitar then I know I am going to struggle a bit.

Yeah, that's fair.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »

If I have to listen to an album chock full of low end from the 8 string guitar then I know I am going to struggle a bit.  I don't mind how JP uses it (not all the time) so ,even though I like this new track from Witherfall, I just know my ears will struggle if the whole album is like that.

On the positive side - there's a degree of originality and songwriting care/thought that you don't see very often these days and the combo of prog/classic/thrash/ with a nice dark atmosphere works great. 

I loved the first two tracks on the debut Witherfall but just "liked" the rest.  Looking forward to hearing the new album.

That's totally understandable. Did you ever hear their bonus track single (The Long Walk Home (December)) that came out back in the spring? It's a far mellower tune than most of the other existing Witherfall songs.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea