Author Topic: Rush's Five Album Run From 2112 To Moving Pictures  (Read 9808 times)

Online Sycsa

Re: Rush's Five Album Run From 2112 To Moving Pictures
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
Classic prog really started to burn out after 1974, so it's hard to pick 5 or more consistent albums out of that period and genre. If we're going for albums which are all so good that they're almost interchangeable, I'd pick Kansas (first 5 albums) and Gentle Giant (first 7).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2020, 04:21:16 AM »
Rush's album run from 2112 to Moving Pictures is superb and among the best runs in rock music.
Some guys in this thread mentioned Yes' run from The Yes Album to Relayer, but I disagree because Tales From Topographic Oceans is generally not considered a top-tier record.

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath have 6 great classic albums in a row (their first 6 records), Iron Maiden has 7 (all their 80's albums), Opeth's run from Morningrise to Damnation is very strong. Thin Lizzy's run from Fighting to Black Rose too.
I would add Bruce Springsteen from The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle to Nebraska (5 albums) and Neil Young from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere to Zuma (6 albums).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2020, 06:59:31 AM »
Rush's album run from 2112 to Moving Pictures is superb and among the best runs in rock music.
Some guys in this thread mentioned Yes' run from The Yes Album to Relayer, but I disagree because Tales From Topographic Oceans is generally not considered a top-tier record.

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath have 6 great classic albums in a row (their first 6 records), Iron Maiden has 7 (all their 80's albums), Opeth's run from Morningrise to Damnation is very strong. Thin Lizzy's run from Fighting to Black Rose too.
I would add Bruce Springsteen from The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle to Nebraska (5 albums) and Neil Young from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere to Zuma (6 albums).

Pink Floyd.

Offline HOF

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2020, 07:50:00 AM »
Count me as one who prefers the run from Permanent Waves through Power Windows.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2020, 08:38:18 AM »

Same here.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2020, 08:38:46 AM »

Same here.

Same. That run absolutely smokes 2112 to MP imo
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »
Power Windows is my #1 album of all time soooooooo.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2020, 08:43:12 AM »

MY MAN! :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »

Power Windows is my go-to Rush album.  I think Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are better, but I can listen to Power Windows at any time. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »

Power Windows is my go-to Rush album.  I think Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are better, but I can listen to Power Windows at any time.

The Power Windows legion grows!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2020, 09:28:37 AM »

The Power Windows legion grows!!

Power Windows is also my favorite Rush album. Though at times I feel very similarly strongly about Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Presto.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:38:53 AM by HOF »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
Wow. TAC isn't going to like this series of posts when he wakes up from his nap.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:34 AM »
When he turns on his Thingamajig.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »
Of course it was WildRanger who resurrected this three year old thread.   :biggrin:

Yeesh.  Not even close.

I agree that Signals is part of Rush's run, but GUP and PoW aren't fit to hold the pee bucket for 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres.  GUP and PoW can barely muster one album's worth of listenable material between them.

And I disagree because I think TFTO is a GREAT album, and I would extend Yes's run from TYA to GFTO.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »
Of course it was WildRanger who resurrected this three year old thread.   :biggrin:

Yeesh.  Not even close.

I agree that Signals is part of Rush's run, but GUP and PoW aren't fit to hold the pee bucket for 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres.  GUP and PoW can barely muster one album's worth of listenable material between them.

And I disagree because I think TFTO is a GREAT album, and I would extend Yes's run from TYA to GFTO.

I am glad that I am not old enough to be subject to the tyranny of thought that “everything was better in the 70s.”

;) :P

Offline romdrums

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »

Yeesh.  Not even close.

I am glad that I am not old enough to be subject to the tyranny of thought that “everything was better in the 70s.”

Same.  I'm 43, but holy hell, if I hear one more boomer type say, "back when REAL music was made!" I'm going to smash their 59 Les Paul replica over their heads.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dream Theater yet - Images and Words through Six Degrees (since we are counting consecutive studio albums and not factoring in EPs or compilations).
I would go with Scenes, Six Degrees, TOT,  Octavarium, and  SC..   All fantastic albums imo.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
I'm 52, close to 53 sooooooooooooo........

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2020, 11:19:17 AM »

And I disagree because I think TFTO is a GREAT album.

I find it a mixed bag. And there is no consensus that TFTO is a great Yes album (as CTTE or Fragile or The Yes Album).
For example, it's rated 3.90 on ProgArchives, so it's not a high average score there.

Offline HOF

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2020, 11:20:43 AM »

Yeesh.  Not even close.

Same.  I'm 43, but holy hell, if I hear one more boomer type say, "back when REAL music was made!" I'm going to smash their 59 Les Paul replica over their heads.

I kid mostly. I’m sure most people have a period in their life where they were strongly influenced by what was going on at the time and that informs your likes and preferences for the rest of your life. For me that was probably more the 90s, although I was also exposed to music from the 70s and 80s growing up. I’m glad that I was able to come to a band like Rush retrospectively because I think that makes it easier to appreciate the different phases of the band. Heck, I’m kind of biased against 2000s and beyond Dream Theater, partly because the 90s releases were formative for me. Just didn’t like them when they started to change after about SFAM/SDOIT. But if you came to those releases first, I can see why it would be easier to like them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
Give us a break; back when REAL music was made we didn't have to deal with people that didn't realize it.  ;) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »

When it comes to rock bands who had a big discography through two decades - 70's and 80's, in the vast majority of cases their 70's output easily crushes the 80's output. For example, let's look at ZZ Top: "Tres Hombres" kicks the living crap out of "Eliminator".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
70's is my favorite era for music.  Doesn't mean i can't love 80's output.  Also Wildranger, I think all output from ZZ Top sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
70's is my favorite era for music.  Doesn't mean i can't love 80's output.  Also Wildranger, I think all output from ZZ Top sucks.

I want to buy you a beer for this. Hell yeah  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »

Yeesh.  Not even close.

Dafuq?!

There was very little about the 70s that was "better" than the 80s, but the music of Rush and Yes by and large fall into that category.  I was a kid in the 70s and a teen and young adult in the 80s, but when you look back from a historical perspective, there was a shit-ton of shit happening in the 70s that I'm glad I was too young to deal with.

And I disagree because I think TFTO is a GREAT album.

I find it a mixed bag. And there is no consensus that TFTO is a great Yes album (as CTTE or Fragile or The Yes Album).
For example, it's rated 3.90 on ProgArchives, so it's not a high average score there.

Yes, I'm aware that TFTO is not universally as highly regarded as the albums on either side of it, but that's why opinions are subjective.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dream Theater yet - Images and Words through Six Degrees (since we are counting consecutive studio albums and not factoring in EPs or compilations).
I would go with Scenes, Six Degrees, TOT,  Octavarium, and  SC..   All fantastic albums imo.   :metal

The existence of FII and SC make it impossible to come up with a 5-album run for DT that works for me.  Those are two of their bottom four albums, but the four in between (which, by the way, contain far more music than just about any of the five-album runs that have been mentioned) are virtually unparalleled.

That's because it's an objective fact.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2020, 11:54:21 AM »
And that's my opinion. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »
Oh and pg, we still our candybars. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »

Huh.   That surprises me from both of you (and pg).   I would have thought that they would be at least middle of the road.  They seem to have a modicum of integrity, and Billy Gibbons is a monster player.    Personally, you have to be careful with ZZ Top's catalogue (they went through a phase when they reconfigured their earlier output to sound more like "Eliminator", which is to be avoided, but they went back to the original mixes which still sound good today). 

They were less than impressive live though; I saw them as a headliner and they literally played for 60 minutes.  Lame (even if the 60 minutes were solid).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2020, 12:04:49 PM »
I don't mind a few songs but they've never been "my cup of tea."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
There was very little about the 70s that was "better" than the 80s, but the music of Rush and Yes by and large fall into that category.  I was a kid in the 70s and a teen and young adult in the 80s, but when you look back from a historical perspective, there was a shit-ton of shit happening in the 70s that I'm glad I was too young to deal with.

We're the same age; I know for me there's a whiff of "you had to be there" to some of the concerts of the 70's.  I'm sure a lot of it is apochryphal, but I'd have loved to experience a true 70's show from Zeppelin or the Dead.   I saw the Dead in the 80's (well, more correctly, I worked the show as a security guard/usher) and it was one of the more crazy shows I was ever at.   I can only imagine that was a watered down version of the 70's heyday. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
Just going back to the original topic of the 5 album run from Rush beginning with 2112 and ending with Moving Pictures - those are the only Rush albums that interest me.  What they became after these albums is just not my cup of tea.  Although I freely admit I did enjoy the bulk of their radio hits throughout their careers. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »

You do know that Eliminator was not their first album, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »

That's because it's an objective fact.

Nope, it's not. "Tres Hombres" is objectively good.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:41:40 PM by WildRanger »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
 :lol

You do know that Eliminator was not their first album, right?

Are you really asking me this? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »

Huh.   That surprises me from both of you (and pg).   I would have thought that they would be at least middle of the road.  They seem to have a modicum of integrity, and Billy Gibbons is a monster player.    Personally, you have to be careful with ZZ Top's catalogue (they went through a phase when they reconfigured their earlier output to sound more like "Eliminator", which is to be avoided, but they went back to the original mixes which still sound good today). 

They were less than impressive live though; I saw them as a headliner and they literally played for 60 minutes.  Lame (even if the 60 minutes were solid).

I can't say I'm all that familiar with ZZ Top's pre-Eliminator stuff.  I know there's Tush, which seems to be a pretty garden variety boogie-woogie song.  There's a another song where I have to assume Gibbons got drunk and mumbled a lot and they recorded it and decided to use it as the "vocal" for the song.

I think Sharp Dressed Man is an ok song, but it's almost the exact same song as Gimme All Your Loving.  Your reference to integrity is interesting because comparing the sound of their early stuff to the Eliminator stuff leads me to conclude that they sold out big time to the gods of MTV.

Ultimately, ZZ Top is a blues-rock band, and I don't like the blues and am not a fan of overtly bluesy rock.  Definitely not my cup of meat (tea isn't my cup of tea either).

We're the same age; I know for me there's a whiff of "you had to be there" to some of the concerts of the 70's.  I'm sure a lot of it is apochryphal, but I'd have loved to experience a true 70's show from Zeppelin or the Dead.   I saw the Dead in the 80's (well, more correctly, I worked the show as a security guard/usher) and it was one of the more crazy shows I was ever at.   I can only imagine that was a watered down version of the 70's heyday. 

I have no interest in the Dead, but I definitely agree with you about 70s concerts.  Zeppelin and Sabbath in their early 70s heyday.  Yes on the CTTE tour or in the round on GFTO.  Rush on the Drive Until You Die tour.  The Who with Keith Moon.  Those will definitely be time machine destinations for me.  My comment about there being very little about the 70s that was better than the 80s was intended to be very all-encompassing.