Author Topic: Rush's Five Album Run From 2112 To Moving Pictures  (Read 9807 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush's Five Album Run From 2112 To Moving Pictures
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »
70's is my favorite era for music.  Doesn't mean i can't love 80's output.  Also Wildranger, I think all output from ZZ Top sucks.

In other words, ZZ Top is the only band you didn't see in the 80's. :lol :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
ZZ Top never appealed to me much, but I've had fun covering "Cheap Sunglasses" and "Tush" which is always a crowd pleaser

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »
I go through a ZZ Top phase once every three or four years.  Usually last a day or two and it is fun, and then I move on and get back to them three-four years later again. :lol 

The songs in my 80's playlist (Gimme All Your Lovin', Legs) and Cheap Sunglasses (killer song I listen to often) notwithstanding. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
70's is my favorite era for music.  Doesn't mean i can't love 80's output.  Also Wildranger, I think all output from ZZ Top sucks.

In other words, ZZ Top is the only band you didn't see in the 80's. :lol :lol

BINGO!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2020, 02:48:31 PM »
Count me as one who prefers the run from Permanent Waves through Power Windows.

Same here.

Same. That run absolutely smokes 2112 to MP imo
Count me in.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »

I want to buy you a beer for this. Hell yeah  :lol

Huh.   That surprises me from both of you (and pg).   I would have thought that they would be at least middle of the road.  They seem to have a modicum of integrity, and Billy Gibbons is a monster player.    Personally, you have to be careful with ZZ Top's catalogue (they went through a phase when they reconfigured their earlier output to sound more like "Eliminator", which is to be avoided, but they went back to the original mixes which still sound good today). 

They were less than impressive live though; I saw them as a headliner and they literally played for 60 minutes.  Lame (even if the 60 minutes were solid).

I don't doubt they're monster players, and even in their hits they show chops, but I just can't bring myself to listen to them and don't like their hits much either. I've heard three albums - Degüello, La Futura, and one of their other early ones I can't remember the name of off the top of my head - and they're just so meh.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2020, 02:54:47 PM »

Huh.   That surprises me from both of you (and pg).   I would have thought that they would be at least middle of the road.  They seem to have a modicum of integrity, and Billy Gibbons is a monster player.    Personally, you have to be careful with ZZ Top's catalogue (they went through a phase when they reconfigured their earlier output to sound more like "Eliminator", which is to be avoided, but they went back to the original mixes which still sound good today). 

They were less than impressive live though; I saw them as a headliner and they literally played for 60 minutes.  Lame (even if the 60 minutes were solid).

I don't doubt they're monster players, and even in their hits they show chops

I can't hear anything resembling "chops" in any ZZ Top song I've heard (which, granted, is probably not more than a dozen, about half of which are from Eliminator).  I have two vague recollections from when ZZ Top exploded in the MTV days.  The first was that Dusty Hill was a terrible bass player, and the other was something about them having livestock on the stage during their 70s concerts.  I took a look at the band's Wiki page and saw nothing about livestock, so maybe that was just a weird story or something I've mixed up in my head.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »
PG, check out the rock doc on ZZ Top. Even though I wasn't a fan i enjoyed it throughly. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2020, 07:20:02 AM »

I can't hear anything resembling "chops" in any ZZ Top song I've heard (which, granted, is probably not more than a dozen, about half of which are from Eliminator).  I have two vague recollections from when ZZ Top exploded in the MTV days.  The first was that Dusty Hill was a terrible bass player, and the other was something about them having livestock on the stage during their 70s concerts.  I took a look at the band's Wiki page and saw nothing about livestock, so maybe that was just a weird story or something I've mixed up in my head.

Well, it depends.   Find the Live at Daryl's House with Billy Gibbons; he SMOKES it in that setting.  But you're right; "Legs" is not exactly prog in it's instrumental stylings.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »

No, it happened.  The '76-'77 World Wide Texas Tour.  There are few photos, but this link has video, and at one point the camera pans to a rattlesnake coiled on the stage. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
I am not a huge Rush guy, but what I enjoy of theirs, I rank as high as anything I have in my library. Subjectively, this 5 album stretch could be unparalleled in my musical collection.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »
I am not a huge Rush guy, but what I enjoy of theirs, I rank as high as anything I have in my library. Subjectively, this 5 album stretch could be unparalleled in my musical collection.

In hindsight, this is kind of me.  I rarely ever rank them as "my favorite band" or even in the top three or four, but some of their albums?   Hemispheres is a top five album ALL TIME for me, and AFTK and MP are probably top 10, top 15.   That's pretty damn good for a guy that has something like 2,000 CDs. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »
Aerosmith had a pretty good run of albums beginning with their debut through their 5th

Aerosmith - S/T - 1973
Get Your Wings - 1974
Toys In The Attic - 1975
Rocks - 1976
Draw The Line - 1977

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »
Aerosmith had a pretty good run of albums beginning with their debut through their 5th

Aerosmith - S/T - 1973
Get Your Wings - 1974
Toys In The Attic - 1975
Rocks - 1976
Draw The Line - 1977

Not questioning you, but no Night In The Ruts?   I agree with that run - solid, especially GYW through Rocks - but I'm a big fan of NITR.   One or two duff tracks - Remember is only ok and I can do without Reefer Headed Woman - but I LOVE the rest of Side A and I like it as a whole at least as much as Draw The Line.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2020, 01:53:35 PM »
I think personally DTL is a weak album with their best song.  Kings & Queens. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2020, 12:49:19 PM »

In hindsight, this is kind of me.  I rarely ever rank them as "my favorite band" or even in the top three or four, but some of their albums?   Hemispheres is a top five album ALL TIME for me, and AFTK and MP are probably top 10, top 15.   That's pretty damn good for a guy that has something like 2,000 CDs.

I don't think I have a Rush album in my top 10 albums of all-time. I'm fairly sure I don't.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2020, 12:56:13 PM »
I'm sure Moving Pictures (my favorite Rush album) would wind up somewhere in my top 50 albums. I can comfortably call Rush one of my favorite bands of all time, and I genuinely don't think I can call any of their albums outright "bad", which is something I can rarely say about any artist with a discography as extensive as theirs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »
I'm sure Moving Pictures (my favorite Rush album) would wind up somewhere in my top 50 albums. I can comfortably call Rush one of my favorite bands of all time, and I genuinely don't think I can call any of their albums outright "bad", which is something I can rarely say about any artist with a discography as extensive as theirs.

Rush is my favorite band of all-time. There are only about a dozen songs in the entire catalog that I'm that not into and their first single has two of them.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2020, 03:59:38 PM »
Here's a question - can anyone pick a favorite five album run that DOESN'T include Moving Pictures?

I'm sure most folks might pick Signals-Presto, which is pretty decent, but I'm wondering if anyone would pick, say, Counterparts-Clockwork Angels, or even Caress Of Steel-Permanent Waves?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »
Here's a question - can anyone pick a favorite five album run that DOESN'T include Moving Pictures?

I'm sure most folks might pick Signals-Presto, which is pretty decent, but I'm wondering if anyone would pick, say, Counterparts-Clockwork Angels, or even Caress Of Steel-Permanent Waves?

-Marc.

I can't, but I get the sense that at least a couple folks here might take GUP through RTB or PoW through Counterparts.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »

-Marc.

I would go Fly By Night through Hemispheres.   I actually like most of Caress (I don't like I Think I'm Going Bald, even though it's inspired by a Kiss song, but I really like The Fountain of Lamneth).  I like FBN more than I like PeW, I think.  I'll have to think about that a bit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »
I don't like I Think I'm Going Bald,

That's a shock! Figured it'd be Top 5! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2020, 01:12:18 AM »

-Marc.

I would take Caress Of Steel-Permanent Waves easily. COS is good, next 4 albums are great. Signals-Presto? Nah, because Hold Your Fire and Presto are weak albums. Counterparts-Clockwork Angels? Nah. Because three albums between Counterparts and CA are meh.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2020, 01:38:29 AM »
Signal-Presto for me

I considered Caress Of Steel-Permanent Waves, but Hemispheres keeps me from choosing it.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »
If we're excluding MP, then I'd go with CoS-PeW. Caress is solid but the band was still unrealized at that point IMO. Everything from 2112 onward is just straight fire.

I may have gone with Signals-Presto if not for HYF, which I'm not too keen on aside from a couple tracks.

Offline HOF

« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
I don’t know if I like Presto that much better than Permanent Waves or if I like Moving Pictures that much more than Hold Your Fire. That makes it a tough call whether to go with Permanent Waves-Power Windows or Signals-Presto.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:07 PM »

-Marc.

If I have to pick a 5-album run that doesn't have Moving Pictures, I will take Power Windows through Counterparts.  It has two of my five favorite Rush records (the ones that bookend it), a major sentimental favorite in Roll the Bones, and two more good ones in HYF and Presto.  Signals through Presto is tempting, but I probably slightly prefer the CP/RtB combo to Signals/GuP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
If I were to take a favorite 5 album run that didn’t include MP, it would probably be CoS-PeW. But man, I REALLY love most of CP-CA. CP hasn’t aged well, and there’s some duds on VT, but I still play TFE, SAA, and CA all the time. LOVE those albums.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lethean

« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2020, 09:04:26 PM »

-Marc.

I could probably pick all three.  But I'll go with Counterparts-Clockwork Angels for today.  I went on a big Rush binge after Neil passed away and found myself going back to those albums often.  It's a great run to end their career.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2020, 04:09:49 PM »

I could probably pick all three.  But I'll go with Counterparts-Clockwork Angels for today.  I went on a big Rush binge after Neil passed away and found myself going back to those albums often.  It's a great run to end their career.

Yeah.  Even though none of the three are among my favorites, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows are all still good albums.  Plenty to like on each.  I am not going to go all fanboy and loudly proclaim, "ZOMG, Rush's worst albums are better than most bands' best," or anything silly like that, but I will submit that you won't find many rock bands or artists who made that many albums and were still making ones that solid/good once they got to 16, 17 and 18.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2020, 08:27:42 AM »

Aerosmith - S/T - 1973
Get Your Wings - 1974
Toys In The Attic - 1975
Rocks - 1976
Draw The Line - 1977

Not questioning you, but no Night In The Ruts?   I agree with that run - solid, especially GYW through Rocks - but I'm a big fan of NITR.   One or two duff tracks - Remember is only ok and I can do without Reefer Headed Woman - but I LOVE the rest of Side A and I like it as a whole at least as much as Draw The Line.

Well, for me if we're talking about 5-album runs, I prefer the debut by a slight margin to Night In The Ruts, so that's why I went with the debut >> draw the line, but there is no doubt that Night In The Ruts is a great album, despite a couple of toss-out tracks. 

Seems we have similar musical tastes.  :smiley:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
A while ago, I put all of the Rush studio albums in a mega playlist and sorted them in chronological order.  First time I did this at work, I started at the debut and made it to GUP by the end of my day.  Today, I started at Permanent Waves and I'm finishing up T4E right now.  It helped me get through Black Friday, for sure.   :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2020, 05:37:51 PM »

Aerosmith - S/T - 1973
Get Your Wings - 1974
Toys In The Attic - 1975
Rocks - 1976
Draw The Line - 1977

Not questioning you, but no Night In The Ruts?   I agree with that run - solid, especially GYW through Rocks - but I'm a big fan of NITR.   One or two duff tracks - Remember is only ok and I can do without Reefer Headed Woman - but I LOVE the rest of Side A and I like it as a whole at least as much as Draw The Line.

Well, for me if we're talking about 5-album runs, I prefer the debut by a slight margin to Night In The Ruts, so that's why I went with the debut >> draw the line, but there is no doubt that Night In The Ruts is a great album, despite a couple of toss-out tracks. 

Seems we have similar musical tastes.  :smiley:

Night In The Ruts is EASILY my favorite Aerosmith album. In fact my favorite three album run by Aerosmith is NITR/RIAHP/DWM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2020, 07:55:08 PM »
I kind of see Rush's run from the debut through Presto to be unmatched. Every record is filled with strong material, and for the most part, does not include much if anything I dislike.

From a Rating standpoint, every record is between 4 and 5-stars.

There's really only 2 other bands I find that have had that kind of an extensive run of consistency for me.

-Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin I through In through the Out Door, aka their whole catalog minus Coda
-Renaissance: Prologue through A Song for All Seasons

why it's incredibly difficult for me to rank those catalogs.

Like Rush, I see Zeppelin and Renaissance having incredibly consistent and even catalogs. The difference between their worst record and their best record is not all that much.

Why if you take 2112 through Moving Pictures doesn't mean much to me because you could take Caress of Steel through Hemispheres or A Farewell to Kings through Signals, or Permanent Waves through Grace Under Pressure, and they are all so close, it's really just splitting hairs for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »

-Marc.

Not counting Feedback I'd do Test For Echo through Clockwork Angels and I'd want to include the live albums too.