Author Topic: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS  (Read 61668 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean it was bad, just stated it was weird given they have so many songs that can open up a concert so nicely (in that album you have ITPOE Pt.1, which is still the best song SC has to offer IMO) and they still went after TDEN.

ITPOE-1 would be quite a weird opener, I'd say. The introduction of JLB after 6 minutes or so, and in a quieter moment of the song, would feel absolutely anti-climatic.
They opened a couple of concerts back in 2009 with that one and I thought it was amazing, but yeah you kinda have a point.
They used it to open a lot of shows for ProgNation 2008, and I know it was used on occasion to open up a handful of headlining shows in 2007 as well. Personally, I think it's a great way to open the show, even if JL doesn't come out right away.

So, it looks like there is no background video this tour! I wasn't expecting this, to say the least.
You are correct - no video this time around.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
They didn't lose money on the TA tour.

Probably not. The guaranteed money comes from the promoter and a small percentage of ticket sales goes to the band. Even with cancelled shows, I think they still receive some money, depending on the wording of the contract from DT. The merch was selling like hot pancakes in both nights that I went in the US.

Offline genome

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
So, it looks like there is no background video this tour! I wasn't expecting this, to say the least.
Good, they don't have to worry about that lining up with a click track and they can just play.

Have they confirmed no click track for this tour? It'll be interesting to see if the gig feels any different (which I assume it would take on a different kind of energy) to other MM tours.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
Good, they don't have to worry about that lining up with a click track and they can just play.

Have they confirmed no click track for this tour? It'll be interesting to see if the gig feels any different (which I assume it would take on a different kind of energy) to other MM tours.

Yea it would be nice to know if the lack of video does mean no click.

Also, ITPOE pt1 is an awesome opener.  They opened with it one night I saw them and thought it was great.  :metal

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
Given that there were barely 2 months (including the holidays) between the end of TA tour and this show, I bet they didn't have enough time to hire anyone to come up with projections for the songs they hadn't played with MM before. A bit of a bummer, but the stage still looks pretty cool.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »
8V and ACOS in?!?!
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2017/sala-santa-cecilia-auditorium-parco-della-musica-rome-italy-1bf8c97c.html

I was just looking at this, seems way too good to be true.. they are my 2 favourite songs EVER. Can someone at the show confirm this?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »
8V and ACOS in?!?!
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2017/sala-santa-cecilia-auditorium-parco-della-musica-rome-italy-1bf8c97c.html

I was just looking at this, seems way too good to be true.. they are my 2 favourite songs EVER. Can someone at the show confirm this?

I'm not at the show and can confirm that is BS.  Just read this thread, someones messing with the setlist.  You can follow here when people at the show confirm the encore.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »
Don't trust updates from the user named "darketernal".
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »
Does anybody know what part of the set are they? The should be finishing the IAW anytime now  :o

8V and ACOS in?!?!

It's just people trolling on setlist fm. Wait till keyboard wizard posts the encore songs on this thread.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
Don't trust setlist.fm unless I'm editing.
I cannot confirm but if you take the timing into account it's impossible : the first set ended a 9:40 pm. Let's say there was a 20min intermission. So the second set with images would start at 10pm. It's only 11pm here in France/Italy so they are only listening to Learning to live
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
I thought it was too good to be true, what a shame. I imagine playing them back to back and the band re learning them would take an insane feat

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:31 PM »
They didn't lose money on the TA tour.

True. I guess the promoters were the big losers (at least on the 2nd US leg).

« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
And now some suckers are saying that SDOIT (the second cd) is played live.
Unfortunately I cannot confirm as Octavarius has gone dark but it's impossible (with the timing) that they are playing Solitary Shell right now.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »
I don't get why they would do that.. what's the gain? Incredibly frustrating

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »
Sorry for going ot, but this thing about losing money drives me crazy.
People gives for granted things that are not, like how this things works or details.
Does anyone here know the fees for any or all the theaters/palasports they're playing? Or how much does DT ask for a concert? Or for this run? How much do  DT pay for crew or trucks?

It may happens, and it has happened lots of times with a lot of artists, but thing are really less obvious than what  you think.

« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Now the BS carries on : You not Me seriously... I liked when someone said that Petrucci was dancing naked...

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »
People gives for granted things that are not, like how this things works or details.
Does anyone here know the fees for any or all the theaters/palasports they're playing? Or how much does DT ask for a concert? Or for this run? How much do  DT pay for crew or trucks?

It may happens, and it has happened lots of times with a lot of artists, but things are really less obvious than what you think.

Sorry for double posting quoting myself, i'm typing from iPhone...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »

It may happens, and it has happened lots of times with a lot of artists, but things are really less obvious than what you think.

Sorry for double posting quoting myself, i'm typing from iPhone...

99% of my typos on this forum have come from typing on the iphone, I know your pain  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Now the BS carries on : You not Me seriously... I liked when someone said that Petrucci was dancing naked...

I agree it's ridiculous .
Thanks for all your work !

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
Petrucci was dancing naked...

:omg:  The Bigger Picture, indeed!  :eyebrows:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
End of second set and here are the updates
Another day longer with Jordan solo
Take the time  longer with JP solo
And ACOS for the encore!!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »
:woot:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
Hell yeah ACOS, I knew they'd do it! Now I can finally go to bed in peace :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
Smart move on their part.  :tup

Tata longer with JP solo
Smart move on their part.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReinoudW

« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
ACOS as encore would just be too good to be true!!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
What's TATA? Take the Time?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »
It's true.

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
Sorry, my phone auto corrected TTT

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
What's TATA? Take the Time?
The extended version is nicknamed "Take All Time Always"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
End of second set and here are the updates
Tata longer with JP solo
And ACOS for the encore!!
So they're doing Another Day like they last did with MP in the band. And is "Tata" supposed to be TtT?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReinoudW

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
It's true.
OMG, I will just totally freak out next week in Holland. Thank you DT.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
yups, 013 here we come! :-)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
Now that we know the whole set, which could be the other monster song (besides ACOS) Mangini was refering to when he said he was transcribing 2 monster songs?

« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
TDEN is a song about a monster... Maybe Octavarium and they would switch every other night... But that would be a mistake as the fans want to hear them both.