Author Topic: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS  (Read 61459 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
Now that we know the whole set, which could be the other monster song (besides ACOS) Mangini was refering to when he said he was transcribing 2 monster songs?
I'm guessing Learning To Live.  I don't believe they had played it with him before this, and it really is a monster of a song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
Now that we know the whole set, which could be the other monster song (besides ACOS) Mangini was refering to when he said he was transcribing 2 monster songs?

HK? Or take the time!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
I'm guessing Learning To Live.  I don't believe they had played it with him before this, and it really is a monster of a song.

That was played on the Summer tour preceding ADToE :) Perhaps you mean TTT?
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline pcs90

« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
They did play it with MM before.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2017, 03:34:11 PM »

That was played on the Summer tour preceding ADToE :)

Right.  Just saw that as I was going back double checking.  Not sure then.  I guess someone will have to ask him that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »
You can hear LtL on the Happy Holidays bootleg
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »
Now the BS carries on : You not Me

I'd LOVE that! Not a favorite of mine, but I've never seen it live,

« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
Me too but definitely not a fan favourite ;) unlike ACOS.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »

That was played on the Summer tour preceding ADToE :) Perhaps you mean TTT?
Probably - besides ACoS, TBP and HK, it's the only song that MM had to learn for this setlist, assuming they continue with the static setlist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
The highlights of this setlist for me are definitely TBP and HK. ACOS isn't a particular favorite but I am very interested to hear it with this lineup. Also glad it seems like they are throwing in a few extended sections. I hope this will continue. This is only the first show, so who knows what could change (within reason, anyway).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
Plot twist: they defy the climatic ending trope closing with Through My Words of The Overing Sojourn as a second encore.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
ACOS! Now, that's a big surprise.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
I think it's an unexpected change of plans, too. The videos for and stage show for The Astonishing must have been incredibly costly, and I think they were expecting to get a little more use out of them than they eventually did. The last thing they need to do right now is commission another expensive stage show in the middle of the same tour cycle.

OMFG A WILD ROB WEBSTER APPEARS :omg: :omg:

« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
More updates : drum solo during Metropolis, front stage duo with JP and JR

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

Drum solo during Metropolis? That's a new one. Do you know if they did the cool jazzy thing before the final verse they did on Luna Park? It was a highlight for me!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
Everything Octavarius tells me, I write it on the forum so I don't know if they did the luna park version. Myung did a jazzy intro before As I Am, that's all I know.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
The only question left...is the encore solely ACOS, or is there anything after that?  (not that ACOS wouldn't be enough in and of itself)
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:59 PM »
I'm convinced it's only ACOS : it lasts more than 20min which is the average duration for a DT encore.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
I only have one question.

Did they play the "unbroken spirit" verse in TTT?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »
Great pro pic where you can see Mike's kit and Jordan's stand
https://m.facebook.com/EmanuelaVhBonetti/photos/a.1696622297228838.1073741828.1696179013939833/2192858460938550/?type=3&source=57&refid=52&ref=bookmarks&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&__tn__=E

Love this! Thanks for sharing.

That's something I REALLY want to see some footage of  :o

Also, did James need reanimation after the set? Just asking...  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline dodido253

« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »
By looking at the videos on Instagram it's seems that they played the I&W set half step down :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
That's really not a problem.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »
What is their fixation with AIA?? What a waste of 7 minutes in a set.
And TSCO...again??

Those are my complaints. Other than that..all good.

THIS. I'm gonna start to hate those songs... AIA never was special to me, and TSCO is going to make it in every gig I've seen them 'till now  :(

Anyway, ACOS was very expected and is indeed very welcome. I'm just missing some 6DOIT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »
I only have one question.

Did they play the "unbroken spirit" verse in TTT?
Yes.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
Labrie was definitely the highlight of  the show, he did what I thought would be humanly impossible and managed to keep very consistent and powerful for the entire show. He did sound like he was at least 10 years younger.

And that F#... damn  :metal
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
By looking at the videos on Instagram it's seems that they played the I&W set half step down :(

I know it's very hard to, but can someone confirm that? There's nothing wrong with that, anyway.

Labrie was definitely the highlight of  the show, he did what I thought would be humanly impossible and managed to keep very consistent and powerful for the entire show. He did sound like he was at least 10 years younger.

And that F#... damn  :metal

That's great to hear!  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »
I am interested to hear whether I&W was indeed tuned down. I don't mind it personally, I think changing the sound slightly would make it sound fresh in addition to being a bit easier on the throat for James.

I really like the set, although I would maybe replace BAI with A New Beginning and The Spirit Carries On for Lines in the Sand following Hell's Kitchen. Really awesome to see HK being played finally though!

Offline Aninhatbs

« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
Is that true that they will playing The Count of Tuscany too? With ACOS and Hell's Kitchen??? Woow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
Is that true that they will playing The Count of Tuscany too? With ACOS and Hell's Kitchen??? Woow.

No count

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
Drum solo during Metropolis? That's a new one.
Actually, it's not. Did you forget about the 2 shows at the beginning of the Music in Progress tour with the weird setlist (opening with Learning to Live!) that also featured Metropolis with a short drum solo? Altho I'm curious to know if they put the solo in the same place or not.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
they mangini'd the part after the bass-solo, there's a video on instagram of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6Diy5jVwE/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:45:43 PM by Schurftkut »

Offline CoT67

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »

I'd say maybe that was the case and it would explain the ease Labrie had in doing the hardest parts.

To be honest though I didn't notice, and if it helped him to sing the original melodies then I'd say it was a good choice.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
they mangini'd the part after the bass-solo, there's a video on instagram of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6Diy5jVwE/

Very cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
Anyone want to spare a fella from sifting through 6 pages of thread and type out the set list from the show?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind