Author Topic: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS  (Read 61446 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »
As I Am with an excerpt from Enter Sandman  :metal :metal leading to Breaking All Illusions

They probably thought they were playing Peruvian Skies instead  ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
Right, as it is the end of the first set and as we know what the second set will be about, I'm gonna stop posting things. Octavarious will update if there are any changes in the song, any soli or excerpts and I hope he will post some pics of the merchandising. See you for the encore!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Right, as it is the end of the first set and as we know what the second set will be about, I'm gonna stop posting things. Octavarious will update if there are any changes in the song, any soli or excerpts and I hope he will post some pics of the merchandising. See you for the encore!

Could you please ask him if JP used the NOMAC Majesty for the TA tracks?  :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
I'm assuming BAI will end set 1

I thought this too, but, no A New Beginning?  :'(
Definitely surprised that this one didn't make it, or Moment of Betrayal for that matter. Bosk, what was the song you were commenting earlier that lended itself to be perfect for a guitar solo? TSCO?

I like both songs much more than A Life Left Behind and Our New World  :-\
You and me both, altho I do like ALLB more than the rest of the album, especially the intro.

BAI is a top 5 DT song for me, the rest are like "okay,cool I guess". Still excited to go though!
I'd rather they had done something else other than BAI since it's already been played extensively on the Dramatic and AftR tours, and most other tracks haven't.

My buddy said the first set looks like someone put DT on shuffle,  and then just jotted down what played.  "yup.  That's gonna be the set!"
Aside from the first few tracks, I agree that the first set is underwhelming, altho I'm glad to see that they were willing to throw in a bit of Enter Sandman - gives me hope that maybe they've changed some more stuff up that Octavarious hasn't relayed to the keyboard wizard when giving him the setlist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Yea besides the opening tracks, it seems DT went DT by the numbers afterwards.  It's OK though, there's lots of goodies in the set and they can't do a whole set without including some staples (AIA, TSCO, BAI).

Offline ReinoudW

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »

Aside from the first few tracks, I agree that the first set is underwhelming, altho I'm glad to see that they were willing to throw in a bit of Enter Sandman - gives me hope that maybe they've changed some more stuff up that Octavarious hasn't relayed to the keyboard wizard when giving him the setlist.
[/quote]
I must say I am very pleased with this so far. Yes, some songs have been played quite often on recent tours, but I do not mind so much as these are great songs! BAI is my all time favorite song, so cannot hear that enough. And some nice surprises with TBP and HK. Now, let's hope for that encore!!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
Yea besides the opening tracks, it seems DT went DT by the numbers afterwards.  It's OK though, there's lots of goodies in the set and they can't do a whole set without including some staples (AIA, TSCO, BAI).

Agreed. Good stuff so far for the most part.

Also - someone mentioned a Enter Sandman jam at the end of As I Am?! Maybe this signals a willingness to throw some jams in here and there?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
Yea, the Enter Sandman part makes me hopeful that they add little extras like that in the future  :metal

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »
A couple of short clips are online already, namely the ending of TBP and the first verse of Spirit: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/dreamtheater/

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »

Understood, but I RESPECTFULLY disagree. I'd feel it would have been better to play:
ANYTHING from TOT instead of AIA (especially SOC)
How about a rarely played "Through Her Eyes" instead of the played out TSCO
&
How about "Lost Not Forgotten" instead of BAI?

I'm not saying these are better or worse than the ones played, but just not OVERPLAYED!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Yea besides the opening tracks, it seems DT went DT by the numbers afterwards. 

I have no idea what this means, since "DT by the numbers" is...anything but "by the numbers."  :lol  That phrase just doesn't really hold any meaning to me, try as I might to understand it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline genome

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »
Just thinking about that transition from TBP to Hell's Kitchen (same key, right?) The big chord fading out into the synth. That's gonna be epic.

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »
James is out of tune in the final verse of tgb... not a good sign

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
What is their fixation with AIA?? What a waste of 7 minutes in a set.
And TSCO...again??

Those are my complaints. Other than that..all good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »
What is their fixation with AIA?? What a waste of 7 minutes in a set.
And TSCO...again??

Those are my complaints. Other than that..all good.

Both are overplayed songs indeed. Hope they change them in the future legs of the tour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »

Understood, but I RESPECTFULLY disagree. I'd feel it would have been better to play:
&

I'm not saying these are better or worse than the ones played, but just not OVERPLAYED!

Given the stated intent of relying heavily on fan favorites, with a couple of rarities (which we got in HK and TBP), none of your choices make sense over the ones that actually were played.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
That first set is...weird, I dunno. TDEN as an opener isn't something I would've pictured in a thousand years, and they really should give The Spirit Carries On a rest.

So happy to see Hell's Kitchen and The Bigger Picture there, tho.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
Robwester!!!

Great first set btw. Tsco has been played to death and beyond but hey that's the point of the song

Offline genome

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
That first set is...weird, I dunno. TDEN as an opener isn't something I would've pictured in a thousand years

Not sure why you feel that way. It thunders in with a big heavy riff, has a long enough intro for James to come out a bit later than the band like he often does - high energy, crowd-pleasing song. Ticks the boxes for me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean it was bad, just stated it was weird given they have so many songs that can open up a concert so nicely (in that album you have ITPOE Pt.1, which is still the best song SC has to offer IMO) and they still went after TDEN.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »

&

Given the stated intent of relying heavily on fan favorites, with a couple of rarities (which we got in HK and TBP), none of your choices make sense over the ones that actually were played.

I guess that's true. I guess then I have an issue with their "stated intent" ;)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »

&

It's true that there would be a focus on fan favorites, but certainly Endless Sacrifice could have been used to represent ToT this time around, which is something MM already knew. And for the European audiences, it would've been nice for them to finally get LNF or TiTL (both of which were never played there) instead of BAI for the third time around. And I'd wager Home is as much of a fan favorite as TSCO is, which IMO would be a much better choice and could have closed out the set, seeing as neither LNF or TiTL would be a good way to end the first set.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »

It's true that there would be a focus on fan favorites, but certainly Endless Sacrifice could have been used to represent ToT this time around, which is something MM already knew. And for the European audiences, it would've been nice for them to finally get LNF or TiTL (both of which were never played there) instead of BAI for the third time around. And I'd wager Home is as much of a fan favorite as TSCO is, which IMO would be a much better choice and could have closed out the set, seeing as neither LNF or TiTL would be a good way to end the first set.

Agreed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean it was bad, just stated it was weird given they have so many songs that can open up a concert so nicely (in that album you have ITPOE Pt.1, which is still the best song SC has to offer IMO) and they still went after TDEN.

ITPOE-1 would be quite a weird opener, I'd say. The introduction of JLB after 6 minutes or so, and in a quieter moment of the song, would feel absolutely anti-climatic.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
I guess I've just always had the idea that DT fans aren't your regular "play me the popular songs" kind of crowd. I've been going to DT shows since '96 and I can't remember a "non fan favorite" ::) getting any less of a reaction that say "PMU". Times change obviously, and they just want to play it safe I guess. Damn shame. So many great songs in their catalog. :censored

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »

ITPOE-1 would be quite a weird opener, I'd say. The introduction of JLB after 6 minutes or so, and in a quieter moment of the song, would feel absolutely anti-climatic.
They opened a couple of concerts back in 2009 with that one and I thought it was amazing, but yeah you kinda have a point.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline genome

« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP50GcbhV4R/

Cool lighting rig above that wasn't too clear from the other photos.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
AIA, TSCO, and PMU were all played at the end of TA tour so maybe since those songs were recently rehearsed, it allowed the guys to focus on other songs they haven't been playing.

I'm surprised they didn't play A New Beginning though.  I thought for sure that would be set 1's closer.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »

Leeds 2009. ItPoE1 was a supreme opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKbTb-eB3Q4&t=2m30s

No footage of James emerging, but the cheer was no quieter than any of the others...

Nothing against The Dark Eternal Night - it and ItPoE1 are the two perfect tens on that album, in my book - but man!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
So, it looks like there is no background video this tour! I wasn't expecting this, to say the least.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
So, it looks like there is no background video this tour! I wasn't expecting this, to say the least.
Good, they don't have to worry about that lining up with a click track and they can just play.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
Have a feeling it's a "money making" tour, to make back the potential profits lost on TA tours. That's probably why it's pretty bare bones. I like it better this way anyway. I want to watch the guys, and all the video stuff distracts from them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »
They didn't lose money on the TA tour.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

Quite disappointing considering how high is the average ticket's price

Offline robwebster

« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
I think it's an unexpected change of plans, too. The videos for and stage show for The Astonishing must have been incredibly costly, and I think they were expecting to get a little more use out of them than they eventually did. The last thing they need to do right now is commission another expensive stage show in the middle of the same tour cycle.